Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exo-
Dec 8, 2021

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I started playing SF in earnest about 18 months ago (weirdly I came to SFV right at the end of its life) and just hit Diamond with Guile in SF6. Frankly, I am shocked I made it this far. I guess I might even be able to make it to master if I keep going.

How much does the low end of Master intersect with Diamond? IIRC you can't rank down back to Diamond from Master, so I suppose the two must overlap.

Master and MR are the second layer of ranked, and skill level will vary a lot once you first get into it because everyone starts at 1500MR. I wouldn't worry about opponent skill too much, maybe just be prepared to get beat up a bit at the beginning as you naturally flow into your proper MR rank because that's just how it works. Every sort-of-dedicated Diamond player eventually makes it to Master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What can I do to better understand tick throws, how to combat them, and how to find them on the characters I play? Luke players keep eating my lunch with a jumpin and throw while I'm still in blockstun.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Manons never fail to trick me with the exact same gimmicks I use against other people

The JP vs JP mirror is both of us going "Okay so we both know exactly what to do against our own bullshit so now we have to do weird poo poo to win" and you have two master ranked JP players doing stupid poo poo like Drive Rush into stopping short and throwing out a command grab.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
If you are +2-4 and in range a throw beats any normal the enemy could put out so they have to do something throw invulnerable like a reversal or backdash, jump which is also throw invulnerable but can be punished, or teching the throw.

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What can I do to better understand tick throws, how to combat them, and how to find them on the characters I play? Luke players keep eating my lunch with a jumpin and throw while I'm still in blockstun.

Tick throws are when you attempt a throw on an opponent when you have frame advantage (+1 thru +4). So if your opponent presses a 4 Frame button or blocks they eat a throw. If you have too much frame advantage (greater than +5 i think) your oponent remains in blockstun and you whiff the throw like an idiot. Throw techs are a guess and it is easy to get thrown during your opponents offensive pressure.

The best answer for your highlighted situation is to anti-air to avoid the strike/throw mix.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvWe19u8G4s

I feel bad for Zangief, he got so many interactions he loses in a non-intuitive way

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I started playing SF in earnest about 18 months ago (weirdly I came to SFV right at the end of its life) and just hit Diamond with Guile in SF6. Frankly, I am shocked I made it this far. I guess I might even be able to make it to master if I keep going.

How much does the low end of Master intersect with Diamond? IIRC you can't rank down back to Diamond from Master, so I suppose the two must overlap.

I’m in diamond 5 and have had a few matches against masters but the vast majority of matches are D4 and D5. It doesn’t seem to take in account how good the master is though - one of the matches was against a legend ranked player and it did not go well.

Master games are cool though because though you will likely get washed, if you do win you get several hundred LP

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Symbolic Butt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvWe19u8G4s

I feel bad for Zangief, he got so many interactions he loses in a non-intuitive way

Its actually pretty intuitive for me at this point: If it's an interaction where he could lose, he loses. Although, even still against blanka I don't know when I can grab him. Ex SPD often whiffs point blank and after watching replays I can't work out why.

Oh, don't want to sound like I'm whining though, it's still very fun and I feel like with only a 'tiny' concession to him being able to press buttons ok, he'd become totally OP.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Blanka's always annoying but especially as a grappler. His EX upball puts him out of range against Manon's command grabs except (I think) EX when it whiffs so I usually just walk up and throw. It's also really stupid that he still gets backwards momentum on Blanka ball when you perfect parry it, meaning I gotta spend drive gauge just for a heavily scaled punish.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I think his superbad kicks-only parry clearly shows why gief is like he is in SF6, they wanted to make him have to guess and read more than other characters, but get bigger payoffs for it. It just didn't turn out well this time.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/CatCammy6/status/1779271387116720261

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Surprised there's so many one-and-dones against "normal" characters. Would have thought Honda would be higher given my own experience.

Edit: Also surprised that Dee Jay is at the bottom. How many people are getting waxed by Dee Jay and thinking "yes, this was a fair fight"

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
people like matchups they're familiar with, and i think deej is mostly tolerated b/c he doesn't have poo poo like cr.mk DR lol

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Surprised there's so many one-and-dones against "normal" characters. Would have thought Honda would be higher given my own experience.

Edit: Also surprised that Dee Jay is at the bottom. How many people are getting waxed by Dee Jay and thinking "yes, this was a fair fight"

i think at the top 4k MR people aren't really afraid of Honda anymore. He kinda just dies against people that know how to perfect parry.

I used to hate fighting Dhalsims until I heard someone say "all they do is wait and try to teleport in, if you hard read the teleport and check it every time they melt" and you know what? It turned out to be true.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Trillhouse posted:

i think at the top 4k MR people aren't really afraid of Honda anymore. He kinda just dies against people that know how to perfect parry.

I used to hate fighting Dhalsims until I heard someone say "all they do is wait and try to teleport in, if you hard read the teleport and check it every time they melt" and you know what? It turned out to be true.

Oh I missed it was top 4k entirely. Yeah, that makes sense.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Honestly I've noticed that Dee Jay is the character I consistently have the most fun fighting against overall for some reason, so I get it

E: neither I nor my opponents are anywhere near the top 4,000 though

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Dee Jay is a hard fight but not a bullshit fight. A good Honda is just a bullshit knowledge check fight, but all of DJs tricks are at least obvious how to beat.

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.
I kinda feel like sway is bullshit/needs scaling

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I think people might be overstating just how important the general population considers playing the runback. I know it's something that parts of the fgc have extremely strong opinions on but I'd be surprised if the majority of the player base would prioritise playing it out vs moving on if they didn't fancy it for whatever reason.

Those stats are so close across each character that the differences are essentially meaningless.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I play the full set to gauge whether I'm having an off day or not. Learning to adapt to your opponent's playstyle is an important skill that helps you not to play too predictably, and it helps to know how to deal with annoying unga/random opponents too. If I go 0-2 twice in a row I know it's time to quit ranked for the day and run casual sets or do some training drills instead.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Tips on Honda vs. Ed? I feel like I face all Ed all the time, but I also don't get to learn a lot from individual players because so many one-and-done. I'm treading water but probably like 4-6 on the matchup. He has good antiairs, can accidentally blow through DIs without using his own, and Flicker feels like it absolutely owns the range I like to keep things until I can bully them into the corner.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

If you post a couple replays i can take a look at them. I'm not sure how much help I'll be because I don't play honda and rarely run into other Hondas in ranked.

In general, my strategy vs Ed is crouch block and look for things to DI. He doesn't have any overheads so crouch blocking is safe. Psycho Flicker is vulnerable to DI (they can't counter DI), including the OD version, but the timing is tight. Just look for purple poo poo around his hands, or a yellow flash. Good Eds will start to dash out of the flicker windup once you start DIing it, but even that has the knock on effect of taking one of their core tools away.

You can also DI his charge heavy punch that flashes him across the screen.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

EX headbutt should plain beat all his options from flicker stance right?

Also abusing butt slam startup on his wakeup I think should work surprisingly well since all his reversal options should be too slow to hit honda before hes up in the air.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/Sajam/status/1779691390362075457

I thought this was a pretty interesting little thought from Sajam

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I've landed on that tactic for blowing up a lot of players online. If they MK xx DR a lot, I literally just walk into their range and crouch block, and them gently caress themselves up like that.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Trillhouse posted:

https://twitter.com/Sajam/status/1779691390362075457

I thought this was a pretty interesting little thought from Sajam

I think it's a good idea to highlight bad use of meter. Bad meter use can cost you a round just as much as a whiffed move, it should be pointed out more

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
The very last round of Capcom Cup also has a good example, which I think Sajam also went over but I can't find his video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DbJcZXq-qo&t=1199s

(timestamped)

Uma does a punishable OD Ankensatsu, Chris Wong punishes with a big damage combo that includes a drive rush cancel extension into level 3. Chris Wong doesn't burn himself out but he gets really low. The recharge during level 3 helps swing drive gauge in his favor, but he's still below half after the super, and Uma is not burnt. This is low enough that Uma's perfect parry into level 2 into DI burns him out, and now he's in the corner, burnt out, with no super, against a Juri that's in install with drive gauge. He's hosed.

Drive rush extensions are powerful—they get you access to the big damage, but I think they're expensive enough with a resource that also constitutes a good part of your defenses (parry, counter-DI, having normal blockstun frame data instead of the +4 burnout blockstun) that they can be punished if you dig too deep.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
I decided to take a break from AKI, so I'm back to playing Marisa, and man does it feel like I've taken the weighted gear off.

Marisa's so much more shallow of a character, but she knows exactly what she wants to do

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

and what she wants to do is demolish has-been streamers.

https://twitter.com/Poems_Future/status/1781533748493770999

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
lol Blanka's one of the best characters in the game what the gently caress are you talking about phil.

Really, the worst thing about that clip is that he's Master rank and I'm not

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Shinji2015 posted:

Really, the worst thing about that clip is that he's Master rank and I'm not

you should be proud of not being a massive manbaby imo

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I don't think I'll hit Master before the Akuma flood at this rate. For the last few days I've hit Diamond 3 and then get beat back down to 2. Usually I end the day with about the same points as when I started. I really need to set a timer and cap my sessions at like an hour a day because I tend to keep playing even after my brain turns to jelly. It's weird to have a game be so addictive but also so mentally exhausting.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I want to hunker down and get Gief to master before Akuma drops because that’ll probably be a nightmare matchup.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Symbolic Butt posted:

DSP is a pretty unique manbaby. The lord of the poo poo-filled diaper wearers. The king of komplaining.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

But what if embracing my inner pissbaby is what it takes to hit Master???

no, not worth it

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Works for me, almost have 3 masters.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I don't think I'll hit Master before the Akuma flood at this rate. For the last few days I've hit Diamond 3 and then get beat back down to 2. Usually I end the day with about the same points as when I started. I really need to set a timer and cap my sessions at like an hour a day because I tend to keep playing even after my brain turns to jelly. It's weird to have a game be so addictive but also so mentally exhausting.

Start postin' replays. In my limited experience(just 3 master characters), the difference between Diamond 2 and Master is just a couple of reasonable changes and then the actual grinding necessary to gain the points, that's it. If you're that close, you're a couple of good replay-analysis away from being Master.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Vincent Valentine posted:

Start postin' replays. In my limited experience(just 3 master characters), the difference between Diamond 2 and Master is just a couple of reasonable changes and then the actual grinding necessary to gain the points, that's it. If you're that close, you're a couple of good replay-analysis away from being Master.

True, I haven't actually watched my replays in a few weeks. Maybe I'll post some after today's session. I wonder if you can just upload the matches stored on CFN directly to YouTube?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

MeatwadIsGod posted:

True, I haven't actually watched my replays in a few weeks. Maybe I'll post some after today's session. I wonder if you can just upload the matches stored on CFN directly to YouTube?

You still have to play them out. The "stored matches" for replays are basically just text files with inputs in them. You can just post the code and we can look them up, or username and we can search that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone know any good pads with a six-button face and hall-effect sticks? I feel more and more like a pad is natural for me, but shoulder buttons for normals is grimy as hell and I'm kind of stuck only doing modern with that.

Also, in good news: A Ken teabagged me so I 2-0'd him back down to gold.