Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm in for 13 to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Movie #1: Black Friday! (2021)

"Attention, shoppers. Black Friday is over!"

Black Friday is an incompetent movie, even though you might not think so at first glance. If you just saw some random stills or GIFs from it, you'd think it was a competent movie, because it certainly looks like one. The lighting, camera work and practical effects are shockingly good compared to every other aspect of the film. The last part isn't surprising, because the effects were made by Bob Kurtzman, who also did the effects on Evil Dead II. I didn't know that going in, but it became extremely obvious about halfway through because many of the monsters really could be lost Deadites.

The script is both clichéd as hell and confusing as gently caress. It's Black Friday, and a group of bored workers are preparing to open a toy store for the night's shopping madness, when it turns out that all the shoppers are zombies. Bet you never heard that one before! Until about 2/3 of the way through our entire cast of characters have so little characterization that they are basically one or two superficial traits.

This is a gay guy, this is an old guy, this guy's a germophobe, this guy is the supposedly cool tough middle-aged divorcee sniffing around a girl young enough to be his daughter, this girl's the love interest of a guy twice her age, this is the old lady who says racist things, this is the tough black guy. Oh by the way, did you figure out which of the characters is our main character? Then, all of a sudden, the movie remembers that we're kinda supposed to care about our characters and settles down for 15 minutes of character building and interpersonal drama that comes out of loving nowhere and lands with a wet thud.

The whole script is a mess. Aside from the very strange pacing, it feels like there are whole scenes missing, because characters keep kinda referring to dialogue and things that sure as hell didn't happen on my screen, and the plot frequently jumps from point A to point D, without bothering to even touch on points B and C. Many of the jokes just miss the mark by a loving mile and feel like they were written by a bad AI jumbling together parts of jokes randomly.

Ken: "We've got to separate that [infected] kid from the rest of the shoppers."
Ruth: "You know, the first time I worked Black Friday, they separated
shoppers by race."
Chris: "Oh, great time for that story, Ruth!"

Like... did they originally have Ruth say something else? Was the biggest problem with confused honkey grandma saying something racist really that this was not the best moment for that remark? Slap on a bunch of very fresh jokes about PC culture run amock ("Management decided Black Friday was racist, so we have to call it Green Friday now") and you've covered about 80% of the film's humour. Honestly, the only jokes that work are from Bruce Campbell, because they're actual jokes. They're not comedy gold either, but at least they made me smile.

The acting is all over the place. Half the time it feels like you're watching a movie some YouTube influencers with two acting lessons under their belts made, but occasionally there are scenes from the same actors that actually work.

The overall effect is just bad, but not in a fun or interesting way. Instead the whole thing feels like a direct to Prime Video knockoff of an actually decent horror comedy, where the filmmakers didn't know how to make a good comedy or a good horror movie, and didn't understand what made the original work, so instead everyone just did the minimum and went home.

The best part: Man, Bruce Campbell and it isn't even close. Unlike everyone else in the movie, he manages to nail the balance between horror and comedy pretty well, and does a good job of being the sad and lonely toy store manager, who kinda turns into an elderly version of Ash from Evil Dead when poo poo really hits the road. I'm not saying he makes the movie worth watching, but I will say that 9/10 when I got entertainment out of the film, it was due to Bruce.

Rating: :ghost: / 5

My May 2023 Movies:
1: Black Friday!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

gey muckle mowser posted:

Challenges are up! Added them to the second post of the thread.

drat, good challenges!

E: does anyone have any suggestions for Drawn and Quartered? I was initially thinking one of the Hellboy animated movies, but I'm not sure if those even qualify as horror. Plex sure seems to think so but I'm not sure Plex is the ultimate authority on the subject.

If anyone is looking for a good Challenge of the Dead pick, I found this on STAC Goat's Boxd list, and it's on YouTube officially:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbxGF2PbrPE

I don't know if it's actually good but people say it's a low budget cheese fest with a surprising amount of heart and some truly bad comedy so it sounds like it's right up my alley.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 2, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Movie #2: Hood of the Living Dead (2005) 9. Challenge of the Dead

"How the gently caress you explain a dead motherfucker walkin' around biting people?"

After a young man is gunned down by thugs in a drive-by, his scientist brother uses an experimental cell regrowth formula on him in a last ditch effort to save his life, accidentally turning him into a zombie. This of course means the hood is full of zombies five minutes later. Our hero and his white colleague try to contain the infection before the cops throw their asses in jail.

Hood of the Living Dead is a movie with a vibe, and that vibe is "a handful of friends had a video camera, a budget of 10 bucks and a love for zombie movies". The movie is as low rent as it gets, and is objectively not a good movie in so many ways, but I always have time for a movie with a lot of heart and Hood of the Living Dead is definitely that.

It's obvious everyone involved in the project cared a ton, and did the best they could with their limited resources. I was surprised by how earnest the movie is. There's not a hint of irony to be found anywhere, and it's charming. A genuine appreciation for zombie movies shines through, but not in an annoying "heh look at us make REFERENCES" kinda way. It honestly feels like a bunch of guys just wanted to do their tribute to Romero's Living Dead series and they kinda pulled it off.

Yeah, the effect budget is "extra large bottle of fake(?) blood", most of the actors seem to be someone's friends, and because the crew had extremely limited access to locations, most of the movie takes place in the director's living room, a park, or someone's car, but man, I had a good time! I have seen a lot of movies with orders of magnitude more money and resources that didn't come close to this level.

The best part: The movie's soundtrack is wild. You have a mix of what sounds like music library MIDI tracks and some gas station dollar bin level rap. I got mental whiplash when a dramatic, tense scene suddenly broke into a rap song that starts "Man I love that snatch, feelin' on her tits".

