Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Picked this up a couple of days ago on the advice of the generic fg thread (they actually said to try granblue but w/e) and it's the most fun I've had with a fighting game. Modern controls are amazing, I can actually do things and don't get super demoralised by how far off I am being able to do or understand basic combos. Have been playing Ryu in ranked and having a blast, there are plenty of players in Iron and I'm rising/learning a lot.

The combo trials are handy but I would like a guitar hero like helper for some of them, I tried Honda for a bit but just couldn't work out the timings for the life of me, even watching the demonstration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

distortion park posted:

Picked this up a couple of days ago on the advice of the generic fg thread (they actually said to try granblue but w/e) and it's the most fun I've had with a fighting game. Modern controls are amazing, I can actually do things and don't get super demoralised by how far off I am being able to do or understand basic combos. Have been playing Ryu in ranked and having a blast, there are plenty of players in Iron and I'm rising/learning a lot.

The combo trials are handy but I would like a guitar hero like helper for some of them, I tried Honda for a bit but just couldn't work out the timings for the life of me, even watching the demonstration.

Welcome!

If your heart thinks Honda is cool it would be worth trying to figure him out at some point. I think the number you have to hold for charge is 45 frames. If you turn on inputs in training mode you can hold down back look at the live inputs and do the input after you see it go past 45 frames. If you join the discord I’m sure we’d be able to help you.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

JackDarko posted:

Welcome!

If your heart thinks Honda is cool it would be worth trying to figure him out at some point. I think the number you have to hold for charge is 45 frames. If you turn on inputs in training mode you can hold down back look at the live inputs and do the input after you see it go past 45 frames. If you join the discord I’m sure we’d be able to help you.

I jumped through characters for a bit before settling on Ryu, would definitely like to try Honda (and Manon) again, both have fun aesthetics

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

distortion park posted:

Yeah modern controls are a godsend for anyone who is interested in these games but hasn't been marinating in the arcane legacy configurations of movements that have been baked in since the 80s, I'm really glad you're finding them to your liking!

Keep doing the combo trials. Try them for multiple people. Go through the character tutorials. Play some rounds, wait some days, then go through them again. There's a lot of stuff in this game that you have to roll around in your brain until it clicks, and then once it clicks, you have it and it will have seemed stupidly obvious in hindsight. If you're really having trouble with a trial, look up some YouTube videos of expert players breaking them down. It can help a lot.

See you in the streets!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I know Honda's normals, what they're for, some Drive Rush cancels, combos outside of the autos, etc. plat. I have no loving idea what Marisa is or does. Also plat.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
holy poo poo the akuma designs killed me

https://twitter.com/takaNakayama/status/1777147662732825041

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Just to head everyone off, in the same thread:

https://twitter.com/takaNakayama/status/1777149511653298344

Having said that, while they don't seem to be Outfit 3 designs, I hope that they are still potential future outfits. I am very down for Balding Office Worker Akuma (all the Akuma outfits are great) and Gas Mask AKI.

While I can't see them changing AKI's hair style too much (much less to long black hair), I wouldn't mind AKI in FANG's robes

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Give Akuma a Kyoko costume design to go with his Hideo and Hayato outfits you cowards

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

SlimGoodbody posted:

Yeah modern controls are a godsend for anyone who is interested in these games but hasn't been marinating in the arcane legacy configurations of movements that have been baked in since the 80s, I'm really glad you're finding them to your liking!

Keep doing the combo trials. Try them for multiple people. Go through the character tutorials. Play some rounds, wait some days, then go through them again. There's a lot of stuff in this game that you have to roll around in your brain until it clicks, and then once it clicks, you have it and it will have seemed stupidly obvious in hindsight. If you're really having trouble with a trial, look up some YouTube videos of expert players breaking them down. It can help a lot.

See you in the streets!

I eventually worked out the charge timings when watching the blanka combo trial demonstrations some more - you're meant to crouch/back for a bit to charge before starting your combo, you can then release the crouch but the back is still charged! I even managed to incorporate this into my gameplay

Made it through iron into bronze. A few thoughts (idk if these are interesting or not to people that play at way higher levels:
* In iron most players were probably just button mashing like me
* It's noticeable that most bronze players are much better at like 1 thing. Some of them will counter your drive impacts most of the time, others will antiair you if you jump on them, etc (i don't do any of these consistently so i'm not rising fast)
* I'm learning that a lot of my instinctual button mashes aren't good at all. e.g. I've got into the habit of doing crouching light - light - special arced blanka ball but if they're blocking the whole time they can just wreck me afterwards

Overall I think I need to calm down on my inputs a bit and not just click repeatedly whatever I'm trying to do. I managed to learn to do this in souls games (mostly was forced to by fume knight etc.) but the faster pace of sf gets to me. Absolutely loving the learning and discovering process, I just hope I can get to the stage where it's understandable and not absurdly fast. It feels great managing to counter DI on reaction, something I'm just starting to do.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Also the costume/DLC/fighter pass setup feels not so much extortionate as really badly designed compared to other "live service" games - it's just the normal "packs of 4 but everything costs 5" thing with really limited costumes/colours. Weird how they aren't going hard on that as others are for cosmetics.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's basically no reason to do blanka ball ender over lightning. The latter is safe on block.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Getting good at light confirms will come as you play more.

I'll bet if you get good at Blanka's AA combos you'll annihilate everyone up until platinum. And when you're not AAing, Ball is Life.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Johnny Landmine posted:

Give Akuma a Kyoko costume design to go with his Hideo and Hayato outfits you cowards

:hmmyes:

distortion park posted:

Also the costume/DLC/fighter pass setup feels not so much extortionate as really badly designed compared to other "live service" games - it's just the normal "packs of 4 but everything costs 5" thing with really limited costumes/colours. Weird how they aren't going hard on that as others are for cosmetics.

Hell, it's worse than SFV's system.

Just the way they space out Fighter Passes is really weird to me. New ones start on the 1st of every month, which, sure, makes sense, but they only run until the 22nd, which leaves over a week where there's... nothing. No new pass to work on, just the same dailies you get every day and maybe an Avatar Battle reward for that weekend, but that's it. I'm no fan of a battle pass to begin with and the FP rewards are poo poo, but if you're going to commit to doing it. either have it run to the end of the month or have a new pass ready to go and minimize the downtime. If the purpose is to incentivize people to play more, then there shouldn't be a week where there's nothing to do

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

distortion park posted:

Overall I think I need to calm down on my inputs a bit and not just click repeatedly whatever I'm trying to do. I managed to learn to do this in souls games (mostly was forced to by fume knight etc.) but the faster pace of sf gets to me. Absolutely loving the learning and discovering process, I just hope I can get to the stage where it's understandable and not absurdly fast. It feels great managing to counter DI on reaction, something I'm just starting to do.

Something this thread mentions frequently, and for good reason, is mental stack/cognitive load. When you're first starting, there's a million things to think of and notice and decide how you want to respond to. After a while, you start to organically bake in the realization that, say, doing X jumping move in Y situation almost always gets you punished, so you naturally start to shift away from using it in that circumstance. You realize A move is a really successful hard counter to B tactic, so you start to automatically incorporate it.

Over a long enough timeline, a bunch of things that started as decisions turn into reflexive reactions. You're no longer playing that moment, because that moment was solved 3 frames into you realizing what happened. You're playing the next five seconds, and the decisions you're making are about which response tree you're going to branch down based on how they react to you. It's very similar to Dark Souls in that way, where if you're reacting to the present and not setting up an imminent breakout, you're already on the back foot and thus already losing.

Mechanical movements, common reprisals, successful openers will all become automatic, and so your decision making brain can handle greater and greater complexity as you go from the decision tree of thinking about individual button presses and timings to execute moves to thinking in terms of "reverse this with wake up into corner carry, keep pressure, next decision I actually have to make is whether I think they're going to take the DI bait in the corner 4 seconds from now."

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

distortion park posted:

Made it through iron into bronze. A few thoughts (idk if these are interesting or not to people that play at way higher levels:
* It's noticeable that most bronze players are much better at like 1 thing. Some of them will counter your drive impacts most of the time, others will antiair you if you jump on them, etc (i don't do any of these consistently so i'm not rising fast)

This is actually the case at every tier of play. Every Tier of ranked will have people doing one(1) more thing than they did at the last tier. Bronze is probably the last Wild West tier, only because like you said, everyone only need to do one thing well to succeed. But when you move up to Silver people are blocking better. Gold is starting to anti-air/counter-DI consistently. Platinum is the biggest increase where people start to put everything together and execute well, but the most notable change is people use Drive Rush effectively instead of badly. Early diamond sees players starting to convert hits into big damage, and late diamond sees okizeme being a real thing instead of just pressing buttons.

