Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
After the tutorial case in the pre-made city bugged I just started a new city and a sandbox game. The procedural murders I've had so far have been fine but the random board jobs are far from sometimes.

The Good:

Had one to take a picture of someone that went well, gave me a name so I just started asking and eventually got to their workplace and apartment building. They worked and "whatever their name was consulting" at city hall. Except it wasn't a real business, or at least not a physical one you could go to. Got lucky enough to find their apartment though so I knocked on their door, took their photo when they opened it, and ran when they tried to beat me up.

The Bad:

Seems like higher paying jobs are the more difficult ones, meaning the cases are harder.

1) Had someone with a book of theirs stolen. I came by, they finally invited me in after some jank, and I checked out their apartment. The only fingerprints and footprints in the entire apartment not just around the bookshelf were theirs. No leads beyond "must be someone I know." I am not going through your address book person by person for 24 people to maybe find a book somewhere in their apartment. Case dropped.

2) Had a job to photograph someone. After having to hunt around an entire block to find a briefcase with the details the only info I had was that they were a manager. Not where, just their job title. Case dropped.

3) Had another where I had to find a briefcase for the job info. The photo of the briefcase clipped through the wall and was a solid purplish blob. Case dropped.

4) Find a special envelope in someone's apartment. No clue as to who or where. Building is 18 floors and a basement. Case dropped.

The Janky:

Was walking in an apartment to investigate it. Clipped through the floor into another apartment, the tenant started to beat the poo poo out of me and without a key I was locked inside with them. Also had a wall or piece of geometry clipping into a vent. Touched it and was stuck. No way to get out, lost 30 minutes of progress.

What's here is an incredible foundation but you take "early access," "proc gen," and "immersive sim," all three synonyms for "janky as gently caress" and you know exactly what you're in for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Seems like at present crimes are limited to people who know each other. Someone's story up thread about a hired killer committing multiple murders but they were all the killer's neighbors and others where side missions are usually all known individuals to whoever gives the mission seems less than great. On the one hand, it probably makes the procgen crime aspect a lot easier, but on the other it seems like it limits the game.

Obviously that would be a later change in development since currently just making sure the game works is priority. Unless it's one of those that after X dev time it's too deeply fundamental to everything and can't be changed....

This game is super cool even at its current stage and I can't wait to see what it looks like in several months. I don't for a second believe the time table on their road map on the Steam page though.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It sounds like maybe part of that may be in development for the future? No idea.

Here's what the roadmap on the Steam page is:

"Cheats and liars" sounds like it's going expand NPC dialog to be from "I either aggressively tell you nothing or the absolute truth" into possibly lying to you, which will help muddy the water on some of these things. No idea what the "new building" or "new side job" would be but possibly tracking down infidelity?

Social class update and murderer drop I have no idea what they are other than maybe refining NPC interactions between themselves to take into account social standing and then maybe a large update/overhaul to murderers, meaning maybe we'll get our unrelated murders and such?

I really do have high hopes for this even though early access' track record is on par with asset flips I swear to God. What's there is fun and I would argue that at $20 (or the current 10% discount) it's easily worth it for a fun little proof of concept you can freely poke and prod at, even if a good chunk of it is rough.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Can't wait until the dating apps are simulated so those emails can be clues or evidence.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Honestly I feel like the tutorial case, while a good handholding experience into the mechanics and thought processes of the game, sets expectations way too high. The actual cases and gameplay are nothing like it, obviously due to procgen instead of a handmade thing.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
There may also be more than one trash can.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Do cases even have motive at the moment? None of the ones I've seen seem to have anything approaching actual sense or intent behind them, it just feels like they pick a random citizen and a random person they know and make murder happen.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Had a side job I completed and was told to pick up my reward from their mailbox. I open their mailbox and it's empty. However, the interact cursor did highlight my reward which had spawned in the mailbox above theirs. So I had to pick some rando's mailbox to get my reward. Not complaining, just hilarious.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
PATCH!

quote:

Shadows of Doubt V 33.17 Patch Notes.

