Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hell yeah.

I'm in for a nebulous amount of movies higher than 13.

Already watched Honeymoon (2014) which had a couple of pretty bright spots in a lot of aggressively meh packaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O good someone else posted a review so I'm not literally the first. (Also, gently caress yeah, Lair of the White Worm.)

Honeymoon (2014) ; Leigh Janiak

Newlyweds Bea (Rose Leslie) and Paul (Harry Treadaway) are honeymooning in a cabin on a lake. In the middle of the night, bright lights are visible peering in through the windows and Bea comes back possibly changed after sleepwalking in the woods.

I know Janiak mostly from her Fear Street series so I was curious to see her earlier work. And it's a pretty mixed bag : the highs are quite high, and the lows are pretty mediocre. The premise itself is a rock-solid one that would be at home in one of the better runs of Twilight Zone/Outer Limits/Tales from the Darkside, and Rose Leslie (eventually) gets to put in some really good work. But they desperately wanted you to connect with the young couple and the characters aren't strong enough. Instead of Bea and Paul coming off as rich characters with full inner lives, they feel more like throw-away stock characters that should die in 5 minutes but instead are for 87. I know it sounds dumb to whine about a lack of good characters in this, but there are exactly 4 characters in the whole thing and 2 of them are barely in it so you feel every single B-tier quirk as it's stretched out.

Honestly my biggest takeaway is that I'd be much more interested in a short story from Bea's perspective. Paul is a loving drip and I think you could do some really cool stuff with her inner monologue and how much she knows at any given time.

1 down out of ??????
Now I kind of want to rewatch the first season of Downton Abbey.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

VROOM VROOM posted:

heck yeah gonna do my usual 13 new-to-mes. Got a few classics I've been saving that I hope'll fit into the challenge

e: gonna go ahead and list some of my unseens here for my own notes and so everyone can see my shame
Psycho
The Exorcist
The Blair Witch Project
Paranormal Activity (any)
really anything before, say, 1964
The Silence of the Lambs
Rosemary's Baby
Carrie
Re-Animator

You might want to consider some vintage Hammer stuff. Their Dracula (1958) has the first pairing of Christopher Lee as the Count and Peter Cushing as Van Helsing with an absolute insane amount of boobs for the late 50's. Great stuff, one of those things that every horror fan loves but doesn't get quite the press of the really big pillars like Universal Monsters or Carpenter.

Or just follow your heart and chase your horror bliss. I'm just gesturing vaguely to cool stuff.

Anyway.

Cooties (2014) Cary Murnion, Jonathan Millot

A surprisingly okay horror comedy about teachers at an elementary school who are besieged by murderous zombie kids after one eats an infected chicken nugget.

I bumped into this via streaming roulette and was pleasantly surprised. Bizarrely stacked cast of Elijah Wood and a bunch of TV comedy names. The set up is mildly painful in how straight it's played with Eljiah Wood's very sad substitute teacher/struggling novelist, but it gets better once things get moving and you understand a lot of the humor is very second-third season of Community where the joke is that they're playing with the structure of tropes in ways that aren't a straight parody. Like how Rainn Wilson is cast as the over the top jock-y PE teacher, and despite looking exactly like the schlub from The Office the movie frames it as if they cast David Boreanaz.

It's not gonna blow you away, but it's an okay hour and a half that will give you some good chuckles if you like meta-humor where the joke is that they're messing with jokes. Not exactly rushing to tell everyone to check this out, but it was an okay way to spend a rainy midnight.

2 out of ?????
Hurley from Lost tripping shrooms in a van is an underused framing device

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

VROOM VROOM posted:

yeah I almost started listing Universal/Hammer movies until I realized it was all of them

This sounds like an interesting take on the character, definitely gotta check it out then

You bastard.

Lol.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

It's pouring rain in the woods, I feel obligated to watch horror movies.

15 Things You Didn't Know About Bigfoot (#1 Will Blow Your Mind) (2019) ; Zach Lamplugh

The title is awful. Which is a shame because this is a pretty cute little horror comedy, and that title really is a good one for this. It just also makes you never want to watch it.