Holding downback and just doing stuff(anti-air, counter-di, light strings) on reaction will put you at pretty much platinum. Much easier said than done, I know, but you'll get there eventually.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Japan: "We simply chose the top tiers, we're here to win."
Rest of the World: "WE LOVE RYU! WE LOVE RYU!"

also kinda strange how much more popular SF6 is in France than in Germany, despite Germany having a bigger population.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 9, 2024

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Germans could just be way worse at the game.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
They're just waiting for Hugo in Season 2

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

They're too busy getting really excited about getting to do fascism again but without being accused of anti-Semitism this time, they don't have time for der streetzenfighten

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

So... Falke rather than Hugo

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

SlimGoodbody posted:

They're too busy getting really excited about getting to do fascism again but without being accused of anti-Semitism this time, they don't have time for der streetzenfighten

Why would you say that?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

:kimchi:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I opened one of the in-game mails and the game went "there was a Rental Token in here but since you already have 10 we discarded it for you, you're welcome."

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

I pointed this out to a friend and yeah it rules. :allears:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Genuinely what is wrong with your brain

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Been messing around with Kimberly since it's her birthday week, and man it really feels like that she should have been a better character than she is. She's got so much cool poo poo, but she feels so dependent on gimmicks to get anything done. I'm enjoying her at the moment, but I think I would get frustrated with her fast if I decided to main her

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Yeah they probably over-nerfed her when they took away her OD reversal. No way is Kimberly with a reversal better than the current top tiers. It's a shame because she's my favorite rushdown character.

Hopefully they give it back in the next big patch.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Iron/Bronze is absolutely full of Juri, Cammy, and Ed. Feels unusual to get a match against anyone else.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

distortion park posted:

Iron/Bronze is absolutely full of Juri, Cammy, and Ed. Feels unusual to get a match against anyone else.

Capcom posted character Usage/Balance stats today.
https://www.streetfighter.com/6/buckler/stats/usagerate

Looks like you're not alone on that front, except you're missing Kens. But don't worry. They're coming.

We love our waifu characters don't we folks?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I did have a set with a Dee Jay and got thoroughly thrashed. I was trying to antiair with Chuns upwards spinning kicks (special + forwards in Modern) and his air kicks seemed to just beat me every time. The angle looked good for me so I didn't really get it.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I'd give advice but Dee Jay is my worst matchup by far.

It's like "React to the green - react to the green - react to the gree-AH! He got me."

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Trillhouse posted:

We love our waifu characters don't we folks?

*Laughs in Marisa*

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

Yeah they probably over-nerfed her when they took away her OD reversal. No way is Kimberly with a reversal better than the current top tiers. It's a shame because she's my favorite rushdown character.

Hopefully they give it back in the next big patch.

Yeah, she didn't get anything in the last patch, right? She feels primed for a major retooling.

I don't think every character needs to be able to DR/combo off of cr.MK, but maybe she does? idk, I don't have enough time with her yet.

Breetai posted:

*Laughs in AKI, creeping everyone out*

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Trillhouse posted:

It's like "React to the green - react to the green - react to the gree-AH! He got me."

Whenever I come across a Dee Jay who plays like a turtle I almost feel like they're trolling.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Trillhouse posted:

I main DeeJay (at Diamond 3) and here are some anti-deejay strats. DeeJay is a top tier so you are just simply gonna have a bad time, sorry. But you have some advantages!

The main one is DeeJay has slow walk speed. If you are both wiggling at mid trying to get into your perfect poking range, most characters will win this because of DeeJay's slow base walk speed. This means your best bet to beat him is footsies. We will base our entire anti-DJ game around this one fact.

DeeJay has no long-range cancellable footsies. The best he got is c.MP which is stubbier than most c.MK type moves, has kinda slow startup, and Does Not Hit Low!!! All his other pokes are noncancellable and lose hard to DI, this is also true for all his specials.

This all means your best bet to beat DeeJay is just walk forward and play footsies. Even Lily and Kimberly have better footsies than DeeJay, and even Gief's base buttons have more utility. So the range just past his cMP range is the only place where DeeJay is at a clear disadvantage at all characters.