:ghost::ghost::ghost: / 5

The movie is on YouTube, on the production company's own channel, for free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbxGF2PbrPE

My May 2023 Movies:
1. Black Friday!, 2. Hood of the Living Dead (Challenge of the Dead)

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 2, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Movie #3: Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron (2007) 6. Drawn and Quartered

"Lady, I was going to cut you some slack because you're a major mythological figure - but that? That's crazy talk!"

Cards on the table: I loving LOVE Hellboy. I own very few physical books anymore, but I have bought all the Hellboy albums. I backed the board game. Hell, I even saw all the live action movies in theaters, even the godawful third one.

My love for Hellboy comes from two things. First, Mike Mignola's art is gorgeous. He has a very unique style, where he is able to use fairly simple shapes, very limited palettes and extreme contrasts to create incredibly evocative pictures that make your brain kind of fill in the blanks.

Now, from this perspective, Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron is a huge disappointment. I wasn't really expecting a movie that looked like a living Mignola picture, but I still wasn't expecting something that looks like the Saturday morning cartoon version of someone's webcomic. Whereas Mignola's art drips with style, this is aggressively bland and soulless, often downright ugly with a mixture of traditional animation and computer effects.

The other reason I absolutely love Hellboy is the writing, which draws in influences from folklore and legends to tell stories that feel rooted in real mythology, but with his own twists. Mignola has created a world of supernatural horrors that is often scary, but even more often sad and melancholy. I can still pinpoint precisely the moment I became a life-long Hellboy fan: this page in the first Hellboy album I ever bought.

So how about that front? Are we doing better? For the most part, yes. The screenplay was written by some guy, but it's based strongly on Mignola's writing so even though it might not always feel quite like the real thing, at worst it feels like good fan fiction. And there are scenes and moments that have that real Mignola feel, like legions of skull-faced ghosts doomed to mutely haunt a mansion until their killer is brought down.

Blood and Iron was a pretty OK movie, but I can't help but feel a bit bummed out by it, because god damnit, Hellboy deserves better. OK, so they have the live action movies' cast members and they do a good job, but the movie looks like crap for the most part, and the soundtrack feels like someone lifted it off a generic music library. It just has that slightly off feel where you can tell that nobody composed the piece for this specific scene, so even though the mood and tone might be close to what's happening on screen, it's just generic background music that doesn't in any way match up to the scene's pacing and beats.

This all being said, Blood and Iron passes the pizza test: it might not be the best Hellboy I've ever experienced, but it's still pretty good -- and a god drat mile better than that third movie.

The best part: Even though most of the movie has this washed out and crappy look, there are a couple of scenes where inexplicably they do try to mimic Mignola's use of angular shapes, bold, flat colours and incredible contrasts. Not surprisingly, those scenes are by and far the coolest looking in the whole movie.

Man, why couldn't the whole movie look like this?

:ghost::ghost::ghost: / 5

My May 2023 Movies:
1. Black Friday!, 2. Hood of the Living Dead (Challenge of the Dead), 3. Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron (Drawn and Quartered)

Challenges completed: 2

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm kinda tempted to watch Suburban Sasquatch as my Tales from the Cryptids film but I'm not sure watching it alone and sober is the correct environment for this poo poo

Would it even count considering I've seen the Red Letter Media episode on it? I haven't seen the movie, but I've seen clips of the movie and kind of have a pretty good idea of what to expect.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Wait, the Skinamarink is a real movie? I thought it was some kind of Twitch meme.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Movie #4: Psycho (1960) 5. Shooting Zombies

“WELL, A BOY'S BEST FRIEND IS HIS MOTHER”

OK, I had never seen Psycho. Much like everyone in the world, I have seen parts of Psycho referenced and parodied to death, and know the broad strokes of what happens, so I never saw much point in watching the movie. Well I am very glad I did, because holy loving poo poo that was excellent.

At this point it's going to be impossible to try to roleplay a 1960 movie watcher and pretend that I am approaching Psycho from the cultural context it was released in, so I'm not even going to bother and instead will just talk about the movie as I saw it in 2023.

First of all, the movie looks amazing. I watched a 4K Blu-ray version (with the most unnecessary DTS:X certification in the history of cinema) and it's gorgeous. The movie uses contrast and shadow incredibly well. Together with the soundtrack it creates this amazing feeling of foreboding and dread.

There were so many scenes that just look so absolutely amazing, including my favourite shot of the movie. As Arbogast is leaving the Bates motel following his interrogation of Bates, there's a shot where Bates' face is almost entirely covered in shadows, but the light briefly JUST catches his eyes and it looks so loving awesome.

I also want to especially highlight Marion's dinner date with Norman, because it's one of the most effective scenes I've seen. At the start of the scene, we're thinking that Norman is just this harmless, lonely guy. Then slowly, bit by bit, the edifice starts crumbling and Norman starts to feel weird, then menacing, then downright dangerous. It's acted and shot so god drat well.

I could pick out a thousand little things I absolutely loved, like how for the first half of the movie we see every scene from Marion's perspective, until he arrives at the Bates motel and meets this weird guy, and then we see a scene from his perspective, which kind of subconsciously sends us a message that maybe Norman is also a main character. Maybe him and Marion can band together and he can rise up to oppose his clearly oppressive mother and nope, she just got the poo poo murdered out of her. I can't even imagine how incredible the experience would have been in 1960 without knowing the twists ahead of time.

