Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sir Kodiak posted:

These are exactly the sort of thing I'd love to see threads for even if they don't get a ton of posts. I generally come at these movies late and it frequently turns out that the only discussion for them happened in, like, GenChat. It would be great if smaller films got a thread when they released that could start seeing life again once they hit streaming, make critics' lists, get awards nominations, etc.

There's something to the idea that CineD is a culture rather than a topic. The Star Wars thread discusses the shows, but tends to do so from the perspective of the movies. Whereas the equivalent TVIV thread assumes a lot more familiarity with the cartoons.

Maybe the solution is to merge CineD and TVIV into a single forum as the distinction between film and television slowly collapses. That way there can just be one Star Wars thread that brings more people together.

Frankly the posting culture of TVIV is so different and imo uninteresting this would turn me off from bothering to read or participate.

I agree with the common sentiment that megathreads allow mini communities to spring up, and also are good for discussing older movies or related films that aren’t widely seen or a big part of the zeitgeist so they don’t drive tons of engagement. I do wish there were more film specific or subject specific threads but I’m not sure nuking the megathreads will achieve that.

I did not realize that lots of people apparently only view their already bookmarked threads, which as a habit seems like a bigger obstacle to me than the existence of somewhat overlapping threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mystes posted:

I think almost everyone just uses bookmarks

I don't know how anyone would know but i informally polled the handful of posters i know irl and none of them do this. i'm bemused to find it's common at all