For this reason DeeJay NEEDS NEEDS ABSOLUTELY LIFESUPPORTINGLY NEEEEDS his Drive Bar, so he can Drive Rush in.

DeeJay has safe jump and shimmy setups for days from every single one of his knockdowns, so being cornered and burned out vs Dee Jay is Very Bad.

OTOH, DeeJay's lvl1 super loses to DI, which means every character in the game has a guaranteed 100% safe DI wall splat vs a burned out cornered DeeJay without LV2 super. Learn it like the back of your hand, abuse it like the cheapest most annoying loving troll you can imagine. I steal back so many games I should have won because opponents who corner and burn me out start doing their madcatz supercool shimmys and other cool poo poo on my wakeup instead of Just loving HP xx DI (or whatever you char's guaranteed wall splat is) And Close The God drat Game. I have no answer to this! None! Just swallow your pride and steal the drat game!!! THIS IS YOUR WIN CONDITION!! KNOW HOW TO STEAL THE GUARANTEED WIN HERE!! You don't need to be smart here, you don't need to play mind games, it doesn't matter if he knows exactly what you are gonna do, it doesn't matter if it feels cheap AF, it doesn't matter if he starts eating the HP hit to avoid the wall splat from DI, do not mix in any god damned throws or vary up the normal you are using or mixing up the timing you god damned idiot, it doesn't matter if the whole world is watching and laughing at the clown fiesta unfolding, just repeat HP xx DI for ever and ever until he is out of burnout or is dead.

If he starts doing cMP xx DR, loving let him and just block it and watch him blow up his own drive bar. Good move DJ!

So in summary, walk forward, play footsies, save your drive meter, only cMK xx DR if you are full on drive bar, let him burn himself out and corner him, do not burn yourself out and get cornered, this is your best overall strat vs DeeJay.

Sooo you're playing vs DeeJay and egads, DeeJay jumped in on you and you blocked his jumpin attack, what ever shall we do now. Well it is good to know in this situation that Dee Jay has NO, ---NO---, easily hit confirmable normal into good damage that does not lose momentum on block. DeeJay MUST risk losing momentum (being - on block), or opt for low damage or bar wasting poo poo like c.LP spam into stuff or into DR for the easy hit confirm. So what to do in this situation is just block, and poke back. If he does sMP, this is safe on block but his only followup is lights. If you see this, or jabs, block. Anything else, counter poke with lights. His only answer is EX upkicks and throws.

If he starts doing his bHK double-hitting upwards kick, this is a hit confirmable move and great for blowing up DI and a lot of poo poo, but on block he will either lose momentum or need to take a gamble on fireball feint (-6 on block), or sway (which has a big opening, jab him) or other risky poo poo, even his fireballs will lose to DI, basically whenever you see this move DeeJay just rolled a big dice hoping for a big play and has no fully safe followup.

If DeeJay starts knee hopping, well congrats you encountered a decent DeeJay and welcome to hell. This move is like straight outta KoF and leads into good damage on hit, no other SF6 char has anything like this. It beats DI too and evades most grounded normals and most/all footsies. So why don't you see it all the time in pro matcfhes? Well it is also 31 frames startup, which is 6 frames slower than DI. You can and should react to this move with a good AA normal, every time. It also does not cross up so another good answer to a badly spaced (too close) one is just walk under it. Otherwise, he should and will start abusing it if you are not checking it consistently. There is no trick here, it is just get good and react in time.

DeeJay has multiple strong antiairs so your first instinct is not to jump in on him. However his fireballs have slow recovery so if he is throwing those, try to read them and jump in. He has a hard time doing combos off his AAs so you need 1 good jumpin read into good combo out of 4 jumpins for the damage to work out in your favor. Take the risk and don't let him chuck plasma unrestrained.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 11, 2024

Exo-
Dec 8, 2021

Sometimes one of your worst matchups is... you.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

don't trust anyone, not even your main

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The mirror has always been 60/40 against me..

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Exo- posted:

Sometimes one of your worst matchups is... you.

Manons never fail to trick me with the exact same gimmicks I use against other people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I started playing SF in earnest about 18 months ago (weirdly I came to SFV right at the end of its life) and just hit Diamond with Guile in SF6. Frankly, I am shocked I made it this far. I guess I might even be able to make it to master if I keep going.

How much does the low end of Master intersect with Diamond? IIRC you can't rank down back to Diamond from Master, so I suppose the two must overlap.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 12, 2024