Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Please do not close the star wars thread - I do like the aggregation aspect of some of these megathreads and don't want to have a bunch of star wars conversation split up between greenlight/trailer/etc when the majority of it can just be in the thread. I think having threads for the individual movies when they come out is great (even though no star wars movie is ever coming out again) and agree with that approach for other threads. I like the CBM thread for that purpose too and usually skip over all the slap fighting though I'd understand it getting closed.

I think there is value in having a thread in a forum for a specific topic (cinema) even if the content being discussed is technically something else (streaming/tv) because it can be spoken about at that level. TV IV can be a poo poo show some times and I'm not saying CD is a genius, but being able to talk about some of the craft behind a piece in the CD thread is nice instead of a bunch of people mistaking dialogue and building elaborate theories making GBS threads up the thread like in TVIV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Black Lighter posted:

Maybe it would make sense to keep everything but the most egregious megathreads but mandate that they be closed every three months or so, with a new one on the same topic taking its place? That would make the megathreads themselves more approachable for people who haven't been posting in them forever, and I think it would go some way towards correcting the situation where it's huge threads with thousands of posts on one side and microthreads of a couple pages on the other. And that by itself might encourage people to start more threads on different topics.

Cleaning house every year makes sense, I dunno about every 3 months, but if that did occur I'd appreciate it if links to the new thread were posted as the last post and the old thread is in the OP of the new first post.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I just go to each sub forum in a specific order :shobon: ive never used a bookmark

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

thrawn527 posted:

So to people who don't use bookmarks, do you usually stay in the same subforum? Do you go to one subforum, see what threads have new posts, and then go to another subforum, repeat, and on and on? Going back a page or two sometimes if some threads fell back? Are you usually just looking for new threads?

Seems like madness when bookmarks organize things so easily for you in one place. Unless you're regularly looking for new threads.

I look at what I've read and also new posts. The awful app makes it easy by putting all unread posts to the top, but when I browse on web I just look around. I can see the idea of bookmarks making it easy to stake out what threads you are reading, but I like the organic discovery possibility of checking forums and I have a very OCD like habit of checking forums in a specific order. I do the same thing for apps on my phone so its just personal habit.