Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Why is there both "thread for posting your first reactions after watching a movie" and "Rate the Latest Movie You've Seen"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The "thread for posting your first reactions after watching a movie" was from when BBV closed and was one of the threads I thought was active enough to move over to CD. "Rate the Latest Movie You've Seen" had just always been around and I didn't think much of having two at the time.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Implement a word-filter that replaces all instances of "James Cameron's Avatar" (and associated phrasing) with "Jane Campion's Bright Star".

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That would not be truthful or accurate!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jack Champion’s Spider

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Nightmare on Elm Street sub forum when

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Nightmare on Elm Street sub forum when

I'll pitch it for an rsf lol

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

MacheteZombie posted:

I'll pitch it for an rsf lol

Make it happen!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Would anyone like to volunteer for June movie of the month? Or a later month?

I'd like to get ahead on the motm queue for a change so I can get them included in the "around the forums" announcements.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Bumping for July motm volunteers. Any takers?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Bumping for July motm volunteers. Any takers?

I see you might have a few takers in the GenChat thread. I can do it if nobody else wants to (or another future month as I don't want to monopolize). I must be in a writing mood.

MacheteZombie posted:

Movie of the Month suggestions ideas? It’s one of my favorite features of CD but gets little love. Would be cool to re-energize it somehow.

Circa 2005 and 2006 there was a period where I (and a few others) ran polls to decide the MotM. Some liked it but some didn't as there was a tendency for voters to select the familiar favorites. I don't believe it had a big effect on engagement though.

I took a look at how many replies many past MotM threads received and it should be no surprise that Sci-Fi/Horror films are the bread-and-butter of CD discourse. This holds true at the very beginning and still right through today. 2001: A Space Odyssey and Zardoz were the two biggest MotM threads in the first few years. In the last couple of years the biggest threads have been The Black Hole, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Children of Men and Psycho Goreman. I haven't checked every single one but Galaxy Quest (with 251 replies) might be the top thread.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Zogo posted:

I see you might have a few takers in the GenChat thread. I can do it if nobody else wants to (or another future month as I don't want to monopolize). I must be in a writing mood.

Circa 2005 and 2006 there was a period where I (and a few others) ran polls to decide the MotM. Some liked it but some didn't as there was a tendency for voters to select the familiar favorites. I don't believe it had a big effect on engagement though.

I took a look at how many replies many past MotM threads received and it should be no surprise that Sci-Fi/Horror films are the bread-and-butter of CD discourse. This holds true at the very beginning and still right through today. 2001: A Space Odyssey and Zardoz were the two biggest MotM threads in the first few years. In the last couple of years the biggest threads have been The Black Hole, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Children of Men and Psycho Goreman. I haven't checked every single one but Galaxy Quest (with 251 replies) might be the top thread.

That's pretty to neat, cool of you to look into that! I suspected scifi or action flicks to be up there, nice to know horror is popular haha.

I'll keep you in mind for future MotMs if that's alright with you, I'll confirm with Gripweed about doing motm and see if SMG was serious. If they're out I'll reach out to you or CPL593H, my other reoccurring host.

The poll idea is interesting, Book Barn does the same thing so I'll look into how they do it and mull over bringing it into CD. More community involvement is always great.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

That's pretty to neat, cool of you to look into that! I suspected scifi or action flicks to be up there, nice to know horror is popular haha.

I'll keep you in mind for future MotMs if that's alright with you, I'll confirm with Gripweed about doing motm and see if SMG was serious. If they're out I'll reach out to you or CPL593H, my other reoccurring host.

The poll idea is interesting, Book Barn does the same thing so I'll look into how they do it and mull over bringing it into CD. More community involvement is always great.

Yeah, that's fine. I can fill in if you have trouble finding someone in the future.

With all the books turned into movies and vice versa it wouldn't be hard to coordinate a crossover event between the two subforums.

