Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should they make a Columbo video game?
Yes.
No.
Dependent on how much Dog is in it.
View Results

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

WhiteHowler posted:

Okay, true, it's what you're lead to believe happened until the very end. But still, kidnapped Seowon had the same name as deceased baby Seowon, unless I really missed something.

Same first name, different last names. The confusion is intentional within the story too; the reason Seowon got kidnapped is that Minyeong was already wandering around the playgrounds looking for her daughter after the school notice worsened her delusions, and upon hearing a child being called "Seowon" who had no visible guardian (because the caretaker was out of sight due to the stuff on their side) immediately concluded she had found her and took her home (to literally everyone's dismay).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Nick Buntline posted:

Same first name, different last names. The confusion is intentional within the story too; the reason Seowon got kidnapped is that Minyeong was already wandering around the playgrounds looking for her daughter after the school notice worsened her delusions, and upon hearing a child being called "Seowon" who had no visible guardian (because the caretaker was out of sight due to the stuff on their side) immediately concluded she had found her and took her home (to literally everyone's dismay).

Okay, that makes a bit more sense explained that way. We didn't get the Reasons to suspect Seowon's mother unlocked until the very, very end, so for most of the story we thought the English teacher/ex-husband was responsible -- even when we figured out he didn't take a random kid for the ransom money, we thought he did it at the behest of his ex-wife who had become delusional with grief.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

cant cook creole bream posted:

I liked between horizons. The setting is fun and the puzzles were all quite well done. Except for one of them, which felt like I was missing a crucial mechanic and therefore messed up.

Another detective game I stumbled upon is
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1746030/__Murders_on_the_Yangtze_River/
So far (Chapter 3) those are some really well crafted cases which make you think but also make you feel smart about it. You also get to learn some stuff about Chinese history.
High recommendation from me.

I’ve heard the translation is pretty rough though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

theblackw0lf posted:

I’ve heard the translation is pretty rough though.

I found it alright, a few stray typos but otherwise fine.
There was an Update which specifically improved the English translation a few days ago. That probably fixed the glaring issues before they came up for me. Some scenes are voice-acted and since some of them are set in London, they actually have some voiced English scenes. Those are heavily accented, but that makes perfect sense in-universe.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 2, 2024

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

https://x.com/keke_094/status/1773478581248922079?s=20

Oh gently caress this is the most lit thing I've seen in videogames in maybe the past decade?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

touch detective loving rules and its a shame the first two games never really got a lot of attention back on the DS (leading to us initially not getting the third). Hoping this release gets more people interested in the trilogy :kiddo:

Cardamommy Issues
Feb 16, 2005

I've waited around for more important things
New Nancy Drew is announced dropping next month. My wife got me into them and we’re psyched it looks good. The Nancy Drew community is losing their collective poo poo.

https://youtu.be/5B_nRAyXtzQ?si=pBIL8kXkNcfswmmJ

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

islands of insight not going out without a fight, new content added today

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Cardamommy Issues posted:

New Nancy Drew is announced dropping next month. My wife got me into them and we’re psyched it looks good. The Nancy Drew community is losing their collective poo poo.

https://youtu.be/5B_nRAyXtzQ?si=pBIL8kXkNcfswmmJ

Jesus, that company was supposed be dead in the water. 70% of the staff has been gone since 2015, Her has always been in the red, and Midnight in Salem didn't sell great. I know the company was supposed to have some kind of big anonymous investor but I was sure they'd gone too overbudget to pay the bills by now.

Cardamommy Issues
Feb 16, 2005

You’d think their company was 1 social media person and some unpaid interns the way they’ve been acting the last couple of years. They used to pump out two games a year so nobody thought this new game would ever materialize after they cut the team loose.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I’m more than a little concerned that they spread themselves thin, especially with the number of suspects in the trailer. The voice direction seems about as bad as Midnight in Salem’s was, even the normally good Brittany Cox sounded flat here compared to Lani Minella’s Nancy. Still gonna play it, just going in with lowered expectations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Stayed up way too late tonight finishing up The Roottrees are Dead. Incredibly enjoyable, though I did need a nudge when I started to run out of momentum somewhere around 30-35 family members identified and another nudge to lock the last pieces in before the big "final question" (which I already knew the answer to, that part was fine).
Can't wait for the remade/remastered version, the AI art definitely caused some headaches and made identifying some people a lot harder than it probably needed to be. Definitely going to be a day one purchase.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey! Just cross-posting from the classic adventure thread, after I was pointed this way. (Apologies - I'm on my phone right now!)

Major Isoor posted:

Hey there! As I've recently played through the rerelease of Blade Runner on Steam, I've regained the itch for a classic investigation/adventure games. I've been out of the loop for a long time, however the main thing I remember from the classic P&Cs is that so many of them involved focusing on pixel-hunting for tiny items and backtracking endlessly, due to finding key #42 which unlocks a door near the start, giving you safe combination #12 towards the end, which has a false back revealing a secret compartment that also has a false back (requiring a walkthrough to notice) which contains the handle to a broken lever in some other section of the game, etc. etc.

