Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Schlock can be good!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Schlock can be good!!

defintely lol, its just a pretty cheesy movie

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Schlock can be good!!

Kind of repeating my thoughts from earlier in the thread but I think this is why a conversation like this is always going to revolve around big Hollywood movies that everyone’s heard of, all the smaller stuff that’s bad is probably going to be bad in a fun way—it’s someone’s passion project that was executed poorly, or they did some interesting or funny tricks with the visual effects to try to mask how low the budget is, just generally they’ll probably end up as schlocky fun, or something that’s fun to laugh at. It takes the big Hollywood movies with huge marketing pushes to be truly miserable, with no love involved in their creation.

Like in terms of objective quality Feig’s Ghostbusters is probably a better movie than Wiseau’s The Room, to use a couple cliche examples, but no one’s hosting viewing parties of Ghostbusters 2016 and having fun laughing at how bad it is like they do with The Room—it’s just bad.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Punished Chuck posted:

Kind of repeating my thoughts from earlier in the thread but I think this is why a conversation like this is always going to revolve around big Hollywood movies that everyone’s heard of, all the smaller stuff that’s bad is probably going to be bad in a fun way—it’s someone’s passion project that was executed poorly, or they did some interesting or funny tricks with the visual effects to try to mask how low the budget is, just generally they’ll probably end up as schlocky fun, or something that’s fun to laugh at. It takes the big Hollywood movies with huge marketing pushes to be truly miserable, with no love involved in their creation.

Like in terms of objective quality Feig’s Ghostbusters is probably a better movie than Wiseau’s The Room, to use a couple cliche examples, but no one’s hosting viewing parties of Ghostbusters 2016 and having fun laughing at how bad it is like they do with The Room—it’s just bad.

idk man i agree on principle but my first post was the vince offer underground comedy movie tht was made on a shoestring and it sucks rear end through a pipe. dont think its that easy to boil down

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

and also like. paul feig was passionate about his idea of film-making. he wanted to create a framework for people he thinks are funny to go in and make funny jokes at each other. unfortunately hes also a loving moron hjack who went too far down that lane and the scripts probably like 40 pages total and thep eople he chose did a real lovely job of doing the rest of the movie on improv. theres a lot of ways to make bad movies i think, the studio system makes the most stinkers but real awful poo poo comes from every side of film-making

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Fungah! posted:

and also like. paul feig was passionate about his idea of film-making. he wanted to create a framework for people he thinks are funny to go in and make funny jokes at each other. unfortunately hes also a loving moron hjack who went too far down that lane and the scripts probably like 40 pages total and thep eople he chose did a real lovely job of doing the rest of the movie on improv. theres a lot of ways to make bad movies i think, the studio system makes the most stinkers but real awful poo poo comes from every side of film-making

Imagine hating women this much

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I thought whenever McKinnon and hemsworth were doing things that movie was watchable but I also don’t care about ‘bustin mythology or whatever poo poo people are invested in as it relates to the comedy movie series about ghosts

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

TheSwizzler posted:

Imagine hating women this much

this, unfotrunitley. i have taken down then ames of all posters denegrating womens rights victory's New Ghostbusters and Star Wars 8 and WILL be repotring them to the SAD IKs for cerimonial castration + summary execution. also Sucker Punch. lett his be a warning to the rest of you

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

buffalo all day posted:

I thought whenever McKinnon and hemsworth were doing things that movie was watchable but I also don’t care about ‘bustin mythology or whatever poo poo people are invested in as it relates to the comedy movie series about ghosts

they were 100% the best part but everyone else was boring as hell nd the plot wasnt interesting at all. and most of the jokes sucked too. your move, feminists

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Arch Nemesis posted:

this, unfotrunitley. i have taken down then ames of all posters denegrating womens rights victory's New Ghostbusters and Star Wars 8 and WILL be repotring them to the SAD IKs for cerimonial castration + summary execution. also Sucker Punch. lett his be a warning to the rest of you

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Fungah! posted:

they were 100% the best part but everyone else was boring as hell nd the plot wasnt interesting at all. and most of the jokes sucked too. your move, feminists

An entire gender…owned…

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Arch Nemesis posted:

Just a queued a ban for you

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Remembering when the internet came after James Rolfe for the crime of making a video saying he wouldn’t watch the new Ghostbusters

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

my least favorite coen bros movie was garfield

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I thought the guy who played young Han did a good job. I enjoyed the movie and of course Woody Harrelson is always great to see but I can barely remember anything about it

Exactly! The Han and Lando actors did a good job - definitely one of the movie's strongest points. I didn't like the fact that the Falcon was actually bigger and simply had a chunk taken out of it (partly because that doesn't make sense, as well as partly because it invalidates established lore that the original Falcon is what the Corellian YT-1300 looked like) but otherwise I found Solo to be fine, if a little boring at times.