But even now, in 2023, Psycho loving owns. Just about the only thing I didn't super care for is the final scene, where the doped up psychiatrist spends several minutes spelling out everything that happened in the movie. I get that in 1960 maybe the audience might have needed some help, but right now it just felt clunky and I would've liked it more if the movie ended with the basement scene.

The Best Part: Like I said, I could gush about so many of the scenes in the movie, so I'll just highlight a very small touch that felt incredibly modern and also embodies many things I loved about the movie. After Marion's murder, when Norman is cleaning the crime scene and packing Marion's things in her car's trunk, at the last moment he notices the newspaper Marion had hidden her stolen money in, and without bothering to look inside, without giving it even a second thought, he just grabs it and dumps it in the trunk. The thing the whole movie's plot seemed to revolve around, the central thing, just discarded like garbage.

:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost: / 5

My May 2023 Movies:
1. Black Friday!, 2. Hood of the Living Dead, 3. Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron, 4. Psycho

Challenges completed:
Challenge of the Dead (Hood of the Living Dead)
Drawn and Quartered (Hellboy Animated)
Shooting Zombies (Psycho)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Basebf555 posted:

So that rug pull is even more ridiculous if you can imagine it in that context. The extent he was willing to go to set the audiences expectations so that he could then blow them away.

Yeah, I can definitely see how that would have blown some minds. I kinda suspected something like that was going on, but it's been ages since I last saw any other Hitchcock movies, so I wasn't terribly sure of it.

I also like how even after that he does a SECOND rugpull and makes it seem like Norman Bates is this awkward weirdo stuck trying to clean up for his insane mother, and maybe he'll eventually rise up to challenge her, possibly after she murdered a woman he seemed to have a connection with? But nope, he's loving nuts. From that perspective I can also see the necessity for the last scene wrap up, because maybe audiences in 1960 weren't quite as aware of these things as we might be now (and I am 100% not saying our general cultural understanding or handling of mental disorders is very good, nor that Psycho handled the issues with any special deftness).

Heck yeah, this is the kind of post I was hoping for when I thought of that challenge. And now I want to rewatch Pyscho.

Conversely I also meant to say the opposite, that this is why I love these challenges. They force me to seek out movies I normally might not, and I've discovered some real gems that way. So thank you for putting in the effort of coming up with them!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I haven't seen it and I don't want to do too much googling because I don't want to spoiler it, but would Mandy count for Horror High? I somehow have the impression that it heavily deals with drugs. And if not, I am open for recommendations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

mostly I just want everyone to watch Mandy, haha.

That works for me, I guess I'm setting sail for the sunny shores of Cage.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I didn't know Bernie Sanders was in Hellraiser Inferno

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Movie #5: Mandy (2018) 1. Horror High

"So whatcha hunting?" "Jesus freaks."

As I was watching Mandy, I kept wondering what the movie reminded me of stylistically, and for the longest time I couldn't figure it out. The movie has a very specific aesthetic. There's a ton of noise in the picture, the colours are often washed out or oversaturated, there's light bleed, some shots are either slightly out of focus or focused in a weird way. Some cuts are abrubt and awkward, the lighting is strange (even before getting into the scenes that are lit pure red, purple or blue), and the pacing feels off, like some coked up maniac hammered out this fever dream of a script during one weekend-long binge, and refused to let anyone edit it in any way.

And then, at about an hour and 10 minutes it hit me: Mandy is like a forgotten early 80s Cannon Group movie that was made in, and only released in, Italy, or more accurately the Vinegar Syndrome Blu-ray re-release of it. On the surface this doesn't seem like a particularly fresh idea, but the thing about Mandy is that it's not ironic in any way. It plays everything completely straight. This is not a "ha ha remember those lame 80s cheese fests, well here's an intentionally bad ironic one of those" movie, this is like someone REALLY wanting to make one of those weird 80s cult classics, right down to one guy inexplicably having a tiger around -- because someone involved in making the movie had a tiger, and they took advantage of the opportunity. And they loving nail it.

It's also one of the most Nicholas Cage movies I've ever seen. Like, obviously Cage himself is loving GOING FOR IT as the world's angriest lumberjack who sets out to avenge his paperback loving girlfriend's death by murdering a bunch of Jesus freaks and some bikers who once took some VERY bad LSD and never came down from the trip, but so is everyone else. Again, much in the style of those weird 80s movies, it feels like everyone understood "characterization" to mean coming up with a weird quirk for their character, and then leaning the gently caress into it. I can see why it might put people off, but I am all for Nicholas Cage growl shouting about someone ruining his favourite shirt.

Mandy took a while to get going, and for the first 50 minutes I was just kinda watching in a semi-detached "hmm yes, this is definitely going for a vibe" kinda way, but once the movie got going, it was just balls to the wall insanity for an hour. I mean how the hell am I not going to love a movie where Nicholas Cage has a chainsaw duel with a guy who's like the avatar of 80s eurotrash dirtbags?

:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost: / 5

The Best Part: I have to give special props to the soundtrack. It initially reminded me of Vangelis' Blade Runner soundtrack, or maybe the Mass Effect 1 soundtrack, but as the movie went on the composer started mixing in harsher sounds and instruments. The end result is a brutal electronic soundtrack that feels gritty and raw, like the forgotten concept rock opera album of some weird 80s synth metal band.

Reasoning for the challenge claim: Well, aside from "gey muckle mowser said I could", and aside from Mandy feeling like someone wrote and directed it while high on all the cocaine, drugs also play an important role in the movie. The bad guys are --- acording to the film -- on a never ending bad trip.

