Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

shaping up to be a banger, could be one of the meltiest mays of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Dreamcast to me is soul caliber, Tokyo extreme racing, house of the dead 2, pso.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

banger post from 7g as always, heres whats comin out this month (and happy birthday to them!!!):

The 7th Guest posted:

Alright, so May's just about here, here's what's due this month:

Redfall - May 2 - I cannot imagine playing this outside of Gamepass at launch. The game has looked sus since its very first gameplay trailer and I'm bracing for disappointment. While the devs have brought up Far Cry 2 as an influence, it seems more like Borderlands with vampires and theoretical trademark Arkane "multiple approaches". I just don't know.

Age of Wonders 4 - May 2 - Meanwhile the reviews on AoW4 have already come in and have been very positive (84 OC) so this is an easier one to throw on the list. Not really my genre but I know people like their 4X.

Tape to Tape - May 3 - Here's a roguelite type you've not seen before: hockey! Combining the fast tempo of something like NBA Jam (actually there was a hockey equivalent wasn't there?) with the aesthetic of a 3D NHL95, demo reviews were very optimistic/positive.

Ravenlok - May 3 - This one is an Epic exclusive for now but it will be on PC Gamepass I believe. An ARPG by the developer of Echo Generation, Ravenlok uses their gorgeous voxel style to create a large fairy tale world to fight monsters in. The combat in Echo Generation was fine but difficult, we'll see if they strike a better balance here. I don't expect the kindest reviews here but I will probably give it a shot.

Mia & the Dragon Princess - May 4 - The latest FMV game from Wales Interactive is an action story with martial artistry... these are always in the realm of "trashy fun" CYOA games and not award winners, but I'm for Wales continuing to make them.

Cook Serve Forever - May 8 (Early Access) - The fourth game in the CSF series has a much different, slicker aesthetic and seems far more tuned towards controller gameplay (quite a contrast from where the series originally started!)

Darkest Dungeon 2 - May 8 - Prepare to suffer again.

FUGA 2 - May 10 - Prepare for animal children to suffer again.

Far Cry 6 - May 11 - If I include a game in Epic Jail, I should include a game leaving Epic Jail. Here's the one with Giancarlo Esposito. Is it good, bad? IDK they all seem the same to me after 3. Remember when FC5 was like "actually the racists were correct"? Fun times.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - May 12 (Not Steam) - *jay leno voice* Anyone hear about this? Yall hear about this? This one is PC gaming relevant because half of the goons at SA who buy this game will probably be playing it via Yuzu lol

Humanity - May 16 - I've always had a fancy for Lemmings style games but they always tend to be a bit too close to the source material. Humanity looks to be its own unique imprint on the "command people to the exit" genre. Also you are a Shiba Inu. Oh and by the way, it's from Tetsuya Mizuguchi (Rez Infinite, Tetris Effect: Connected). And it has VR support.

Tin Hearts - May 16 - Ex-Fable developers making, let's see here... a Lemming-style puzzle game th--... oh.... oh no. And on the same day, you say? Oops.

Firmament - May 18 - When Cyan returned from the gaming abyss with Obduction, it was well received, and I'd say.. KIND of Myst-like. THIS is some real-rear end Myst lookin adventuring courtesy again of Cyan Worlds, and it will support VR much as Obduction did. The gimmick here is you have a device called an Adjunct that interacts with various devices in the world. Could be the Mystiest modern game since Quern.

I Am Future - May 18 (Early Access) - Described as the coziest post-apocalypse ever, this is an isometric farmy fishy crafty game. The demo was fine but not amazing. I could see it grabbing me like Dysmantle did, except Dysmantle had combat and destruction in it while this does not.

The Outlast Trials - May 18 - Outlast does away with pretending to be any kind of serious horror (which is for the best) and offers a co-op stealth horror experience for up to 4 players.

Lego 2K Drive - May 19 - Maybe the most interesting Lego game since Lego City Undercover or even Islands? Since it's Lego you can of course build your own vehicles and make them crazy, and there's an open world. Just bear in mind that it's 2K and will probably be riddled with microtransactions.

Inkbound - May 22 (Early Access) - I am trying to avoid including roguelites in these going forward unless they offer something interesting/notable to separate them, because there's just too loving many of them. This one is by the dev of Monster Train so that's notable enough to include, I think. Also it's online-only??? I've never seen an MMO roguelite before but maybe there's secretly dozens of them that no one plays.

WH40K: Boltgun - May 23 - Hell yea, now we're talking my language. Boltgun takes the world of WH40K that for some reason has repeatedly been presented in games as being something I should take seriously, and says no, do not take this seriously actually, this is a very silly looking boomer shooter. Did they obviously pixelize 3D assets? Sure. But it still looks neat. And it'll be a finished game, not 'the first episode' and you have to wait 3 years. Which I always encourage.