Also, whoever said that TLJ's art direction was great is right - some of it was just spectacular to look at! It's... just a shame nothing else was good :v:

MacheteZombie posted:

Also that other poster is wrong, the man who killed Hitler than Bigfoot is a cool movie just weird as hell and not action packed like the title would lead u to believe

If you would like to administer a probe by proxy for this violation of the thread's topic, just say the word! :D

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Punished Chuck posted:

part of this is how 'badness' effects the genre, 'bad' action or drama movie becomes funny and ends up having merit again, a 'bad' comedy is completely worthless, as its incompetence does not morph it into anything entertaining.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

symbolic posted:

it definitely aint among the Coen Bros' best and it did end up feeling kinda disjointed but it wasnt bad at all imo

yeah its like ladykillers in which it's lowest tier coen filmography but still above most other stuff

MacheteZombie posted:

I don't get it either he hasn't made a good movie since Sleepy Hollow lol

i liked corpse bride!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

my least favorite coen bros movie was garfield

bill murray being tricked into believing one of them wrote the script ftw

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 3, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

If you would like to administer a probe by proxy for this violation of the thread's topic, just say the word! :D

Get em!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

o7 Consider it done! :D Sorry Blue Footed Booby, but it's the only way

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Plutonis posted:

the kamikaze stuff was so funny like how the gently caress in the thousands of years that this franchise spanned no one realized that this could actually be used as a tactic. like the empire spent so much time and resources building death stars when they could just make an unmanned star destroyer with warp drives and chuck them at planets
i just figure that real big spaceships like that are crazy 'spensive or take stupid long to build so they can't waste 'em

Fucker posted:

i dont understand the poo poo disney does where they hire these successful directors w/ some unique style and then apparently, according to interviews, completely breathe down their neck and have them just make movies be by the numbers as possible. i guess their just using their hyped up names for cheap marketing. its lame
the machine demands that all things be on-model and uniform

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Every single Marvel movie looks and sounds exactly the same, it'd be impressive if it wasn't so stupid. I'll still keep drinking that trash though
i wanna say i remember hearing that with the marvel movies the big name directors that are front and center only do the talky bits while the action scenes that make up most of the runtime are all handled by nameless second-unit directors. would explain a lot!

Punished Chuck posted:

there's a very marked difference between interesting-bad and boring-bad.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

That Little Demon posted:

Skinamarink is the only movie I ever regret buying a ticket for. I fell asleep twice and only woke up to a noise on screen designed to wake people up. Worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life. If the director ever finds work again it is proof that the world is a corrupt shithole.

Just finished it. I dig analog horror and I was primed to like this one. I did not.

I wouldn't be opposed to giving him another shot, though. I just think he needs an editor and a producer to reign him in.

Roth posted:

This quote from a review killed me

"The height of suspense here is wondering whether, say, a child or a demon knocked a few Legos over on the floor."

yep lol

olives black fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 6, 2023

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

olives black posted:

Just finished it. I dig analog horror and I was primed to like this one. I did not.

I wouldn't be opposed to giving him another shot, though. I just think he needs an editor and a producer to reign him in.

yep lol

Nothing can compare to the dread you feel when you realize “oh, the entire movie will be like this”

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

That Little Demon posted:

Nothing can compare to the dread you feel when you realize “oh, the entire movie will be like this”

Eh, I knew there were going to be long protracted shots and silence and a jumbled nightmare kind of vibe. Was I expecting a shot establishing that the whole thing was literally playing out over exactly 527 days? No. A four-year-old doesn't think about things at that scale.

It's also just way too loving long. 45-60 minutes would have made it hit much harder.

Finally, they really should have subtitled all of the kids' dialogue and not just selected lines. Children already talk like they have a mouthful of marbles, and if you're going to record the audio at wax-cylinder quality then just print what the gently caress they're saying on the screen, thanks.

I see and appreciate what Kyle Edward Ball was going for, but he just doesn't stick the landing.

EDIT: SMG's got the good reading, as usual:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In a certain way people are going too far and not far enough in their reading of Skinamarink. It's being dismissed as an experimental film even by the people who enjoyed it. Like, it's just got a 'cilantro vibe' because it's impenetrably 'artsy'. Or maybe they couldn't afford actors. Or we say it's got a dream-logic and leave it at that.

Skinamarink is a feature-length version of the director's short film Heck, where the characters are eventually revealed to be ghosts, haunting a house. So the premise and the narrative are actually very simple, but these open up a whole can of worms about what it means to 'be' a ghost, how it's possible to feel like a ghost, etc. The living audience certainly tends to have a very visceral reaction to this POV. So one basic answer to these questions, in the case of these characters, is that nobody sees them.

