Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I was pretty disappointed at how little info was in the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Cheats And Liars is now out.

The fluff post.

Patch Notes posted:

Hey detectives! Please find the full change list for the Cheats and Liars update below:
New: Hotel building
New: The player can rent hotel rooms from the front desk
New: Investigate affair side mission
New: New dialog, NPC conversations and v-mails
New: You can now give items to citizens through a new dialog option
New: Lost items listed on notice boards around the city; get rewards for finding them
New: 4 new music tracks
New: Some new exterior building details for City Hall
New: Some new exterior building details for the tenement block
New: Support for dynamic resolution and Nvidia DLSS
Reworked Twitch integration: Audience citizen names are now possible again! (Unlike before you have to connect the game to a twitch account you have access to)
Localisation Update: Previous text changes implemented since EA launch are now localised properly
Some menu UI tweaks
Save game data optimizations
Fixed: Some spelling errors
Fixed: Various geometry bugs (in some cases this requires new city generation)
Fixed: AI pathing issue to do with stairwells
Fixed: Some minor visual glitches caused by texture compression
Fixed: Some item/furniture clipping issues with spawn positions (requires new city generation)
Fixed: Sword could spawn floating in mid air
Fixed: Some bugs to do with strings not being displayed properly when needed
Fixed: Some bugs preventing the successful hand-in of some optional objectives
Fixed: Interaction text would sometimes not update properly
Fixed: ‘Talk To’ action no longer displays when citizens are fleeing
Fixed: Route location would stay onscreen after arriving at the destination
Fixed: Added missing first person item model display and summary description for office Name Placards
Fixed: Removed multi-line control action descriptions for better on-screen readability
Fixed: A sitting citizen would play their standing up animation for a split second after the player had finished talking to them
Fixed: Possible soft lock when being crushed by an elevator or falling into one; did not relocate player to the hospital
Fixed: Error that resulted in a messed up air duct configuration if a ceiling and wall vent were placed too close together (requires new city generation).
Fixed: ‘Park’ was included in the city directory multiple times
Fixed: Upon loading a game, all active case buttons were highlighted
Fixed: Television show sprites were not updating
Fixed: Player could appear in city directory even if they didn’t own an apartment
Fixed: Flooded basement water could appear irregular on buildings close to the edge of the map on largest city size

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
my first new lost and found case was to find the client's lost VHS tape for 40 bucks

it was on the ground directly outside the front door of their apartment

the workplace address they gave me to return it to turned out to be an arms dealer

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Mister Bates posted:

my first new lost and found case was to find the client's lost VHS tape for 40 bucks

it was on the ground directly outside the front door of their apartment

the workplace address they gave me to return it to turned out to be an arms dealer

10 out of 10 do not improve

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I assume since it wasn't in the patch notes that the controller settings haven't been touched at all. Have they?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
So far my first infidelity case isn't going anywhere. They didn't have a computer at home and their work vmails weren't incriminating. I tried going to the hotel to see if they had like a guestbook or something but I only found records for the food and drink sold there. I think I'll just have to follow them at this rate....which makes sense.

Also I had a street murder happen with the body spawning or maybe falling through the world, I dunno. The cops couldn't even find it but there was one of those crumpled paper balls with the hangman puzzle on it so that was that. It still feels weird that I have no idea about the victim.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Brightman posted:

Also I had a street murder happen with the body spawning or maybe falling through the world, I dunno. The cops couldn't even find it but there was one of those crumpled paper balls with the hangman puzzle on it so that was that. It still feels weird that I have no idea about the victim.

I have had one of these too. I think it just happens sometimes.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Brightman posted:

So far my first infidelity case isn't going anywhere. They didn't have a computer at home and their work vmails weren't incriminating. I tried going to the hotel to see if they had like a guestbook or something but I only found records for the food and drink sold there. I think I'll just have to follow them at this rate....which makes sense.

I'm having the same problem with the infidelity case. I tried to surveille the suspect but they just went outside and came back into their apartment. I guess I could check the phone records from their building? The person they're cheating with is probably in their address book but that's like 15 people and would be an extremely boring canvas. Preliminary legwork just had everyone seeing them around their apartment or their job. Just seems like they're aren't enough leads.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 26, 2023

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I had one just like that and I ended up buying a Bloodhound Tracker and planting it on them and just keeping an eye on their movements while doing other cases until they went somewhere interesting.

