Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't think it's a problem if cinema-adjacent topics like the other aspects of multimedia franchises are the subjects of posts in here. Being in Cinema Discusso, being viewed by the kind of goon who thinks "I would like to discuss some cinema," ensures that the movie-thinker-abouter's perspective remains central to the overall conversation. For this reason, I think that at least some of the megathreads for fallow large film series should remain open.

That said, if you were to challenge the regulars of the unwanted megathreads to make new, more specific threads, link them there, and only after they gain traction close the big one, that might help facilitate the transition to the kind of posting culture you seek to cultivate. Users will follow established patterns of use, so if it's at all possible to change the pattern, creating good examples of the new style would be the best way to kickstart it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Here's my own feelings on the matter:

I think it's fun when somebody blusters into a thread about a divisive pop culture thing and is appalled to find that it harbors heterodox thing likers, and megathreads facilitate that kind of sparring. CD's culture of posters "showing their work" and building on each other's ideas (which I greatly appreciate) is strengthened by long-lived meandering threads with both low- and high-effort posts in them.

There might be other, better ways of accomplishing that, though. I'd have to see what's supposed to be good about the alternative before a policy of getting rid of them would sit well with me.