Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
heck yeah gonna do my usual 13 new-to-mes. Got a few classics I've been saving that I hope'll fit into the challenge

e: gonna go ahead and list some of my unseens here for my own notes and so everyone can see my shame
Psycho
The Exorcist
The Blair Witch Project
Paranormal Activity (any)
really anything before, say, 1964
The Silence of the Lambs
Rosemary's Baby
Carrie
Re-Animator

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
yeah I almost started listing Universal/Hammer movies until I realized it was all of them

Xiahou Dun posted:

Peter Cushing as Van Helsing with an absolute insane amount of boobs

This sounds like an interesting take on the character, definitely gotta check it out then

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I haven't seen it and I don't want to do too much googling because I don't want to spoiler it, but would Mandy count for Horror High? I somehow have the impression that it heavily deals with drugs. And if not, I am open for recommendations.

idk about Mandy but there's Evil Dead (2013), Resolution, Beyond the Black Rainbow, and A Spoonful of Sugar

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That's on my list as well for the same challenge.

Does anyone have good other suggestions? I've seen Elm Street 2 and The People Under the Stairs (which I HEARTILY recommend), but not a ton of other films that might qualify.

Sissy (2022) would be a great candidate

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Jedit posted:

12) Spoonful of Sugar (2022)

Challenge: Horror High

I already wasted 90 minutes watching it, I'm not going to waste 90 seconds talking about it.

I can fix her

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Crescent Wrench posted:

17. Triangle (2009) (first viewing)

I would be curious to rewatch it sometime going in with foreknowledge of what's happening to see how it holds up logistically as well as thematically. OK, into spoilers. What we have here is a good old-fashioned time loop...But I'll probably come back to this one sometime just to watch it through a more informed lens.

Feel free to give it a rewatch before reading this to see if you can piece it together, but Triangle is one of my GOATs because (massive ending+rewatch spoilers) "time loop" is just what it wants you to think until the end, where it turns out that Jess and her kid are loving dead. The beginning of the movie at the house actually happened, as did the car sequence+crash at the end, and they died. The part where Jess abuses her kid also happened, but the movie hides this from you until the end because it wants her to be a sympathetic character on a first watch. But in death Jess refuses to accept responsibility for her actions and let go, so she keeps trying to cheat Death to get her son back. Hence the story of Sisyphus. The cab driver at the end is literally Charon.

When she says "that wasn't Mommy" in the car, that's not because the version of her that hit her kid was an evil clone or anything, it's because she refuses to accept that that WAS her and this is all her fault. So back into the loop she goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Post challenges day 1 and no earlier imo
And yeah especially for October it'd be nice to have a bunch of challenges that are rewatch-eligible

I watched 13 movies to fit all this year's challenges but didn't actually write anything, but I did get to continue my tradition of ranting to someone about Triangle so I'm satisfied. Let me at least throw some ratings down tho:

The Stuff (1985): 7.5/10
"I don't think you're quite as dumb as you appear to be."
"No one is as dumb as I appear to be."

Evil Dead Rise (2023): 8/10
"Destroy it! It's called the Book of the Dead for a reason!"

Nocebo (2022): 8.5/10
"Anyway, didn't you say it's all bullshit?"
"What I said was, it's all in the mind."
"What isn't in the mind?"

Child's Play (1988): 8/10
"Well John, it's been fun, but I gotta go. I have a date with a 6-year-old boy."

The Outwaters (2023): 8.5/10 (yeah I said it)
"Feel over there. It feels like there's currents running under it. It feels kind of good."

Under the Shadow (2016): 7.5/10
"There's so much more to you than meets the eye, there's so much more to you than meets the eye, there's so much more to you than meets the eye, there's so much more to you than meets the eye..."

Clearcut: 8.5/10
"Indians give me the creeps. It's like they know something we don't."

Deep Red (1975): 7.5/10 (shame about the animal cruelty)
"A maniac, who else? It's always a maniac, and they never catch them!"

Perfect Blue (1997): 9/10
"It was so boring! Why do all psycho-thrillers made in Japan turn out that way?"

The Last Broadcast (1998): 7/10
"We did a webcast, simulcast, cast cast cable cast that really was pretty poor if you ask me."

The Exorcist (1973): 9/10
"In the meantime, try not to worry."
"How?"

Dawn of the Dead (1978): 9.5/10
"They got one big advantage over us. They don't think."

The Queen of Black Magic (1981) rewatch: :wtc:/10 (seriously, that ending)