Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm late to this because I use the bookmarks. I only learned this thread existed by seeing a strange post in one of the threads I bookmark, following that poster's history to try and see if it was part of something, and following it here. That's generally how I discover things on SA outside my bookmarks these days. I was trying to be more involved in CineD this year and peruse its threads more often but its been a difficult year and I just have tried to withdraw from SA and online instead. And to that end my bookmarks list got much smaller.

For my two cents, and the matter seems resolved now, I think mega threads are kind of a necessarily thing within reason. They're the more natural source for conversation and news and sharing of information or in the case of this forum recommendations. Yes they also become unwieldy cliques of in jokes and years long drama but some in house moderation and the occasional thread reboot to invite new blood can minimize that. I think practically those kinds of topics like Comic Book Movies or horror or Star Wars probably have too much activity and interest to just be included in a more general chat thread where they'd either drown everything out or get lost and abandoned... and probably are too wide to be replaced by individual movie threads since no one's gonna bother to start a new thread for every old movie they're checking out. They're more likely to just not post unless there's a convenient place for them to comment.

Individual movie threads obviously make sense but they're kind of a strange thing in the sense that... well, I never take part in them simply because I never go to the theater. So I watch most movies on at best a 3 month delay and usually longer. And then maybe I'll seek out an individual thread if its still active but by then I figure most of the conversation has been had and anything I say has been said. So its a bit of a rough go. Even people who do go to the theaters probably only go to what... 2 movies a week max? And I'm sure there are dedicated cinephiles here who seek out all the newest stuff and rent stuff and everthing else. But its still a limited audience for individual movie threads compared to like... sports or tv that just air for everyone at roughly the same time. I think that's the primary difference between "film goons" and those other ones. Films are something you can come to 40 years late or the night it opens. TV and sports are much more in the now and more community driven.

I don't know what could be done differently. I'm probably not an active enough CineD poster to say. The Snyderdoom is... odd. The idea of a thread devoted to auteur with a sizable filmography and passionate following is totally fine but it also comes with all that weird tribal warfare baggage. But like if there's a desire to create more threads and revise the subforum in a way that might spark more conversation maybe like an Auteur Dome would make sense? A place with multiple threads about Hitchcock or Kubrick or Scorsese where they wouldn't get lost in the movie threads but they're cater to fans of the directors as well as people discovering or diving into them for the first time? The hassle is keeping it a place where someone can say "I didn't like this" and not be ganged up on or painted with a brush of years of resentment. And that's a problem with a lot of these kind of franchise or "brand" fanbases and threads. But the only way over is through.

I don't know. Just my thoughts. Trying to be more of a member of the CineD community. Trying to help by being involved. Even if I have nothing worthwhile to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah a go to sign up sheet with an updated list of movies would probably be a huge boon.