Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Never done one of these before (and have no doubt I'll gently caress this one up) but lately I've just been sorting my library by Horror and Year and randomly picking something I haven't seen yet, maybe this will motivate me to keep at it. Probably going to be a bunch of old classics that everybody is already familiar with but they'll be new to me dang it!

Pretty sure it was after midnight when I finished the 2nd half of Boxer's Omen last night, does that count :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Idle Hands (1999)

-- Sorry about your bush.

A stoner teen horror/comedy that starts off with heavy Scream vibes before transitioning into full on Evil Dead sillyness. Took me a long time to get to this one as it has one of the least horror-y posters I can think of. A demon possessed hand and they made it his right instead of his left?? SMDH

It's dumb as hell, but they lean into it so much it wraps around to being pretty good, 3/5 spooks or whatever.

Also features The Offspring as a high school dance band and one of the most obvious Female Lead Shirt Rips since Natalie Portman in Episode II :pervert:

:siren: Paging Kvlt! to the thread :siren:

https://i.imgur.com/2gVLBkb.mp4

~*Progress Tracker*~
1. Idle Hands

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Perfect opportunity to watch a whole bunch of Universal Monsters classics

Also a big part of my list. I watched The Invisible Man a while ago, but still have the other big ones on deck. They also tend to be on the short side so good for an emergency afternoon watch if you're getting behind schedule.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

After I put off watching it for so long, I'm evangelical about people watching The Invisible Man (1933) which might be a perfect movie.

:hfive:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

It's explicitly stated that only Devon Sawa's right hand was possessed because the left one wasn't idle. It's his wanking hand.

drat that's true :( I still would have flipped it to explain why his right hand was still ok, but props to the writers covering bases like that.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maniac Cop (1988)
-- Make it bigger than AIDS.

Friday the 13th in NYC but it's a beefcake zombie cop taking revenge on the corrupt bureaucrats who got him sent to prison. Or, anyone he happens to come across, doesn't seem to matter that much.

Featuring:
- Fun dual protagonists in Tom Atkins and Bruce Campbell.
- A 3rd act car chase that could best be described as "excessive"
- An entire set of scenes (the mayor's office) that were filmed on a toaster
- A pretty good looking practical stunt with a dude ramping off a truck into the ocean:
vvv Timestamp'd vvv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bNGmlQ__74&t=4784s

~*Progress Tracker*~
01. Idle Hands :spooky:Horror High, History Lesson 90s:spooky:
02. Maniac Cop :spooky:History Lesson 80s:spooky:

If Idle Hands doesn't work for Horror High I will watch Evil Bong do not test me you have been warned.

discoukulele posted:

Alright y'all, just did my first challenge movie.

A Wounded Fawn (2022 - Shudder)

Stage Fright owl sure gets around...

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 3, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

As long as you don't need it to be horror, there's nothing wrong with Harry and the Hendersons.

Mostly I just wanted to recommend Harry and the Hendersons ITYOL 2023.

First thing I thought of as well re: bigfoot movies, but yeah not horror.

The Berzerker posted:

1. The Monster Squad (1987)

The only other thing I remember about watching this back in the day, besides nards, is that the quiz they give the new kid to jump him into the crew included a question about how the monster wasn't named Frankenstein, that was the doctor's name. I knew that as a kid and was right :smug: about it.

e:
Also throwing out Cocaine Bear for the Horror High challenge :tbear::cocaine:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 2, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Skinamarink (2023)
-- Oops! Aaallllllllll establishing shots!
Alternately: My bro, have you read House of Leaves?

Didn't care for this one at all. I guess if it was actually happening to you it would be pretty creepy, but watching it on screen was a challenge of endurance rather than bravery. What if Paranormal Activity but actually nothing happened? What if that girl from The Blair Witch self portrait scene shot a whole movie on her 1st gen Nokia phone camera?

Even when something slightly scary does happen you're so pissed at the waste of the previous hour of your life that it's hard to care. Dude should have stuck to making 10 minute Youtube shorts because there is not a single thing that can possibly justify this 100 minute runtime :gonk:

~*Progress Tracker*~
01. Idle Hands :spooky:Horror High, History Lesson 90s:spooky:
02. Maniac Cop :spooky:History Lesson 80s:spooky:
03. Skinamarink :spooky:History Lesson 20s, Fresh Hell (released in North America in January):spooky:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Wait, the Skinamarink is a real movie? I thought it was some kind of Twitch meme.

It is, depending on how loosely you're willing to define 'movie'. The things that 'happen' in it are more suggested than actually shown on screen.