The top dozen MotM threads:

code:
Title				Replies
Galaxy Quest 			251
Blade				193
Mulholland Dr.			133
Barbershop			121
Falling Down			 94
Gremlins 2: The New Batch	 94
Jumanji				 89
2001: A Space Odyssey		 86
Videodrome			 86
Little Shop of Horrors		 74
Brave Little Toaster, The	 73
Zardoz				 71

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

MacheteZombie posted:

Movie of the Month suggestions ideas? It’s one of my favorite features of CD but gets little love. Would be cool to re-energize it somehow.

I realize the direction is contacting you, but it's generally unclear how to sign up for a month, as well as whether you need people to sign up, as I personally don't read the general chat thread.

Maybe also include with that information a repository of links to past MOTM threads, or of the ones going forward? I see that there is a letterboxd list of past submissions, but being able to easily read/post after the fact might help with engagement.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i just want to say keep up the good work and also close everything but the horror thread

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i just want to say keep up the good work and also close everything but the horror thread

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

KVeezy3 posted:

I realize the direction is contacting you, but it's generally unclear how to sign up for a month, as well as whether you need people to sign up, as I personally don't read the general chat thread.

Maybe also include with that information a repository of links to past MOTM threads, or of the ones going forward? I see that there is a letterboxd list of past submissions, but being able to easily read/post after the fact might help with engagement.

That's a great idea, I'm traveling right now but I'll add some detail around motm sign-ups to the OP in a few days

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah a go to sign up sheet with an updated list of movies would probably be a huge boon.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

we have started a weekly movie club in blockbuster video. come check it out. dont be too weird.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

we have started a weekly movie club in blockbuster video. come check it out. dont be too weird.

I've signed up for this, looking forward to watching some good poo poo.

MacheteZombie posted:

That's a great idea, I'm traveling right now but I'll add some detail around motm sign-ups to the OP in a few days

Sorry for the delay on this!

So i've cooked up a basic google form for signing up:
https://forms.gle/a48FPRQtpApAmzyP8

It includes a link to a google sheet with the previous motms and available months through 2029 lol. I'll populate that sheet with signups when I receive them.

(if someone has a better solution or wants to punch this up with flashy graphics or whatever hit me up!)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's that time where I ask for motm volunteers again.

Who's in?

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
I just submitted for August.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

If by chance Fran sees this any potential to get an update on the official Letterboxd list for MotM? Seems it hasn't been updated since early 2021.

https://letterboxd.com/franchescanado/list/cined-movie-of-the-month/page/2/

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

If by chance Fran sees this any potential to get an update on the official Letterboxd list for MotM? Seems it hasn't been updated since early 2021.

https://letterboxd.com/franchescanado/list/cined-movie-of-the-month/page/2/

I've been doing it

Link is in the op as well

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thread bump: Movie of the Month list has been updated and the sign up form is working great, we already have claims in for the rest of 2023 and a couple for the first part of 2024. Appreciate all the volunteers!

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Why was the Alien thread gassed? People were engaging in discussion and no rules were being broken.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It has a really bad habit of getting into the same circular arguments involving ferrinus, xenomrph, and smg. It becomes a slog to read.

When the next alien movie is nearing release I don't mind a new Alien thread being opened.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The thread has been pulled from the dumpster and out into scifiwifi

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Please reconsider. Scifiwifi is a super chill place and importing that kinda bullshit there seems like a bad idea.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I suggested it - if it stays toxic it can always get gently placed back in the trash can :shrug:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Hey for the Movie of the Month I'd like to throw one in the suggestion queue, The Long Good Friday, a dramatic gangster movie starring Bob Hoskins as an up-and-comer who's under attack from an unknown foe. It was made right at the beginning of the Thatcher 80s and Hoskins is a real jerkass but in a very compelling way. I just watched in on a lark and was really impressed by it. The only bad news is that it's on HBO Max and not Tubi or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hey for the Movie of the Month I'd like to throw one in the suggestion queue, The Long Good Friday, a dramatic gangster movie starring Bob Hoskins as an up-and-comer who's under attack from an unknown foe. It was made right at the beginning of the Thatcher 80s and Hoskins is a real jerkass but in a very compelling way. I just watched in on a lark and was really impressed by it. The only bad news is that it's on HBO Max and not Tubi or something.

Feel free to claim a month using this form:
https://forms.gle/a48FPRQtpApAmzyP8