The tracking device is neat, although there isn't a lot of use for its functionality most of the time. You can track an individual target with one, but you can also stick them on the wall and they generate a notification whenever someone walks past, with the location and the approximate build of the person. Unfortunately I have been hard-pressed to think of an instance where I'm casing a location and would need to keep an eye on comings and goings without physically having eyes on it, but I can see it being pretty cool later.

Tracking individual people is still kind of niche but very handy occasionally - I was able to use one to conclusively place a murder suspect at the scene of their second killing last night, for example, and that was pretty satisfying.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 26, 2023

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I habitually plant tracking devices on the people manning the pawn shops and black markets so you can know if they've deemed it worth-while to show up at work today.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mister Bates posted:

I had one just like that and I ended up buying a Bloodhound Tracker and planting it on them and just keeping an eye on their movements while doing other cases until they went somewhere interesting.

Ah, that's a good idea. Thanks.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Tippis posted:

I habitually plant tracking devices on the people manning the pawn shops and black markets so you can know if they've deemed it worth-while to show up at work today.

gently caress, now that's thinking. Finally a good use for these.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm having the same problem with the infidelity case. I tried to surveille the suspect but they just went outside and came back into their apartment. I guess I could check the phone records from their building? The person they're cheating with is probably in their address book but that's like 15 people and would be an extremely boring canvas. Preliminary legwork just had everyone seeing them around their apartment or their job. Just seems like they're aren't enough leads.

There was one other lead I found but it was similar to going through their address book, but maybe less so. While checking the employee records at work I noticed they had a note in their file about having a tendency to flirt with their co-workers, but so did several others. A murder happened before I could follow through with that at all and I forgot until now.

Mister Bates posted:

I had one just like that and I ended up buying a Bloodhound Tracker and planting it on them and just keeping an eye on their movements while doing other cases until they went somewhere interesting..

This is genius, thank you. I seriously forgot about those things existing.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Spent my holiday break learning how to mod Shadows of Doubt. I released my first one that basically balances the Government Database by splitting up the computers in City Hall. Hospital Wards now have Medical Databases that print birth certificates, not full citizen files with fingerprints. The Government Databases are still in Enforcer offices. Surveillance and Security are also only available in Enforcer offices.

All databases are only found in secure rooms now (where you would be considered trespassing). So that little safe reception area outside of Enforcer offices will not have a database anymore. The idea is that the player must take some level of risk to search through those databases. Also I made it harder to brute force search by making the databases ignore whitespace characters.

https://thunderstore.io/c/shadows-of-doubt/p/Arsonide/GovernmentLockdown/

In the course of this mod I have had more than one nurse open fire on me with guns while I search through medical records. Oh and while I was working on this, I worked with another modder to fix printing documents from computers just failing like 50% of the time.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's a good change. Would like to see this in the base game, tbh, the database is incredibly powerful.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Nice! I haven’t played since the recent updates but I thought they nerfed records a bit, with finger printing at least.

Might grab this and give the game another go

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
The mod I'm working on at the moment is going to make citizens make Animal Crossing noises while they are speaking. After that I'm not sure, I kind of want to tackle making fingerprints a little more in depth, like making them smudgeable and stuff, or maybe adding more "random" kinds of murders, like serial killers that kill people with blue eyes, or simply random muggings. Right now a lot of murders boil down to people the murderer knows somehow.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
My dream fingerprint system(outside of generating actual fingerprints you'd have to compare which is just gonna be a royal pain to make) would be each fingerprint having like, a unique ABCDF imprint of like say, 6 letters. The longer they've been there+some random chance to just be a bad print) decreases it so for example you find a really bad one that's just "A - - - C -" for example, with no auto linking to people.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Could just use hex. I really like the idea of degrading prints as missing digits, although I suppose then you could have an idea of how old the prints you're looking at are.

