Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

anyone hacked a samsung washer to play a different tune?

i need a washer that plays treat me mean i need the reputation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
kinda want to make firmware that plays one of those weird numbers station musical interludes and then explodes

*lincolnshire poacher tones* BOOM

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
you're already halfway there with regular samsung appliances

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i have a shameshit fridge and it has the fridge equivalent of sleep apnea as far as how it sounds

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i have an lg fridge that is pretty quiet

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

i bought a sarnsung fridge half a year ago and it bonks sometimes randomly. just BONG bong beng bengbengbengbeng

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

you will regret this!!!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Bloody posted:

you will regret this!!!

eat poo poo samsung lover

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Samsung is bad. only thing worse? tinkering with the sanctity of my posts!!!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mods = cops
cops = bastards
you do the math :cool:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
man

Bloody posted:

mods = cops
cops = bastards
you do the math :cool:

sounds like something a pineapple hater would say

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
are samsung monitors bogus

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only samsung stuff i'd buy is their SSDs which are very good. the rest i'd skip

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

are samsung monitors bogus

i have a samsung chromebook with a samsung oled in it and it's an excellent display

terrible computer, but drat it's pretty

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Shaggar posted:

the only samsung stuff i'd buy is their SSDs which are very good. the rest i'd skip

regrettably i must not only agree with shaggar but also acknowledge that buying that "pro" 2TB sarnsung m2 ssd last year has been a godsend for IO bound workloads on my machine

i take no pleasure in this, believe me

also lol ssds are now <$100 per TB

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Beeftweeter posted:

i have a samsung chromebook with a samsung oled in it and it's an excellent display

terrible computer, but drat it's pretty

yeah i got a 2k screen sarnsnug Chromebook back in the day for $200. excellent cheap tv secondary computer that doubles as a lightweight travel machine

the modern equivalents are 4k but over $400. gently caress that poo poo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

samsung storage and displays (non TV) can be excellent actually. their ssds are my go-to. but lol loving nothing appliance wise ever

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mediaphage posted:

samsung storage and displays (non TV) can be excellent actually. their ssds are my go-to. but lol loving nothing appliance wise ever

how about "smart things"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

anyone tried this bad boy?

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Digi...&s=photo&sr=1-6

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ask beef he’s the king of hosed up sensors

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

some of my friends love to buy and replace samsung phones every two years when they stop working after a comically short amount of time

i also have an lg washer and dryer. they play a nice little tune when they finish

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

6.3 MP lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

their dslrs weren’t actually that bad for the time iirc but they just couldn’t make it in the market

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

according to readers digest

The most reliable washing machines

The best way to get a good product: Ask for a recommendation from a professional. When it comes to washing machines, Puls’ technicians overwhelmingly called out Whirlpool as the brand they recommend to customers. After Whirlpool, LG and Samsung came in second and third place, respectively. To help your washing machines function better and last longer, these are the ingredients you should be putting in them.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mediaphage posted:

their dslrs weren’t actually that bad for the time iirc but they just couldn’t make it in the market

one of my old coworkers used to work at sarnsung when they were still trying to break into the dslr market, and he told me every year everyone in the camera division had a kpi target to become #1 in dslrs in world market share and they never even got close and just kept failing their targets every year, lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fart simpson posted:

according to readers digest

The most reliable washing machines

The best way to get a good product: Ask for a recommendation from a professional. When it comes to washing machines, Puls’ technicians overwhelmingly called out Whirlpool as the brand they recommend to customers. After Whirlpool, LG and Samsung came in second and third place, respectively. To help your washing machines function better and last longer, these are the ingredients you should be putting in them.

lol okay well they aren’t trustworthy at all then

fart simpson posted:

one of my old coworkers used to work at sarnsung when they were still trying to break into the dslr market, and he told me every year everyone in the camera division had a kpi target to become #1 in dslrs in world market share and they never even got close and just kept failing their targets every year, lol

lmao amazing

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

mediaphage posted:

yeah but $700 lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

yeah but $700 lol

sure but it probably hasn’t been in stock for fifteen years

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

cowboy beepboop posted:

some of my friends love to buy and replace samsung phones every two years when they stop working after a comically short amount of time

dunno, i've had the same galaxy phone for ten years now and it still works well enough for me. though admittedly i only use it to make or receive calls three times a weeks, two of which are spam, so i'm not exactly what you'd call the most demanding phone user. legit thinking of cancelling data at this point

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I bet if you handled a new phone the performance difference would be night and day, even just navigating through the system ui

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

dunno, i've had the same galaxy phone for ten years now and it still works well enough for me.

hell yes

i mean not that you have a samsung, but just hell yes generally at using whatever phone it is for ten years.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fart simpson posted:

going for market share above all else is very samsung, they were all about that when i worked there, that’s why they had an insanely low quarterly profit report (this year is down 95% from last year), imo - ignoring slowing sales to try to increase market share.

but the dslr market seems way too expensive for the samsung “iterate and release a new one every six months but never provide any support beyond 3 months” business model. market share is a great metric for a commodity dram or flash chip, and even a cell phone when it is subsidized and people get one every year or 18 months, but for a high end product like a nice camera people want something actually good, not just “cheap and ubiquitous”

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

rotor posted:

i bought a samsung refrigerator and it makes these super loud cracking noises. Like think 'dropping a golf ball 4 feet onto a wood floor' kind of loud. I contacted Samsung and they told me this was expected and normal and was due to thermal expansion.

Like who could have fuckin predicted thermal expansion issues in a refrigerator, right?

gently caress samsung, your poo poo is garbage

someone i know had a samsung fridge that made a similar noise but the noise was actually it randomly making GBS threads ice cubes onto their kitchen floor from the door ice dispenser when no one was in the room.

they had to have the wood refinished and got a new fridge

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

a fridge that kicks the ice under the fridge for you. nice

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

but the dslr market seems way too expensive for the samsung “iterate and release a new one every six months but never provide any support beyond 3 months” business model. market share is a great metric for a commodity dram or flash chip, and even a cell phone when it is subsidized and people get one every year or 18 months, but for a high end product like a nice camera people want something actually good, not just “cheap and ubiquitous”

yeah the high end dslrs/mirrorless cameras tend to be on quite long cycles. the eos 5d mark 2, 3, 4, and replacement eos r5 came out in 2008, 2012, 2016 and 2020 respectively. samsung could never handle that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

yeah i never owned one but used one at school for a bit. it wasn't that bad, just... not great either. iirc it was more expensive than a kinda-equivalent (better) pentax body that used the same lens mount so almost nobody bought it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

one of my old coworkers used to work at sarnsung

lol i forgot samsung owns harman

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
iirc their cameras have (had) a bit of a cult following. they let it wither though.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

yeah i got a 2k screen sarnsnug Chromebook back in the day for $200. excellent cheap tv secondary computer that doubles as a lightweight travel machine

the modern equivalents are 4k but over $400. gently caress that poo poo

also yeah i have the 4K one and got it for about $400 lol

i think it was worth it still but drat chomeos is a waste of an otherwise decently spec'd laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
apparently they were eventually(?) literally rebranded pentax cameras, there was also a samsung GX-10 that is basically just a more expensive pentax K10D with worse firmware and a different grip