Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Way back in December 2018, I posted this thread about a Factory Five factory tour: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877148 In January of 2019, I purchased a 2006 WRX in lovely condition to use as a donor for an 818 build. This was my progress on the project for quite some time (not including selling my condo and buying a house with a good sized garage). Last year, April 2022, I finally decided the timing was right, and so I booked a trip to Michigan to go to the Factory Five build school, with the intent to order a kit after if I didn't decide I hated it.

Unfortunately for me, my timing was impeccable. In December of 2021, Factory Five stopped taking orders on the 818. It's not a high profit kit for them, and they could max out their production making their other more profitable kits. The GTM was also paused. According to their wording, and their responses, the 818 was not discontinued, you just couldn't order it anymore, and also they may not resume orders, and they don't have a plan for it's future yet. I was dumb, and being optimistic, so kept waiting to hear that they were opening the order books again.

I started evaluating other things I could do with my donor. It's got rust in spots all over it. The previous owner did horrible things to it. I started asking around to see if I knew someone who might be interested, but I wasn't ready to get rid of it just yet.

By luck, the one person from the build school that actually had a kit already on order contacted me to see if I was interested in buying their virtually unstarted kit. It was configured with pretty much every option I was after, including the correct donor year setup. He had also purchased a lot of third party parts that I had also planned to purchase. About a week later and the kit was in my garage. This was back at the start of April.

To provide some information to those who aren't familiar with the 818 (which is probably almost everyone), the 818 is a mid-engine rear wheel drive kit from Factory five that uses a 2002-2007 Impreza, WRX, or STI car as a donor. The kit includes a tube frame chassis and fiberglass body (plus other bits and bobs). The transmission gets converted to front wheel drive and then shoved in the back of the chassis. The suspension, brakes, cooling system, and electronics from the donor are all used, plus other miscellaneous parts.

The coupe looks a bit like this:

(This is a giant sticker that the kit's prior owner had printed and since he was getting rid of the kit, he let me take it.

The photos in this post are all donor-related, since that's where most of the work is right now.

Donor looking deflated, having sat around in various places for 4 years.

These wheel dollies roll infinitely better than the rusted-everything donor.

Rust

Rust that sealed the hood closed

Rust & mangled pinch welds

Rust

Rust & Oil

The engine bay (hood removed)

Even the pulley is rusty

Rodents storing stuff everywhere

E: Updated image links to images posted via an account.

carticket fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

This is out of chronological order, since I got the kit before I started tearing down the donor.

The kit packed up in a trailer just before departing for my garage.

The body panels unloaded.

The chassis and all the boxes of parts.

Compacted the body onto the chassis temporarily. The hard top took up the other garage bay for about a week.

I then hung it upside down from the basement ceiling. It's a bit low under it but you can still move around.

And what better location for all the carbon fiber bits!

I started inventory and organizing boxes and quickly realized I needed more shelf space and also stronger shelves

The larger stronger shelves

Almost done with inventory at this point

I don't have anything more recent, but I finished the inventory. That new shelf is much more filled now. I discovered a few missing parts: two aluminum panels that make up the front splash guards and something rather important: the rear hatch. Due to the way the previous owner took delivery of the kit, the hatch was never included. Luckily, Factory Five still has those parts and is going to provide it even though they want you to do an inventory within 45 days of taking delivery. The two aluminum panels I can purchase from them.

I hung a piece of plywood from the basement ceiling and shoved all the other aluminum panels up there. The body (minus the hard top) is hidden under my screen porch, covered by a tarp and on pallets to keep them off the ground, but setup so any water that does get in should be able to drain away. The kit is basically moth balled until I either get tired of removing rusty parts from the donor or finish removing rusty parts from the donor.

E: Including here rather than another post.

At this point, I've removed three of the four doors on the car. As shown above, the hood has been removed. I've removed the radiator/fans, the alternator, and battery. It's been a bit slow going both due to time availability, and also having to stop and shop vac after every part comes out. So far, none of the bolts have been seized, which is much better than I've been expecting. I've been labelling every coolant connection because some of these parts are reused as-is, and some are adapted for the new chassis. I need to go do that with the electrical connections (the door connections, and two airbag sensors that were removed), as I will need to hack away at the harness once it's out.

carticket fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 30, 2023

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Following this one closely. My old man used to kick around the idea of doing a Factory Five Roadster, but now he's content to drive an overpowered Cadillac instead.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Following this one closely. My old man used to kick around the idea of doing a Factory Five Roadster, but now he's content to drive an overpowered Cadillac instead.

