Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ok I'm in for 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#1: The Relic

:spooky: 12. History lesson :spooky: 1990s
:spooky: 13. Geography Lesson :spooky: North America

The Relic is a fun time. It's not a horror comedy, but there is a persistent air of slight goofiness over the whole movie. It's the kind of movie where the museum has a display that's apparently just a bunch of spikes just so a decapitated corpse can be thrown on top of the spikes at one point. Excellent practical effects, some dodgy CGI.

It's basically a perfect movie to catch on TV in the afternoon. Doesn't demand your whole attention but there's always something fun happening on screen.

If you're tired of emotionally wrenching metaphorical explorations of trauma or whatever, just throw on The Relic while you're making dinner of sorting your laundry. You'll like it.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 3, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Basebf555 posted:

The Relic is also based on a novel that is excellent airport/beach reading. It was one of my favorite books when I was like 12 and the release of the movie was a BIG deal. Actually the book series is still ongoing, except it's centered on a character that somehow ended up being totally deleted from the movie version.

Personally I think the ending of the book was better than the movie, but I can see how it would've been tough to translate to film. What happens is that over the course of the book, they learn things about the creature, and one thing they learn is that it's skull is super think like an elephant's. So they end up killing it because one of the characters is a dead-eye pistol shot, so he lets it charge him and then he puts a shot right in it's eye. The bullet then ricochets inside it's thick skull and kills it.

They could have pulled it off. The Relic did not seem like the kind of movie that would have been above putting a cartooney x-ray machine in the museum and then have the monster's head coincidentally line up with the x-ray machine just so you could see the bullet bouncing around in there

Especially since so much of the movie about investigating mysterious objects that have arrived at the museum, that's a perfect excuse for them to have an x-ray machine!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I will never understand why it's so hard to make a good Bigfoot movie. They did it once with Legend of Boggy Creek, so we know it's possible.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Berzerker posted:

For the "Second Chance" challenge I'm debating between three movies that are popular but I rated low the first time around: Insidious, Hostel, and The Grudge. If anyone thinks one of these is more worthy of a revisit, let me know. Hostel and The Grudge I haven't seen in at least ten years, Insidious I watched a few years ago.

The Grudge could be worth a shot since we're now so far removed from the J-Horror craze. You might be able to appreciate the movie better simply because there aren't movies just like it coming out all the time anymore.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Does Naked Lunch count? I don’t know what genre it is but I know it’s got monsters in it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#2: 2LDK

Two struggling actresses come home to the apartment they share after auditioning for the same role. Standard roommate annoyances start to mount and tension builds, until they push each other too far.

What a great movie. Both actresses turn in fantastic performances, coming across as genuinely annoying and annoyed in their turn. It's balanced so well, you don't root for one over the other. If you have ever lived with another person you know somebody else's existence can rub on you to the point where one of them has a nervous breakdown and the other one is just like, "she's doing this to annoy me". And she's kinda right.

The fighting is so good. They definitely want to kill each other, but they're so angry they really just want to hurt and humiliate each other more. The result is a blend of actual murderousness with slapsticky bullying that keeps the fight fresh and interesting despite it's extreme length.

I appreciate how they had to give the apartment insane interior decoration in order to justify a chainsaw being in there.

I especially like how at a couple points the movie seems to be setting up that their mutual animosity is covering up a mutual admiration, and maybe even attraction?... Only to then swerve right back, nope, these bitches loving hate each other.

And it's only 70 minutes! Do you have any excuse not to watch 2LDK?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#3: The Mothman Prophecies

:spooky: 2. Tales from the Cryptids :spooky:
Because it is about the Mothman

:spooky: 12. History lesson :spooky: 2000s

Man, that first opening scene where Richard Gere is happily loving his beautiful Debra Messing wife in the beautiful huge house they're about to buy, that whole time I'm just like, Debra Messing is loving dead in the next five minutes.

Pretty good. Moves around at a good clip. The bridge collapse scene is great. Could have used more Mothman.

I think it's really hut by Richard Gere's character being an outsider. Everything is focused on this small town that's about to have a tragedy, but Gere is from the big city, and that lack of connection to the community weakens the whole thing. He's a big city journalist, but his big city journalism doesn't really add anything or move the plot forward. And his wife getting killed by a Mothman gives him reason to get really invested in the Mothman thing, but it doesn't really fit the Mothman lore. If Mothman presages big disasters, why was he loving around on that random DC street causing one single car accident and loving off? I want to say that the movie would have been better if our lead was a local who got interested in the mothman because it was an interesting thing happening in their town, but then at that point I'm just describing a completely different movie also about the Mothman.

I know the vast majority of this review has been about what I think didn't work, but it's hardly a bad movie. Perfectly good Mothman time. It's just not the great Mothman movie we deserve.

Challenges in progress
12. History lesson: 1990s (The Relic) 2000s (The Mothman Prophecies)
13. Geography Lesson: North America (The Relic)
Challenges complete
2: Tales from the Cryptids: Mothman Prophecies (because of mothman)

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 5, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#4: Scream

It's a great movie! It's funny, there's so much talk of classic slashers throughout it, but the first scene also shows off how different it is from those movies. When Barrymore hits the guy and he's actually hurt, it establishes that this is just a guy. He's not an unstoppable monster like Freddy or Jason. And when she takes his mask off but the audience can't see who's under it, that establishes that this is a mystery. It's a classic whodunnit. It's a whodunnit wearing the skin of a slasher.

Scream has an odd structure. It's basically got two scenes, the opening and the party, and then some exposition and fluff between them. But the opening and the party take up like more than half of the movie's run time.

I was persistently distracted by Courtney Cox's lipstick. I'm not a makeup guy, I don't know what made her lipstick weird, but I don't think I've seen anyone wear that kind of lipstick since 2004. Maybe they lost the formula to make it.

Challenges in progress
Challenges complete

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#5: Scream 2

OK, I know for a fact I have seen Scream 2 before. But I somehow remembered literally nothing from it. Which is especially weird because it's really good! The cast is insane, I should've at least remembered the cavalcade of stars.

Early on we get "the sorority girls" intorduced, it's a line of five pretty preppy girls, I immediately assume, "oh OK they're upping the body count for the sequel, here are five pretty girls who will get bumped off" But then none of them die. Like, to the point where I think that introduction scene was intentional misdirection. Wes Craven wanted you to think Scream 2 was going to be a more traditional slasher, here's your lineup of victims. But then, like the original, it's not a slasher. Scream was a whodunnit, Scream 2 is basically a giallo.

Man, I was on Cox's case about her weirdly dated lipstick in the first one, and here she's got red streaks in her hair. What was going on with her hair and makeup people with this franchise?

Challenges in progress
Challenges complete

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

gey muckle mowser posted:

just wait til you see her bangs in Scream 3

OH JESUS

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#6: Scream 3

Ironic, that the movie about the making of a movie called Stab has no loving stabbing in it! Like, at first I noticed that there was a lot of punching in the fights, and I was like, that's neat you don't see much punching in horror movies. But then I realized that the punches replaced the stabbings! Scream 1 started with a stabbed to death girl hung from a tree with her guts hanging out, barely anyone gets stabbed at all in Scream 3 and when they do they barely bleed. I bleed more when I shave than these fuckers do when they get stabbed in the torso!

I love Gale Weathers. She's a great character. A Scream movie where Gale Weathers is the lead could easily be great. Lots of people with legitimate reasons to hate her, but they're pretty good at giving her enough humanity so you don't want to see her get killed. It could work. But a movie where Gale is the lead for the first half, and then Sidney walks into the story and completely takes over? That's not great. That's weird and bad.

I don't like the voice changer that can perfectly replicate anyone's voice. That's too goofy. It almost feels like they did it to add obfuscation since there's only one killer this time but it doesn't work.

I don't like the retcon. A not as good sequel is fine, but if it fucks with the canon of the good movies, that's a problem.

All that being said. I still enjoyed it. It's a fun time, it's just a drastic step down from the first two.

Challenges in progress
Challenges complete

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

STAC Goat posted:

For what it’s worth the reason for the decreased violence in Scream 3 is it started production like minutes after Columbine and the studio got real gun shy about things as you can imagine. The original script had like a cult of movie obsessed killer teens in Woodsboro. So they decided they had to go way there opposite route of killer high school students.

Man, remember when one school shooting was a big deal?

Also, I know we already talked about her bangs, but there's one scene early on where Courtney Cox is standing on the Stab 3 set and you can see she has the most pathetic lovely highlights ever. I don't think you'd be able to see them on DVD, they're very faint. I don't know if she doesn't have them in other scenes or if it was just the perfect lighting and closeups of the back of her head that make them stand out in that one scene. Kinda want to get the UHD and investigate further.

edit: oh poo poo, is Columbine also why there's only one killer in Scream 3?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#7: Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 05: Preface True Story Of The Ghost Of Yotsuya

:spooky: 3. Holy Terror :spooky: A major character is a shinto priest and a shinto exorcism takes up a large portion of the running time

:spooky: 12. History lesson :spooky: 2010s

:spooky: 13. Geography Lesson :spooky: Asia

Taking up some time after the events of Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 04, Director Kudo calls the band back together with big news; The videos are selling better. So he wants to make another. This one investigating the unearthly face which appeared in the background of an independent film.

This episode isn't as high key as 4, which makes sense because Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 4 is amazing and easily among the best horror movies ever made. But it's still quite good, builds on everything that has happened so far, and drops a major bombshell. You know Kaidan, those classic Japanese folk tales that were collected in like the 1700s and have been part of Japanese cultural canon ever since? What if they weren't actually collections of existing folktales? What if they were actually totally new made up stories intended to create the ghosts and monsters they describe through the power of collective belief? And then once they existed, they would serve as go-betweens which would allow an ancient god to enter our world. Certainly has implications for Kappa, Slit-Mouthed Woman, and Toilet Hanako.

We get a really fun spin on the classic exorcism sequence, and one of the most upsetting simple horror things when they see how long Amy has been standing there.

It also confirms that Director Kudo is the greatest horror movie hero of all time. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Challenges in progress
12. History lesson: 1990s (The Relic) 2000s (The Mothman Prophecies) 2010s (Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 05: Preface True Story Of The Ghost Of Yotsuya)
13. Geography Lesson: North America (The Relic) Asia (Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 05: Preface True Story Of The Ghost Of Yotsuya)
Challenges complete
3. Holy Terror: Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 05: Preface True Story Of The Ghost Of Yotsuya (because of Shinto)

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 6, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#8: Scream 4

Something of a return to form after the disappointing Scream 3. Somebody gets gutted and you see the guts, and the retcon from 3 is never mentioned. And it's got Sookie Stackhouse in it!

It's not as good as the first two. The major problem being that the new crew is not integrated at all into the old cast. Which makes sense, they all fuckin die, but it does leave the movie feel a bit disjointed. We spend so much screen time with these new teens, but it's still extremely Sidney's story.

But as this is the fourth movie, we have reached the point in the series where it's possible for "a good Scream" to exist, and Scream 4 certainly qualifies. It's got the blood, it's got the jokes, it will satisfy in a Scream manner. But you won't go back to it as often as you will the first two.

It's ironic, Scream 4 came out in 2011 and comments on the spate of horror reboots that preceded it, but as a sequel that introduces a new cast which are all overshadowed by the old cast, it actually predicted the flood of soft seboots that would come after it. Jurassic World, The Force Awakens, JJbrams Trek, you were all pre called out!

Challenges in progress
12. History lesson: 1990s (The Relic) 2000s (The Mothman Prophecies) 2010s (Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 05: Preface True Story Of The Ghost Of Yotsuya)
13. Geography Lesson: North America (The Relic) Asia (Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 05: Preface True Story Of The Ghost Of Yotsuya)
Challenges complete
3. Holy Terror: Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 05: Preface True Story Of The Ghost Of Yotsuya (because of Shinto)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#9: Still Screaming: The Ultimate Scary Movie Retrospective

The bluray set I got with the first three Screams also came with two feature length documentaries, Still Screaming and Scream: The Inside Story.

I turned The Inside Story off in the first five minutes. It was just all the standard pre-release media tour interviews, but edited together into a feature length thing with a voiceover. Not watching that.

Still Screaming, on the other hand, was a proper retrospective. Clearly purpose-made interviews, interviews with not just the leads but also some of the side actors, a movie reviewer, and a quick bit with a memorabilia collector showing off the hero Ghostface suit from 3. Lots of fun tidbits, and very willing to admit when missteps were made. People, especially Jamie Kennedy, talk about how killing off Randy was a mistake, and there's a lot about the mess that was Scream 3. Not only did Columbine gently caress everything up, they couldn't get the writer of the first two Screams back because he had gotten so big off Scream that he was working on literally every American horror movie that came out between 1998 and 2002. And Neve Campbell was working on a TV show and shooting another movie at the same time, so there was super limited time she was available which is why Gale and Dewey have to hold up the first half of the movie.

I especially enjoyed Scott Foley saying he didn't think the twist made sense and then it cutting to Wes Craven laughing and saying that, hey, it's not technically impossible.

Not bad stuff to have on in the background as you do chores if your a fan of Scream or behind the scenes stuff.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#9: Scream

:spooky: 12. History lesson :spooky: 2020s

This movie is called Scream, but it's also the fifth movie in the Scream series, and it's the second movie called Scream. So it would be correct to call it Scream, Scream 5, or Scream 2. Any of those are fine.

It's quite good! The new cast is good and doesn't get completely overshadowed like in Scream 4. There is also a ton of gore. I don't know if this has the most stabbing of any Scream, but if it doesn't it's drat close.

It does put Scream 4 in an awkward place, because Scream 4 was a way better Scream 3 than Scream 3 was, but it came after Scream 3 so it was also part of the way towards being what Scream 5 is. And since Scream 3 was so self-referential about being the end of a trilogy, and Scream 5 is clearly the start of a new trilogy, we're gonna have a franchise that's two trilogies and also Scream 4.

Very strong Scream. A good refresh for the franchise, I'm excited to see Scream 6.

But the term is soft seboot, not requel. Requel is a terrible word.

Challenges in progress
12. History lesson: 1990s (The Relic) 2000s (The Mothman Prophecies) 2010s (Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 05: Preface True Story Of The Ghost Of Yotsuya) 2020s (Scream)
Challenges complete

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Is As Above So Below well-regarded enough for Challenge 8: Second Chance? I see people list it all the time as one of the best found footage movies, and sometimes even as a good movie beyond the found footage format.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#10: M3gan

:spooky: 4. Fresh Hell :spooky:

I'm just gonna echo what everyone else has already said. Super solid movie, hits all the beats you'd want from a killer doll movie without feeling like a retread, knowingly campy without going too far and becoming obnoxious, the characters are well fleshed out, never really puts a foot wrong. Just a good killer doll time.

I'm very happy to hear it's getting a sequel, this absolutely feels like a franchise that could go forever based on the strength of the monster design. I am onboard for M3gan 2 and I will be on board for M3gan 10.

yeah I’d say so, it’s not an all-time classic or anything but a lot of people (myself included) really like it and it gets talked about enough to be worth revisiting.

oh good. I watched in once ages ago as part of a big found footage binge and wasn't really impressed. The persistent positive mentions of it have had me thinking I need to give it another go.

Challenges in progress
12. History lesson: 1990s (The Relic) 2000s (The Mothman Prophecies) 2010s (Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 05: Preface True Story Of The Ghost Of Yotsuya) 2020s (Scream)
Challenges complete
4. Fresh Hell: M3gan

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#11: Beware! Children at Play

:spooky: 10. Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things :spooky:
:spooky: 12. History lesson :spooky: 1980s

All I knew about this going in was the infamous final scene, so I was kinda expecting the whole movie to just be a bunch of faffing around until the end. But it's actually solidly entertaining all the way through. It starts off with a dad and his young son out camping, the dad gets caught in a bear trap, and the kid is trapped there for days with his dying dad as he slowly goes insane from the pain. The creepy things the murderous kids chant later are the half-remembered lines from Beowulf the dad repeated endlessly as he died

I will admit, some of what keeps the movie entertaining is the goofy over-written dialogue and the bad actors wrestling with it. But that counts! It keeps your attention through the downtime until the murders start. And the murders are wonderfully over the top. We also get some good angry mob content.

There's a guy with a very poorly dyed beard who kinda looks like Stephen King, and he's playing a role that's the kinda role you'd have Stephen King play if this was a movie based on a Stephen King story. And honestly the movie could totally have been based on some obscure Stephen King short story B-side.

And then, of course, you get to the end. The child murder scene. And my god. It is as amazing as you have heard. It just goes on and on. They kill all those children, you see each child die individually, there's guns and machetes and a putchfork. The child actors in the bulk of the movie aren't great, but for this scene they had to get so many kids that several of them aren't even child actors, they're just kids who got roped into a shot where they stand still while an adult puts a gun in their mouth.

And that's the end of the movie.

Challenges in progress
Challenges complete
10. Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things: Beware! Children at Play
12. History lesson: 1980s (Beware! Children at Play)1990s (The Relic) 2000s (The Mothman Prophecies) 2010s (Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 05: Preface True Story Of The Ghost Of Yotsuya) 2020s (Scream)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#12: The Spine of Night

:spooky: 6. Drawn and Quartered :spooky:

A very intentional throwback to classic 80s fantasy and adult animation, strong shades of Bakshi and Heavy Metal. If not for Patton Oswalt's voice you could easily believe The Spine of Night was made in 1985. It is genuinely the kind of movie they just don't make anymore. Not only because it's animated in the extremely labor-intensive rotoscoping method, but also in the genre and style of presentation. Classic capital f Fantasy, with out a drop of irony or a single wink to the audience. This movie takes itself seriously and expects the audience to take itself seriously as well.

I love all that, all that's great, the amount of work that went into the movie and the dedication to create it is breathtaking. but unfortunately I would say that The Spine of Night is more impressive than it is good.

The characters are quite flat and the movie is dull in parts. But what really lets it down is the score. This is a spectacle movie, you're supposed to be along for the ride. Some good music would have made that work way better. But instead the score is very placeholdery. There is music, but you won't remember it. Maybe they were in a bind because the appropriate music choices would be hack now. You're doing an intentional 80s throwback to adult animation, a soundtrack of 80s hits like Heavy Metal would make sense, but Guardians of the Galaxy and 50 other big movies and shows have already done that. Synth, similarly, would make the movie feel modern. And a big orchestral score would be prohibitively expensive for this low-budget labor of love.

It's a little frustrating because The Spine of Night is impressive as hell and I'm glad that it exists, but it falls a little short of being a movie I actually like.

Challenges in progress
Challenges complete
6. Drawn and Quartered: The Spine of Night
12. History lesson: 1980s (Beware! Children at Play)1990s (The Relic) 2000s (The Mothman Prophecies) 2010s (Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 05: Preface True Story Of The Ghost Of Yotsuya) 2020s (Scream)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

twernt posted:

If you liked the other ones, it may be worth it.

It's not a great series, but it's an actual series with continuity and IMO an important place in horror history.

That was a weird time for horror franchises, with both Saw and Paranormal Activity going hard on continuity despite also going for a disposable one a year format

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#13: Naked Lunch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sL102pyaLg

:spooky: 1. Horror High :spooky:

I didn't know anything about the movie going in, but I was not expecting that many anuses. And I certainly wasn't expecting the anuses to be that big. And I definitely wasn't expecting the anuses to get that much screen time.

It's an unpleasant movie, it's about a dude getting stoned out of his mind after fleeing the country, there's a sweaty stickiness to the whole thing. If you remember the Chinese restaurant scene from Existenz, it's a lot like that, but it's a whole movie. I've never read Burroughs, so I kept thinking the movie had strong Phillip K Dick vibes. Weird drugs, aliens, a normal guy has to deal with all this stuff, etc.

Fantastic practical effects and great acting. Weller has this low rumbly voice the whole time, and the first time he meets the big bug he barely even says words, he mainly just makes rumbly sounds, it's great.

Weird movie.

Challenges in progress
Challenges complete
1: Horror High: Naked Lunch

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m rewatching As Above So Below, and I understand why I didn’t think much of the movie the first time. I’m intentionally trying to give the movie another shot and it took a serious force of will to not consign it to the trash heap when they translate a poem written in Aramaic and it rhymes in English.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#14: As Above So Below

:spooky: 8. Second Chance :spooky:

I first watched As Above So Below a few years back as part of a big found footage catch up. I wasn't really impressed at the time. But I've seen people say nice things about it consistently so I figured it was worth a second go.

It turns out it's good! I think I was just kinda burned out by bad found footage when I watched it and was in a very uncharitable mood. So when early on a guy translates a poem from Aramaic to English and it rhymes in English, I was just like, dumb movie, into the bin. But gritting my teeth and getting through that, the movie is pretty fun. It's way more Tomb Raider/Indiana Jones than you would expect from a found footage movie, with ancient stone traps and stuff. The catacombs/hell setting allows for a good variety of scares, there's lots of blood, some fun camera tricks. It's a good time.

My one remaining reservation is that I'm not sure it's best served as a found footage. I think it could have worked just as well, if not better, as a traditional movie. But it is what it is and what that is is a fun spooky adventure time.

Challenges in progress
Challenges complete
8. Second Chance: As Above So Below

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#15: Happy Birthday To Me

:spooky: 5. Shooting Zombies :spooky:

The Challenge says highest rank you haven't seen and have access to and this was the highest ranked one I haven't seen and was available on bluray at my local Half Price Books, so I'm counting it.

Pretty good standard slasher fare. Multiple fun deaths and a couple good car stunts which I wasn't expecting. Really unpleasant brain surgery scene. The one drawback is the running time. It's too long. Could stand to lose 12 or 20 minutes.

Not bad but I don't know if it's the 900th best horror movie of all time. On the other hand I can't think of 900 better horror movies so gently caress me I guess

[sub][sub]Challenges in progress
Challenges complete
5. Shooting Zombies: Happy Birthday To Me

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Xiahou Dun posted:

It’s a shallow take of a deep topic. Just generally going “what does it really mean to be human, man? *bong rip” is lame. You gotta dive in and do some Jaques Cousteau poo poo instead of just saying that there’s something deep.

Which is why someone should make an absolutely baroque adaptation of Blindsight.

Annihilation is a classic turn your brain off movie. Just enjoy the spooky poo poo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#16: An Angel for Satan

:spooky: 11. It's-a Me! :spooky:

:spooky: 13. Geography Lesson: Europe(Italy) :spooky:

A classic gothic horror story about a cursed statue of a beautiful woman pulled from a bog, but with an extra dash of Hammer style sexiness. Would you believe me if I told you there is a modern day young woman who looks exactly like the statue because it was modeled after he ancestor who wanted her beauty to live on forever? Can you guess where the story will go from there? I believe the answer is yes.

The one thing that holds An Angel for Satan back is how little sexiness there is. It's a 60s Italian horror about a woman who is just so hot she drives herself and others insane with her hotness. You'd expect nudity. Maybe the version Tubi has is edited?

Also despite the title there is no satan.

But as it is, it's a perfectly enjoyable little gothic time, and the chick is really very hot.

13. Geography Lesson: North America (The Relic) Europe (An Angel for Satan) Asia (Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 05: Preface True Story Of The Ghost Of Yotsuya)
Challenges complete
11. It's-a Me!: An Angel for Satan

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 23, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#17: Shivers

My last review I was saying the movie needed some nudity, and whaddya know, here's all the nudity I ordered and more.

A glitzy apartment high rise gets infected with parasites that turns people horny. Too horny.

It's good! It's a bit of a detective story but as the infection slowly spreads it eventually morphs into a zombie movie. I like that a lot.

The one place I think it stumbles is the monster design. Unarticulated plastic slugs glued on to the actors. They look bad, they look goofy in a bad way. Get rid of those things, have a different way of visually depicting the spread of infection, I'd give the movie an A. but I just don't like the slugs.

I'm really disappointed that there aren't sequels. I'd watch the hell out of increasingly cheaply made and problematic straight to video Shivers sequels.

13. Geography Lesson: North America (The Relic) Canada (Shivers) Europe (An Angel for Satan) Asia (Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 05: Preface True Story Of The Ghost Of Yotsuya)
Challenges complete
12. History lesson: 1960s (An Angel for Satan) 1970s (Shivers)1980s (Beware! Children at Play)1990s (The Relic) 2000s (The Mothman Prophecies) 2010s (Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 05: Preface True Story Of The Ghost Of Yotsuya) 2020s (Scream)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#18: House at the End of the Street

Gonna be honest, I started watching this thinking that at least I'd be able to get a higher up entry on that They Shoot Zombies list, since I was criticized for being unambitious with Happy Birthday To Me at #900.

Turns out I had this confused with Last House on the Left. No one is putting House at the End of the Street on any good lists.

Basic story is Jennifer Lawrence and her mom move in next to a murder house where a teen girl went nuts and chopped up her parents with an axe, and then disappeared. Now the son who was away at the time lives alone in the house. He's dreamy so Lawrence falls in love with him, but then, twist, he's been keeping the killer sister locked up in a secret subbasement. Turns out she killed her parents because of brain damager her brother blames himself for, so he's been keeping her safe and hidden this whole time.

No, the movie up to this point was not good. But I think it could have been. Eventually the sister gets out and almost kills more people and the brother trying to restrain her accidentally kills here. I was sitting there thinking, I am not feeling emotions about this, but I absolutely could be. A better script, really get into the overlapping sorts of guilt the brother has, this could be really good. A kind of slasher movie version of Of Mice And Men.

But then, extra twist, it turns out it's not his sister. The accident that gave he said gave her brain damage actually killed her, the brother killed the parents, and he's been kidnapping random women and dressing them up like his sister and keeping the in his secret basement. Congratulations, House at the End of the Street. The one thing you had going for you was the premise, and you threw it in the trash for a much worse premise.

At the end we do get a long trapped in a house with a killer sequence which, in fairness, does achieve basic tension. Like, it's not particularly good or clever, but while it was happening I looked at my phone less often. But it's still nowhere near enough to make the movie worth watching.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't suppose any one has recommendations for movies that qualify for Woke in Fright or Challenge of the Dead that were made in Central/South America, Middle East/Africa. Australia/Oceania, or Southeast Asia?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#19: Dawn of the Dead

:spooky: Shooting Zombies :spooky:

I was specifically challenged to aim higher on the Shooting Zombies list than my previous entry, Happy Birthday to Me at number 900. So here it is, the actual highest movie on the list I hadn't seen before. It's kinda wild that I hadn't seen the original Dawn of the Dead before. I got into horror stuff around the time of the remake coming out, I watched NotLD and Day of the Dead, and I really wanted to watch Dawn of the Dead but at the time I think there was some kind of licensing weirdness going on with it so I could never find it on DVD. Eventually it passed out of my mind and I absorbed so much about it from cultural osmosis I just never made it a priority.

I don't want to blow anyone's minds here. but the original Dawn of the Dead is very good. Starting right in the middle of everything is suck a fantastic choice, it makes the whole thing sweaty and tense from the jump. I love how society collapses because of the choices people make. That's so much better than how all other zombie stuff does it, where the arrival of a zombie just magically turns off society.

I also really like how long it takes them to fortify the mall. When they finally have their little shopping spree it feels like a well earned party after all the hard work. Only to them immediately segue into a realization that this isn't going to work. They immediately start going crazy living in this preserved slice of the dead world. It's funny how much the remake spawned the whole "What's your awesome zombie apocalypse plan to have a cool party pad where you can do whatever you want?" thing when the original is so opposed to that whole concept. You can't have an awesome party pad after you've killed the world.

13. Geography Lesson: North America (The Relic) Canada (Shivers) Europe (An Angel for Satan) Asia (Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 05: Preface True Story Of The Ghost Of Yotsuya)
Challenges complete
5. Shooting Zombies: Dawn of the Dead
12. History lesson: 1960s (An Angel for Satan) 1970s (Shivers)1980s (Beware! Children at Play)1990s (The Relic) 2000s (The Mothman Prophecies) 2010s (Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 05: Preface True Story Of The Ghost Of Yotsuya) 2020s (Scream)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I just watched Gaia, which is a South African film with strong environmental themes. It's only an OK movie but it would qualify for Woke in Fright

Thanks!

#20: Gaia

:spooky: 7. Woke in Fright :spooky:

:spooky: 13. Geography Lesson :spooky: Seth Efrika

This movie straight up, unashamedly, 100% steals the mushroom people design from The Last of Us. They don't even change the color or the placement of the mushroom parts or even that they're sound-activated. These aren't mushroom people like The Last of Us, they just are the mushroom people from The Last of Us. Which I'm actually fine with, that's a fantastic monster design and I'm happy to see it being used outside the most mid video game ever made.

Unfortunately, Gaia isn't very good. It has the cool mushroom people, but they aren't the focus. It's about this lady who goes into some super out of the way forest with her black friend (dies instantly) and ends up meeting this Dutch primitivist freak who sets up traps for the mushroom people after she steps on one of the traps. The dutch freak reluctantly nurses her back to health and she falls in love with his simple-minded son. That's what the movie's actually about, this lady getting Stockhom Syndromed by a terrible Dutch father-son duo.

There are some neat visuals at first but they've got a small bag of tricks so by the second half you aren't seeing anything you haven't before.

And holy loving poo poo does this movie love the fakeout dream. Something scary happens to someone and then they wake up gasping happens, genuinely, like half a dozen times. Once is too many!

Gey muckle mowser is a kinder soul than I when they call this movie "OK"

[sub]Challenges in progress
13. Geography Lesson: North America (The Relic) Canada (Shivers) Europe (An Angel for Satan) Asia (Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 05: Preface True Story Of The Ghost Of Yotsuya) Africa (Gaia)
Challenges complete
7. Woke in Fright: Gaia

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#21: Juan of the Dead

:spooky: 9. Challenge of the Dead :spooky:

:spooky: 13. Geography Lesson Cuba :spooky:

:spooky: ALL CHALLENGES COMPLETE :spooky:

Just under the line I bring it home and complete all challenges!

The first half of Juan of the Dead is pretty strong. Classic zombie stuff with a dose of comedy, segueing into a zombie Ghostbusters. Moves at a good clip, the zombie stuff is good zombie stuff, the humor mostly lands, it's a good time.

It lost me in the second half. They kill the best character, the pacing goes to poo poo, the Ghostbusters angle is dropped, there's a bunch of dodgy CGI, and it goes from just having a funny gay character to being actively homophobic. Also, 123movies.net started stuttering in the second half.

So overall I can't call it terrible, but rating the whole movie I can't go higher than Ehh.

All Challenges complete
9. Challenge of the Dead: Juan of the Dead
13. Geography Lesson: North America (The Relic) Canada (Shivers) Europe (An Angel for Satan) Asia (Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 05: Preface True Story Of The Ghost Of Yotsuya) Africa (Gaia) Latin America (Juan of the Dead)

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 1, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

W-W-W-W-Wrap up!

I pledged to watch 13 movies, I did and then I watched 8 more.

All Challenges complete
9. Challenge of the Dead: Juan of the Dead
13. Geography Lesson: North America (The Relic) Canada (Shivers) Europe (An Angel for Satan) Asia (Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File 05: Preface True Story Of The Ghost Of Yotsuya) Africa (Gaia) Latin America (Juan of the Dead)

Best new watches: M3gan, Beware Children at Play, Dawn of the Dead

Worst new watches: House at the End of the Street, Gaia

Biggest surprises: Beware Children at Play actually being fun outside of the infamous massacre scene, finding out RLM got their BGM from Dawn of the Dead

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Thanks for participating everyone! I will be going over the results and selecting a random winner this weekend.

Thanks so much for hosting the challenge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jedit posted:

You can do that challenge fairly easily without watching a movie not in English. Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Nigeria, South Africa, and finish off with Jesus Franco's Count Dracula.

I gotta be honest I can't imagine that there is a person who is that dedicated to never ever reading subtitles, but also at the same time desperately wants to finish all the October Horror Challenge Thread thread challenges.

A person who is willing to try a Nigerian horror movie, but The Ring is just too foreign for them.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 2, 2023