Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
You need to post your findings under the door for stolen item cases, just putting the item under the door is not enough. The method might vary but it'll tell you once you've filled the culprits name on the form. The written details did get added to your case file when the client told you they did, but it's poor formulation because they told you everything over the phone so there's nothing new.

You can't actually skip time, only fast forward, because the game still needs to simulate all citizens for the skipped interval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Chev posted:

You need to post your findings under the door for stolen item cases, just putting the item under the door is not enough. The method might vary but it'll tell you once you've filled the culprits name on the form.
I can't. It isn't registering that I put the prop gun in the mailbox.

It just remains unchecked. I even locked the mailbox!!!

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Locking the mailbox, needless to say, has nothing to do with it.

You can try switching to another case file and back to this one to re-evaluate the objectives. The checkmark isn't all that important at this stage though, it'll get reevaluated on submission. Check the list if stuff to do that appears on the right of the screen and see if the submission of findings is mentioned. If that doesn't work, still go check the client's door anyway and see if the prompt to submit is there, in which case just submit the findings.

If the check then comes out negative for both the prop and culprit at the conclusion then you just had the wrong prop, unlikely as it seems.

Chev fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 4, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah I did all that, switching back and forth, going to the door, etc. like I showed in that image, placing the prop gun in the mailbox is a required step before I can present. so I can’t present my findings (looking below the door only gives me the usual peek option). but the weird thing is that the upper-right task for putting the prop in the mailbox went away when I did it. so the game acknowledged that I did it, they just didn’t… count it, for whatever reason.

I may just load a save from before I took the case and try a different job.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 4, 2023

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I have found that sometimes you can fix bugs where the objective refuses to mark as complete by saving before you complete it, then reloading the game and trying again. I find particularly this helps with the "throw documents into the sea" objectives, which often don't seem to trigger properly; I save before I throw them in, and if it fails I reload and try again, and more often than not that seems to work.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Does a caught murderer leave the game world? Do new people come into a city? Would a city eventually depopulate?

From my experience, arrested murderers not only remain in the city, but are also more likely to commit later crimes. Also murdered people come back to life I think as soon as you solve their case. Looks like the citizen list is static.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Had a side job I completed and was told to pick up my reward from their mailbox. I open their mailbox and it's empty. However, the interact cursor did highlight my reward which had spawned in the mailbox above theirs. So I had to pick some rando's mailbox to get my reward. Not complaining, just hilarious.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Had a side job I completed and was told to pick up my reward from their mailbox. I open their mailbox and it's empty. However, the interact cursor did highlight my reward which had spawned in the mailbox above theirs. So I had to pick some rando's mailbox to get my reward. Not complaining, just hilarious.

Yep, I had that exact same bug happen to me, as well. I love the *idea* of this game (and wonder if its makers have ever played Sid Meier's Covert Action), but there is so much wrong with the execution of it right now, oh boy.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Forum accident posted:

From my experience, arrested murderers not only remain in the city, but are also more likely to commit later crimes. Also murdered people come back to life I think as soon as you solve their case. Looks like the citizen list is static.

Haha, I know it's one dev and I know it's Early Access, but this game needs to be set aside and returned to a year from now.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
PATCH!

quote:

Shadows of Doubt V 33.17 Patch Notes.

- Improved batching and shadow casting resulting in some performance gains

- Fixed: Movement axis miscalculation resulting in slow movement with high fps

- Fixed: Error with pinning surveillance shot to your case board that could cause problems on loading in the game

- Fixed: Changed controller detection to trigger on ‘button up’ to avoid input methods with buttons that constantly register as ‘down’

- Fixed: If you used the ‘move all items to storage’ button when editing your apartment, it would destroy air vents, leaving them impossible to navigate

- Fixed: An error that made the game not able to save properly in rare scenarios

- Fixed: An error that made cancelled objectives not be able to reappear/reactivate, resulting in some problems handing-in cases

- Fixed: An error that resulting in a faulty load of a save game (possibly also resulting in getting stuck in décor mode)

