Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

mbt posted:

they invented a new kind of hyperspace to explain why everyone in the galaxy could see a planet explode

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

symbolic posted:

anyways i never cared for Star Wars much but i watched like 5 of the new films cuz it was an easy thing for my friends to agree on seeing together. Rogue One was actually pretty good+Solo had a few cool scenes but the trilogy got worse with each new movie imo. i never fall asleep during movies but i passed out for like twenty minutes during Rise of Skywalker. abysmal

Rogue One is a completely average, by the numbers Hollywood war movie, which is good enough to be the best star wars movie in thirty years lol

Eagle vs. Shark was a movie I don't remember anything about except that it was terrible and we turned it off almost immediately. Actively unpleasant characters which I think was the point? but I didn't feel like enduring an hour plus of that

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I want to watch Lord and Miller’s Solo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mbt posted:

they invented a new kind of hyperspace to explain why everyone in the galaxy could see a planet explode

IGNIS: That's it! I've come up with a new hyperspace!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

the mst3k revival is one of the most disappointing things ive ever seen.

ok movie selection with some real reddit-tier jump cut commentary

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mbt posted:

I thought it was okay but they tried to cram way too many jokes into the riffs. The pacing just feels way wrong compared to classic mst3k

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Rogue one had some cool scenes, solo, like all the new Star Wars shows except the first mandalorian season, is insanely boring

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Plutonis posted:

the kamikaze stuff was so funny like how the gently caress in the thousands of years that this franchise spanned no one realized that this could actually be used as a tactic. like the empire spent so much time and resources building death stars when they could just make an unmanned star destroyer with warp drives and chuck them at planets

it's incredibly stupid if you stop to think about it but it also looked sick as hell so i'm willing to forgive it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh yeah last jedi did look real nice. whoever did cinematography/art design did qa good job

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mbt posted:

idk why i was so excited for that but yeah it fuckin sucked. good movie picks, some of the worst jokes written by man

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

buffalo all day posted:

solo, like all the new Star Wars shows except the first mandalorian season, is insanely boring

the more i think about it the more i think i agree w/ you because im trying to remember the cool scenes i mentioned but it's just every scene with Lando & everything else is hazy

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i liked th kessel run at the end but everything else was just kind of eh. donald glover did a good job as lando though

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I always felt bad for the guy who played Han since they tried to like pin the whole failure of the movie on him instead of admitting it was because they fired the director halfway through and reshot half the movie. Disney was putting all these stories out there about how terrible he was and they needed to hire an acting coach for him and all this mess, when I thought his performance was one of the highlights, I thought he had a fun take on a young Han Solo instead of just doing a Harrison Ford impression like Donald Glover did a (admittedly pretty drat good) Billy Dee Williams impression.

Glover mispronouncing “Han” through the whole move in the same way Lando did in the original trilogy was a cute touch though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Punished Chuck posted:

I always felt bad for the guy who played Han since they tried to like pin the whole failure of the movie on him instead of admitting it was because they fired the director halfway through and reshot half the movie. Disney was putting all these stories out there about how terrible he was and they needed to hire an acting coach for him and all this mess, when I thought his performance was one of the highlights, I thought he had a fun take on a young Han Solo instead of just doing a Harrison Ford impression like Donald Glover did a (admittedly pretty drat good) Billy Dee Williams impression.

Glover mispronouncing “Han” through the whole move in the same way Lando did in the original trilogy was a cute touch though

lol really? i liked that guy, he did a good job as young han. fuckin disney

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Punished Chuck posted:

instead of admitting it was because they fired the director halfway through and reshot half the movie

oh i didnt know that lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

oh i didnt know that lol

they brought in fuckin ron howard lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

symbolic posted:

oh i didnt know that lol

Yeah it was originally supposed to be Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. I think I heard rumors it was the Han Solo actor also complaining about the movie direction. Like it was too goofy for him or something

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I thought the guy who played young Han did a good job. I enjoyed the movie and of course Woody Harrelson is always great to see but I can barely remember anything about it

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

lol really? i liked that guy, he did a good job as young han. fuckin disney

Yeah right before the movie released when people were expressing skepticism about the movie with all the reshoots and everything the internet got flooded with stories like this: https://movieweb.com/han-solo-star-wars-alden-ehrenreich-bad-performance-acting-coach/

I think it hurt him bad too, between Solo releasing in 2016 and this year the only role he’s had is the Brave New World show that everyone forgot about. Looks like he’s got 4 roles that either have or will come out this year though, hopefully he’s recovering.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

herculon posted:

Yeah it was originally supposed to be Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. I think I heard rumors it was the Han Solo actor also complaining about the movie direction. Like it was too goofy for him or something

Great move to hire two guys known for making fun, goofy movies and then fire them and redo it all when they try to make the movie fun and goofy.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol thinkin about it solo is in my top five star wars movies isnt it. lmfao

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Tlj was my fav of the nustar wars but they all sucked out loud.

