Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I want to close the CBM Megathread, I just don’t think the ongoing discussions in there are all that great and I’m pretty sure it’s more slapfights than anything else at this point. There’s some good posting, but I think it’d be better to just have individual cape flick threads whenever one is released.

Agreed on the CBM thread. The non-slapfight discussion is mostly just marketing material, which can fit easily into the greenlighted thread or trailer thread.

I'd consider taking a similar look at the Alien thread and Star Wars thread, given how much of the conversation there is about TV, games, and toys, which might make them better suited for GBS. Then when the Fede Álvarez Alien movie comes out, that gets a movie-specific thread, and same for any actual Star Wars movies. The last Star Wars movie, not TV show, was 2019; for Alien it's 2017.

I'd also consider ditching the streaming thread given a movie being released on streaming is an increasingly less-notable event and the actual thread is mostly about television. If Ghosted or whatever is worth talking about, it can have a thread. And for quick drive-by opinions, there's "thread for posting your first reactions after watching a movie" and GenChat.

In general I'm very happy with your modding and would love to see a push for more movie-specific threads since it makes it easier to dig up an old discussion if you come to a movie late. The obvious exception here is the horror movie thread, which is so high-quality that I can't imagine touching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Roth posted:

The main thing imo that makes i lt hard to discuss indie movies, at least new ones that I imagine people would be jumping to talk about, is that a lot of then get very limited releases for a while.

Like a bunch of film critics out out top 10 lists last year and a lot of it was movies that just weren't widely available to people.

These are exactly the sort of thing I'd love to see threads for even if they don't get a ton of posts. I generally come at these movies late and it frequently turns out that the only discussion for them happened in, like, GenChat. It would be great if smaller films got a thread when they released that could start seeing life again once they hit streaming, make critics' lists, get awards nominations, etc.

feedmyleg posted:

To me, the biggest problem of moving franchise-based threads like Star Wars and Alien from CineD into GBS is that GBS is a cesspool of jerks that I don't like talking to who put in almost exclusively low-effort posts. I like the cadence, thoughtfulness, and perspectives of CineD posters and I enjoy talking about long-tail franchises with this community even if the discussion often goes film-adjacent. Nowhere else on the forums is there a similar balance of depth and lightness in discussion that makes those threads both engaging and fun.

There's something to the idea that CineD is a culture rather than a topic. The Star Wars thread discusses the shows, but tends to do so from the perspective of the movies. Whereas the equivalent TVIV thread assumes a lot more familiarity with the cartoons.

Maybe the solution is to merge CineD and TVIV into a single forum as the distinction between film and television slowly collapses. That way there can just be one Star Wars thread that brings more people together.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Guess it's not too shocking that people who post in CineD as it is now don't want it to change.

Pirate Jet posted:

Would it make sense if maybe megathreads allowed non-spoiler discussion of current releases and in the thread-specific ones you could post without spoiler tags? Or nah?

In my experience, lots of people show up in the movie-specific threads hoping to get an idea of reactions. Particularly people who don't normally post in CineD. So I'd be hesitant to make movie-specific threads automatically have open spoilers from the start.

For my own part, I'll try to make a point to post that I've made a movie-specific thread when it's relevant to a particular megathread. Would it makes sense to also have a stickied thread that's just used for promoting that there's a new movie-specific thread, sorta like they have in D&D? That way, people who live in their bookmarks can bookmark that and get notified when there's a new thread.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Why is there both "thread for posting your first reactions after watching a movie" and "Rate the Latest Movie You've Seen"?