To be as fair as possible it is described as experimental and based on the creator's childhood dreams. And it cost 15k to make and they cleared 2M in theaters so good on them for that. Just very much not my bag man.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't know if I saw posts about it earlier, but if anyone is looking for a Drawn & Quartered contender The Spine of Night is a Heavy Metal-esque rotoscope thing about an evil/cursed power traveling around corrupting people. More Fantasy than Horror but there's enough blood'n'guts that I reckon it qualifies.'s

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

mostly I just want everyone to watch Mandy, haha. But also the biker gang makes like super LSD or something like that, the plot doesn't totally revolve around it but it's significant enough to count for the challenge

Also apparently alcohol to Nick Cage is like spinach to Popeye.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I didn't know Bernie Sanders was in Hellraiser Inferno

I am once again asking you to solve the puzzle box.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ginger Snaps (2001)
-- I'm way out on the corner of hosed Up and Evil!

A franchise that was completely under my radar until page 2001 of this thread when everyone was like 'yeah obviously it's GS for this page, what other possible choice is there? You'd have to be some sort of horror beta loser to not know about it already.
Me catching up with the thread:

Characters start out as tryhard :emo: edgelords, but are teenagers in horror movies ever not terrible?

Attacked in the woods by a giant monster, covered in blood and lacerations. "No don't call 911 I'm ok." :effort:

Reading about the history of werewolves by the light of a skull candle :sbahj: this is some early 2000s Hot Topic worship.

Fairly large dose of characters making bonehead decisions at the end of a horror movie, but no worse than other genre examples. A decent little monster flick with some moderate goop. If you want a werewolf movie that's framed as a metaphor for female puberty this is probably your best bet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XqWBvzhzdk

~*Progress Tracker*~
01. Idle Hands :spooky:Horror High, History Lesson 1990s:spooky:
02. Maniac Cop :spooky:History Lesson 1980s:spooky:
03. Skinamarink :spooky:History Lesson 2020s, Fresh Hell (released in North America in January):spooky:
04. Ginger Snaps :spooky:History Lesson 2000s:spooky:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

Versions of Faust (or stories heavily inspired by it) have been a basic part of horror media (and the Western canon as a whole) forever, but I don't believe I've ever actually seen a straight film adaptation before.

Some dude on IMDB made a list of the top 10 horror movies for every year since the dawn of cinema and I've been browsing through a decade or so every night. One thing I noticed was that for the first 20 years or so people just kept remaking the same 5 stories over and over. Dozens of Faust/Mephistopheles variants, Dorian Grey was really popular for some reason, and people were really into Svengali for a few years there.

Faust in 1897:

e:

STAC Goat posted:

after Columbine and the studio got real gun shy

Oof size: Large.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think I'm gonna give either The Ring or Ringu another day in court for the rewatch part of the challenge. Does anyone have a good argument for watching one over the other? ("good argument" here read as "reason besides personal preference")

My good argument for watching the remake is that I agree with everything gmm said :getin:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crescent Wrench posted:

The tape in Ringu is cryptic, eerie, and has subtle clues about its origins. The tape in The Ring has generic spooky images that are about as scary as a flaming skull gif on a Geocities page.

The Ring tape is all references too :confused: Just thinking back there's images of a ladder/chair, stuff with horses and the ocean, a few clips of her mother and of course the titular ring. I will back you up that Noah is largely a blank slate as a character and the kid is all but a direct HJO 6th Sense reference (though they both have much less screentime than Naomi). I must not mind the color filter because the look/atmosphere of the remake is what I remember much more than any of the cast. Driving around foggy old New England-y places is always creepy to me. Stuff like the lighthouse shining in through the farmhouse or the red tree on the hill really sticks with me.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
FYI anyone looking for a Drawn and Quartered contender, When the Wind Blows is on Youtube again
code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xAIqDMW8dE
It's Cold War badfeels but well done and has a pretty bitchin' 80s soundtrack and is scored by Roger Waters.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 9, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Night Eats the World (2018)
-- Now you are just like me.

I can't see someone namecheck multiple Gilliverse properties and not check out what they're selling, and in this case I definitely see where the comparisons come from. Hell yeah, playing out the zombie apocalypse like a survival horror roguelike :getin:

1. Manage your resources
2. Organize your inventory
3. Expand your territory

Was pretty surprised when they didn't go full dark and have him kill the only other survivor he meets and then lol get unreliable narrator'd son :unsmigghh:

Actually more zombie action than I was expecting, something like this could have worked with almost no on-screen threats, but this was fine too. A good slow burn zombie apocalypse flick.

⚞💀Progress Tracker💀⚟
01. Idle Hands 🎃History Lesson 1990s🎃 🎃Horror High🎃
02. Maniac Cop 🎃History Lesson 1980s🎃
03. Skinamarink 🎃History Lesson 2020s🎃 🎃Fresh Hell (released in North America in January)🎃
04. Ginger Snaps 🎃History Lesson 2000s🎃
05. The Night Eats the World 🎃History Lesson 2010s🎃

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Is As Above So Below well-regarded enough for Challenge 8: Second Chance? I see people list it all the time as one of the best found footage movies, and sometimes even as a good movie beyond the found footage format.