Clickbait video journalists go into the woods to document Bigfoot, but it's mostly just a very internet-tinged framing device for a surprisingly functional story. The jokes weren't amazing but they were mostly well delivered ; there's a little too much paprika on the sandwich here or there from Jeff our main bigfoot researcher, but he also is asked to say some pretty ridiculous poo poo so I don't know how much better he could've made it cohere.

Not actually that much 'squatch time, but the whole movie doesn't overstay its welcome so it feels like it's enough.

3 out of ?????????
I'm not going to look up if there's a CBD cryptocurrency because I'm afraid

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Shortcut (2020) ; Alessio Liguori

This is cute. A bunch of very British Italian kids* are on an unspecified bus trip that gets high-jacked by a tongue-eating serial killer, but when the bus breaks down in a tunnel they're all attacked by a gribbly bug-vampire monster. That's more premise than most 87 minute-long movies have and I'm glossing over the abandoned military fort and them sleuthing out the records of a now-dead gribbly hunter : none of this stuff is particularly well-explored, but it's fun business at least.

It's amusing and kind of endearing but probably not substantial enough for most horror fans. This might work for some younger viewers though (or it could be awful and I'm just an old).

4 down out of ????
There's a lunar eclipse too
Unclear how that fits in

*It's not 100% clear where these kids are from but at one point they read aloud in English something that you can see is written in Italian.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Legion (2010) ; Scott Stewart

Paul Bettany is an angel protecting a pregnant woman during an angel-centric apocalypse.

And it's fine if you're into that sort of thing, I guess? I don't really care about Christian mythology, especially not the bland angels-as-winged-dudes kind, and I've always been much more interested in the post-apocalyptic than the messy entropy adjustment step. Paul Bettany is charming as always ; the cop from Mimic is in this and I always liked that guy, plus he gets some surprisingly light business with his prosthetic hand ; Doug Jones, you can never get enough of that beautiful, scrawny weirdo. But outside the cast I didn't really have much to hang my hat on.

It's not bad, just thoroughly fine and not really my taste.

5 down out of yeah this is gonna be more than 13

It's very hard to take anyone named "Jeep" seriously

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

The Relic is also based on a novel that is excellent airport/beach reading. It was one of my favorite books when I was like 12 and the release of the movie was a BIG deal. Actually the book series is still ongoing, except it's centered on a character that somehow ended up being totally deleted from the movie version.

Personally I think the ending of the book was better than the movie, but I can see how it would've been tough to translate to film. What happens is that over the course of the book, they learn things about the creature, and one thing they learn is that it's skull is super think like an elephant's. So they end up killing it because one of the characters is a dead-eye pistol shot, so he lets it charge him and then he puts a shot right in it's eye. The bullet then ricochets inside it's thick skull and kills it.

Wait are The Relic books still on-going or do you just mean the continued of adventures of Agent Pendergast, Southern-fried albino Mary Sue?

Relic and the direct sequel Reliquary loving ruled when I was 11. Preston and Child are generally primo airport fiction, but those were easily the best.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Yea sorry, not really a Relic series just the Pendergast series.

Which I do think had some standouts not including Relic or Reliquary. Still Life With Crows and Cabinet of Curiosities were very good.

Nah I kind of figured. I have Cabinet and 3-4 other Pendergasts because I grabbed them for planes, but I just did it ad hoc so I totally could’ve missed one. They’re good, I just liked the creature feature aspects the best.

Preston has a non-fiction(ish*) about the monster of Florence that also goes down smooth if you’re ever in the mood.

*as in stuff really happened, there’s still some sensationalizing

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O I like that a lot as a contrast to the October one. It’s a little more measured and with more room for finesse with the meta challenges. They’re like palette cleansers for each other.

It’s super neat.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Saloum (2021) ; Jean Luc Herbulot

I'd been kind of saving this one as a treat and the challenge seems like a good time.

First, at some point when this came up in the horror thread I got the impression that this was horrifically violent. It profoundly is not. You could probably get a PG-13 cut of this by just changing the translation a bit.

Once I got over waiting for the other shoe to drop, this is a great and super stylish little action-horror. The soundtrack absolutely rules. I did think it was stronger in the action end that the horror end ; I liked the monsters but their amorphous design made the action scenes less legible so I occasionally found myself resenting them.

