Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Roth posted:

The main thing imo that makes i lt hard to discuss indie movies, at least new ones that I imagine people would be jumping to talk about, is that a lot of then get very limited releases for a while.

Like a bunch of film critics out out top 10 lists last year and a lot of it was movies that just weren't widely available to people.

These are exactly the sort of thing I'd love to see threads for even if they don't get a ton of posts. I generally come at these movies late and it frequently turns out that the only discussion for them happened in, like, GenChat. It would be great if smaller films got a thread when they released that could start seeing life again once they hit streaming, make critics' lists, get awards nominations, etc.

feedmyleg posted:

To me, the biggest problem of moving franchise-based threads like Star Wars and Alien from CineD into GBS is that GBS is a cesspool of jerks that I don't like talking to who put in almost exclusively low-effort posts. I like the cadence, thoughtfulness, and perspectives of CineD posters and I enjoy talking about long-tail franchises with this community even if the discussion often goes film-adjacent. Nowhere else on the forums is there a similar balance of depth and lightness in discussion that makes those threads both engaging and fun.

There's something to the idea that CineD is a culture rather than a topic. The Star Wars thread discusses the shows, but tends to do so from the perspective of the movies. Whereas the equivalent TVIV thread assumes a lot more familiarity with the cartoons.

Maybe the solution is to merge CineD and TVIV into a single forum as the distinction between film and television slowly collapses. That way there can just be one Star Wars thread that brings more people together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

feedmyleg posted:

Have you actually read any Sci-Fi Wifi threads? Most are just a bunch of low-effort jokes and surface-level chatter. A totally different vibe than the CineD threads.

I haven't, actually. Apologies. I just assumed it was roughly similar. So, I retract the idea.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Maybe the solution is to merge CineD and TVIV into a single forum as the distinction between film and television slowly collapses. That way there can just be one Star Wars thread that brings more people together.

They are not compatible cultures. This forum is much more "normie" in the sense that a lot of us watch a couple of movies a week, if that. (don't get me wrong: how we choose to discuss it is definitely not "normie"!)

This is going to sound ungenerous but I'm just going to say it because it's true in my experience: Much like video games, tv iv is populated by a shitload of unemployed (or massively under-employed) weirdos with nothing going for them outside of their media consumption and their parasocial relationships on the internet. Those kind of people post a lot but say very little outside of the zeitgeist; they simply aren't interesting and I've got no desire to wade through their verbal slew to find the CineD nuggets.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 2, 2023

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sir Kodiak posted:

These are exactly the sort of thing I'd love to see threads for even if they don't get a ton of posts. I generally come at these movies late and it frequently turns out that the only discussion for them happened in, like, GenChat. It would be great if smaller films got a thread when they released that could start seeing life again once they hit streaming, make critics' lists, get awards nominations, etc.

There's something to the idea that CineD is a culture rather than a topic. The Star Wars thread discusses the shows, but tends to do so from the perspective of the movies. Whereas the equivalent TVIV thread assumes a lot more familiarity with the cartoons.

Frankly the posting culture of TVIV is so different and imo uninteresting this would turn me off from bothering to read or participate.

I agree with the common sentiment that megathreads allow mini communities to spring up, and also are good for discussing older movies or related films that aren’t widely seen or a big part of the zeitgeist so they don’t drive tons of engagement. I do wish there were more film specific or subject specific threads but I’m not sure nuking the megathreads will achieve that.

I did not realize that lots of people apparently only view their already bookmarked threads, which as a habit seems like a bigger obstacle to me than the existence of somewhat overlapping threads

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yea there's an attitude 'round the forums that a thread isn't worth it if it doesn't get a lot of posts but for my money's worth even if an individual movie thread gets a single page of posts it can still be worthwhile.

Especially since it can invite discussion from folks outside of a megathread. Like for example horror isn't really my jam so I never look at that megathread, but if there's a thread for a specific horror movie I might take a look at it. I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard!