It's one of the better found/FPS footage entries I've seen. I think it gets a little goofy towards the end where their CGI reach exceeds their grasp/budget, but if you're into creepy claustrophobic stuff like The Descent it's definitely worth another shot iMO.

e:
Also glad to see all the Boxer's Omen love going on ITT

https://i.imgur.com/AeN8zaI_lq.mp4

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 10, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Terrifier (2016)
-- Good luck on your interview tomorrow.

A standard slasher with reasonable goop and gore, but stuffed so full of tropes it's hard to imagine anyone taking it seriously enough to be offended. If anything the infamous cleft in twain scene was a tamed down version of the actual medieval execution method. No way that lovely little hacksaw would have moved that fast :colbert:

Slasher ladies, when you get the drop on the killer and stab him once, that is not, in fact, your cue to get up and run away :doh:

Slasher ladies, when you discover a mutilated body and literally have a phone in your hand, you do not, in fact, have to use the flashlight function to explore dark scary passages. You can use the phone as a phone :eng101:

OK the whole thing being a flashback was a decent twist, points for that at least.

Recommended for being a decent slasher, but it's reputation as being anything shocking is well overblown IMO.

⚞💀Progress Tracker💀⚟
03. Skinamarink 🎃History Lesson 2020s🎃 🎃Fresh Hell (released in North America in January)🎃
06. Terrifier

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Alligator (1980)
-- You have a wonderful mind, a doctorate degree, and beautiful tits.

Jaws in the midwest. Fond memories of this one from seeing it on TV back in the day. Didn't have any recollection of the lab animal growth experiment stuff to explain the size, I thought it just got big. Not technically a good movie, but a quite serviceable critter feature with significant 80s kid nostalgia.

https://i.imgur.com/hxLzx1l.mp4

⚞💀Progress Tracker💀⚟
06. Terrifier
07. Alligator 🎃Tales from the Cryptids🎃

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VROOM VROOM posted:

Sissy (2022) would be a great candidate

First Candyman has a framing story of a university study of poverty in inner city / projects.

Evil Dead II (1987)
-- A Farewell to Arms

A sequel? A reboot? Both?? I've seen lots of various ED clips but never sat down and properly watched them. This takes the more or less serious tone of the first film and goes full Loony Tunes, which on paper sounds like a terrible idea but obviously it worked out for them. The sequel lead in would have been a hell of a twist in '87. But still the most fantastical thing is how easy that chainsaw starts up every time :stare:

ProTip: STOP READING THE LATIN

⚞💀Progress Tracker💀⚟
06. Terrifier
08. Evil Dead II

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Berzerker posted:

14. The Last Matinee (2020)

This is on my list too, but every time I see the poster my brain forces me to read it as The Last Manatee for a second and it keeps throwing me off :(

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Blood Quantum (2020)

-- *raises hand* Can we panic now?

Zombies VS Indians. Pretty standard postapocalyptic fare, but everything looks good and there's buckets of blood. Like, Japanese grindhouse blood geysers amounts :getin: Hey guys, maybe when you're screening new people for your zombie apocalypse survivor camp, maybe don't just take their word for it when they say they haven't been bit :downs: Also features the world's worst blowjob.

Woke in Fright justification: There's some mention of how the 'townies' don't like natives from the reservation, but we never really see this much. However the entire 2nd half of the movie is based on white peoples being abused by tribe members. Very Us vs Them with easy parallels to general immigration/refugee issues of the day.

⚞💀Progress Tracker💀⚟
06. Terrifier
08. Evil Dead II
09. Blood Quantum 🎃Woke in Fright🎃

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Blood and Black Lace (1964)

-- Mixup at the stage light factory... Oops! All gels!!

I mean, look at this poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfguxYMHCzU

A bunch of coked up fashion shop employees get picked off by Spirit Halloween Darkman in order to cover up a murder. Then to cover up that murder. Then to cover up THAT murder etc. A decent little thriller and textbook early giallo.

⚞💀Progress Tracker💀⚟
06. Terrifier
08. Evil Dead II
10. Blood and Black Lace 🎃It's-a Me!🎃

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crescent Wrench posted:

13. Mad God (2021) (first viewing)
(watched via AMC+/Shudder)

This is on my list, haven't seen it yet, but your summary makes it sound pretty similar to Junk Head. JH is an (almost) one-man stop motion film about a dystopian future explorer searching for the secret of reproduction in the undercities and getting his head/consciousness transferred into a series of increasingly junky robobodies. Might be a stretch to call it horror, but there are some fairly gross organic bits and there is a monster at the end so :shrug:

It's also on the 'tubes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyCCWHhH6R4

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Bat Whispers (1930)

-- I've seen you through Socialism, Fletcherism and rheumatism. But when it comes to Spookism I'm through!