Really solid, I'm gonna keep an eye on Monsieur Herbulot.

6 down out of :shrug:
1 in Africa for Geography Lesson

By the way I loving love how many times Chaka asks to do the talking because he's literally saying he wants to "faire le talking". That always makes me smile.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

A reaction to A Field in England

How'd you do with The VVitch for reference? I'm curious how much of this is just bending your ear to Early Modern English and how much of it is the rest of the movie.

I didn't like it that much either, but I at least liked it better than Wheatley's other stuff because the English Civil War is a cool setting.

Anyway, review :

Project Wolf Hunting (2022/3) ; Kim Hong-seon

This is a very well made movie that I didn't like much at all. A bunch of criminals wanted in Korea are being extradited from the Philippines but their escape/boat heist is interrupted by a zombie murder-punch man.

It's really hard to write much about this because from any kind of objective stand-point this is very well made (barring one glaring exception), but I was checking my watch for most of the two hours. Not due to any flaws in the film, but just because it somehow Matrix-dodged its way around my (pretty loving wide and eclectic) tastes. There's an absolute poo poo ton of gore and it's all in that Alex Jones-with-a-paper cut style, great red arcs like a hudson sprayer. I abstractly like the huge cast of characters and how none of them are safe, but in practice it felt very much like if I bumped into the same people twice while I was out shopping, only the second time they walked into a wood chipper. I just wasn't invested in any of them as people, and the plot is pretty much that sentence I gave up top with no additions besides specifics.

It works best as an effects reel and I don't actually want to watch an effects reel for 2 solid hours. And I just don't like punch-men as monsters, even if this is probably as cool as you can make a punch-man. If you feel differently you might love this movie and I wish you all the best.

However, there 1, 1 and a half effects that are just straight up bad. They try to do a knife going in and out of a face with CGI and that has never worked for me, yes I know it's quite popular in Asia, I disagree. Whatever. But the real part where they drop the ball and spike it into the Earth's core is with that god drat CGI wolf. That thing was absolutely egregious. It's in an otherwise effects-heavy sequence (when the punch-man is stitched together in the flashback) so maybe you weren't supposed to pay attention to it, but they didn't fool me.

It would've been pretty bad 20 years ago. It looks like it came out of Reboot. It would've been better if they just put a rolled-up rug in there.

7 and counting
Fresh Hell (since it was only recently released in the US)
Geograph Lesson (1 for Asia)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I dug the VVitch. I definitely didn’t think it was the Old English although that was certainly an extra hurdle. It was the meandering plot, the visual stuff, the vague sense of anything solid. The whole thing just flopped hard for me.

Yeah the “plot” being just stuff happening in sequence absolutely murdered my interest. And anything with hallucinations has to be really careful or they might destroy any sense of stakes.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah even like one of the bigger moments towards the end when Sarah Polly offs a zombie. Snyder plays it as a “bad rear end” moment where you can definitely see how that would have played as a dark joke when Gunn probably wrote it.

I mean it’s early in Gunn’s career so maybe his script and style is less refined. But you can see both auteurs in the movie and really notice their differences trying to fit together.

How are you making me want to rewatch a Zach Snyder movie.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

All of the posters are terrible so I didn't try very hard

Don't Look Now! (1973) ; Nicholas Roeg

I somehow had never even heard of this movie. The They Shoot Zombies list was the first time I've ever clapped eyes on it, didn't even know the pitch, just went in blind.

Holy loving poo poo that's a really good movie. I don't have any insights that I think will be new after 50 years but hot drat. If anyone is like I was and wants a nice little psychological thriller, go loving watch it right now. Also you see a lot of Donald's sutherly lands. So, you know.

I do have one question : was something wrong with the version I watched or did they really have that much un-subtitled Italian? If the latter, good on them.

8 and counting
Shooting Zombies
History Lesson (1 from the 70's)
Geography Lesson (Europe)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Crescent Wrench posted:

You son of a bitch, you may have sold me on Suburban Sasquatch.