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
Maybe it would make sense to keep everything but the most egregious megathreads but mandate that they be closed every three months or so, with a new one on the same topic taking its place? That would make the megathreads themselves more approachable for people who haven't been posting in them forever, and I think it would go some way towards correcting the situation where it's huge threads with thousands of posts on one side and microthreads of a couple pages on the other. And that by itself might encourage people to start more threads on different topics.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Black Lighter posted:

Maybe it would make sense to keep everything but the most egregious megathreads but mandate that they be closed every three months or so, with a new one on the same topic taking its place? That would make the megathreads themselves more approachable for people who haven't been posting in them forever, and I think it would go some way towards correcting the situation where it's huge threads with thousands of posts on one side and microthreads of a couple pages on the other. And that by itself might encourage people to start more threads on different topics.

Cleaning house every year makes sense, I dunno about every 3 months, but if that did occur I'd appreciate it if links to the new thread were posted as the last post and the old thread is in the OP of the new first post.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Jerkface posted:

Cleaning house every year makes sense, I dunno about every 3 months, but if that did occur I'd appreciate it if links to the new thread were posted as the last post and the old thread is in the OP of the new first post.

Yeah, like, in TFF the divisional threads are mostly closed after every full season/offseason and it works well enough. I think three months makes sense for movies because then you've got threads for spring, summer, fall and winter movie seasons, but just some kind of cap in general is something I think would be helpful.

E: Plus, doing it every few months adds a degree of self-determination to it. If there isn't enough interest in a topic for someone to start a new thread after a couple months, that could just be a topic that doesn't need a thread at that particular moment and it can just go dormant until interest spikes again.

Black Lighter fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 2, 2023

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Pillowpants posted:

I think this is a terrible idea. The CBM thread is where I go for general news about the comic book world that isnt just a rumor on some website. Likewise, I go to the horror and action movie threads genre specific recommendations.

I love the what’s streaming and the green lit megathreads too - but I prefer if they were just general news thread about what was coming out soon on streaming - there’s so many garbage websites that try to do this and I trust goonworld the most.

I used to prefer individual threads when I was younger but as a lot of us got older and had kids we have to limit our time and megathreads help with that.

Please don’t make me go to GBS.

If you need help or anything I’d be willing to help.

I agree with this post. I like the Megathreads, even when I hate them. And what, we have a shortage on threads or something? If a thread is active, I think there's a reason to keep it around. People are getting use and value out of it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
So after seeing the feedback here and in some of the megathreads I've posted about the potential of closing megathreads, I think it's pretty obvious a good chunk of CD regulars want the megathreads to stay.

That's fair! Apparently a bad call by me that I'll own up to.

That said I do still want to push for theatrical releases and maybe some bigger streaming releases getting their own threads. I also like the idea suggested a couple times of repurposing film dump, but I'm on the fence with that. Even with the megathreads and (too many) stickied threads, individual film threads survive the front page pretty easily, or at least the small number of them currently getting made.

So perhaps a better idea will be me just being more mindful to push megathreads into making individual threads when movies come out. Like I see Sir Kodiak has already made a gotg3 thread so pushing the CBM thread to post gotg crap there is better than closing the CBM thread altogether. It's what I do in the horror thread already anyway.

My thinking with closing megathreads was basically this:
1. The insular culture of megathreads and the size/age of a megathread can be off-putting to new posters/lurkers

2. Living in your bookmarks is an issue that gets exacerbated by megathreads. If you read the CBM from your bookmarks you may miss that a GotG3 even exists, which means that thread dies before it gets off the ground, which just makes it look like CD doesn't talk about movies all that much.

Srice posted:

Yea there's an attitude 'round the forums that a thread isn't worth it if it doesn't get a lot of posts but for my money's worth even if an individual movie thread gets a single page of posts it can still be worthwhile.

