Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

As the OP of the Snyderdome thread I’m fine with closing it to start a new thread, but would just like to state for the record why that thread was made and why I took that tone that apparently rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

It might be easy to forget now but prior to that thread, Snyder chat was spilling out throughout the forum, particular GenChat, on a near daily basis and constantly sparking arguments and feuding between the pro- and anti-Snyder crowds. I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say this was constant and it was getting to a breaking point. So while some people were upset by the characterization of the thread as a “Containment Zone” at the time it had become abundantly clear Snyder needed his own thread or the arguments would continue spreading to every other thread.

I apologize that I seem to have offended a lot of people with that OP, but in my defense this is Something Awful, a website very much known for sarcastic, snappy posting and people rallying around the banner of “we’re goons and we love that” so I am still a little surprised people were so upset by what I thought was just a snarky roast in line with this site’s general tone. I believe at some point a mod even edited out my original post anyway so it’s all just history at this point.

What I am glad about is that my prediction that the thread was going to continue being a thunderdome where the pro- and anti- crowds would keep bickering forever did not pan out and that it wound up being a generally positive place, from what I saw, for his fans to chat without the constant derails and hostility. In that sense, I think it’s relevant to this current discussion about Megathreads and why they can be a good and necessary thing. Those of us who don’t like Snyder’s movies simply didn’t bother going in there most of the time and those who do like them could actually enthuse about them and discuss and debate on their own terms. I’m in favor of a fresh start, new threads with less to get caught up on are great for bringing in new posters in general, but I wouldn’t get rid of it because clearly he sparks enough discourse to warrant his own topic.

If we wanted to make threads for James Cameron, Spielberg, etc I’m all for it. I’m not sure if they would be as big as that one, but I don’t see why more threads is a bad thing and if they don’t take off then it’s not the end of the world. But if they do, they can help keep the forum active and offer places for people to get really in the weeds about the movies and directors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

If by chance Fran sees this any potential to get an update on the official Letterboxd list for MotM? Seems it hasn't been updated since early 2021.

https://letterboxd.com/franchescanado/list/cined-movie-of-the-month/page/2/