I finally got the mod working and it's a perfect addition that helps prevent me from optimizing the fun out of the game, thank you!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Hex could also work yeah, and the knowing how old prints are that's what the random quality modifier is for either making it better or worse than it'd be.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
It would also allow for player upgrades or gear that can "restore" missing digits from a given print.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've been looking at the roadmap for this game on the store page and was wondering, is the dev planning on allowing us to possibly create our own cases?

Other than adding in motive that in some way manifests itself in the game*, I think that being able to make and share our own cases would make this game drat near perfect.

*- I mean, for example, if the victim was killed in a crime of jealousy,like the guy was sleeping with the killer's wife, we'd end up seeing evidence of that the more we look into things. Or maybe a store owner is killed by the former owner who was strong-armed to give his business to the new guy, putting him out on the street. Stuff like that.

I haven't played this game extensively, though; is any of that already in the game and I just haven't seen it?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

new update:

quote:

New: 2 new sniper killer types; these killers will shoot victims from windows or rooftop vantage points around the city.
New: New mixed-use industrial building*
New: Shanty town building (’the Fathoms’)*
New: Gated communities (’the Echelons’) are now located at the top of certain buildings. You’ll need to obtain a high social status to access these legally*
New: 2 new murder weapons (Bat, Katana)*
New: 11 new player perks unlocked by climbing social credit levels! Including:
Enforcers will allow you at crime scenes
Immediate status cure on visiting player apartment

New: Auto travel feature; turn this on to allow your player to automatically follow a plotted route. While auto travelling opening the case board does not pause the game, allowing you to interact with your case board enroute to your destination.
New: Added button on the map display to cancel the current route, along with a toggle for auto travel.
New: Loitering around shops/bars/restaurants without buying anything is now a thing; you will be asked to buy something or move along.
New: New conversations, documents and v-mails
New: Steam trading cards, badges and community assets
City generation times reduced by about 15%
Improved weather effects
Some changed/new interface iconography
Improved ragdoll physics
Fixed: Improvements to player route calculation
Fixed: Some errors with AI not prioritising important actions (discovering body etc)
Fixed: Player-plotted routes will no longer get cancelled if the player is in mid-air
Fixed: Bug when waking up in hospital while playing on a pre-release city
Fixed: Ragdolls were in wrong positions upon load of a save game
Fixed: In rare cases an NPC could end a citizen’s telephone call by speaking to them
Fixed: Stealing money or some certain objects was resulting in cr0 fines instead of their worth
Fixed: Player could get stuck upon loading in a game that was saved inside a Sync Chamber
Fixed: On games started before 36.07, buying a new apartment before the story mode ended would cause furniture and items to not be saved properly
Fixed: City Hall 4th floor would appear incorrectly filled-in on the map*
Fixed: No override fog settings when inside some buildings (indoor environment could appear overly foggy)
Fixed: Wall decals were not presented properly in camera pictures
Fixed: Increased size of briefcase hitbox to avoid intersecting geometry issues when picking it up.
Audio: metal impact improvements
Audio: water cooler audio fix for cancelling drinking
Audio: new décor rotation and placement sounds
Audio: bone break sound added
Audio: minor tweak to body collapse sound
Audio: passing time now has its own soundscape
Audio: player punch variance when player punches a wall
Audio: minor improvements to heavy door knocking on wood
Audio: smoothed Edge Distance parameter for better blending of city ambiences
Audio: new gain social credit sound
Audio: new social level up sound
Audio: new case solved sound
Audio: new case unsolved sound
Audio: improved wooden and metal glass door locked attempt sounds
Audio: minor improvements to sync disk machine sounds
Audio: sounds added for the various door types
Audio: steaming manhole improved roll off and behaviour
Audio: locker lock/unlock improved timings
Audio: computer HDD loading sound improved roll off
Audio: fire barrels less crackly/harsh
Audio: wooden door close creak now probability based
Audio: fixed English Starch Kola TV ad cutting off too soon
Audio: added new TV and PA advert (Old Bourbon)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Apparently it's going to be hitting Xbox and PlayStation soonish (well, at least this year), so here's hoping the twin stick controls get redone. I want to play this game so much on my steam deck, but it just feels awful to move and turn, like the deadzones are off or something. The inputs aren't consistent (what does something in one interface doesn't do the same or similar thing in another interface), and while I know I could just remap everything to fake m+kb, I don't like having to keep remembering what gamepad button is "F", for example.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Is there any word on when to expect full launch? I quite enjoyed my time with the game last autumn, but it clearly needed more time for both additional content as well as bugfixing. Their roadmap from last year says the following:

quote:

We’re excited to be adding new content and improvements to the game, and the current plan is a six month early access period consisting of three major content updates spread out at roughly one every two months. The first will be themed ‘Cheats & Liars’ and be with you over the summer. I’ll share more news about that closer the time, but for now the priority is the launch. Have fun!

