Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Ok I’ll try 13

you can do it! and I’ll do it too, gently caress it, 13.

very rainy weekend in New York, it’s horror weather

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

1. X (2022)
Yeah, this is fine. I’ve never seen a Texas Instruments West joint I liked so I don’t know why I picked this as the first thing to watch for Half-o-Ween but whatever. It feels like it wants to be seen as smart and/or saying something but while it’s a well-made movie I don’t think it effectively communicated anything more than “some women like to have sex” and “old people look weird naked”, which, c’mon son.

With that said, when Maxine ran over Pearl’s head that was cool. Also there’s a tiny twist (??) that will probably become more meaningful once the third one comes out but is otherwise just sort of like, “Oh, that’s interesting.”

Because I’ve heard so much good about Pearl I figured I would check out this guy, but unless it’s very very important to contextualize Pearl and unless I really really dig Pearl (very possible!) I’d prolly consider it skippable.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

2. Scream (1996)
I had literally never seen this, in part because I’m a fairly new horror fan (didn’t tackle anything until my mid-20s and thought I wasn’t “a movie guy” for most of the intervening years) and in part because I wanted to get a bunch of slashers under my belt first.

Mission accomplished, so I checked it out. I somehow had not been spoiled in 27 years (!) and it was a lot of fun! Holds up. Fun and thematic new wave covers on the soundtrack.

I don’t think it’s plausible I could say anything that hasn’t already been said in all that time, but ya gotta blurb or it doesn’t count.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

hell yes. btw if you start to run out of Bigfeet at any point—though I know the idea is preposterous—the legend pd187 has been making a list on Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/pd187/list/bigfoot-ranked/

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

The problem isn’t how hard it is to make a good one, it’s how easy it is to make a bad one. There’s no copyright or anything so any no talent hack can put a dude in a cheap suit, go into the woods or swamp, and make a cheap piece of crap. And the more crap gets made and associated with the idea the less anyone is gonna want to put any real time and effort into making a good one that will just get lost in the sea of poo poo.

Oh my god… Bigfoot is Amityville.

edit: beaten https://imdb.com/title/tt15536618/

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I get the sense the novel its adapted from is a much more sincere YA coming of age with a quirky humor. I’m not sure that quite adapted here, or maybe just came up against the sort of built in expectations of the horror genre when you’re clearly taking inspiration from stuff like Evil Dead and Exorcist. I don’t know. But all in all a decent watch. And it could maybe click a little more with people more tuned into that YA thing?

Ehhhh yes and no? I think the novel is definitely for adults, albeit adults who are a little more sympathetic to reading novels with teenage protagonists than most; there are one or two scenes that would make your average YA reader vomit. Heathers is the touchstone a lot of the contemporary reviews used alongside The Exorcist.

but it does seem like in the adaptation they targeted it at a slightly broader audience that now includes the 17yos with Jenna Ortega as their Letterboxd profile pics

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

3. Bloody Muscle Body Builder in Hell (1995)
This kicks rear end. It’s a little less watchable than I was hoping (which is based on the film quality and a bit of dragging in the pacing early on), but still totally worth checking out for what is obviously an homage to Evil Dead done on a budget even I could scrounge up.

A grudge ghost lurking in a necklace at Shinji’s identical father’s house takes advantage of the arrival of a medium to claw her way back into the physical realm, and from then on it plays out more or less as you’d imagine.

But not exactly as you’d imagine, because it stands on its own even if you don’t get the many, many references to its inspiration, particularly in the last 15 minutes or so where Shinji seems to suddenly remember his defining character attribute from the title and descends to the basement to collect Chekhov’s barbells.

Bonus points for all that goop and being just over an hour.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

4. Event Horizon (1997)
This kicked rear end. I really like the Hellraiser-rear end engine room, the goofy-but-threatening villain, the way most of my faves survived.

There are also a couple different pop culture references I missed earlier in my life that I now understand, mostly regarding eyes and derelict spaceships—the Glykon Volatus exotic mission from Destiny 2 is just Event Horizon but with Darkness plants instead of…all that.

I think I really only like scifi if it’s got a strong horror or fantasy or cowboy bend to it, and well: two out of three here!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Lmao I had to pause at exactly 27:30 because of the custard scene, particularly when the mom eats her own fallen-off ear. I gotta come back on an empty stomach (hopefully this month!) because I could tell from everything before then that I’ll definitely dig it once it all goes off the rails

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Laos is cool because they only started making movies in earnest in the last 20 or 30 years, so you basically have to watch Mattie Do films. and she’s talented!

it’s just funny because she was American-born and -raised but had to move back to Vientiane for family reasons like a decade ago and sort of de facto became the sole Lao horror director. I’ve only seen Dearest Sister but it was pretty good, I thought.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

5. Evil Dead Rise (2023)
Ehhh. Ever since I saw the first trailer I was really turned off. It just did not push my buttons at all in the way 2, Ash vs, and the last 15 minutes of 2013 did, but I resolved to mostly bitch privately and give it a chance once it wouldn’t cost $20+ to potentially be disappointed.

And… Okay, this is really well-made and it looks good, but how do you make an Evil Dead movie that’s not super fun, or particularly creative, or all that original? At least 2013 had the end to recommend it for me: there I was beaming and cheering and whooping, even if the rest of it was not really my speed at all. And maybe I just predisposed myself to not dig this because I really didn’t like any prerelease poo poo barring the poster, but I don’t know what I’d hang my hat on here, really. And as an Evil Dead fan—but again, especially of 2 and Ash vs, so definitely take my opinion with a grain of salt if you like 1 or 2013 better—it bums me out.