Especially since it can invite discussion from folks outside of a megathread. Like for example horror isn't really my jam so I never look at that megathread, but if there's a thread for a specific horror movie I might take a look at it. I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard!

mutantIke posted:

I feel like independent film is also pretty under-represented from what I've seen (even more-so if it's not coming from A24)

I definitely want to encourage people to post more that usually don't and getting more indie focused threads going would be great and something I hope to figure out how to encourage more.

banned from Starbucks posted:

As for MotM I like the concept but half the time it's something so obscure that even if it looks interesting it's nowhere to be found on any streaming site so I just end up forgetting about it. I don't really know how to fix that really.

That's something I've thought about when fielding motm volunteers. I'd hate to make a rule about choosing "accessible" movies but I also get that not everyone has a bunch of streaming services or uses other means to get access. Which makes it tricky. I've debated setting up a stream that plays motm selections but that can be clunky/inconsistent, and I don't really like discord as a platform for that. Not too mention I don't really have a ton of extra time to manage a stream.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 2, 2023

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Would it make sense if maybe megathreads allowed non-spoiler discussion of current releases and in the thread-specific ones you could post without spoiler tags? Or nah?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Guess it's not too shocking that people who post in CineD as it is now don't want it to change.

Pirate Jet posted:

Would it make sense if maybe megathreads allowed non-spoiler discussion of current releases and in the thread-specific ones you could post without spoiler tags? Or nah?

In my experience, lots of people show up in the movie-specific threads hoping to get an idea of reactions. Particularly people who don't normally post in CineD. So I'd be hesitant to make movie-specific threads automatically have open spoilers from the start.

For my own part, I'll try to make a point to post that I've made a movie-specific thread when it's relevant to a particular megathread. Would it makes sense to also have a stickied thread that's just used for promoting that there's a new movie-specific thread, sorta like they have in D&D? That way, people who live in their bookmarks can bookmark that and get notified when there's a new thread.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

when is the horror thread getting closed

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ruddiger posted:

Today hopefully

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

Never.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

feedmyleg posted:

Have you actually read any Sci-Fi Wifi threads? Most are just a bunch of low-effort jokes and surface-level chatter. A totally different vibe than the CineD threads.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Worth noting that on the back-end the film dump is, so far as I've read, basically unfixable and immovable and not something that can be removed or improved.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Roth posted:

Today hopefully

How could u do this to me

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Close the bad threads and keep the good ones imho

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

MacheteZombie posted:

How could u do this to me

I'm the shadow mod

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Also, it feels important to call out that most people browse through their bookmarks. It's very rare for me to open up the actual subforum and notice that a new thread has been posted about it unless someone mentions it in GenChat, and I know most people are similar.

What? Speak for yourself, this is crazy-person behavior to me.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Timby posted:

What? Speak for yourself, this is crazy-person behavior to me.
I think almost everyone just uses bookmarks

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mystes posted:

I don't know how anyone would know but i informally polled the handful of posters i know irl and none of them do this. i'm bemused to find it's common at all

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

mystes posted:

Every couple months I will go through a bunch of forums looking for new threads or bookmarking threads of for shows I want to watch but it’s rare that something new catches my attention.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Pillowpants posted:

Every couple months I will go through a bunch of forums looking for new threads or bookmarking threads of for shows I want to watch but it’s rare that something new catches my attention.

Yeah. I have a bunch of megathreads for stuff I enjoy bookmarked. If I start playing a new game/watching a new show/etc, I will go find the thread, bookmark it and move on. Every so often I'll go browse a subforum and see if there are any threads that interest me, but that's fairly rare.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I just go to each sub forum in a specific order :shobon: ive never used a bookmark

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerkface posted:

I just go to each sub forum in a specific order :shobon: ive never used a bookmark

Same. Navigating by bookmark sounds utterly mad to me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I use bookmarks and poke around the forums for threads. I'm on this site too much lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm late to this because I use the bookmarks. I only learned this thread existed by seeing a strange post in one of the threads I bookmark, following that poster's history to try and see if it was part of something, and following it here. That's generally how I discover things on SA outside my bookmarks these days. I was trying to be more involved in CineD this year and peruse its threads more often but its been a difficult year and I just have tried to withdraw from SA and online instead. And to that end my bookmarks list got much smaller.