SO! What I'm wondering is, are there any suggestions for either modern adventure games, or classics that hold up/are playable? (Preferably on Steam, to make things easy) Ideally something that involves talking/investigating something, but I'm open to other recommendations too. I've played LA Noire already of course, which although it doesn't fall into this category exactly, it does scratch a similar itch to Blade Runner - seeing as it's about finding/examining evidence, talking to people, etc. Apologies if this is already covered BTW - I didn't see Blade Runner in one of the OP's categories, so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask

I've played Disco Elysium of course, which was amazing - but if anyone has any other investigation game picks, I'd greatly appreciate it!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Pure investigation I would strongly recommend return of the obra finn. For questioning and investigating, Contradiction is a fun fmv romp. The centennial case I haven't played but I believe also falls into the latter category

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Major Isoor posted:

Hey! Just cross-posting from the classic adventure thread, after I was pointed this way. (Apologies - I'm on my phone right now!)

I've played Disco Elysium of course, which was amazing - but if anyone has any other investigation game picks, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
The Roottrees are Dead
Hypnospace Outlaw
Shadows of Doubt if you don't mind janky early access

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh interesting, I recall seeing Obra Dinn a while back, but didn't realise it was that type of game at all. I'll check out your suggestions, thanks!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
OP is somewhat dated but has good suggestions.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Major Isoor posted:

I'm currently playing Pentiment since it came out on PS4, and I love it! I also adored Obra Dinn, and Paradise Killer was my favorite game of 2020, although that requires a bit of basic platforming, etc.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Megazver posted:

OP is somewhat dated but has good suggestions.

Anything I should add?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

Anything I should add?

Unheard: Voices of Crime
https://store.steampowered.com/app/942970/Unheard__Voices_of_Crime/

The Sekimeiya: Spun Glass
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1432500/The_Sekimeiya_Spun_Glass/

Judgement and Lost Judgement
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2058180/Judgment/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2058190/Lost_Judgment/

The Roottrees are Dead
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2754380/The_Roottrees_are_Dead/

Overboard
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1546920/Overboard/

Painscreek Killings
https://store.steampowered.com/app/624270/The_Painscreek_Killings/

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1967430/Ghost_Trick_Phantom_Detective/

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Oh interesting, I recall seeing Obra Dinn a while back, but didn't realise it was that type of game at all. I'll check out your suggestions, thanks!

You gotta play Obra Dinn, Major. Drop everything and play it

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
As one of probably not very many people who completed The Sekimeiya: Spun Glass, I think it's a pretty neat experience, but with a couple of caveats:

- There's not very much actual gameplay in it, it's largely a visual novel with very few branching choices. Most of the interactivity comes down to a quiz near the end of the game before they start explaining everything (the quiz doesn't actually affect anything, it's just for fun to see how well you managed to figure out the plot. Speaking of which...)

- The story sacrifices characterization, theme, pacing, tension, drama, pretty much everything that makes a story a story in order to weave its elegantly complex ontological mystery. It is a very good puzzle box of a plot if that's what you're looking for, with an explanation that mostly ties up everything neatly at the end of the game, but if you're not interested in the personality-free narrator bringing everything to a screeching halt every few minutes to bloviate another convoluted theory at you that's immediately disproven by the next scene, this may not be the one for you.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Inadequately posted:

As one of probably not very many people who completed The Sekimeiya: Spun Glass, I think it's a pretty neat experience, but with a couple of caveats:

- There's not very much actual gameplay in it, it's largely a visual novel with very few branching choices. Most of the interactivity comes down to a quiz near the end of the game before they start explaining everything (the quiz doesn't actually affect anything, it's just for fun to see how well you managed to figure out the plot. Speaking of which...)

- The story sacrifices characterization, theme, pacing, tension, drama, pretty much everything that makes a story a story in order to weave its elegantly complex ontological mystery. It is a very good puzzle box of a plot if that's what you're looking for, with an explanation that mostly ties up everything neatly at the end of the game, but if you're not interested in the personality-free narrator bringing everything to a screeching halt every few minutes to bloviate another convoluted theory at you that's immediately disproven by the next scene, this may not be the one for you.

adding to this its also pretty long. hltb has it at ~40-50 hours. i quit after 4 1/2 and hadnt finished chapter 1 despite being a fast reader.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've just finished the first case of https://store.steampowered.com/app/2128480/Staffer_Case_A_Supernatural_Mystery_Adventure/, and it seems like some good stuff. the game is not new, but the english translation is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardamommy Issues
Feb 16, 2005

The new Nancy Drew game doesn’t appear to be launching on Steam. They’re going with their old service that removes your ability to redownload it after a certain period of time lol.

Just charge $5 more for a Steam version and make more money from a much wider audience bing bong so simple.

Edit- oooh they’ve added an option to switch between a fixed camera “click edge of the screen to move” style and a “walk around in a 3D space” style that’s interesting.