- Fixed: Error caused when the game tried to exit the placement of furniture if the inventory was full

- Fixed: You had to press the menu button twice to return to the game from the main menu

- Fixed: Colliders were not properly disabled on placement of some décor items, resulting in glitchy physics interactions with the player

- Fixed: The player could not place a storage box in décor mode properly

- Fixed: Re-rendered font atlases to capture missing characters

- Fixed: Microwave door sound

- Tweaks made to AI: Some citizens were fleeing slightly too readily (including enforcers)

- Improved 35mm camera sounds

- Improved sync disk install complete sound

The movement speed thing sounds great because I feel like I was moving way too slow normally and sprinting was way too fast.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My game takes like 30 seconds to quicksave and the save file is 150MB. Looking at the progression of my backup saves, it went from 43MB early on, growing fairly steadily to 100MB (saving was sluggish but not too bad) and then suddenly it's jumped to 150MB in only a couple of hours and saving is so slow that it's almost unplayable. Did I trigger some rare bug or is this just the inevitable consequence of perturbing too many random elements in the world? I think I'll probably have to start over to continue unless there's some major improvement to this.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
At first I was playing multiple games for a short while, partially because I was thinking I was missing things or because a quest had screwed up, but once I started playing one file for a long time it started accumulating glitches at an exponential rate. I got to level 5 and now any time I try to accomplish another quest the game freezes. I really like the concept but yeah, it is still half-baked.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I mean it is in early access. For some reason, it seems like people forget that about half of the EA titles. Like, yes you paid money for it and should expect a functional product etc., but also you knew what you were getting in to as it has a very large "this poo poo is a work in progress" at the top of the store page.

Do I want it to be better and fixed, yeah? Am I going to look at its faults negatively? Not really, they're simply a product of this type of release. Only if development goes dark and the game gets abandoned do I feel like EA titles deserve to be lambasted.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I mean it is in early access. For some reason, it seems like people forget that about half of the EA titles. Like, yes you paid money for it and should expect a functional product etc., but also you knew what you were getting in to as it has a very large "this poo poo is a work in progress" at the top of the store page.

Do I want it to be better and fixed, yeah? Am I going to look at its faults negatively? Not really, they're simply a product of this type of release. Only if development goes dark and the game gets abandoned do I feel like EA titles deserve to be lambasted.

It was released absolutely riddled with game breaking bugs that would have been impossible for the dev not to know about. Early access isn't a good excuse for that. I played for just under 10 hours and was only ever able to complete one mission besides the tutorial.

Maybe some people are ok with that level of brokenness, but it's not at all inappropriate for people to feel like they've been sold a bill of goods when they should have taken the time to at least release it in a better state.

When it works, it's a fantastic game but the number of bugs, even for early access is pretty insane and shameful. I wouldn't have released anything in that state if it were me and I think "It's early access" it a pretty lousy excuse for something that breaks more often than it doesn't.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think it's in a pretty reasonable state for early access honestly. I've completed like 14 missions and only had one flake out to the point of not being able to hand it in (a steal the document mission that acknowledged that I threw it in the sea, but not that I had picked it up in the first place), which sucks but is also not really a game breaking bug. I just abandoned the mission and accepted another one. It's to the point where user feedback can be meaningful to the development of the game which is what Early Access is good for, as long as the devs are receptive, which I'm hopeful this one will be.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I have played, way buggier early access games than this. It is fairly janky, and sometimes in a frustratingly game breaking way, but mostly incredibly playable for what's here.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yeah as long as Early Access shows consistent movement towards a 1.0 state your money is being used for the potential the game is showing. Even EA masterclasses like Subnautica were jank at first. The only real EA crimes are when the devs gently caress off with the bag and leave you with the unpolished turd.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Mr Scumbag posted:

It was released absolutely riddled with game breaking bugs that would have been impossible for the dev not to know about. Early access isn't a good excuse for that. I played for just under 10 hours and was only ever able to complete one mission besides the tutorial.