Fantastic work from Alyssa Sutherland, though, and I liked Lily Sullivan a lot too. I wish the other characters hadn’t been so lightly sketched. If they weren’t going to be doing madcap Three Stooges poo poo or dying in goofy-awful ways, I would’ve at least liked to have given more of a poo poo.

Truly not a bad movie by any means, but it feels a bit like when I forgot a different studio made Fallout: New Vegas and got myself hyped after the announcement of Fallout 4. Like oh whoops, this is for people who value different things about the thing we all collectively love than I do! Ah nuts! Hope they get me with the next one! (Bethesda never will, but the producer team of Raimi-Campbell-Tapert might!)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

That part of Caligari is cool because the only place that looks remotely realistic and put-together and not at all askew is, of course, the insane asylum

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

6. Glorious (2022)
I like this kind of thing—high-concept, low-budget—and I found a (very) late unexpected reveal to be a fun surprise that made the movie go down even easier.

This is one of those things that gets shelved under comedy but is only funny like of incidentally; it’s more that the tone is generally on the lighter side than that there are jokes in here or anything.

Recommended if you’re into smiling some at cosmic horror or the rest of the stupid purple Shudder originals and wanna see something maybe a notch above.

Fun fact: Barbara Crampton doesn’t appear but gets an exec producer credit, haha! Slay, queen

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

7. Psycho Goreman (2020)
Okay, CelticPredator was right. This is amazing. The monster designs are so drat good and such a different weird mix, and then at the end there’s a credits rap.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

8. Curse of the Undead (1959)
I wanted to watch a Western but I’ve got a quota to meet, so I picked this, which might be the first vampire Western ever made.

To make a long story short: this started kind of rote and boring, then it got cool when they gave the vampire’s backstory and dropped some lore, then it got boring again because everyone was talking about land claims, and then in the last five minutes it got cool.

I don’t know if I’d necessarily recommend it, but if you’re into this sort of thing it’s a worthwhile historical footnote, and even with occasional Tubi ad encroachment you’ll be done in under 90 minutes.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

9. Suburban Sasquatch (2004)
This is definitely the kind of thing you’re supposed to watch after a few drinks and it’s maybe twenty minutes too long, but I couldn’t make it through any given 30 seconds without grinning like a loon. What a stupid delight!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

10. Child’s Play (1988)
I didn’t grow up a horror fan—despite spending a lot of time on the precipice because of the way I loved stuff like Beetlejuice, Aaahh!! Real Monsters, and Halloween episodes—and so I missed out on a lot of stuff, but I was very happy to have missed out on Freddy and Chucky for many years.

I knew nothing about them but what they looked like and that they killed, and that was enough for me to want to err on the side of caution and stay away…but I was being silly. I’ve since caught a bunch of NoES and it’s awesome, and now I’ve seen the first Chucky movie. And it’s awesome.

A silly story that is nevertheless neither too self-serious nor too goofy, a couple of fun kills (the doctor!), and great effects in the last 20 or so.

Can’t wait to see how this little fucker becomes a queer ally

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

11. Influencer (2022)
Well-made and beautiful (thanks, Thailand!) twisty psychological thriller about Instagram influencers.
And that makes it sound bad, but it’s actually pretty good!

It sort of reminds me of Sophia Takal’s New Year, New You on Hulu in that both are non-boomery critiques of social media from people the right age to Get it but still properly feel ambivalent about it, although it’s played a lot straighter here.

The location sort of sets it apart from a lot of similar joints. I think movies set in places like this starring white people will always feel a little colonial, but 1) I think that’s in service of the message for the most part and 2) it seems like directorially some gestures were made in this direction, like a slow pan to the older Thai men in charge of the boat who are clearly just doing their jobs while Madison is taking selfies and CW is sitting there looking mysterious.

I don’t know if this is intentional but lol that that woman is named “Content Warning”.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

12. Uncle Sam (1996)
Yeah, I know it’s Memorial Day—it’s the same poo poo. We have like twelve troop holidays but at least this one I don’t have to go into the office!

This is honestly really fun: I love a theme, and murderous abuser fascist who stans Amerikkka lends itself to some pretty appropriate kills, like hanging a rude teen by a flagpole or blowing up a disfavored politician with fireworks.

I think even if you’re a big troophead you can find someone to root for here; heroic Isaac Hayes who lost a leg for imperialism and has complicated feelings about it, but if you’re nasty tankie scum like my rear end you’ll probably enjoy yourself more.

Beware a slow start, but I dug this stupid DTV slasher!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

13. The Collingswood Story (2002)
This sort of feels like a film adaptation of a creepypasta I haven’t read (a vibe of which I wholeheartedly approve), and I’m not sure the last two decades have been kind to it, but I actually think it’s pretty good!

An excellent job setting the tone makes up for acting and a script that aren’t always all that great. I also love this era of Internet, because it’s 1) when I first got access and 2) when it was the Wild West as far as advertisers were concerned, so I’m sure that plays a role in my enjoyment here, but I liked it! It’s not important to watch or whatever but if you’re shotgunning horror movies anyway throw it in the pile.

And that’s the 13 I promised myself! Thanks guys 😘

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

might be even easier to go “watch six films not from the US, UK, or Canada”—even the dedicated Anglophone will hit like fourish and be forced to start to looking at Gambia or wherever

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

ah I meant each from a different country! so you check off Ireland and Australia and now ya gotta watch some Czech thing from 1973

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

thanks for running it! this is my second horrchall after October and they’re always fun—they’re the main thing that gets me actually watching movies