For my two cents, and the matter seems resolved now, I think mega threads are kind of a necessarily thing within reason. They're the more natural source for conversation and news and sharing of information or in the case of this forum recommendations. Yes they also become unwieldy cliques of in jokes and years long drama but some in house moderation and the occasional thread reboot to invite new blood can minimize that. I think practically those kinds of topics like Comic Book Movies or horror or Star Wars probably have too much activity and interest to just be included in a more general chat thread where they'd either drown everything out or get lost and abandoned... and probably are too wide to be replaced by individual movie threads since no one's gonna bother to start a new thread for every old movie they're checking out. They're more likely to just not post unless there's a convenient place for them to comment.

Individual movie threads obviously make sense but they're kind of a strange thing in the sense that... well, I never take part in them simply because I never go to the theater. So I watch most movies on at best a 3 month delay and usually longer. And then maybe I'll seek out an individual thread if its still active but by then I figure most of the conversation has been had and anything I say has been said. So its a bit of a rough go. Even people who do go to the theaters probably only go to what... 2 movies a week max? And I'm sure there are dedicated cinephiles here who seek out all the newest stuff and rent stuff and everthing else. But its still a limited audience for individual movie threads compared to like... sports or tv that just air for everyone at roughly the same time. I think that's the primary difference between "film goons" and those other ones. Films are something you can come to 40 years late or the night it opens. TV and sports are much more in the now and more community driven.

I don't know what could be done differently. I'm probably not an active enough CineD poster to say. The Snyderdoom is... odd. The idea of a thread devoted to auteur with a sizable filmography and passionate following is totally fine but it also comes with all that weird tribal warfare baggage. But like if there's a desire to create more threads and revise the subforum in a way that might spark more conversation maybe like an Auteur Dome would make sense? A place with multiple threads about Hitchcock or Kubrick or Scorsese where they wouldn't get lost in the movie threads but they're cater to fans of the directors as well as people discovering or diving into them for the first time? The hassle is keeping it a place where someone can say "I didn't like this" and not be ganged up on or painted with a brush of years of resentment. And that's a problem with a lot of these kind of franchise or "brand" fanbases and threads. But the only way over is through.

I don't know. Just my thoughts. Trying to be more of a member of the CineD community. Trying to help by being involved. Even if I have nothing worthwhile to say.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Definitely not a fan of closing megathreads, especially not franchise megathreads like Star Wars and Alien that don’t have new content to support fractured individualized threads for each specific movie. I think a solid compromise would be to encourage people to make a new unique thread if and when a new movie is coming, let it run it’s course, and then let discussion of that movie drift back to the megathread as things wind down. Permanently closing or fracturing the megathreads feels like an awful idea.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
not a fan of yearly forced reboots of megathreads. it makes it more annoying when im looking for an old post

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

I use bookmarks and poke around the forums for threads. I'm on this site too much lol

Yeah, 90% of the time I open up my bookmarks, look at my threads with unread posts, then close the app when I'm done. If I read everything and still feel like dicking around on the forums, I'll jump into CineD or TVIV or PYF or whatever and see if there's anything new or any threads I've read some of before but am not interested enough in bookmarking.

When Jeffrey posted an ideas thread for improving the forums, this seemed like fairly standard behavior for a large percentage of the forums.

This is why the idea of a "New Threads" thread seems like it could help expose the new threads to people who navigate this way, or act as an index of niche stuff that tends to get pushed off the front page quickly. Whenever someone has a new thread they make, they can post a link in that thread so that people who have bookmarked it get an alert that there's something new to check out.