- Improved batching and shadow casting resulting in some performance gains

- Fixed: Movement axis miscalculation resulting in slow movement with high fps

- Fixed: Error with pinning surveillance shot to your case board that could cause problems on loading in the game

- Fixed: Changed controller detection to trigger on ‘button up’ to avoid input methods with buttons that constantly register as ‘down’

- Fixed: If you used the ‘move all items to storage’ button when editing your apartment, it would destroy air vents, leaving them impossible to navigate

- Fixed: An error that made the game not able to save properly in rare scenarios

- Fixed: An error that made cancelled objectives not be able to reappear/reactivate, resulting in some problems handing-in cases

- Fixed: An error that resulting in a faulty load of a save game (possibly also resulting in getting stuck in décor mode)

- Fixed: Error caused when the game tried to exit the placement of furniture if the inventory was full

- Fixed: You had to press the menu button twice to return to the game from the main menu

- Fixed: Colliders were not properly disabled on placement of some décor items, resulting in glitchy physics interactions with the player

- Fixed: The player could not place a storage box in décor mode properly

- Fixed: Re-rendered font atlases to capture missing characters

- Fixed: Microwave door sound

- Tweaks made to AI: Some citizens were fleeing slightly too readily (including enforcers)

- Improved 35mm camera sounds

- Improved sync disk install complete sound

The movement speed thing sounds great because I feel like I was moving way too slow normally and sprinting was way too fast.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I mean it is in early access. For some reason, it seems like people forget that about half of the EA titles. Like, yes you paid money for it and should expect a functional product etc., but also you knew what you were getting in to as it has a very large "this poo poo is a work in progress" at the top of the store page.

Do I want it to be better and fixed, yeah? Am I going to look at its faults negatively? Not really, they're simply a product of this type of release. Only if development goes dark and the game gets abandoned do I feel like EA titles deserve to be lambasted.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Not trying to invalidate your experience or complaints about the issues you've had, those are valid concerns. But to expect an early access game to not have those is a bit silly considering it's explicitly what early access is about. Sure, there have been plenty of EA games that have spoiled us (Subnautica, Valheim, Dwarf Fortress, etc.) by being extremely stable and well-developed with constant updates the entire EA period. But there are far more EA titles that are outright broken in many ways or downright the devs takes the money and runs.

Despite having a good experience with this myself I'm strongly tempted to uninstall and shelve it for several months to wait on development. I've already given the dev my money to support them, now I can play other games while I wait.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The Cheats And Liars update drops on Monday, September 25th!

Here's the official post on it and the trailer below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNL-lNlh-LQ

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I was pretty disappointed at how little info was in the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Cheats And Liars is now out.

The fluff post.

Patch Notes posted:

Hey detectives! Please find the full change list for the Cheats and Liars update below:
New: Hotel building
New: The player can rent hotel rooms from the front desk
New: Investigate affair side mission
New: New dialog, NPC conversations and v-mails
New: You can now give items to citizens through a new dialog option
New: Lost items listed on notice boards around the city; get rewards for finding them
New: 4 new music tracks
New: Some new exterior building details for City Hall
New: Some new exterior building details for the tenement block
New: Support for dynamic resolution and Nvidia DLSS
Reworked Twitch integration: Audience citizen names are now possible again! (Unlike before you have to connect the game to a twitch account you have access to)
Localisation Update: Previous text changes implemented since EA launch are now localised properly
Some menu UI tweaks
Save game data optimizations
Fixed: Some spelling errors
Fixed: Various geometry bugs (in some cases this requires new city generation)
Fixed: AI pathing issue to do with stairwells
Fixed: Some minor visual glitches caused by texture compression
Fixed: Some item/furniture clipping issues with spawn positions (requires new city generation)
Fixed: Sword could spawn floating in mid air
Fixed: Some bugs to do with strings not being displayed properly when needed
Fixed: Some bugs preventing the successful hand-in of some optional objectives
Fixed: Interaction text would sometimes not update properly
Fixed: ‘Talk To’ action no longer displays when citizens are fleeing
Fixed: Route location would stay onscreen after arriving at the destination
Fixed: Added missing first person item model display and summary description for office Name Placards
Fixed: Removed multi-line control action descriptions for better on-screen readability
Fixed: A sitting citizen would play their standing up animation for a split second after the player had finished talking to them
Fixed: Possible soft lock when being crushed by an elevator or falling into one; did not relocate player to the hospital
Fixed: Error that resulted in a messed up air duct configuration if a ceiling and wall vent were placed too close together (requires new city generation).
Fixed: ‘Park’ was included in the city directory multiple times
Fixed: Upon loading a game, all active case buttons were highlighted
Fixed: Television show sprites were not updating
Fixed: Player could appear in city directory even if they didn’t own an apartment
Fixed: Flooded basement water could appear irregular on buildings close to the edge of the map on largest city size