Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should they make a Columbo video game?
Yes.
No.
Dependent on how much Dog is in it.
View Results

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://itch.io/jam/the-case-of-the-thinky-game-jam A detective game jam that will run Dec 1st to Dec 18th. The creators of the Case of the Golden Idol are going to publish a talk on how to make a game like theirs when the jam starts.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Superrodan posted:

Today I bit the bullet and released my game. I started it in January during the global game jam, and expected it to only take me a few months but I kept improving it and making changes and getting feedback and whoops it's November now. It's pretty rare that I make something and think "man I think this might be pretty good" but one of the reasons I spent so long on it is that as I playtested it with a lot of fans of the games its inspired by Obra Dinn and Her Story and they generally seemed to like it so I kept making it better.

Due to its heavy use on AI generated art and due to its "low budget" reliance on mostly text for the puzzle content I'm releasing it for free. That said, its still a significant game. It takes approximately 8 hours to beat minimum.

If you like logic/deduction games, or if you know people who do, please check it out or encourage people to check it out. I'm just spending my day trying to blast it anywhere I think might appreciate it, because my absolute nightmare scenario right now is that I release a game that definitely has an audience and nobody notices.

https://jjohnstongames.itch.io/the-roottrees-are-dead
At first glance very stylistically reminiscent of the Owlskip Enterprises games, definitely worth some attention.
Finally got around to this, and had a pretty pleasant time typing key words (or pasting them at some points) and copying articles to the in-game notepad. Only noticed a few typos overall, and there's some amusing asides. I'd figured out the basics of the secret long before I was asked but tracking down the clues or pictures to definitively tie certain names was tricky. At the very very end I couldn't figure out like 3 of the spouses and had to guess on one profession which I probably just missed a very small descriptive text that would've gotten me, but overall I didn't have to wildly guess (I was convinced on on particular branch earlier than I finally stumbled upon the information, but that's on me for not realizing a keyword I'd had since the beginning of the case, lol). Very satisfying to get the tree filled out.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Just finished Paranormasight! I thought it was pretty good. There are only a few times when you're asked to make real deductions but it does force you to think creatively several times which was cool and its a got a good narrative with fun characters.

I didn't mind (end spoilers)the twist at the end since it was always a thing that Yoko was bizarrely absent for the whole game, her curse never showed up, it didn't make sense for anyone else to have killed Shogo and they also said early on that a smart mastermind would just not do anything and wait until the very end before revealing themselves. That said it's a pretty forced misdirect that in the main timeline Shogo apparently forced her into a taxi, went back to the park, she got out of the taxi, followed him back and then killed him. Instead of just killing him on-screen immediately as soon as he says they should leave.

Also, it doesn't make any sense for the Beckoning Light to show up at the point it does. Kiiind of an asspull. I spent a long time trying to find something to do in the scenes after the Light actually appears in the story when it makes sense so it feels cheap that it was just randomly in the park at that exact moment, not even that close to where it's supposed to be.

Still I did think it was good and I'd love to see a sequel following Mio and Yakko, psychic schoolgirl detectives! Mio was my favorite character.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I just loved all the Lip Acting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmQjlRf9T_k

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Lol, that was super distracting. I get that it was probably to save budget but still hilarious with them just randomly puckering their lips all the time.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

finished golden idol and all the dlc last night. overall a really tight, entertaining game. much like obra dinn there was occasionally a frustrating issue of semantics I had to look up but overall it's p intuitive

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Golden Idol and Obra Dinn are so good I wish there was a drug I could take that would make me forget them so I could play them for the first time over and over.

My entire gaming existence is chasing that high.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I could never make heads or tails of what I was looking at in Obra Dinn no matter how I changed the filters. Seemed like such a cool game too.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I could never make heads or tails of what I was looking at in Obra Dinn no matter how I changed the filters. Seemed like such a cool game too.

That's a drat shame

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i still need to identify the last three whatstheirfaces, but i didn't want to just do the trick of picking them in an arbitrary order to unlock the ending. but it gets a little dull to try to find the clues throughout the whole story for them

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
There's some logic to where you should look for the clues, if you know their occupation or close relatives. You shouldn't be searching at random, you should be wondering who'd know about them.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Finally got around to the Case of the Golden Idol DLCs.

They're pretty good. The music in the first one slaps.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A friend gifted me the Makoto Wakaido Case Files on steam and I've played through the first two cases. They're each pretty short and there's only four cases so all in all this does strike me as a decent bite-sized whodunnit. It's also rather easy but instead of brute forcing the answer I do enjoy thinking them through.

The first one was pretty linear and basic and it was having a hard time keeping my attention up until the very point when it became really interesting and I was suddenly asked to remember how well I caught a few incongruent details in the course of the linear and honestly kind of rote progression. So in the end I came away impressed with the first case file, even if it took a while to get to that point. I do wish much of it didn't feel like busywork even if the final jolt made it clear that I was expected to be paying proper attention.

The second case was more of a conventional mystery adventure game, even if the UI was just clunky enough to encourage me to meticulously browse location after location every time I got new information. I was rather more interested in this from the off especially as it became clear that the situation was much messier than it appeared at a glance. The game also implied, but took pains not to outright state, the sheer degree of exploitation being involved here and to an extent I was thankful the game chose to be tasteful about a potentially pretty horrific topic. There was an extra twist involved that didn't really add much to the mystery as a whole and felt like the dev being a little self-indulgent with meta-playfulness but aside from that it was a solidly gripping murder mystery. It would've taken me an hour instead of an hour and a half if the UI were a little more streamlined, however.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Runa posted:

A friend gifted me the Makoto Wakaido Case Files on steam and I've played through the first two cases.

I finished playing that first case a few days ago and that exact reveal really delighted me. I remember thinking at the time "Oh, kinda clumsy storytelling to just say this necklace belongs to a cultist without evidence, but I guess its an indie game and you have to move the plot along." It really lit my brain on fire when it was laid out just how intentionally suspicious that clue really was.

I wasn't sure I was going to continue with the game but if the other cases have the teeth to it you're suggesting, I might have to return to it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Oh nifty. I tried the demo and never finished the first case so just wrote it off as not for me, but I must have stop before it got interesting. Maybe I will give the full game a try one of these days.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Buck Wildman posted:

finished golden idol and all the dlc last night. overall a really tight, entertaining game. much like obra dinn there was occasionally a frustrating issue of semantics I had to look up but overall it's p intuitive

I’m getting to the age where it’s kind of rare for games to elicit anything new in me, so I appreciate Golden Idol for making me think ”That was…sordid.” for the first time about anything.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2-33i6F_hU
New Detective Grimoire game coming out next year. I should get around to playing the first two.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Grimmoire always seemed to reinvent what it was going for with each entry, so I'm honestly kind of relieved that this one seems to have finally settled into the investigation dynamic quo we got in Tangled Tower.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Snooze Cruise posted:

New Detective Grimoire game coming out next year. I should get around to playing the first two.

:neckbeard:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So someone made a free browser based game heavily inspired by Obra Dinn that is quite good. Starts easy and gets progressively more challenging. Really scratched that Obra Dinn/Golden Idol itch for me.

quote:

The year is 1998. A private jet belonging to the Roottree Corporation has crashed. On it were The Roottree Sisters and their parents. Combined, they were worth over a billion dollars.

Now, due to the eccentricities of their great, great grandfather, Elias their money must be redistributed to the rest of the family. But who's actually a BLOOD RELATIVE? That's where you come in.

Armed only with the power of your mighty dial-up modem, you'll scour for photos, books, articles, and other evidence. Then, you'll make connections and deductions based on the family relationships you uncover. With every spot on the tree you fill in correctly the names and photos left in your possession will have fewer and fewer places to go, but the evidence will also be harder and more obscure to find.

Can you find the final pieces of the puzzle?

Also I would totally call Outer Wilds a detective game.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 7, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

So someone made a free browser based game heavily inspired by Obra Dinn that is quite good. Starts easy and gets progressively more challenging. Really scratched that Obra Dinn/Golden Idol itch for me.

"Someone" being goon dev Superrodan

Superrodan posted:

Today I bit the bullet and released my game. I started it in January during the global game jam, and expected it to only take me a few months but I kept improving it and making changes and getting feedback and whoops it's November now. It's pretty rare that I make something and think "man I think this might be pretty good" but one of the reasons I spent so long on it is that as I playtested it with a lot of fans of the games its inspired by Obra Dinn and Her Story and they generally seemed to like it so I kept making it better.

Due to its heavy use on AI generated art and due to its "low budget" reliance on mostly text for the puzzle content I'm releasing it for free. That said, its still a significant game. It takes approximately 8 hours to beat minimum.

If you like logic/deduction games, or if you know people who do, please check it out or encourage people to check it out. I'm just spending my day trying to blast it anywhere I think might appreciate it, because my absolute nightmare scenario right now is that I release a game that definitely has an audience and nobody notices.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

fez_machine posted:

"Someone" being goon dev Superrodan

Oops totally missed that. Well they did a fantastic job.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

Oops totally missed that. Well they did a fantastic job.

It's happened multiple times across threads because they only posted about it in the making games thread

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Snooze Cruise posted:

gently caress yes
(you can skip the first one and not miss much imo, it's not bad or anything but compared to the second one it feels a lot shorter and less polished, and only like one or two plot points carry over to the sequel anyway)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i think i played the first one of those games on newgrounds like 20 years ago lol

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Meowywitch posted:

i think i played the first one of those games on newgrounds like 20 years ago lol

i remember that one, it was more of a proof of concept for the "real" first game than anything, though by newgrounds standards it was ridiculously well-made

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
Some other detective type games in the vein of Roottrees, inspired by Obra Dinn, are by Tim Sheinman - main ones are Family and Rivals.
https://tim-sheinman.itch.io/family
https://tim-sheinman.itch.io/rivals

Same concept of poring through info which is doled out bit by bit to make connections between people and events.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I can't figure out Edward and Eli C.'s jobs, can someone just tell me or at least tell me where to find the answer because it's past midnight and I'm just two dropdowns away from finishing this thing

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Argue posted:

I can't figure out Edward and Eli C.'s jobs, can someone just tell me or at least tell me where to find the answer because it's past midnight and I'm just two dropdowns away from finishing this thing

I just finished Roottrees myself, so I can help out with some hints and then the actual solution if you still want some mystery.

Eli C's starting point: Start looking at his kid

Slightly more helpful hint: Look for an interview

Source of the solution: Modern Music Monthly - Jim Roottree

The solution: Advertising

As for Edward, you can start with the diary

The solution is located in the entry labeled Clark. More specifically, the answer is Lawyer

I missed out on that clue for the longest time, and ended up brute forcing the answer for Edward. I only noticed it after the fact.

DemoneeHo fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 7, 2023

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Thanks! That helped! I must have looked over those two pieces of evidence like two dozen times each while trying to fill out those last two and somehow missed those lines.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
While I'll not lie that I sort of hoped Color Gray Games would conjure up a new world (or at least different oddities) since The Case of the Golden Idol seemed pretty complete after the DLC, I'm also super down for more investigations from this team, so good on them for grabbing that Netflix payday.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2716400/The_Rise_of_the_Golden_Idol/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256986658/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1701995788

quote:

The Award-winning detective saga returns. Uncover the truth behind 15 strange cases of crime, death and depravity in the 1970s. The world has changed dramatically - the sins of humanity have not.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Holy gently caress, well they've earned it. I only wish we'd also get another game following the protagonist of Obra Dinn.

edit: that might be something in that trailer notebook...

The trailer's loaded with little easter eggs too!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 8, 2023

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Oh cool, they're sticking with the Golden Idol as a series name.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

loving stoked gimme that gold idol goodness

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

need more stories that end with the idiot black sheep saving the world and not even realizing the scope of it, going HAW HAW HAW I'S DA GREATEST as he has wine with the beautiful woman

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you go to their Discord, you can sign up to be a playtester for this.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I have just finished the Makato Wakaido casefiles, and I've got one lingering question:

Who was Akane Izmuikawa's brother? It's clearly set up to have been someone from another of the cases, but I can't recall who else has that last name.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Thanks for the rec of the roottrees are dead and congrats to superrodan for making an engaging game! It took me maybe 8 hours in between a bunch of stuff over 2 days and was really fun, I felt like I was going crazy when I realised the trick of finding out the printing company and the author's other name. I missed one optional clue (the founders other photo?) and I never found the first volume of the history of candy, how do you get those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I missed one optional clue (the founders other photo?) and I never found the first volume of the history of candy, how do you get those?
The first spoiler should be on the '36 issue of Business Watch and for the second you're just expected to do a little leap of logic - you're directed to "The Sweet History of Candy: Volume 2" by the 5Pieces web search, but if there's a Volume 2, there should be a Volume 1, right? So you just change the number manually on the Library search, same author.