Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

carticket posted:

I picked up the hatch and some aluminum panels today. Still need to get the headlights. The original owner of the kit had an STi 6 speed he bought for the build, and he offered me a deal I just couldn't refuse provided I come and pick it up (a few hours away). So, I guess I'm going to have a 6 speed now. He has all the Factory Five parts to convert it to FWD. I need to look, as I may need to pick up a different bellcrank for the shifter cables.

An STI 6 speed, and the parts to make it FWD? Surely...AWD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Raluek posted:

when you're putting it in a factory five kit car, presumably the engine is in the rear so a FWD conversion on the trans becomes RWD once the powertrain is relocated

Yeah, re-read the OP:

"the 818 is a mid-engine rear wheel drive kit from Factory five that uses a 2002-2007 Impreza, WRX, or STI car as a donor. The kit includes a tube frame chassis and fiberglass body (plus other bits and bobs). The transmission gets converted to front wheel drive and then shoved in the back of the chassis."

My mind read it as making the car FWD, using a WRX setup.

Captain McAllister fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 7, 2023

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

carticket posted:

Yeah, I'm okay and so is the other driver. This is +3 days from incident. Still got some bruises and airbag burns in one arm, but they did their job. The car would probably make a great rally car. Replace bumper and bumper beam, bang the very front of the frame back straight. The engine bay looked pretty untouched, all four wheels are in the right spot pointing the right way, no fluids lost. I figure a rally car is gonna get beat up anyway! They could plausibly not total it, but 6 airbags deployed (4 curtains, steering wheel, and footwell), and the frame is tweaked where the bumper attached.

Usually any airbag deployment = total. The insurance companies just don't want to deal with the liability. They tend to offer higher #s than what the car is worth, to discourage people buying it back/parting it out.

I have a 2011 WRX that's my baby. I had to get a quote for some minor repair through insurance, and the person I spoke with on the phone said something like "well, due to the age of the vehicle..." and I kind of stopped listening, because a 2011 isn't an old] car to anyone, except maybe insurance companies. I think they'd be happiest if the most people got out of their cars was 5-10 years.

The main thing is, it did its job and you're OK.