Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Bumping for July motm volunteers. Any takers?

I see you might have a few takers in the GenChat thread. I can do it if nobody else wants to (or another future month as I don't want to monopolize). I must be in a writing mood.

MacheteZombie posted:

Movie of the Month suggestions ideas? It’s one of my favorite features of CD but gets little love. Would be cool to re-energize it somehow.

Circa 2005 and 2006 there was a period where I (and a few others) ran polls to decide the MotM. Some liked it but some didn't as there was a tendency for voters to select the familiar favorites. I don't believe it had a big effect on engagement though.

I took a look at how many replies many past MotM threads received and it should be no surprise that Sci-Fi/Horror films are the bread-and-butter of CD discourse. This holds true at the very beginning and still right through today. 2001: A Space Odyssey and Zardoz were the two biggest MotM threads in the first few years. In the last couple of years the biggest threads have been The Black Hole, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Children of Men and Psycho Goreman. I haven't checked every single one but Galaxy Quest (with 251 replies) might be the top thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

That's pretty to neat, cool of you to look into that! I suspected scifi or action flicks to be up there, nice to know horror is popular haha.

I'll keep you in mind for future MotMs if that's alright with you, I'll confirm with Gripweed about doing motm and see if SMG was serious. If they're out I'll reach out to you or CPL593H, my other reoccurring host.

The poll idea is interesting, Book Barn does the same thing so I'll look into how they do it and mull over bringing it into CD. More community involvement is always great.

Yeah, that's fine. I can fill in if you have trouble finding someone in the future.

With all the books turned into movies and vice versa it wouldn't be hard to coordinate a crossover event between the two subforums.

The top dozen MotM threads:

code:
Title				Replies
Galaxy Quest 			251
Blade				193
Mulholland Dr.			133
Barbershop			121
Falling Down			 94
Gremlins 2: The New Batch	 94
Jumanji				 89
2001: A Space Odyssey		 86
Videodrome			 86