Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Pirate Jet posted:

I also think there's more of a justification to keep the CBM thread around than either of those given it's about an entire industry trend rather than one particular franchise, it's even entering a phase people would like to discuss more given the genre is showing its first signs of being on the outs. I think the box office of GotG3 is gonna be a big test, for example.

Regardless of what happens to the CBM thread, maybe a thread about industry trends/the business side of things would be a better fit for discussion like this? That way, the movie threads can be more about the movies themselves and less about their import to a given studio's health or their place in a studio's overall strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

mutantIke posted:

I feel like independent film is also pretty under-represented from what I've seen (even more-so if it's not coming from A24)

Yeah, I feel like the franchise megathreads do tend to drive discussion towards those franchises at the expense of other movies. Like, the biggest, most heavily-promoted movies are always gonna command a lot more attention than indie stuff, but if someone wants to talk about smaller movies there's not much specifically geared towards that. So people who want to do that just don't post.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Roth posted:

The main thing imo that makes i lt hard to discuss indie movies, at least new ones that I imagine people would be jumping to talk about, is that a lot of then get very limited releases for a while.

Like a bunch of film critics out out top 10 lists last year and a lot of it was movies that just weren't widely available to people.

I think this is a really good point, but I also think that threads devoted to smaller/indie stuff could have the effect of letting people know about these movies. So even if they're not in a major city where this stuff opens on the regular, they still have an idea of whether something's worth checking out once it hits VOD/streaming/torrent sites. And that, in turn, could spur more discussion.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Maybe it would make sense to keep everything but the most egregious megathreads but mandate that they be closed every three months or so, with a new one on the same topic taking its place? That would make the megathreads themselves more approachable for people who haven't been posting in them forever, and I think it would go some way towards correcting the situation where it's huge threads with thousands of posts on one side and microthreads of a couple pages on the other. And that by itself might encourage people to start more threads on different topics.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Jerkface posted:

Cleaning house every year makes sense, I dunno about every 3 months, but if that did occur I'd appreciate it if links to the new thread were posted as the last post and the old thread is in the OP of the new first post.

Yeah, like, in TFF the divisional threads are mostly closed after every full season/offseason and it works well enough. I think three months makes sense for movies because then you've got threads for spring, summer, fall and winter movie seasons, but just some kind of cap in general is something I think would be helpful.

E: Plus, doing it every few months adds a degree of self-determination to it. If there isn't enough interest in a topic for someone to start a new thread after a couple months, that could just be a topic that doesn't need a thread at that particular moment and it can just go dormant until interest spikes again.

Black Lighter fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 2, 2023