My May 2023 Movies:
1. Black Friday!, 2. Hood of the Living Dead, 3. Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron, 4. Psycho (1960), 5. Mandy

Challenges Completed:
1. Horror High (Mandy)
5. Shooting Zombies (Psycho)
6. Drawn and Quartered (Hellboy Animated)
9. Challenge of the Dead (Hood of the Living Dead)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Movie #6: Knock at the Cabin (2023) 4. Fresh Hell

"He said they have the most important job in the history of the world!" "Jehovah's Witnesses?"

I'm gonna be honest -- I almost turned off the movie when "Written and Directed by M. Night Shyamalan" popped up during the credits. That urge only increased, when the movie opens up with the world's most precocious child, who is dropping hot takes on LGBTQ issues while talking with Dave Bautista. But I do love me some Bautista, so I kept watching. And while the result is definitely not the worst Shyamalan film I've seen, the film also had a lot of really frustrating problems.

Since the movie is still pretty new, I'll spoiler all the actual movie discussion here.

OK so the basic gist is that a family is taken hostage by four armed strangers at their summer cottage somewhere in Pennsylvania. The four explain that only the family can prevent the apocalypse, and they can only do this by willingly killing one of three of them. Failure to do so will lead to the complete and permanent end of humanity.

This is not a bad idea, and in the hands of a more competent filmmaker it could have been a cool story, but Knock at the Cabin kind of plays its cards too soon. After the family refuse for the first time and one of the captors (played by Rupert Grint) gets murdered as some kind of punishment, the captors turn on the television and show breaking news coverage of apocalyptic earthquakes wrecking the Pacific North West.

At this point any reasonable ambiguity is gone. It's no longer a question of if the captors are truly equally unwilling participants in some divine misery play to prevent the end of the world, or just four lunatics. But the movie doesn't realize this, and tries to keep muddying the waters. Ooh, maybe the four people are actually criminals! Ooh, maybe one of the captors was actually a homophobe who somehow induced shared delusional visions in three other people in an effort to bash a gay man he had a run in with a decade earlier. Ooh, maybe it was just the biggest coincidence in the history of coincidences that a third of the United States got blown up by tsunamis and earthquakes the moment these guys say "no" to the proposal. And not content with this, the film does the exact thing again: they say no, we see live news coverage of the apocalypse and the family go "hmm but hang on here, you guys are just delusional, you can walk away and nothing will happen, just you see".

The film also tries to very clumsily build sympathy with our participants. The movie features plenty of flashbacks to show how adorable and unique and nice the family's life until now was. We didn't need that. The situation is tragic and horrible enough on its own. Conversely, the captors, who are supposed to be complex and real characters, literally get one sentence of backstory, said into the camera. The movie obviously wanted to make us sympathize with them, but didn't give us a lot of reason to do so.

The most insulting thing, though, is that Shyamalan tries to tie the movie in with real world terrorist attacks by suggesting that maybe these captors are just like them. Get it, remember that horrible thing you saw on the news? Well this is exactly like that! Those terrorists also had shared delusions, and maybe these captors do too!

Like I said, with a more competent writer/director this could've been cool. It could have been a small and tight character piece with a cool horror scenario, but instead the end result is a very hamfisted and clumsy movie. Like with some other Shyamalan movies, the portrayal of the apocalyptic events also borders on comedy at times, and I seriously lost it when we saw live footage of airplanes cartoonishly plummeting to the ground one after another.

What about the non-plot parts? Well the movie looks good. There are lots of cool shots in the film and this might be Shyamalan's best looking movie to date.

The Best Part: Dave Bautista. None of the actors get a lot to work with, but he does a good job with what he got. Who would ever have guessed that Batista from the WWE would turn out to be a really good actor?

:ghost::ghost: / 5

My May 2023 Movies:
1. Black Friday!, 2. Hood of the Living Dead, 3. Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron, 4. Psycho (1960), 5. Mandy, 6. Knock at the Cabin

Challenges completed:
1. Horror High (Mandy)
4. Fresh Hell (Knock at the Cabin)

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 6, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

5. The Medium (2021)

Not gonna read the review yet because this is also on my watch list, but saw the score at least and glad to see it's not a turkey. Will report back!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Movie #7: Suburban Sasquatch (2004) 2. Tales From the Cryptids

"Rawwraraawwrararaw! Rawwraraawwrararaw! Rawwraraawwrararaw!"

gently caress it, I watched Suburban Sasquatch and I regret NOTHING. I had previously seen the Red Letter Media video on the movie years ago, but of course they only cover parts of it, and left out dozens of minutes of equally amazing stuff.

After my viewing, I was convinced Dave Wascavage had made the movie this bad on purpose, because it seemed impossible that he tried his best and this was the result, so I tracked down interviews of his. And yeah, they intended to have jokes and comedy in the movie, but the movie itself was not intended to be a joke.

He truly wanted to make a sasquatch movie that had stuff to say about man's relationship with nature, but he wanted to make it on a barebones budget ($550) because he doesn't want to go into debt to make his movies. He's aware of the film's reputation and says he gets to this day emails from people who watched it and had a great time, and he appreciates that it's special and cool that his insanely awful movie has that kind of legacy and effect on people.

That sealed the deal for me: I love Suburban Sasquatch. The movie is just incredible. The acting, the sasquatch costume with huge tiddies and a massive swinging dick (which disappears after a while, because apparently it made walking in the costume too difficult), the literal MS Paint special effects, the one "Rawrwaaraawrawraw!" sasquatch sound effect they have and loop repeatedly, the plot that makes absolutely no loving sense and has nothing coming close to a rational point, it just never ends. I watched the movie alone and perfectly sober, and I still laughed so much I cried.

If you are one of the people who love movies that are so bad they're good, you can't do much better than Suburban Sasquatch.