It's a janky oldschool way of doing it, but that's kinda what these forums are all about :shrug:

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 3, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

mystes posted:

Throw another on the "I don't" pile.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So to people who don't use bookmarks, do you usually stay in the same subforum? Do you go to one subforum, see what threads have new posts, and then go to another subforum, repeat, and on and on? Going back a page or two sometimes if some threads fell back? Are you usually just looking for new threads?

Seems like madness when bookmarks organize things so easily for you in one place. Unless you're regularly looking for new threads.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 3, 2023

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

So to people who don't use bookmarks, do you usually stay in the same subforum? Do you go to one subforum, see what threads have new posts, and then go to another subforum, repeat, and on and on? Going back a page or two sometimes if some threads fell back? Are you usually just looking for new threads?

Seems like madness when bookmarks organize things so easily for you in one place. Unless you're regularly looking for new threads.

I only use bookmarks for places like Games where there are a million active threads going on. For a place like CineD that has far less traffic and far fewer threads I just manually look at the place. Makes it easy to notice new threads too.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

thrawn527 posted:

I look at what I've read and also new posts. The awful app makes it easy by putting all unread posts to the top, but when I browse on web I just look around. I can see the idea of bookmarks making it easy to stake out what threads you are reading, but I like the organic discovery possibility of checking forums and I have a very OCD like habit of checking forums in a specific order. I do the same thing for apps on my phone so its just personal habit.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

As the OP of the Snyderdome thread I’m fine with closing it to start a new thread, but would just like to state for the record why that thread was made and why I took that tone that apparently rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

It might be easy to forget now but prior to that thread, Snyder chat was spilling out throughout the forum, particular GenChat, on a near daily basis and constantly sparking arguments and feuding between the pro- and anti-Snyder crowds. I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say this was constant and it was getting to a breaking point. So while some people were upset by the characterization of the thread as a “Containment Zone” at the time it had become abundantly clear Snyder needed his own thread or the arguments would continue spreading to every other thread.

I apologize that I seem to have offended a lot of people with that OP, but in my defense this is Something Awful, a website very much known for sarcastic, snappy posting and people rallying around the banner of “we’re goons and we love that” so I am still a little surprised people were so upset by what I thought was just a snarky roast in line with this site’s general tone. I believe at some point a mod even edited out my original post anyway so it’s all just history at this point.

What I am glad about is that my prediction that the thread was going to continue being a thunderdome where the pro- and anti- crowds would keep bickering forever did not pan out and that it wound up being a generally positive place, from what I saw, for his fans to chat without the constant derails and hostility. In that sense, I think it’s relevant to this current discussion about Megathreads and why they can be a good and necessary thing. Those of us who don’t like Snyder’s movies simply didn’t bother going in there most of the time and those who do like them could actually enthuse about them and discuss and debate on their own terms. I’m in favor of a fresh start, new threads with less to get caught up on are great for bringing in new posters in general, but I wouldn’t get rid of it because clearly he sparks enough discourse to warrant his own topic.

If we wanted to make threads for James Cameron, Spielberg, etc I’m all for it. I’m not sure if they would be as big as that one, but I don’t see why more threads is a bad thing and if they don’t take off then it’s not the end of the world. But if they do, they can help keep the forum active and offer places for people to get really in the weeds about the movies and directors.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
FREE DICKEYE!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Friday the 13th sub forum when

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hollismason posted:

Friday the 13th sub forum when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Thanks for this post, but I'll also say, no need to apologize. I remember at the time being a bit salty about the idea of a snyderdome but I do think it ended up working out. I was the one to edit your OP originally, wish I had saved the original post tbh. I mostly wanted to get a new OP with someone who likes snyder enough to give it periodic updates and to reflect the more "appreciation station" vibes the thread took on.

I think some more director focused threads could be cool, even if they're shorter or slower moving.