Also that other poster is wrong, the man who killed Hitler than Bigfoot is a cool movie just weird as hell and not action packed like the title would lead u to believe

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Punished Chuck posted:

Yeah right before the movie released when people were expressing skepticism about the movie with all the reshoots and everything the internet got flooded with stories like this: https://movieweb.com/han-solo-star-wars-alden-ehrenreich-bad-performance-acting-coach/

I think it hurt him bad too, between Solo releasing in 2016 and this year the only role he’s had is the Brave New World show that everyone forgot about. Looks like he’s got 4 roles that either have or will come out this year though, hopefully he’s recovering.

Remember seeing him in the okay teen film beautiful creatures and thought 'this guys got it', then saw him save hail caesar! with his turn as the western star inexplicably cast in a period drama. Hope he gets some less cursed projects

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
i dont understand the poo poo disney does where they hire these successful directors w/ some unique style and then apparently, according to interviews, completely breathe down their neck and have them just make movies be by the numbers as possible. i guess their just using their hyped up names for cheap marketing. its lame

thanks for the epic sig el spider

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I would simply have read the scripts before spending hundreds of millions making movies

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the sex ghost posted:

Remember seeing him in the okay teen film beautiful creatures and thought 'this guys got it', then saw him save hail caesar! with his turn as the western star inexplicably cast in a period drama. Hope he gets some less cursed projects

Hail Caesar! was good wtf do u mean save

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

P-Mack posted:

I would simply have read the scripts before spending hundreds of millions making movies

One of Disney's big issues when it comes to these movies is the constant rewrites while in production and drumming up the previsuals for action scenes before even having scripts. So you end up with a director changing things on the fly to fit executive needs and trying to edit/redo the previz stuff to either match the changes or to alter the look to fit their sensibilities.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

symbolic posted:

Hail Caesar! was good wtf do u mean save

I remember it as being just okay apart from a few notable scenes and he was a standout but admittedly I haven't seen it since I saw it at the pictures. Will add it to the rewatch list

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the sex ghost posted:

I remember it as being just okay apart from a few notable scenes and he was a standout but admittedly I haven't seen it since I saw it at the pictures. Will add it to the rewatch list

it definitely aint among the Coen Bros' best and it did end up feeling kinda disjointed but it wasnt bad at all imo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hail caesar is good, its not all time great but its fun and funny and had some wicked good scenes in it (the dance number was absolutely jaw-dropping)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It’s my least favorite Coen Brothers movie out of what I’ve seen but “least favorite Coen Brothers movie” is an extremely relative term lol, it’s still a solid watch.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

hail caesar is good, its not all time great but its fun and funny and had some wicked good scenes in it (the dance number was absolutely jaw-dropping)

i actually rewatched No Dames just now thnx to this convo, and it's still some excellent choreography. casually yankin tablecloths out from under dudes tapdancing takes some mad skill

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fucker posted:

i dont understand the poo poo disney does where they hire these successful directors w/ some unique style and then apparently, according to interviews, completely breathe down their neck and have them just make movies be by the numbers as possible. i guess their just using their hyped up names for cheap marketing. its lame

Every single Marvel movie looks and sounds exactly the same, it'd be impressive if it wasn't so stupid. I'll still keep drinking that trash though

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Every single Marvel movie looks and sounds exactly the same, it'd be impressive if it wasn't so stupid. I'll still keep drinking that trash though

Hiring a director with a unique style who's known for their interesting and unusual movies to direct Robert Downey Jr. in the twelfth consecutive movie where he smirks at the camera and says "well that just happened"

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Worst movie I ever saw in theaters was dark shadows. How does Tim burton keep getting projects, it’s crazy. I was crawling out of my skin at how bad the dialogue was

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Jenny Agutter posted:

Worst movie I ever saw in theaters was dark shadows. How does Tim burton keep getting projects, it’s crazy. I was crawling out of my skin at how bad the dialogue was

someone ought to just coerce him to make Nightmare Before Christmas 2 so he can retire on a solid-gold yacht from that

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

I don't get it either he hasn't made a good movie since Sleepy Hollow lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

I don't get it either he hasn't made a good movie since Sleepy Hollow lol

kind of a stretch callin sleepy hollow a good movie too, its fun but it's schlocky as hell lol