Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
To me, the biggest problem of moving franchise-based threads like Star Wars and Alien from CineD into GBS is that GBS is a cesspool of jerks that I don't like talking to who put in almost exclusively low-effort posts. I like the cadence, thoughtfulness, and perspectives of CineD posters and I enjoy talking about long-tail franchises with this community even if the discussion often goes film-adjacent. Nowhere else on the forums is there a similar balance of depth and lightness in discussion that makes those threads both engaging and fun.

Overall, I just don't like this move and don't see the point. It feels like it would jettison half of what I love about CineD. I love poking into megathreads and seeing discussion by passionate people on a focused genre or franchise, even if it does occasionally devolve for a page or two at a time. If and when that happens, I unbookmark for a week and check it out again when heads have cooled and discussion has moved on. These megathreads feel like they're buoys of community activity between lulls with new releases and news. I could see CineD becoming a bit more of a ghost town if discussion is limited only to individual films or moves in that direction.

My question is—what exactly is the goal, here? What is the ideal state that you're imagining? If it's to push us more toward a greater depth of film analysis and criticism for individual films, I question that we'd be able to sustain that. For most films, the discussion naturally peters out after everyone's had their say and the thread drifts off into the abyss. I don't really care about 80% of films that are released in any given year, and if I'm lucky there's only going to be one new release at any given time that I'm interested in reading discussion on. And outside of that, I'd have to hope that someone else feels like discussing an older film at the same time I am. As it stands now, I could jump into the Horror thread and bring up some old giallo movie I just enjoyed and there can be a spatter of discussion on that before the thread moves on to another area of interest. There's no way a Bird with a Crystal Plumage thread would get more than 5 posts in it when nobody's going to see unless I cross-link with the horror thread, and then the thread will be buried on the third page before I can blink. I don't see why the Alien or Star Wars or Comic Book threads should operate any differently.

I'd suggest that instead, we could evolve The Film Dump away from reviews and toward discussion. That CineD could continue to focus on these larger, rolling discussions for things like genres and new releases and franchises, and that Film Dump could be a more focused discussion and analysis of individual films rather than just people going in and dropping their review and ignoring the others. As it stands, I'm not sure why The Film Dump really exists when most of us have Letterboxd do do the same thing anyway. Or flip it and create a subforum that's more like The Sci-Fi Wifi for lighter discussion and megathreads, while making CineD proper focus on more focused individual film discussion?

Also, it feels important to call out that most people browse through their bookmarks. It's very rare for me to open up the actual subforum and notice that a new thread has been posted about it unless someone mentions it in GenChat, and I know most people are similar. It's a visibility issue rather than an interest issue. Maybe this could be resolved by having a stickied thread where we make a post each time we open a new thread to attract attention to it? The forums-wide "weekend update" threads are a really fun version of that. Maybe you could do your own version of that where you post a weekly digest of new threads that people can bookmark?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What would folks think about adding additional subforums to CineD? Video Games has a half-dozen, which allows for, say, all-things Retro Gaming to have more dedicated and in-depth discussions, as well as sub-forums dedicated to more social game-based activities and such. Why not have a Franchises subforum, a Classic Movies subforum, a Filmmaking subforum, an Animation subforum, an Indie subforum, etc. The system seen on Video Games allows for much more niche things to thrive over time. If the "Retro Game Magazines" thread had to compete in the primary Video Games subforum for attention against the Nintendo Switch megathread, I don't think it would have gotten more than a handful of posts. That's where CineD stands right now.

Today, if I wanted to talk about shot-on-video horror movies, I could make a thread and post it to CineD and have it die after a few days/weeks, or I could post about it in the Horror thread and maybe get a handful of posters to chat about it for a bit. But if we had an Indie Movies subforum, I could see that sort of thread being a bit more sustainable over time because it wouldn't be drowned out by the higher-profile threads. Same thing for me wanting to talk about, say, the 90s Disney Renaissance. It's something that today would be a blip in the larger Animation thread, but on an Animation subforum could have a lot more visibility.

Right now we can just manage to sustain a Snyder thread becuase it's basically also the catch-all DC thread, but that's the only director who has their own thread on this film discussion board. If I was interested in discussing the New Cinema movement directors, or the impact of George Lucas on the industry, or the works of David Lynch, it's just not sustainable. If we had a subforum dedicated to the craft and history of cinema like a Filmmaking subforum, maybe we could? And maybe things like the film preservation and restoration thread would have been more evergreen.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 2, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

For specific franchises they probably should go in the sci-fi wi-fi

Have you actually read any Sci-Fi Wifi threads? Most are just a bunch of low-effort jokes and surface-level chatter. A totally different vibe than the CineD threads.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

I use bookmarks and poke around the forums for threads. I'm on this site too much lol

Yeah, 90% of the time I open up my bookmarks, look at my threads with unread posts, then close the app when I'm done. If I read everything and still feel like dicking around on the forums, I'll jump into CineD or TVIV or PYF or whatever and see if there's anything new or any threads I've read some of before but am not interested enough in bookmarking.

When Jeffrey posted an ideas thread for improving the forums, this seemed like fairly standard behavior for a large percentage of the forums.

This is why the idea of a "New Threads" thread seems like it could help expose the new threads to people who navigate this way, or act as an index of niche stuff that tends to get pushed off the front page quickly. Whenever someone has a new thread they make, they can post a link in that thread so that people who have bookmarked it get an alert that there's something new to check out.

It's a janky oldschool way of doing it, but that's kinda what these forums are all about :shrug:

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 3, 2023