Rawrrarrrawrrawwwwr!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I think I'm gonna give either The Ring or Ringu another day in court for the rewatch part of the challenge. Does anyone have a good argument for watching one over the other? ("good argument" here read as "reason besides personal preference")

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I'm just gonna keep letting the Ring-heads fight it out for now.

Right now I watched :

An astoundingly uninformative poster.

In retrospect, I could've spent more effort finding an Ogopogo movie. But instead I went with the first chupacabra movie that happened to come out in the 2010's.

It's fine. Serviceable. There were a bunch of blandly attractive people of indeterminate age, they went to a secret jungle in Panama, they got goat sucked. If anyone reading this ever needs to give a lecture on the use of darkness in cinema, you could use this and The Descent as kind of a goofus and gallant. They both try to do a bat monster in a cave ooky spooky darkness thing, but Indigenous (shockingly) isn't as good as one of the best horror movies ever made.

8 and counting
Tales from the Cryptids
History Lesson (2010's)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O hey we used the same random image for Saloum.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Hah, small world!

Also seconding what you said: the soundtrack is excellent and brings a ton of atmosphere, especially to the sweeping high altitude drone shots. And definitely keeping an eye on the director's future movies.

I really want to see them do more of an action-dark comedy thing at some point. Like if instead of evil spirits it went all Three Kings.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Wait Rankin? Bass? The throws folk music in all their cartoons Hobbit people? They almost made a Godzilla movie?

I guess we found Wes Anderson’s next film.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

Would Taiwan count under Asia, or Southeast Asia for Geography Lesson challenge? I looked at Wikipedia and saw "Some definitions of Southeast Asia may include Taiwan. Taiwan has sometimes been included in Southeast Asia as well as East Asia but is not a member of ASEAN" so I wasn't really sure.

It's fundamentally mowser's call, but I could make a pretty good argument for either. It's an island in Oceania natively populated by Austronesian peoples that has been colonized by 2 distinct Asian countries (one of them at least twice) and is currently the seat of the other, less famous China.

And making either one of these arguments would make about half of the country really mad at me.

Edit : beaten while I was posting this.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This was another movie that loving TRAUMATIZED me as a kid. The scene where the guy gets buried alive still lives in my head rent free to this day.

It's that blond woman just biting into a wine glass like the host of Iron Chef for me. Chomp! *tinkle tinkle*

loving good movie, although from anthropologist friends it sounds like his whole research isn't looking so hot these days.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

There wasn't a clear consensus on whether to retry this or the remake, so I let the decision go to what was most convenient to watch.

And I was... fine with it? I still don't like it from the very conception, but it had been long enough that my hatred has cooled significantly. I forgot most of the stuff I hated was actually just in the remake and the original has some charming stuff. Plus not being 13 has made me able to better appreciate things that aren't my taste.

• Hiroyuki Sanada is in this! I always perk up when I see that guy.
  • Just handing out psychic powers is loving easy mode for writing, but we can pretend that's a stealth Stephen King homage or at least just admire the chutzpah.
  • If you forgot the days of the week in Japanese/just learning them, this could be a good refresher/quiz.
  • This came out just a couple years after Wind Up Bird Chronicle. Was there some event in Japan during the 90's that made people want climaxes involving psychic powers and wells? Sample size of two and all that, but it's a hell of a coincidence.

I'm giving it poo poo, but that means I care enough to. The cast is likable and it's done well enough that I don't feel like I had an hour and a half stolen from me. Which is incredibly faint praise but still a marked improvement from before.

I took a break and forgot the number, 9?
My real goal is the challenges
Second Chances, 90's for History Lesson

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Survival of the Dead (2009) ; Some goddamn NERD

This was shockingly better than I thought it was going to be. But I also thought it would be absolutely agonizing, so keep in mind the high points are more like flirtations with mediocrity.

It was also definitely based on someone's RPG, and because of the year and the narrative I'm pretty dang sure it was All Flesh Must Be Eaten. Part of why I know this is because it's the kind of poo poo I would improvise on the spot if I was asked to back then. There is a squad of National Guard troops after the dead started rising, then they bump into a kid who joins their party but has been scaled appropriately to be a protagonist. There's some pretty uncomfortable sex stuff, because it was the cave-man days of RPG design and player safety tools weren't common. Then there's a GMPC or possibly a PC where the player had talked with the GM way too much.. Finally they set out to have an open world adventure inside a natural boundary for ease of narrative.

The PCs get some rotating spotlight time while being arbitrarily divided so they can see all the moving pieces and interact with the ridiculously rear end-pulled backstory. (O no, I'm the identical twin sister of the zombie that rides a horse, hello I will be with you for the rest of the adventure.) Things are pieced together with no consistency (it's a hidden island, how is there enough room for a ranch?!?!) but who cares it's all just narrative decoration. Eventually everybody's played enough so the characters start getting themselves killed in satisfying manners, because that is the way of the horror one-shot : everyone fights for their lives until the very end and then they turn all but suicidal.

It's better than Diary of the Dead but none of it was as good as the best part of Diary of the Dead.

And it's cool that like half the cast of Patriot is in this. If they'd thrown in Mark Boone "the Boonior" Junior I might have even said I liked it.

Challenge of the Dead
2000's for History Lesson

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

twernt posted:

30. Slash/Back - 2022

Son of a-

Slash/Back (2022) ; Nyla Innuksuk

A movie that I was going to love no matter how it was executed, so it's official rating is gonna be "undefined". It's cute and has a new perspective and I'd like to see more like it. The acting was super variable, with each of the characters having pretty obviously been cast for their ability to do one thing, so they just do that : the Maika and Uki's actresses especially seem really good at their one main emotion (tween disaffection and pure chutzpah, respectively) and absolute dogshit at anything else.

Really though, I'm just echoing everyone else so I want to focus in on one dichotomy, the special effects : When they try to do anything close-up with that CGI polar bear, you just wish they hadn't. I started to feel really depressed when it killed the cop, because I was worried the rest of the movie was going to be like that. But then the practical parts of the vampire-worms in the human skins are great! Quick framing, a decent mask and a good actor : better than most CGI still.

Also, shout out for having big ol' chunks in Inuktitut. gently caress yeah.

Now who do I have to bully until there's more Native American/First Nations horror movies? Just hand Stephen Graham Jones some comically large bags of money and put him in charge of finding projects with it.

I Guess I Should Make a Neater Outline of My Progress
Tales from the Cryptids (Indigenous)
Fresh Hell (Projects Wolf Hunting)
Shooting Zombies (Don't Look Now!)
Second Chance (Ringu)
Challenge of the Dead (Survival of the Dead)
Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things (Slash/Back)
6/11 Total

History Lesson : 5 (70's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's, Now) (I'm gonna watch an 80's because that pisses me off too, don't worry)
Geography Lesson : 4 (North America, Africa, Europe, Asia)

And then I've got another mess of movies just floating around but I stopped caring about over-all numbers. I'm already at about a dozen so I'll be fine without paying attention.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I think the movie of Annihilation isn't actually that deep. It's got a moderately complex visual metaphor, but it's glossing over most of the meat of the premise. The film it most reminded me of is Sunshine in that it has a big convoluted sci-fi premise that it doesn't really do justice in order to give the kind of limp-wristed faux-deep "message"that seems profound but is incredibly well-trod ground. The kind of thing that sounds serious but not if you're just reminding the audience it's a possible topic for discussion. Even though it's well executed, it didn't really have much staying power with me.

But then again I'm one of the "sci-fi people", so I expect an actual sci fi story instead of just another genre with a coat of laser-paint.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

It’s a shallow take of a deep topic. Just generally going “what does it really mean to be human, man? *bong rip” is lame. You gotta dive in and do some Jaques Cousteau poo poo instead of just saying that there’s something deep.

Which is why someone should make an absolutely baroque adaptation of Blindsight.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Well gently caress. Now I wanna watch Jennifer’s Body.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I watched Phantasm 4 and then, for unclear reasons, wound up watching them in reverse order.

By the time 11 year old me got to the part about car-cubing people into zombie miners I was like, "Ok cool. Finally things are starting to make some sense in this franchise."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

That we don't find out what happens to this lady is one of my biggest criticisms of this film.

Edit lol I'm very dumb : Seoul Station (2016) ; Yeon Sang-ho

God help me, I enjoyed the animated Train to Busan prequel.

My expectations were about where you'd expect for "animated prequel to a pretty good but not super memorable movie". But then it's an entirely functional and pretty decent zombie movie? It's not exactly a feast for the eyes, but the story's rock solid and well paced. I'm not sold on the slightly herka-jerk motion everything has, especially how it sometimes looks with walking, but it's only distracting because I was wondering if it's stylization or logistical constraints or both. (Seriously if anyone knows for sure, please let me know.)

It's not great. I don't think everyone should run out and see it. But it's a shockingly solid B+, and there's a version of this that's even higher.

Drawn and Quartered
I guess throw on another for Asia?
What does keeping score mean
In a game we play by ourselves.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 27, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

It's not a double posting if there's 15 hours in between them.

Kadaicha (1988) ; James Bogle

A real estate developer has built a suburb over an aboriginal burial ground, and now a vengeful spirit is giving teenagers rocks in their dreams before killing them in the guise of deadly Australian wildlife. It's basically the silly "Indian burial ground" trope + a dash of Nightmare on Elm Street except it actually plays with some of the colonialist themes you'd expect from that premise.

That being said, it doesn't do a very good job of playing with those themes. The material is there from the incredibly obvious central conceit to some (slightly) more subtle things like the history teacher's lecture being about the creation of Australia as a penal colony. But the movie doesn't do much with them besides "colonialism is bad, guys" ; which, sure, yeah, colonialism is in fact no good, very bad, don't do it : I just think there could've been something more interesting and specific.

The kills aren't much to write home about, but not bad. The magic-rock-summoned monster animals are almost non-existent, but that's because they're mostly represented by a hand-held Sam Raimi-lite POV perspective.

On the upside, it is in fact an Australian movie with a strong theme of colonialism from the 1980's so I get to check challenges off like a motherfucker.

Woke in Fright*
History Lesson (1980s) DONE with 6 contiguous decades
Geography Lesson (Australia) DONE (North America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia/Oceania)

*I'll admit this is kind of marginal because of how poorly it handled the themes. If there's complaint, I'll just watch another thing too.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The Addiction (1995) ; Abel Ferrara

I think this is one of those movies that breaks rating schema because how you feel about the premise and general idea is how you're going to feel about it. A philosophy grad student (who is both dissertating AND taking classes?!?!) gets bit by a vampire and then has on a very arty but very blunt metaphor for addiction. It's pretty much a 1 to 1 of heroin to drinking blood.

Basically it's as if Jim Jarmusch directed Trainspotting but had vampires instead of heroin, so I personally feel like I do about that whole tone. It's beautifully shot (once you get the aesthetic), most of the performances are amazing (for niche goals) and I like a lot of the short game, but the plot and pacing are just a sequence of vaguely connected events : I'm really glad I watched it, but it grated on me the entire time because it didn't give my brain enough to latch onto.

Plus there's a bonus Christopher Walken and some good 90's New York stuff.

Horror High

Remaining :
Holy Terror
It's-a-Me

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I'm outright disquieted by how badly I want to grow a mustache right now.

Tumbbad (2018) ; (Rahil Barve, Anand Ghandi)

It's primary stress on the first syllable and on honest geminate on that "b", in case anyone was wondering.

It's a classic story. Dark god in a well hungers for grain, guy distracts it with doughboys while he robs its underpants, guy becomes rich, hubris, etc. Really solid story. Pacing was distinctly fairy-tale which was a bit weird at first but I came to love it. I had a fun 3 hours watching a 100 minutes movie and learning Hindi. It ruled. Big thanks to the resounding chorus in the horror movie thread.

Holy Terror Done

Now to find a random giallo I haven't watched.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Death Laid an Egg

Sure. It’s trivially available, new to me and seems wild. Excellent choice.

I’ll do that tonight, then probably tack on a capstone rewatch of something as a little bow.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Death Laid an Egg (1968) ; Giulio Questi

The movie opens with a bunch of stock footage of the inside of eggs, then it smash cuts to close ups of brightly colored art deco advertising while a dude unpacks knives and pair of black leather gloves.

CAN'T STOP HERE, IT'S GIALLO COUNTRY

You've got 60's scientific poultry farming and a love triangle and a possible serial killer and blackmail. It's everything and it's fun and it's above all else campy. I'd show this to anyone and think they could have a good time, so long as they can deal with how male-gazey the camera is. This was a great little digestif at the end of the challenge, so thanks again to MZ for the suggestion.

It's-a Me DONE!
All challenges DONE!
A wrap up and probably one last movie coming up before tomorrow.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Wrap Up Post

I was going to watch another horror movie, but I wound up being in the mood for a drama so I watched The Conversation instead. That movie rips! Did you know that Gene Hackman is a really good actor? And since it's my birthday, I got the real horror of looking at Gene Hackman's hairline and mine back to back for a while. ~*~*~*spoooky*~*~*~

Anyway, here is a wrap up post so gey muckle mowser doesn't have to hunt through the giant pile of my bad posts.

1. Horror High : The Addiction (1995) : a very solid movie of its type, but a kind of movie that I personally don't enjoy watching. Still very glad I've seen it though.

2. Tales from the Cryptids : Indigenous (2014) : incredibly generic movie that technically has a chupacabra. It sure was in front of my face for an hour and a half.

3. Holy Terror : Tumbbad (2018) : Polytheism seems like easy mode for horror movies, but this ruled so works for me. Still debating growing a mustache.

4. Fresh Hell : Project Wolf Hunting (2022/2023 depending on region) : Fun and ridiculously gory even if I whined that the monster is "only" a punch-man.

5. Shooting Zombies : Don't Look Now (1973) : I think I fundamentally misunderstood what the challenge meant by "highest" lol. Still a great movie and I'm glad I watched it. Turns out my mom of all people is a huge fan.

6. Drawn and Quartered : Seoul Station (2016) : way better than "animated prequel" should ever be, at a solid B+, A- level.

7. Woke in Fright : Kadaicha (1988 but also '85) : Well no one objected so I'm counting it. Too late now. Not a very interesting film, but it had (poorly realized) colonialist themes, is from Australia and came out in the 80's so I got to check a lot of boxes.

8. Second Chance : Ringu (1998) : Still not really a fan but I didn't know who Hiroyuki Sanada was when I first watched it, and that guy rules. So at least some upwards movement in my estimation. An actor I like got a paycheck!

9. Challenge of the Dead : Survival of the Dead (2009) : The best thing you can say about this film is that it's got not one but two (2!!!) actors from Patriot in it. So you can kind of zone out and thinking about quadruple-flanged duct converters and plumb-jointed sprangle screws.

10. Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things : Slash/Back (2022) : A movie I love more for the potential than the execution, but I loving love the potential so it gets a pass despite some dire CGI and mixed performances from the kids.

11. It's-a Me! : Death Laid an Egg (1968) : Lol. It's an incredibly giallo-giallo that's also about a 60's futuristic poultry farm. loving rules.

Meta-challenges :

12. History lesson : Completed (with an extra to make it contiguous, because c'mon)
60's (Death Laid An Egg)
70's (Don't Look Now)
80's (Kadaicha)
90's (Ringu, The Addiction)
2000's (Survival of the Dead)
And then a mess of stuff in the 10's and 20's.

13. Geography Lesson : Completed
Africa (Saloum)
Europe (Death Laid an Egg, Don't Look Now)
Asia (comically stacked)*
Oceania/Australia (Kadaicha)
North America (Slash/Back, among others but that's the one I want to count)

Then there were 5 random movies (Honeymoon, Legion, Cooties, Shortcut, 15 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Bigfoot) I did before the categories were released for a total of 17 movies. A svelte total, but I have another project that's making me watch mysteries so that split my attention.

Lots of fun! Thanks to mowser for running it and looking forward to October!

*Don't wanna back-seat challenge here, but maybe having literally half of the world's population in one category isn't very equitable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Mazel tov, CrescentWrench!

Don't let Brown Jenkins steal your soul away to the dream depths of Khadath.