I've played for 11.8 hours and been able to complete the vast majority of missions I've tried, which has to be at least twenty, minimum.
I dunno what to tell you.

My own experience has been that the game is indeed very buggy, and feels like a game which is genuinely in early access as opposed to the "it's basically a finished product but we want to get people to play it for a year while we add more content and polish the balance" kind of early access, but that what is here mostly functions most of the time, certainly enough so that I can play through a session and feel like I'm getting something akin to the developer's intended experience.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

at least it isn't another billion-dollar AAAA production released in an unplayable state

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I agree it's reasonable early access jank and would actually point out the solo dev is actually pretty industrious, looking at how he's cranking post-launch patches. He's certainly no slouch, it's just that there's a lot of work to be done - which shouldn't be surprising as the whole concept behind the game is mashing the most inherently janky things in videogames. Like, the only way he could possibly make it worse on himself would be wanting to do frame-perfect multiplayer netcode with server-side physics.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I guess you've all had a much more functional experience than I had. My time was a total poo poo show even when the quests weren't breaking. The big one was constantly falling through floors into pitch black apartments but there were plenty of issues with the UI and the cork board breaking completely and memory leaks. My saves also bloated as mentioned by someone earlier.

If the dev keeps onto it, it will be going onto my all timer list, but I couldn't keep bashing my head against it, the way it's behaved for me.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Not trying to invalidate your experience or complaints about the issues you've had, those are valid concerns. But to expect an early access game to not have those is a bit silly considering it's explicitly what early access is about. Sure, there have been plenty of EA games that have spoiled us (Subnautica, Valheim, Dwarf Fortress, etc.) by being extremely stable and well-developed with constant updates the entire EA period. But there are far more EA titles that are outright broken in many ways or downright the devs takes the money and runs.

Despite having a good experience with this myself I'm strongly tempted to uninstall and shelve it for several months to wait on development. I've already given the dev my money to support them, now I can play other games while I wait.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I don't know if you read my previous posts but I was literally only able to finish one side mission in nearly 10 hours of playing.

There are a bunch of early access games I've played with a heap of bugs, but I've never had an experience more buggy than this game, despite others seemingly having a better time.

Even considering that, I still think the dev should have delayed it for some pretty rudimentary fixes for bugs that are very obvious and common. Like a couple more weeks would have made a significant difference.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 5, 2023

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just got to retirement after 20 hours of sandbox mode and only had one apparent mission-breaking bug (briefcase delivery in which the second party never came, although I can't exclude they were murdered on their way) so obviously my experience is pretty different and for me it came just at the right time.

Does anyone know how to get underground shop passwords outside of the tutorial? The loading screen says something about graffiti but I never found one with a password.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Is this all happening in one city for you or have you been making new ones? It sounds like you just had an especially cursed city generation, that you might wanna throw in the bugs channel of the discord.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Jesus dont remind me of early Subnautica.

I dropped some money on this because it seems very novel. Heres hoping it continues to progress and doesn't get abandoned or milkshake ducked or something.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
New patch dropped today, which claims to have fixed a bug that "stopped the correct mission item from being detected in your inventory."

Also a big one for me is a fix for "opening the map during play was disabled if you had the map open in the case board screen." Remembering to close the map on the case board got really annoying.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

bgreman posted:

Also a big one for me is a fix for "opening the map during play was disabled if you had the map open in the case board screen." Remembering to close the map on the case board got really annoying.
That's what caused that? I thought it was just an intermittent bug with it detecting the key. :doh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just bought this, and I'm loving it so far. Has anyone tried a good control mapping for the Steam deck?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Just had a very funny murder case. Get on scene, establish time of death, murder weapon was an 8mm handgun. The vic had an address book, and a meeting with a certain person we'll call Jack.

I get Jack's address from the address book and pay it a visit. Somebody answers the door. "Who are you?" I ask. "None of your business!" they bark.