If you're not

:ghost: / 5

Now I'm gonna go watch the Red Letter Media episode again because now I can probably appreciate it more.

The Best Part: The scene where Suburban Sasquatch kills the two fishermen by digging out one guy's guts and feeding them to him, ripping off his arm and then throwing it at the other guy so hard he floats unconscious in a river for several hours.

No but seriously, unlike many cheap and awful horror movies, Suburban Sasquatch isn't hateful. There aren't slurs, there's no awful racist comedy. It's genuinely a movie you could show to almost anyone and they could have a good time.

My May 2023 Movies:
1. Black Friday!, 2. Hood of the Living Dead, 3. Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron, 4. Psycho (1960), 5. Mandy, 6. Knock at the Cabin, 7. Suburban Sasquatch

Challenges Completed:
1. Horror High (Mandy)
2. Tales from the Cryptids (Suburban Sasquatch)

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 7, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh my god the RLM video has behind the scenes interviews, where the costume designer says she "always wanted to work on a Dave Wascavage film". Is this all just a big performance bit? I need to track down a DVD copy to watch this BTS material :psyduck:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Movie #8: Bay of Blood (1971) 11. It's-a-Me!

"Inheriting isn't always so easy."

Mario Bava's movies are not terribly familiar to me in that I haven't seen a single one ever, so I had plenty to pick from for the challenge. I opted for Bay of Blood, because people said it basically invented the "horny teens get slaughtered at a summer camp" genre. With that in mind I was more than a little surprised when the movie opens with Italian Walt Disney murdering a wheelchair-bound lady with an elaborate hanging machine, and then getting stabbed to death with a pocket knife.

And sure enough, the movie isn't ultimately a literal "horny teens at a summer camp" movie, even though there are horny teens. Stylistically I can definitely see the throughline, though. After the wheelchair-bound lady gets murdered, a bunch of relatives eager for her inheritance, as well as our horny teens, descend on her summer house / mansion, and start getting murdered one by one in incredibly bloody ways. The bodycount rises quickly, and the focus is clearly on making the kills very gory.

There are also very literal connections, or at least they feel like it, because some of the kills from the movie felt extremely similar to a some in the first couple of Friday the 13th movies down to the shots themselves (for instance a couple having sex on a bed are speared into it), so either the F13 guys were paying homage to A Bay of Blood or ripping it off. Either way, it was cool to see a movie that did ultimately play an apparent role in developing the genre.

The big difference is that A Bay of Blood is intensely Italian. There's mystical fortune tellers, countless sleazy middle-aged guys in turtlenecks, slow pacing, a soundtrack featuring lounge music and sweeping piano pieces, and acting performances that are closer to The Bold and the Beautiful than Friday the 13th. And I guess that's what it comes down to. There certainly was a lot of blood and a bunch of kills, but I don't want internal family politics and real estate deals from my horror movies, and while I'm certainly not against murderous illegitimate sons, I would prefer for said sons to be wearing hockey masks or be mutants.

The Best Part: Like I said, the kills are plentiful and incredibly bloody and brutal compared to the stuff I've seen in the few giallo movies I've watched previously. My favourite would probably have to be the fortune teller getting her head chopped clean off with a small hatchet, in a kill that would have been perfectly at home in a horror comedy.

:ghost::ghost:.5 / 5

My May 2023 Movies:
1. Black Friday!, 2. Hood of the Living Dead, 3. Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron, 4. Psycho (1960), 5. Mandy, 6. Knock at the Cabin, 7. Suburban Sasquatch, 8. Bay of Blood

Challenges Completed:
1. Horror High (Mandy)
11. It's-a-Me! (Bay of Blood)

History Lesson (Complete): Psycho (1960), Bay of Blood (1971), Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron (2007), Mandy (2018), Knock at the Cabin (2023)
Geography Lesson: (2/5): North America (Psycho), Europe (Bay of Blood)

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 8, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Movie #9: Saloum (2021) 3. Holy Terror

"Revenge is like a river"

Saloum is an extremely cool and unique blend of gangster stories, action and horror. Following a military coup, three mercenaries flee for Dakar escorting a Mexican drug lord. Their plane is forced to land in the Saloum delta of Senegal. One of the three is familiar with the place and suggests they seek shelter at a nearby encampment, where they can get food and the resources needed to fix their plane... and spooky consequences.

African folklore and religion are definitely a topic that isn't tackled very often in horror movies, so it's very nice to see, especially when the movie is largely -- or maybe entirely -- made by people from the continent. The film is written and directed a Congolese and Senegalese and stars people who are either entirely, or part African. If it was a bunch of European or American people making a movie dealing heavily with issues like child soldiers and West-African religion, the result might feel ... I don't know, touristy? Exploitative? I'm not sure what the word I'm looking for here is, but when it's a bunch of people actually from the region making the movie, the result feels natural and authentic. Again, I'm kind of grasping to put into words a vague feeling in my head.

Beyond this, Saloum is a very well made movie. The plot moves along at a break neck speed, but doesn't feel like it takes any shortcuts. Sure, as someone who isn't terribly familiar with Senegalese folk religion, some of the finer concepts and terms flew over my head, but the effect was crystal clear. When they show that one of the mercenaries is a shaman, we don't need to know any finer details to assume he has certain kinds of powers. And equally the finer points of Senegalese spirits and folkore aren't needed to understand that something happened here to release a bunch of evil spirits that were being held back previously, and now everyone's going to die horribly. And this kind of ties back to my previous point. This isn't a movie where some guy randomly picked Senegalese folk religion to make a movie out of and therefore wants to painstakingly explain to my cracker rear end what these wacky and exotic concepts mean, this is a movie by people who know these things just as if someone in the west made a movie about Satan.