After Us - May 23 - This was shown at either E3 or Summer Game Fest. I'm not actually sure what it is but it looked neat in the footage at the time. Some sort of story 3d platformer? Unclear. But look at that star weiner dog.

Amnesia: The Bunker - May 23 - I actually liked the third Amnesia game, despite its issues, but neither followup has been as good as the first (nor has the series been as good, IMO, as Penumbra). This is the first Amnesia game to have an open-ish world, but it brings its focus back to keeping the lights on, which was so important in the first game, and enforced in the third but in that one it didn't really make sense. Here it does, you're in the trenches/bunkers of WW1. It's dark! You're facing personal demons probably!

Hot Heat Reset - May 25 - A hyper-fast arcadey game similar to Blitz Breaker where you zip around from edge to edge avoiding traps and collecting the gems to open and reach the exit. Has a prologue demo available.

Bat Boy - May 25 - A Shovel-like by the devs of Super Sami Roll and the Actraiser-inspired Smelter (no not the bad ACE Team one).

Above Snakes - May 25 - A survival farmy fishy crafty game where you place large tiles around your map like Forager. Has a prologue demo available.

LOTR: Gollum - May 25 - ...I truly have no idea who this is for. I don't think even LOTR fans care about this.

Vampire: The Masquerade: Swansong - May 25 - A Telltaley story game in the VTM universe by the developer of stat-checking story game The Council, escaped from Epic Jail. Got mixed reviews in 2022.

Dynopunk - May 25 - A VN about a dinosaur mechanic repairing people's gadgets (OR sabotaging them). I played the prologue (which is still available) and it seemed neat. Sort of a techy take on Coffee Talk/Valhalla.

System Shock Remake - May 30 - Okay. We're nearly here. Again. I've put this on a "it's coming out next month" list before only for it to get pushed back. Will this be the month it hits? It looks like a decent remake though I think the UI is a little odd. With Nightdive acquired by Atari, and Atari acquiring a bunch of old games they will likely be buried in port remasters going forward, so it's gonna be a bittersweet release, I'm sure. But given the dev hell the game's gone through, probably a relief too.

Poly Bridge 3 - May 30 - Where my bridge nerds at? No not... not the card game gently caress. Look at that weird rear end flappy bridge. There's gonna be some weird levels in this one I bet. I figure if you liked the first two you'll like this one.

Farworld Pioneers - May 30 - The rare goon project that makes it not only to completion but even gets main stage billing on Gamepass, Farworld Pioneers is an attempt to do Starbound but better. Will it get there? Well, people were massively disappointed by Starbound so the bar is probably going to be pretty low.

Etrian Odyssey Collection - May 31 - Three very pricey ($40 each) HD remasters that somehow manage to find a way to preserve the all-important map drawing of the series by halving the screen. For some reason the enemy sprites are not 3D like the 3DS remakes had but high res 2D art. And the english font looks bad. But, they're rescued from a dead platform and that's all that matters I guess. Will we see 4, 5 and Nexus as a separate trilogy? Probably. Not anytime soon I would imagine.

Turbo Overkill - May TBA - This is technically not the official 1.0 release but the first half of episode 3 (with the second half coming in July). Turbo Overkill has been highly praised on Steam with some calling it the best retro shooter since Dusk. You have a chainsaw leg. You can move.. quite fast.

Decarnation - May TBA - A highly intriguing indie horror game whose demo really grabbed me when I played it in the Next Fest. No specific day yet but the May date was announced just a month ago.

Vividlope - May TBA - Easily the top demo, however, that I played in the last Next Fest was this gem of an arcade game about painting all the tiles of a stage while avoiding enemies. It has a gorgeous Dreamcast-era aesthetic and music and plays like a dream. Really hyped for this one.

There are many other titles coming out this month which you can see here. I didn't list everything because not everything is to my taste or super notable. Also like I said. Too many roguelites. Too many vampire survivor clones. I'm tired. I'm 39 in 5 minutes. Goodnight lol

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

may i still make a pun on this page

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Thought any Arkane game would be a day 1 purchase for me.... I will not be buying Redfall.

:sigh:

it's on gamepass, so it'll at least be an easy appraisal

considering all the gameplay previews thus far make it look like it's hopping around the same tier as back 4 blood, i'm not enthusiastic over it. it's a shame since i otherwise like the character design, and a cheesier take on a monster slaying multiplayer title seems like it could be fun, but nothing about it inspires a hint of confidence beyond the fact that it's arkane

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

gotta do some ff14 before the weekend ends. im taking the moogles to isengard

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

May the fourth be with you

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm super hooked by Harvestella's story which is a good thing cause the combat is pretty mediocre which is a bummer. but i have started stockpiling JUICE. this is what the internet has told me to do.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Woops, I forgot to play trough Breath of the Wild.
No new Zelda for me for a while then.

Anyway, it's the 1st of May and it's snowing outside. Very normal I'm sure.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

homeless snail posted:

power stone 2 is, the alt fg I wish got popular instead of smash. bangai-o owns, the berserk game on there is good. cannon spike, the, shmup featuring cammy and bb hood. f355 challenge, the racing game featuring, just one type of car, the type of car that yu suzuki owned

all the really good dc games escaped though. shenmue, pso, jet set, rez, all goated.

The 355 owns and if you're going to have a racing game devoted to a single car then it is a good choice

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:

I had my first properly difficult run as a healer WHM doing Cutter's Cry with a tank who was determined to pull trash beyond my line of sight and DPS who kept standing in the fire and it was the first time I really got the appeal of healing as a concept. It felt really great to fire off clutch heals and swiftcast-raises knowing that these idiots would all be a smushed pile of goop without me

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
what's the best power up

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Relax Or DIE posted:

what's the best power up

Invincibility

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
it's May, where is my System Shock

Relax Or DIE posted:

what's the best power up

double damage rune in dota

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Relax Or DIE posted:

what's the best power up

Quad Damage

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

FF14:

I had my first properly difficult run as a healer WHM doing Cutter's Cry with a tank who was determined to pull trash beyond my line of sight and DPS who kept standing in the fire and it was the first time I really got the appeal of healing as a concept. It felt really great to fire off clutch heals and swiftcast-raises knowing that these idiots would all be a smushed pile of goop without me

Did you do the quest to get your free CNJ mount?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did you do the quest to get your free CNJ mount?

What level does it unlock?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

What level does it unlock?

If you have WHM it should be unlocked already, find the yellow quest in the Conjurer's Guild. Do note you actually have to take off your WHM stone to accept it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ahhh I'm pretty sure I've not been back there since I unlocked White Mage oops

e: Ohhh wait that's the Unicorn yeah I've got that

Rarity fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 1, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Actually glad nothing interesting is coming out this month, I've got plenty on my plate to get through in the lead up to FF16

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wondering if I make it to the end of 2.0 content by the end of the month :thunkher:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Been playing some Valkyrie Elysium and it's a super 7/10 experience. The combat and community theatre level acting is pretty much all there is to it, but it's fine. Love the tumblr sexyman "I'm not the real bad guy I swear" sendup of Odin in this game.

One thing all these action games with weapon swap miss though -- the weapon swap itself should be a combo extender, with each type offering a different kind of juggle so that you'd get a different series of finisher if you went spear->axe instead of sword->spear or whatever.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

homeless snail posted:

Hogwarts Legacy (PS4, Xbox One) - May 5 I do not know what this game is.

It's a VN about teens learning to accept that they were born with swine papilloma virus

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rarity posted:

Wondering if I make it to the end of 2.0 content by the end of the month :thunkher:
can't believe this is not :msthunk:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Relax Or DIE posted:

what's the best power up

No-one has said the tanuki suit, so I must.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm possibly more excited for Darkest Dungeon 2 than I am for Zelda. It's gonna be tough having those two come out so close to each other.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Relax Or DIE posted:

what's the best power up

double jump

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
No way fake gamer Billy Mitchell got more votes than real king Steve Wiebe.

That whole poll is suspect. Sorry Lanky.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Far too long has our society mocked Steve Wiebe. He is at most a Steve Connoisseur.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Relax Or DIE posted:

what's the best power up
the cherry in mario 3D world that duplicates your character

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

haha what posted:

i never owned a dreamcast and have somehow never played a dreamcast game (emulated or otherwise) except for 20 minutes of rayman 2 (ive played some dc games that got ported to other systems like shenmue and uh, probably other stuff. sonic i guess?)

what are some of everybodys favs so i can get a list goin

Look I know you've mentioned disliking fighting games but I'd still recommend Soulcalibur just for its Mission Battle mode. You move around a map completing missions (fights against the CPU generally with some sort of gimmick or conditions) and unlock points which you can then use to unlock cool concept art, character costumes/weapons/bio stuff, music tracks etc. It's also early enough in the Soulcalibur series that the story hasn't gone to complete poo poo yet and is mostly a fun alternate-history-with-a-little-magic setting. You can unlock stuff like videos of the characters performing weapon kata, which is the kind of completely unnecessary but captivating unlockable that I wish more games had.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I think only 1 game this month interests me

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

VideoGames posted:

No way fake gamer Billy Mitchell got more votes than real king Steve Wiebe.

That whole poll is suspect. Sorry Lanky.

this is what we get for allowing voting from home

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

this is what we get for allowing voting from home

That's it folks, everyone has to go back to posting from the office

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rarity posted:

That's it folks, everyone has to go back to posting from the office

Finally. I'm so lonely at the office.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Noise peering over our shoulders making sure we hit our gaming quotas

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

(Oddly holding controller) Hey I just gotta tighten up these graphics on level 3!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

posting

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

homeless snail posted:

Redfall (PC, XSX/S) - May 2 I do not know what this game is.

No one does OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
getting absolutely zelded