The Roadster is a million times easier than the 818 according to the guys who teach the build school. Mostly because things are more modular, simpler designs, and replica parts. They had to work hard to make the Impreza platform work for this build. Their goal was lowest cost to build, so using as much of the donor as possible.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Hyped to follow along on this, thanks for making a build thread.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've always loved the idea of that kit, look forward to following along.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I question your definition of rust, but am absolutely here for the transformation.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Updates are going to be pretty sparse, since all I'm doing right now is donor teardown. I switched from drivetrain teardown to interior teardown to change things up a bit. I think I might make a bench from the rear seat. I printed out the whole wiring diagram so I can properly label connectors with the connector letter+number from the diagram. I have a feeling I will thank myself later for doing that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Taking very good notes and labeling the harness as you pull it out is a very good idea and will save you a lot of time when you start putting things back together.

Tear down is still thread worthy content if you feel like going through the effort of posting.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I'll probably post some pics at milestones like a stripped interior, empty engine bay, etc. I still have to figure out how I'm going to roll the husk into the driveway.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

you'll definitely want to label everything. sadly ive stripped enough of these stupid things that my buddy had a harness he dumped on the ground unlabelled and i pointed out every connector and what it did for him :confuoot:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

At the very least, the whole airbag system, which is not coming along, is easy to identify

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

carticket posted:

I'll probably post some pics at milestones like a stripped interior, empty engine bay, etc. I still have to figure out how I'm going to roll the husk into the driveway.

Furniture dollies are cheap at harbor freight or similar and work great for pushing car shells around. If you hit a pebble they'll grind to a halt but otherwise they're pretty nice.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

carticket posted:

At the very least, the whole airbag system, which is not coming along, is easy to identify

Yup, its all separate and bright yellow. I use a grinder to grind the security screws off the module.

If you don't need the HVAC, the main wiring harness goes behind it on the dash. Fastest way is to just smash the ever living gently caress out of the plastic box with a mini sledge.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Furniture dollies are cheap at harbor freight or similar and work great for pushing car shells around. If you hit a pebble they'll grind to a halt but otherwise they're pretty nice.

My driveway is 100% pebbles. I've got the kit chassis on a set of those dollies, though!

Slow is Fast posted:

Yup, its all separate and bright yellow. I use a grinder to grind the security screws off the module.

If you don't need the HVAC, the main wiring harness goes behind it on the dash. Fastest way is to just smash the ever living gently caress out of the plastic box with a mini sledge.

I need a defrost to get the car titled/registered in NH, and the coupe apparently gets quite warm inside, so I was going to do a Vintage Air system. I might try to use the stock controls, just because VA doesn't have any modern looking controls. The air handler and all that, though, is destined for junking.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
For the rusty hardware/parts, I've seen pretty amazing work done with Evaporust and then using a plating system from Caswell or similar. I don't deal with rusty cars :smugdog: but have needed to consider it with the various weird things I come across in barns/fields. Also keeping parts categorized in tagged bags or use stackable bucket strainers while de-rusting/plating might get you into good looking hardware without the big ol' bag of bolts that tend to plague part-out level rebuilds.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The previous owner of the kit did literally buy a big old bag of bolts for everything since he was using new or professionally rebuilt parts for everything. Hand tool rescue is a big proponent of Evaporust. I also have access to a small sandblaster. Things like the headers, though, I'll just get something aftermarket to replace them probably.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I really like the idea of those kits and saw a finished on in person once. Very cool and probably very fast and fun. The styling is a little off for me but it's a minor thing. Looking forward to watching the build.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Oh hell yeah, I'm in for this. I just finished tearing down and rebuilding an 06 sti. Not my car but I bet the owner would come off leftover parts cheap, let me know if there's any stock STI engine bits you want.

Also done a ton of work on factory five cobras. Never messed with an 818 but they look like awesome cars.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Still tearing down the donor. Not a lot of progress made recently. I had someone come out to evacuate the refrigerant and it turns out it was already empty. It probably leaked out over years. Finished stripping the interior aside from a few small trim pieces and carpets. Gotta sort through the rubble tonight.

E: few of these parts are used in the kit build, so I used the method of "remove screws and nuts until things move"

Also found what is probably the least surprising thing in the glove box.

Meeting up with the original owner later this week to get the last few parts. Some sheet aluminum parts. The headlight covers. The rear hatch.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I picked up the hatch and some aluminum panels today. Still need to get the headlights. The original owner of the kit had an STi 6 speed he bought for the build, and he offered me a deal I just couldn't refuse provided I come and pick it up (a few hours away). So, I guess I'm going to have a 6 speed now. He has all the Factory Five parts to convert it to FWD. I need to look, as I may need to pick up a different bellcrank for the shifter cables.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

carticket posted:

I picked up the hatch and some aluminum panels today. Still need to get the headlights. The original owner of the kit had an STi 6 speed he bought for the build, and he offered me a deal I just couldn't refuse provided I come and pick it up (a few hours away). So, I guess I'm going to have a 6 speed now. He has all the Factory Five parts to convert it to FWD. I need to look, as I may need to pick up a different bellcrank for the shifter cables.