We're twelve months into the six months of early access updates; (which is not a surprise, to be fair - six months seemed crazy ambitious when it was first announced) how is the game doing? Is there an updated launch plan?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
They updated the roadmap on the steam page, basically the console launch will coincide with a missing persons update later this year and that's it besides what's happened so far.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I keep this thread bookmarked and keep checking on on the game, but for anyone who doesn't own it yet, and anyone who's played it more recently than (checking Steam) April 27 2023, almost exactly a year ago can contradict me, this is a hugely ambitious game that hasn't really come together yet. But maybe that's just me, I always more RPG in my immersive sims.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Eh, it works well enough, although I haven't had a chance to try the new update. There's no story really if that's what you mean but it's pretty fun to just make it up as you go. The sync upgrades are a little anemic, a lot of them being choices where one is the obvious winner is kinda weak. The new social credit perks will probably make progression feel a little more meaningful at least.

That said I've put dozens of hours into messing around with the game, it's fun, it's janky but not nearly as much as at launch. I don't think I'd call it over ambitious aside from having to delay things a bit, they've delivered on most of what they mapped out and honestly missing persons sounds like the easier one of the three major updates to implement.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I don't know. It's a kind of funny inversion.

The bits that sound overly ambitious on paper — a procedurally generated clockwork city where you can go everywhere and where every character is… well… a character, with relationships and schedules, and work hours and home hours, and going-to-the-pub hours — is actually the bits that have been working pretty much from the start. The occasional jank where templates get populated a bit oddly aside.

It's the bit where it tries to generate crime between two people that the most breakage has happened that I have experienced, and in details that also on paper sound like they shouldn't be tricky. Like placing evidence type X for the crime type Y in room Z. Or when it generates initial leads for side jobs that are just impossible to go by without brute-forcing it at every workplace in the entire game.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It has a story, what it doesn't have is a baked in narrative.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Tippis posted:

I don't know. It's a kind of funny inversion.

The bits that sound overly ambitious on paper — a procedurally generated clockwork city where you can go everywhere and where every character is… well… a character, with relationships and schedules, and work hours and home hours, and going-to-the-pub hours — is actually the bits that have been working pretty much from the start. The occasional jank where templates get populated a bit oddly aside.

It's the bit where it tries to generate crime between two people that the most breakage has happened that I have experienced, and in details that also on paper sound like they shouldn't be tricky. Like placing evidence type X for the crime type Y in room Z. Or when it generates initial leads for side jobs that are just impossible to go by without brute-forcing it at every workplace in the entire game.

True. I was more thinking that it would most likely be the one that didn't need them to make new buildings, which they'll still probably do.

Yeah, I had no murders happening in a town once until I cleared a bunch of empty bottles in front of an arms dealer's door. It's gotten better about that kinda stuff thankfully.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I’ve had my eye on this ever since its first Steam fest demo, and since Fanatical had it on a star deal for its lowest-ever price it became the third thing I’ve ever bought in early access. I plan on starting it up today (on Deck); any massive glitches or game breaking bugs I should know to avoid? I presume it’s not likely our game saves will work once it gets a full release, but who knows.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Agent Escalus posted:

I’ve had my eye on this ever since its first Steam fest demo, and since Fanatical had it on a star deal for its lowest-ever price it became the third thing I’ve ever bought in early access. I plan on starting it up today (on Deck); any massive glitches or game breaking bugs I should know to avoid? I presume it’s not likely our game saves will work once it gets a full release, but who knows.

As I've mentioned a few times ITT, the deck controls need work. For whatever reason, the sticks don't feel good, and this is coming from someone who could play any fps game with a dual stick setup. I don't know if it's a dead zone setting or what, but turning from left <-> right feels weird, either too slow or too fast, and it's hard not to accidentally start looking up or down when doing it.