There are obvious parallels between this fictional situation and, say, abuse through neglect - but ghosts (only) exist because they haunt the minds of the living, so we can argue that the audience is actually put in something like the parental role. Grief is partly understood and expressed as an empathy for the dead.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

olives black fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 6, 2023

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

olives black posted:

Eh, I knew there were going to be long protracted shots and silence and a jumbled nightmare kind of vibe. Was I expecting a shot establishing that the whole thing was literally playing out over exactly 527 days? No. A four-year-old doesn't think about things at that scale.

It's also just way too loving long. 45-60 minutes would have made it hit much harder.

Finally, they really should have subtitled all of the kids' dialogue and not just selected lines. Children already talk like they have a mouthful of marbles, and if you're going to record the audio at wax-cylinder quality then just print what the gently caress they're saying on the screen, thanks.

I see and appreciate what Kyle Edward Ball was going for, but he just doesn't stick the landing.

EDIT: SMG's got the good reading, as usual:

Why are you posting this poo poo in the subforum created specifically to not see this poo poo

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

P-Mack posted:

Why are you posting this poo poo in the subforum created specifically to not see this poo poo

i checked the rules and it wasn't against them :maga:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

olives black posted:

im going to beat your rear end

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just remember k19-The Widowmaker had Harrison Ford doing a bad Russian accent. Lol

olives black posted:

Chain probes aint against the rules either :commissar:

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I just remembered Benjamin Button so I'm putting it here

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Suckerpunch by a big margin

forgot i saw this turd in a cinema

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

ozark

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

mbt posted:

the mst3k revival is one of the most disappointing things ive ever seen.

ok movie selection with some real reddit-tier jump cut commentary

What really weirded me out most were the many times where someone would flub a joke or something and they'd just restart and continue or there'd be some bizarre edit to skip around it. I legitimately thought they had hosed up with sending the wrong cut of the show to Netflix. But nobody watched it so I haven't been able to ask lol

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
If you want to know why the Jurassic World movies are the dumbest blockbuster movies ever made watch Book of Henry.

The other worst series I’ve seen is all of the Stalked by my Doctor movies starring Eric Roberts. They all have functionally the same plot but eventually Roberts’ crazy dr character starts seeing visions of himself in a Hawaiian shirt telling him to kill. This is never explained. Oh and every movie he has an imagined sex scene with a twenty year old woman and he’s like 65.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I saw Cops and Robbersons in the hospital. Fairly insulting but Jack Pallance is hype. The Young Rock is really lovely… Tim & Eric Billion Dollar movie is highly embarrassing, most things that are really bad I just stop watching. The Rambo where he goes on a rampage in Mexico because someone blew up his shed for example. Almost any Kevin Hart vehicle… I did watch all of Three From Hell due to being a Zombiehead and it was pretty close to the worst thing I ever watched entirely, but it is charming for Rob Zombie’s obvious admiration of his wife’s beauty.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The Saw series is also really insulting and lovely and I watched 6 of those. I’ve managed to never entirely see a Scary Movie.

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

i just watched Dragonball Evolution the other day, and it is probably the worst movie i have ever seen.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
maybe not the #1 worst film I've ever seen but one of the biggest letdowns I can remember recently was Sicario 2, it so completely missed the point of the first movie that I was legitimately surprised to learn they were written by the same guy

Mock Turtle
Jul 19, 2022

watched the deep house and lol that I thought the awkward, stilted dialogue was on purpose because they're failed youtube vloggers. and then it kept going when they were not vlogging. was probably the worst movie I've seen in the past few years.

Wormskull posted:

The Saw series is also really insulting and lovely and I watched 6 of those. I’ve managed to never entirely see a Scary Movie.

honestly I can't hate saw, I've picked up almost all of them at thrift stores and flea markets over the years and the behind-the-scenes production stuff is pretty cool. I respect the insane art direction.

haven't seen the new one because it looks like poo poo tho

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I saw Cops and Robbersons in the hospital. Fairly insulting but Jack Pallance is hype. The Young Rock is really lovely… Tim & Eric Billion Dollar movie is highly embarrassing, most things that are really bad I just stop watching. The Rambo where he goes on a rampage in Mexico because someone blew up his shed for example. Almost any Kevin Hart vehicle… I did watch all of Three From Hell due to being a Zombiehead and it was pretty close to the worst thing I ever watched entirely, but it is charming for Rob Zombie’s obvious admiration of his wife’s beauty.

i wtched diary of the dead because lord george romero ftw and its still one of the crappiest things i ever seen lmao

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

vyelkin posted:

maybe not the #1 worst film I've ever seen but one of the biggest letdowns I can remember recently was Sicario 2, it so completely missed the point of the first movie that I was legitimately surprised to learn they were written by the same guy

there's a Sicario 2?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Laura Dern kamikaze

Saw this in a theater & when this part happened the only audible sound was loud snoring from some dude who had fallen asleep. best and most memorable part of the movie