An STI 6 speed, and the parts to make it FWD? Surely...AWD?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Captain McAllister posted:

An STI 6 speed, and the parts to make it FWD? Surely...AWD?

when you're putting it in a factory five kit car, presumably the engine is in the rear so a FWD conversion on the trans becomes RWD once the powertrain is relocated

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Raluek posted:

when you're putting it in a factory five kit car, presumably the engine is in the rear so a FWD conversion on the trans becomes RWD once the powertrain is relocated

Yeah, re-read the OP:

"the 818 is a mid-engine rear wheel drive kit from Factory five that uses a 2002-2007 Impreza, WRX, or STI car as a donor. The kit includes a tube frame chassis and fiberglass body (plus other bits and bobs). The transmission gets converted to front wheel drive and then shoved in the back of the chassis."

My mind read it as making the car FWD, using a WRX setup.

Captain McAllister fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 7, 2023

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Yes, the output on the transmission that would go to the rear wheels isn't used.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I wonder how many people were able to get ahold of the now-rare 1.8 FWD Impreza gearboxes before they disappeared. I've seen maybe 5 in the last 20 years and only 1 in the past 10 in junkyards.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Yeah, it's weird. As far as it goes taking about it in a Subaru context, the drivetrain is FWD. In terms of the car itself, it is RWD.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Afaik I'd give it a full mid engine rwd. It's not transaxle so no 911 / Ariel etc all on the rear tires.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

It is mid engine, correct. The engine is fully ahead of the rear axle.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's the same configuration as a Boxster/Cayman

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Yes, just confusing terminology because the rear wheels are driven with the front axle output on the transmission.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Going to end up picking up a hoist just to make getting this out easier, with the only problem being this taking up the rear of the vehicle I would use to pick up an engine hoist. I'll need it for donor teardown and kit build anyway, might as well just get it now.

E: this picture makes it look absolutely gargantuan

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I thought that it couldn't be that heavy but google says about 250lbs dry. Dang. I don't think I'd mess with that without at least a helper, either.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

It took three of us to get it into the car. That was mostly because it had the mount on and there's a pallet there, so I was in the hatch lifting the "light" end to get it nestled on the pallet, while the other two guys lifted the bulk of it at the other end.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Based on the sand and concentrated areas of rust, looks like the previous owner of the donor took it on the beach at some point. Stripped the front end, though, and working on extracting the harness. It's almost like they designed it to be installed once and not uninstalled ever.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Completed harness extraction from the donor. Photos show the progression over a few days.

My garage is a loving disaster of car parts, but I have almost everything off the chassis that I need that isn't attached to the front or rear subframes. Dropping those is the next step. There are still a few odds and ends like fuel pump, fuel level sender, and probably some of the miscellaneous electrical stuff that I unplugged from the harness but left on the chassis.

Conservatively, I should have the chassis out of the garage by the end of October, but I'm hopeful to have it out before the end of September. Once I drop the two subframes, I'll need to build a dolly to roll it out on, and then it will sit until the build is far enough along that I'm confident I don't need anything else from it. Then I'll finally have enough room to organize all the poo poo I've taken off of it.

carticket fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 5, 2023

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Covered in rust tonight. Got the drive shaft out. Everything was pretty well rusted (diff cover, bolts on the shaft and the shaft bearing). Glad I picked up a face shield for working on this. Unbolted the steering column while I was under there. Started removing the front suspension brace. Looks like 8 bolts, and I broke free half of them before stopping for the night. It was a bit too hot to keep at it.

E: suspension brace is out. Apparently the parts catalog calls this the "front frame assembly".

carticket fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 7, 2023

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

After dragging my feet on this for a while, I finally dropped the front subframe. The rear of the car is supported by jackstands because the CG is now very far back until I drop the rear subframe.

E: garage is a mess. Something about accumulating parts taken off a car, plus parts going on a car, plus the two chassis takes up lots of space.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

One disassembled car definitely takes up 3 cars of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I stuffed most of the trim in the trunk, the body panels are outside, the interior is filled with things like the heating system, dash is on the roof of the car. I also have two extra cat backs, in addition to what came on the car. A goon helped me out by taking the stock struts/springs off my hands, but I still have what was on the car. And I have a lot of new parts for the build so I now have donor parts that need homes. I really can't wait to wheel the chassis out of the garage and just start organizing.