Basically a stage play performed in front of a camera, albeit with more scene changes. And some pretty neat camera tricks for the time. The major environments get a camera fly-in on a miniature as establishing shots, and peep this "crane shot" in the opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhgEKm7-kOM&t=152s

This is borderline comedic, pretty much a farce with an endless stream of wacky characters clown-car'ing into this one lady's house to bumble around in the dark looking for stolen cash. The ending is a literal Scooby Doo meme, followed by a 4th wall smashing appeal to the audience to not spoil the ending for others. Dark and light are constant themes throughout, with the use of silhouettes approaching shadow puppetry in some scenes.

Audio is a bit rougher. I guess this was before people realized they needed to score films; almost the entire thing is people stomping around obviously hollow stage sets with only speaker-blasting fake thunder every few minutes to keep us company :negative:

The maid is straight up comic relief and I'm here for it.

⚞💀Progress Tracker💀⚟
06. Terrifier
08. Evil Dead II
10. Blood and Black Lace 🎃It's-a Me!🎃
11. 🦇The Bat Whispers🦇

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

10. Child’s Play (1988)

Can’t wait to see how this little fucker becomes a queer ally

It's truly bizarre that out of all the 80s slasher franchises, loving Child's Play is the most consistent and current one running :stare:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I don't suppose any one has recommendations for movies that qualify for Woke in Fright or Challenge of the Dead that were made in Central/South America, Middle East/Africa. Australia/Oceania, or Southeast Asia?

One Cut of the Dead is Japanese zombies, should cover both * of the Dead and SE Asia challenges.

e:
Motel Hell: A Modest Proposal (1980)

-- Oh man this red's too heavy. We better find a place to crash. *crashes*

Broke: Dueling banjos
Woke: Dueling chainsaws

Country siblings run a rural hotel with a smoked meats business on the side. The meats are the best in the land but they contain a hOrRiBlE sEcReT ingredient that you'll just never guess... Mostly a pretty slow build up as we follow a girl who's just been adopted into the family. A reverse zombie attack at the end and the aforementioned chainsaw duel are fun. Still not sure what was up with the whole 'planting' thing, unless that was just the easiest way to secretly store them until they were ready to :fag: Pretty light on the goop for a movie about an abattoir, but the gurgling noises were actually disgusting.

⚞💀Progress Tracker💀⚟
01. 👐Idle Hands👐 🎃History Lesson 1990s🎃 🎃Horror High🎃
02. 🚓Maniac Cop🚓 🎃History Lesson 1980s🎃
03. 📼Skinamarink📺 🎃History Lesson 2020s🎃 🎃Fresh Hell (released in North America in January)🎃
04. 🐺Ginger Snaps🐺 🎃History Lesson 2000s🎃
05. 🌃The Night Eats the World🌃 🎃History Lesson 2010s🎃
06. 🤡Terrifier🤡
07. 🐊Alligator🐊 🎃Tales from the Cryptids🎃
08. 😈Evil Dead II☠
09. 🩸Blood Quantum🩸 🎃Woke in Fright🎃
10. 🩸Blood and Black Lace🩸 🎃It's-a Me!🎃
11. 🦇The Bat Whispers🦇
12. 🐷Motel Hell🔥

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cemetery Man (1994)

-- 🎶Never should have gone out on the Boy Scout Picnic🎶

Fake Italian Hot Toipc afficionados vamp around a Stephen King's Pet Sematary (but for people). If Evil Dead II was a Giallo it would be this movie. I can also safely say this contains the most intense dick amputation / injection procedure I've ever seen :stare:

And a final wrap up for the month's viewing:

⚞💀Progress Tracker💀⚟
01. 👐Idle Hands👐 🎃History Lesson 1990s🎃 🎃Horror High🎃
02. 🚓Maniac Cop🚓 🎃History Lesson 1980s🎃
03. 📼Skinamarink📺 🎃History Lesson 2020s🎃 🎃Fresh Hell (released in North America in January)🎃
04. 🐺Ginger Snaps🐺 🎃History Lesson 2000s🎃
05. 🌃The Night Eats the World🌃 🎃History Lesson 2010s🎃
06. 🤡Terrifier🤡
07. 🐊Alligator🐊 🎃Tales from the Cryptids🎃
08. 😈Evil Dead II☠
09. 🩸Blood Quantum🩸 🎃Woke in Fright🎃
10. 🩸Blood and Black Lace🩸 🎃It's-a Me!🎃
11. 🦇The Bat Whispers🦇
12. 🐷Motel Hell🔥
13. :rip:Cemetery Man:rip: