Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Seconding what others have said, in that to me the ideal outcome is that the genre threads stick around for chatter about older movies/upcoming releases while encouraging folks to make threads for individual movies as they come out. Some megathreads manage it decently enough, others don't (to name a few, I feel like most MCU movies get a thread these days while I can't recall the last time I saw a thread for an animated movie).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

These are exactly the sort of thing I'd love to see threads for even if they don't get a ton of posts. I generally come at these movies late and it frequently turns out that the only discussion for them happened in, like, GenChat. It would be great if smaller films got a thread when they released that could start seeing life again once they hit streaming, make critics' lists, get awards nominations, etc.

Yea there's an attitude 'round the forums that a thread isn't worth it if it doesn't get a lot of posts but for my money's worth even if an individual movie thread gets a single page of posts it can still be worthwhile.

Especially since it can invite discussion from folks outside of a megathread. Like for example horror isn't really my jam so I never look at that megathread, but if there's a thread for a specific horror movie I might take a look at it. I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

So to people who don't use bookmarks, do you usually stay in the same subforum? Do you go to one subforum, see what threads have new posts, and then go to another subforum, repeat, and on and on? Going back a page or two sometimes if some threads fell back? Are you usually just looking for new threads?

Seems like madness when bookmarks organize things so easily for you in one place. Unless you're regularly looking for new threads.

I only use bookmarks for places like Games where there are a million active threads going on. For a place like CineD that has far less traffic and far fewer threads I just manually look at the place. Makes it easy to notice new threads too.