"Do you know Jack?" I ask. "That's me!" they exclaim. Well...ok. "When was the last time you saw the victim?" I ask. "I saw them at their apartment, at 1:24 am," replies Jack.

I check the time of the vic's death. It's between 12:46 am and 2:00am. "Uh...thanks?"

After I arrested them, I found a handgun just sitting on their kitchen counter. The Case of the Incredibly Bad Killer Who Should Keep Their Mouth Shut was solved!

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007
An old friend of mine made this game, he's a cool guy and it's neat to see one of his games pop up here.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Just had a very funny murder case. Get on scene, establish time of death, murder weapon was an 8mm handgun. The vic had an address book, and a meeting with a certain person we'll call Jack.

I get Jack's address from the address book and pay it a visit. Somebody answers the door. "Who are you?" I ask. "None of your business!" they bark.

"Do you know Jack?" I ask. "That's me!" they exclaim. Well...ok. "When was the last time you saw the victim?" I ask. "I saw them at their apartment, at 1:24 am," replies Jack.

I check the time of the vic's death. It's between 12:46 am and 2:00am. "Uh...thanks?"

After I arrested them, I found a handgun just sitting on their kitchen counter. The Case of the Incredibly Bad Killer Who Should Keep Their Mouth Shut was solved!

This is pretty much true for all murderers at the moment, and is (so far) a good way to verify that you've got the right suspect. A future patch will supposedly introduce lying among NPCs, but very little has been said as to what this will actually mean — will it be chance/opinion based like asking for any other favour, or will it be more that they're better at not implicating themselves this way.

That aside, sound like a funny evolution of the case. As it is, that's one other thing that needs some improvement: how formulaic all the main murders are, with a very limited set of scenarios/causes that all have very specific clues and solutions to them.

Needing to delve a bit deeper into the victim's life, and having to chain together clues from that, would be a nice variation on the theme.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’ve been taking a break from this game for awhile until some of the more case breaking EA/procgen stuff is resolved but if anyone has any suggestions for stuff to put in the OP or even better a post I can just quote with content that might be good to aggregate there I’d be happy to do so

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Frog Act posted:

I’ve been taking a break from this game for awhile until some of the more case breaking EA/procgen stuff is resolved but if anyone has any suggestions for stuff to put in the OP or even better a post I can just quote with content that might be good to aggregate there I’d be happy to do so

It depends a bit on what you want in the OP.

Descriptions of the available content / mission types? Actual solutions to the same? Caveats and good practices with the different missions? General tips about the environment (pawn shops, illegal businesses, etc)? The different information sources and where to get them — i.e. phone traces, homeowner document boxes, employment records and contracts, the dreaded govbase, cameras etc?

A lot of the fun comes from the exploration of the space, but at the same time, some things aren't tutorialised all that well (whereas others are, but are then not actually all that useful in the rest of the game). So the balance between “game information” and outright spoilers — be they game-mechanical or content-related — can get a bit blurry.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've already watched through almost all of this guy's videos. He narrates them like it's a story. I liked this one the most:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTj3qZnVrgY

While he does have a bit of "Hey, it's ya boy..." at the beginning, he makes legitimately good content.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This was how I cracked my first murder, by asking someone I suspected if they knew the victim. They were very happy to confess, but I didn't have evidence until they killed again. Wonder if I could have used a Bloodhound on them, haven't tried those out much yet.

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'
The one big change I’d like to see is if the killer leaves a note, it should point to the next victim instead of themselves.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm hoping they fix how poorly controllers work in the game. I realize it's a pc game and a lot of people will be using m+kb, but if someone's using a steam deck, they're essentially using an Xbox controller with the game. The turning/looking is really bad, I think it's a deadzone issue.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The Cheats And Liars update drops on Monday, September 25th!

Here's the official post on it and the trailer below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNL-lNlh-LQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Oh goodie… more missing items.
I hope they update the evidence trail bit so fewer than 97% of them boils down to “scour the entire building and also all friends and co-workers because all evidence is gone from the very start”. :eng99: