Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm not a frequent poster in too many threads, usually just spending my time lurking all over the place. The thing that always confused me about the Snyder thread is that I don't see threads for other directors around here. That's not to say we shouldn't have a Snyder thread. I'm just curious why we see a Snyder thread but not a Cameron thread or Richie thread or Spielberg thread etc etc etc. Snyder is not necessarily more prolific than other directors. IDK. It just confuses me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Okay, I just had a thought, it's a bit of an upheaval of things, but tell me if I'm crazy. I'm basing this model off of how the Traditional Games subforum is run.

On that subforum, there is the base Traditional Games subforum that is a mixture of megathreads and various discussion. Then, there is "The Game Room" sub-subforum that is individual threads for games currently being run by posters.

In CD, we have "The Film Dump" but that's not being used. Literally no one has posted in there since January. The first page goes all the way back to 2019.

So here's my proposal -

Keep CD as a "general film discussion" haven. A place for any sorts of threads about news, directors, genres, trends, etc etc.

Convert The Film Dump into a place to discuss individual films. Require all threads to have a format of something like "<Film Title> (<Year>) (<Genre>)" And then just be strict about enforcing that all threads on individual films get posted there and not CD.

I am someone who generally likes megathreads as a place to discuss a genre as a whole, but I agree that individual film threads get lost in the shuffle.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

I mean, I feel like the opposite should be happening - the fact that The Film Dump isn't getting used is proof that CineD can't really support any subforums. No offense to our crazy little crew but on any given day we hit like 100 concurrent users at the absolute maximum.

CD doesn't have that many fewer people viewing the forum than TG does. I just feel like if there was a place where I knew there were threads for most films and I could look by film title, I'd probably be a bit more active around there.

I feel like having a place where megathreads and film threads co-exist gets a little messy, but I don't necessarily think the solution is "get rid of megathreads."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

Every couple months I will go through a bunch of forums looking for new threads or bookmarking threads of for shows I want to watch but it’s rare that something new catches my attention.

Yeah. I have a bunch of megathreads for stuff I enjoy bookmarked. If I start playing a new game/watching a new show/etc, I will go find the thread, bookmark it and move on. Every so often I'll go browse a subforum and see if there are any threads that interest me, but that's fairly rare.