The acting is also really good across the board. Yann Gael is fantastic as the leader of the mercenaries, and Evelyne Ily Juhen does aw real good job as a deaf and mute woman who communicates only through sign and body language -- which our mercenaries also happen to be fluent in, and therefore significant portions of the movie take place entirely in sign language.

In fact just about the only thing that I wasn't crazy about are the visual effects, and more specifically the spirits themselves. I really wish they'd given them the Jaws treatment and only shown us glimpses of them, instead of plastering them all over the movie for the second half, because they don't look amazing. But overall Saloum was an extremely pleasant surprise. I wanted to watch an African horror movie for the Geography Lesson meta challenge, and this was easily available (Americans can watch it on Shudder), so it won by default, and I'm glad it did. Definitely worth watching!

The Best Part: I want to shout out the cinematography, which is very inventive and gives the movie a ton of style. We've got very long range top down drone shots showing off the Saloum delta, the action scenes are shot in a very kinetic style, and a bunch of shots that are just very beautiful.

My May 2023 Movies:
1. Black Friday!, 2. Hood of the Living Dead, 3. Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron, 4. Psycho (1960), 5. Mandy, 6. Knock at the Cabin, 7. Suburban Sasquatch, 8. Bay of Blood, 9. Saloum

Challenges Completed:
1. Horror High (Mandy)
3. Holy Terror (Saloum)

History Lesson (Complete): Psycho (1960), Bay of Blood (1971), Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron (2007), Mandy (2018), Knock at the Cabin (2023)
Geography Lesson: (3/5): North America (Psycho), Europe (Bay of Blood), Africa (Saloum)

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 9, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Xiahou Dun posted:

O hey we used the same random image for Saloum.

Hah, small world!

Also seconding what you said: the soundtrack is excellent and brings a ton of atmosphere, especially to the sweeping high altitude drone shots. And definitely keeping an eye on the director's future movies.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Xiahou Dun posted:

I really want to see them do more of an action-dark comedy thing at some point. Like if instead of evil spirits it went all Three Kings.

Yeah! That would've been extremely cool, and the guy definitely has the chops for it. The movie already has a snappy and kinetic style which would've worked well in that kind of film.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Movie #10: Braindead aka Dead Alive (1992) 8. Second Chance

"That's my mother you're pissing on!"

I saw Braindead on a dodgy VHS tape when it was new, and I was still quite young. I've always been sensitive to blood and violence, but back as a kid I was hyper-sensitive. You can guess how well Braindead went down with me. I remember liking the comedy and the general goofiness of the film, but having nightmares of the bloody parts for a few weeks. But now I'm old and desensitized!

Braindead is basically a zombie movie, even though the monsters aren't literally zombies, "they're just... sort of rotting" and really angry, after getting bitten by a Sumatran Rat-Monkey. Since the infection can be traced back to our main character's mother, he spends a considerable amount of the movie trying to unsuccesfully contain the infection to comic effect.

I'm glad I went back to the movie, because I bloody loved Braindead. The film has this very charming naivety and goofiness about it, which is underlined by Jackson's cinematography. There's a whole bunch of shots that would be at home in an Evil Dead movie. In fact the whole film kind of came across like it could have been a cheaply made children's TV special or a very old silent movie era romantic comedy (albeit not silent) with the very simple and dramatic soundtrack, the aforementioned strange shots and the acting performances which are very amateurish and exaggerated. None of this is bad, it just gives the movie a very unique tone which I adored. And then the hyper-violence started.

And yeah, watching it even now, I can definitely see why the violence freaked me the gently caress out as a young kid. In the style of the rest of the film, the violence is extremely cartoonish albeit also intensely graphic and loving gross. The sound effects are incredibly squishly and loud, which just makes it all the more brutal. I genuinely felt a bit nauseous early on in the film when a big fat man is eating custard mixed with bloody pus accompanied by loud smacking and squelching. I was trying to eat ice cream at the time too. God damnit, Peter Jackson. Heads get torn off, faces ripped apart, and that's before we even get to zombies being mulched with a lawnmower, or all the truly memorable stuff! Braindead may be the bloodiest and most brutal movie I have ever seen, while also being loving hilarious. Some real next level slapstick stuff. It's remarkable that Peter Jackson got this done with a comparatively limited budget.

In my books Braindead goes right up there next to Evil Dead 2 and Shaun of the Dead as one of the best horror comedies of all time. It's silly, it's bloody, it's absolutely disgusting and it's hilarious from start to finish.

The Best Part: The humour. So many of the jokes flew over my head as a kid, but now I lost my poo poo several times. My favourite? A zombie punk is menacing a dweeb at a party, and the dweeb yells "OK, I take it back! I'm sorry I called Nabokov a paedophile!"

My May 2023 Movies:
1. Black Friday!, 2. Hood of the Living Dead, 3. Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron, 4. Psycho (1960), 5. Mandy, 6. Knock at the Cabin, 7. Suburban Sasquatch, 8. Bay of Blood, 9. Saloum, 10. Braindead

Challenges Completed:
1. Horror High (Mandy)
3. Holy Terror (Saloum)
8. Second Chance (Braindead)

Geography Lesson: (4/5): North America (Psycho), Europe (Bay of Blood), Africa (Saloum), Australia/New Zealand (Braindead)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Basebf555 posted:

Yea that scene makes me physically ill. The most recent few times I've rewatched the movie I pretty much just look completely away from the screen until it's over.

