Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I don't think this entire forum should be specific movie threads, a couple of mod-favored genre threads, and one big genchat. To be brutally honest: I don't think a lot of the posters in Genchat add a lot of value for me personally and I wouldn't post there. That's ok! Clearly the thread is active and people are getting a lot from it. It's just not for me.

The whole advantage of a forum is that you can have a discussion topic and organically grow or shrink it as needed and it's sort of self policing. If nobody is talking about it the thread dies, if it gets too big usually somebody will propose a subthread. I don't think this level of structure is needed (and in my case, wanted).

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

feedmyleg posted:

Have you actually read any Sci-Fi Wifi threads? Most are just a bunch of low-effort jokes and surface-level chatter. A totally different vibe than the CineD threads.

I haven't, actually. Apologies. I just assumed it was roughly similar. So, I retract the idea.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Maybe the solution is to merge CineD and TVIV into a single forum as the distinction between film and television slowly collapses. That way there can just be one Star Wars thread that brings more people together.

They are not compatible cultures. This forum is much more "normie" in the sense that a lot of us watch a couple of movies a week, if that. (don't get me wrong: how we choose to discuss it is definitely not "normie"!)

This is going to sound ungenerous but I'm just going to say it because it's true in my experience: Much like video games, tv iv is populated by a shitload of unemployed (or massively under-employed) weirdos with nothing going for them outside of their media consumption and their parasocial relationships on the internet. Those kind of people post a lot but say very little outside of the zeitgeist; they simply aren't interesting and I've got no desire to wade through their verbal slew to find the CineD nuggets.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 2, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

mystes posted:

I think almost everyone just uses bookmarks

Throw another on the "I don't" pile.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hey for the Movie of the Month I'd like to throw one in the suggestion queue, The Long Good Friday, a dramatic gangster movie starring Bob Hoskins as an up-and-comer who's under attack from an unknown foe. It was made right at the beginning of the Thatcher 80s and Hoskins is a real jerkass but in a very compelling way. I just watched in on a lark and was really impressed by it. The only bad news is that it's on HBO Max and not Tubi or something.