Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I'm of two minds about closing the CBM thread. On one hand I can understand not wanting to have a thread where not much discussion about cinema happens in Cinema Discusso. On the other I do feel like it serves a purpose in how it's become a thread mainly talking about business and news within one of the biggest trends this industry has ever seen. For the most part this is fine when people are talking about this and giving takes but it also seems to attract people who just treat it like it's an RSS feed, and my honest answer is I don't know what a solution for that would be.

As for Snyderdome I don't think I see too much of a point in closing it. The best thing I can think would be that it would remove a lot of the weird salt from the early days of the thread, and it irks me to refer to it as a "containment" thread because it was only meant as one entirely in bad faith - but I also really don't see the point in dredging up a bunch of drama from 2019 over it. I cherish and trust Teagone to make something better if we're going to replace it but I also really don't think it's strictly necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I mean the first thing I'll say is that none of this is really a big deal and it's impossible for you to make a decision on this I find so disagreeable that I'll LEAVE CINED FOREVER or anything.

I'll admit personal biases may be coming into play here because I personally am more interested in superheroes than Alien or Star Wars but I also think there's more of a justification to keep the CBM thread around than either of those given it's about an entire industry trend rather than one particular franchise, it's even entering a phase people would like to discuss more given the genre is showing its first signs of being on the outs. I think the box office of GotG3 is gonna be a big test, for example. I think it's not really prone to slapfights particularly any more than other long-running threads like Who Greenlighted, and it attracts problem posters from time to time but I view that as just being natural for what is the biggest genre in movies right now. I think breaking it off into individual threads about each movie will probably kill the majority of discussion about CBMs in this subforum (though maybe that's a win itself uhuhuhu) because at this point the content of most of these movies aren't particularly interesting, all of them follow a really similar formula now that we've weeded out anything that isn't the MCU or isn't trying to be just like it, and the discussion of the genre and how the movie industry is handling it is more interesting than actually discussing 99% of the movies in it these days.

I guess the main argument for not closing Snyderdome is "why fix what's not broken" especially considering we've already changed the OP to not be a drive-by on people who like his movies like it was when the thread first started, but also it was a thread made by his detractors meant to insult his fans and it still shows at the beginning of the thread so I could go either way on that one.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
So it seems in general enough people like having franchise-chat in the specific CineD environment that I'm not sure closing any megathreads is the play, but I also agree more threads for individual movies should happen. How do we encourage posters to get those going?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Okay, I just had a thought, it's a bit of an upheaval of things, but tell me if I'm crazy. I'm basing this model off of how the Traditional Games subforum is run.

On that subforum, there is the base Traditional Games subforum that is a mixture of megathreads and various discussion. Then, there is "The Game Room" sub-subforum that is individual threads for games currently being run by posters.

In CD, we have "The Film Dump" but that's not being used. Literally no one has posted in there since January. The first page goes all the way back to 2019.

So here's my proposal -

Keep CD as a "general film discussion" haven. A place for any sorts of threads about news, directors, genres, trends, etc etc.

Convert The Film Dump into a place to discuss individual films. Require all threads to have a format of something like "<Film Title> (<Year>) (<Genre>)" And then just be strict about enforcing that all threads on individual films get posted there and not CD.

I am someone who generally likes megathreads as a place to discuss a genre as a whole, but I agree that individual film threads get lost in the shuffle.

I mean, I feel like the opposite should be happening - the fact that The Film Dump isn't getting used is proof that CineD can't really support any subforums. No offense to our crazy little crew but on any given day we hit like 100 concurrent users at the absolute maximum.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Would it make sense if maybe megathreads allowed non-spoiler discussion of current releases and in the thread-specific ones you could post without spoiler tags? Or nah?