The later scene where he's trying to feed the zombies, and the weird mush keeps oozing out of the nurse's partially decapitated neck, until he just gives up, flips the head back and dumps it down her neck hole was another one where I started getting physically nauseous.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Berzerker posted:

6. The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988)

This was another movie that loving TRAUMATIZED me as a kid. The scene where the guy gets buried alive still lives in my head rent free to this day.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

twernt posted:

18. Tales from the Hood - 1995
Directed by Rusty Cundieff
🎃 Woke in Fright 🎃

That's on my list as well for the same challenge.

Does anyone have good other suggestions? I've seen Elm Street 2 and The People Under the Stairs (which I HEARTILY recommend), but not a ton of other films that might qualify.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Movie #11: M3GAN (2022) 10. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things

"M3GAN, you killed people!" "Oh big whoop."

Well this was absolutely fantastic! Going in, I knew absolutely nothing about the movie. Well, next to nothing. I knew there was an evil doll of some kind, but that's it. Turns out there is an evil doll, but not in the "Chuckie" kind of sense. This is more like a four foot tall Terminator in a fun outfit.

It's a story as old as time: maverick toy designer makes a revolutionary learning AI robot toy for her sad niece to help her get over the death of her parents, robot toy becomes sentient, starts murdering the poo poo out of everyone who poses a threat to the niece, and then just everyone in general.

What surprised me about the movie was the amount of humour. I wouldn't call M3GAN a full blown horror comedy, but there's definitely comedy to be found here. I defy anyone to watch the movie and NOT lose their poo poo when the horrible bully gets turned into a red smear on the asphalt by a passing car. This is good, because the movie wasn't really scary. Some spooky visuals occasionally, sure, and of course on an intellectual level the idea of a super smart robot that turns against its creators is scary, but as a horror movie M3GAN wasn't very impressive.

That doesn't really put a dampener on things, though, because the movie is extremely entertaining. I was immediately on board when the movie opens with a toy commercial for a Furby clone that's just the right amount off the rails. It isn't screaming HEY LOOK HOW WACKY AND NUTTY WE ARE HAHAHA AREN'T WE SILLY, but is still dropping phrases and details that make your brain kinda skip a beat. And that really is the whole movie. It's a lot of fun while being just the right amount of self aware.

One thing I also enjoyed a lot is how the progress of technology has made something like M3GAN more feasible in a way that previously would have been either magic, or so high tech it might as well have been magic. Of COURSE M3GAN can turn off the lights when she needs to, we have wi-fi enabled lights now. OF COURSE she can just hijack a car when she needs to. OF COURSE she can listen in on phone calls, impersonate the movie's verson of Alexa etc. Obviously a sentient toy doll is still sci-fi, but it's neat that this bizarre technological hellscape we've created for ourselves makes this kind of stuff immediately understandable and at least movie realistic to everyone.

Yeah, I had no expectations for M3GAN but I walked away super impressed. The movie starts off fast and never really lets off. Just about the only thing I would have liked is a higher rating than PG-13, because even though I'm not like the thread's biggest gorehound or anything, the movie could have used more carnage. But on the other hand the rating has allowed a bunch of young people to (legally) see the movie, and that's also cool. And on the other more different hand, the limitation forced them to get creative, and I would argue that some of the results are more fun and entertaining than someone exploding in a bag of gore, so I guess I'll just deal with it.

The Best Part: I was going to highlight my favourite kill from the movie, but I already got to it above so instead I'll give props to the acting. The main cast all do really good jobs, and I was especially impressed by Violet McGraw as the traumatized young Cady. Her performance was really good by any metric, and for a child actor she was outright remarkable.

Amie Donald is also really good as the physical M3GAN to the point where I would have bet cash money on her being CGI. Her movements are just perfectly in that uncanny valley where she comes across as human occasionally, but then does something that just hits your nerves. Perfect.

My May 2023 Movies:
1. Black Friday!, 2. Hood of the Living Dead, 3. Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron, 4. Psycho (1960), 5. Mandy, 6. Knock at the Cabin, 7. Suburban Sasquatch, 8. Bay of Blood, 9. Saloum, 10. Braindead, 11. M3GAN

Challenges Completed:
1. Horror High (Mandy)
3. Holy Terror (Saloum)
10. Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things (M3GAN)

Geography Lesson: (4/5): North America (Psycho), Europe (Bay of Blood), Africa (Saloum), Australia/New Zealand (Braindead)

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 14, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Movie #12: Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum (2018)

"Enter and you will die."

So there's a haunted mental asylum in South Korea. But wait, it gets worse. It was built to house not only the mentally ill, but also political dissidents and brutal criminals. But wait, it gets worse. The hospital was built on a site where the Imperial Japanese Army committed some atrocities back in the 40s. But wait, it gets worse. In 1979 the hospital was closed down after a mass suicide by the inmates, and the sudden disappearance of the asylum's director. And now a group of Korean horror influencers are about to do a night-long live stream from it. The consequences? You can bet your rear end they're spooky.

Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum isn't exactly a found footage film, but more like ... the making of a found footage film? The gimmick is that a group of Korean ghost investigators are live streaming their investigation of the place, so everything we see other than an in-movie YouTube clip of two pimply-faced Korean teens disappearing in the hospital earlier, is live and first person. The crew are packing all kinds of high tech gear, from body mounted reaction cameras to multiple camcorders, pre-positioned corner cameras etc.

This is a fun gimmick, and the movie plays well with it in many small (and big) ways. Like there will be a scene, where you suddenly realize that you're seeing all the characters on the screen at once. So who exactly is shooting the scene? There are also frequent technical problems with some video artifacting and corruption, signal dropouts etc, at significant times. It's cool.