Plus, the controls themselves aren't that great; what works as an action button in one aspect of the game doesn't in another. It just feels 'bad' to play with a controller, and I sincerely wish it didn't. I hope all of that is addressed eventually.

Meanwhile, it's fantastic with m+kb.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Massive? No. The main struggle they've had, but where they continuously make good strides, is to ensure that the procedural generation doesn't build something stupid — blocked routes, decorations that you can get caught in — and that the evidence at crime scenes spawns in a reachable location. It's been a long while since any of those actually broke anything, but those kinds of glitches are good to be aware of since it's just the nature of the beast that you'll come across it at one point or another. And by then, chances are you're familiar enough with the formulas used that you can work around it.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
One of the most amusing bugs I've had last year was the murder happened in an entrance hallway, so the cops cordoned off the whole of it and started shooting all passersby.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Chev posted:

One of the most amusing bugs I've had last year was the murder happened in an entrance hallway, so the cops cordoned off the whole of it and started shooting all passersby.

Starch Kola: Put Some Death Into It™!

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
The glitch I run into the most seems to be falling through the world but it's pretty good at putting you close to where you were when that happens.

Also text stuff like "blonde hair hair" and a description of a suspect being "short average tall". Nothing super game breaking, mostly hiccups.

I also tried it with controller recently and holy gently caress is that bad. They're trying some interesting things that help but the big issue is stick movement stuff and using the caseboard becomes impossible. Hopefully somewhere in the process of porting it to consoles that poo poo gets fixed, cause if it doesn't it's gonna crash and burn on them.

Chev posted:

I'm not sure how but I've had stuff happen outside of my control where a business's security system will basically agro on everyone and it starts shooting at passersby. When it happened to the diner it was at least a bit out of the way, but I had it happen in a pharmacy in the middle of town and it made things difficult to say the least.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
My most commonly encountered bug is the big murder cases just not really firing correctly. Like the case file will say I've got a ritual killer but there's nothing at the murder scene to even hint at that, and then I don't even get any follow-up killings for in-game weeks, so I'm trying to follow what meager leads I'm left with, but the address book is a dead end, and they worked at City Hall with exactly the team in their address book, there were no fingerprints left at the scene, the security and street cameras didn't pick up anybody near the building/room around the hours of the murder except the victim, etc.

Usually have to start a new game when that happens because the rest of the murders then don't fire, either. I can do side-jobs forever, if I want, though.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Hogama posted:

My most commonly encountered bug is the big murder cases just not really firing correctly. Like the case file will say I've got a ritual killer but there's nothing at the murder scene to even hint at that, and then I don't even get any follow-up killings for in-game weeks, so I'm trying to follow what meager leads I'm left with, but the address book is a dead end, and they worked at City Hall with exactly the team in their address book, there were no fingerprints left at the scene, the security and street cameras didn't pick up anybody near the building/room around the hours of the murder except the victim, etc.

Usually have to start a new game when that happens because the rest of the murders then don't fire, either. I can do side-jobs forever, if I want, though.

Funny, I had the same thing happen; I had the itch to solve a murder a couple weeks ago and the first two cases were fine but then I got stuck in this situation too. Scanned every inch of the apartment, no prints (well, the police officer who responded and the resident), no cam footage, wasn't anyone in the address book or any coworkers, no evidence at the scene in note or blood scrawl form, guy said he thought he was being followed and mentioned it to his therapist who wasn't helpful, every single neighbor didn't see anything. The first time I played the game I never had anything just stump me like that, and I had been wondering if I was just stupid. Feel a bit less bad when I hear you say that; but it sucked to be wandering the streets for weeks doing lovely little side jobs. Maxed out the social credit even though I couldn't solve my case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I picked this up on its most recent sale and I'm having a lot of fun. It's so, SO buggy and it's kind of hard to tell what's a bug and what's emergent behavior.

Do people occasionally just not show up to work? I finally figured out that the day of the week is a thing, I guess the emails do complain about calling in sick.

What does it mean when there's just ... Door noises? That i can't find out where it's coming from. Is that something that would be fixed by completely closing the game and reopening it?