The movie also has a really effective tension curve. Things start only moderately tense, as our group are following a pre-written script, only for things to start going wrong in subtle, then moderately spooky, then very spooky, then fully terrifying ways. I watched the film in a room that wasn't pitch black, with my two kittens playing nearby, and even then I could feel my pulse going up and found myself tensing in several spots.

It helps that the cast do a really good job, and once things start going all the way bad, it feels like they are all really terrified. Very impressive stuff.

IF you're on the market for a very good and pretty classic haunted house movie, albeit one with a fun gimmick, Gonjiam is a fantastic place to start.

The Best Part: The movie's ending is the cherry on top. Nobody confronts and banishes anything, or triumphs over the haunted hospital. Instead everyone loving dies, one by one, in horrifying ways.

My May 2023 Movies:
1. Black Friday!, 2. Hood of the Living Dead, 3. Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron, 4. Psycho (1960), 5. Mandy, 6. Knock at the Cabin, 7. Suburban Sasquatch, 8. Bay of Blood, 9. Saloum, 10. Braindead, 11. M3GAN, 12. Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum

Challenges Completed:
1. Horror High (Mandy)
3. Holy Terror (Saloum)

Geography Lesson: (Complete): North America (Psycho), Europe (Bay of Blood), Africa (Saloum), Australia/New Zealand (Braindead), Asia (Gonjiam)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Movie #13: Tales from the Hood (1995) 7. Woke in Fright

“Don't worry! You'll get the poo poo! You'll be KNEE-DEEP in poo poo!”

As we all know, often in horror movies the actual literal horrors we see are metaphors or stand ins for real life problems, groups or people. Well, Tales from the Hood kind of reverses that. Yes, there are zombies and monsters, but they're not the real horror. How could they be, for instance, in a story where three racist cops beat up and murder a black city councilman who got in their way, and would have gotten away with it scot free if not for the unlikely fact that the city councilman came back as a zombie to kill them? This isn't so much a metaphor for anything as a condemnation of a very broken system, where the victims of systemic racism have to resort to vengeance from beyond the grave to get any kind of justice.

And it doesn't end there. We have child / spousal abuse, a racist-rear end Republican candidate (whose family made their fortune off the skins and deaths of slaves) trying to ride the vilification of black people into office etc. In all these stories the system has failed and keeps failing, and people have to resort to supernatural means to defeat the problem. In this the stories feel like a continuation of golems etc, the supernatural constructs and devices that pop up in the folklore of oppressed people who couldn't see natural ways escaping their tormentors or getting revenge on them. It's brutal. It's extremely uncomfortable, but it's also important.

The subject matter is awful, but the movie itself is very enjoyable. It has a good mixture of horror and comedy. The actors do a good job, and especially Clarence Williams III is excellent as the eccentric mortuary operator, Mr. Simms, whose stories of the strange dead people in his mortuary act as our framing device. The soundtrack is also a lot of fun, and I very much enjoyed the strained and slightly discordant violins that occasionally pop up, because sound like they were lifted directly from the beginning of Camille Saint-Saëns' Danse Macabre.

Just about the only real complaint I have is that the movie could have used a bit more running time. A couple of the stories felt a bit rushed and could have used more time to breathe, specifically the first and third ones.

As an aside, holy poo poo, I knew the name of the writer/director/actor, Rusty Cundieff, sounded familiar, but I had to go to IMDB to realize he was Ice Cold in Fear of a Black Hat and also wrote and directed it. And Mark Christopher Lawrence from the same movie also pops up here!

The Best Part: Or actually, the worst part. The movie is drat near 30 years old, and the racist Republican, or three white cops murdering an inconvenient black man and escaping justice could literally be from today's headlines. Having Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit" playing in the background of the beatdown was a brutal reminder that in 1995 they were probably saying the exact same thing about the 50s, when they were saying the same thing about the 20s, when they were... you get it. gently caress, man.

My May 2023 Movies:
1. Black Friday!, 2. Hood of the Living Dead, 3. Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron, 4. Psycho (1960), 5. Mandy, 6. Knock at the Cabin, 7. Suburban Sasquatch, 8. Bay of Blood, 9. Saloum, 10. Braindead, 11. M3GAN, 12. Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum, 13. Tales from the Hood

Challenges Completed (11/11):
1. Horror High (Mandy)
3. Holy Terror (Saloum)
7. Woke in Fright (Tales from the Hood)

Geography Lesson: (Complete): North America (Psycho), Europe (Bay of Blood), Africa (Saloum), Australia/New Zealand (Braindead), Asia (Gonjiam)

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 16, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

STAC Goat posted:

To be clear Rusty made Fear of a Black Hat too. Didn’t just star in it.

Yeah that's a good clarification, he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Man I really fell off the challenge in the second half of the month, because a bunch of work poo poo came up. But at least I did get everything done: 13 movies watched, and all challenges completed.

Challenges Completed (11/11):
1. Horror High (Mandy)
3. Holy Terror (Saloum)
7. Woke in Fright (Tales from the Hood)

Additionally I watched Black Friday! and Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum.

Breakdown:
:ghost: 1 movie
:ghost::ghost: 2 movies
:ghost::ghost::ghost: 2 movies
:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost: 5 movies
:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost: 3 movies

All movies were first watches for me, except for Braindead, which I had seen back in the 90s. As always, the challenges were great. It's always nice to be forced out of your comfort zone. I definitely wouldn't have thought to watch Psycho or Saloum on my own, and both ended up being movies I really enjoyed. If I had to pick one favourite, it would probably be Braindead, because it was just so incredibly hosed up and hilarious.

Thanks for organizing once again, gey muckle mowser. This is always something I look forward to, and it's always been a very fun time. So, looking forward to October!