Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Mayn event are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs Jailton Almeida 3 10.71%
Raquel Pennington vs Irene Aldana 2 1 3.57%
Gegard Mousasi vs Fabian Edwards 1 3.57%
Anything that isn't any of those fights 23 82.14%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
:siren: b league preview :siren:

i decided to eschew the more rote, dry recitation of stats and records (partly because i was getting bored doing it) and just went with a purely vibes approach

ONE Fight Night 10 - Friday, May 5

Main Card - 8 PM ET, Amazon Prime

Bantamweight Title - Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson vs Adriano “Mikinho” Moraes

DJ is real cool and good, but I’ve seen one or two rumors flopping around that he might call it a career after this fight. Previously, he’d said he had a few more years/fights left in him, but maybe as this bout approached he reevaluated things. Or maybe it’s just fake internet whispers that don’t amount to anything.

Moraes is fairly large for the division, and he’s very good as well. He might want to use his size on the ground against DJ since I think Johnson was starting to get some good reads on him before the finish came.

This should be a great fight, which of course means it will end inside 90 seconds due to a simultaneous double head clash and groin strikes.

Bantamweight Title (Muay Thai) - Rodtang “The Ironman” Jitmuangnon vs Edgar Juarez Tabares

RODTANG. He hasn’t consistently made it inside the cage recently, but when he does fight, he’s still dangerous and scary.

I know nothing about this guy Tabares.

RODTANG!

Bantamweight Title (Grappling) - Mikey “Darth Rigatoni” Muscumeci vs Osamah Almarwai

Muscumeci is a little grapple nerd but he’s real good at grapples. He’s faced a few guys who aren’t pure grapplers, but MMA guys who also grapple, so the lack of legal striking might have hampered them a bit.

I don’t know diddly squirt about this guy.

Mikey’s probably going to win again.

Strawweight - Stamp Fairtex vs Alyse “Lil Savage” Anderson

Stamp is a multi-sport star, competing in Muay Thai, kickboxing, and MMA. She’s obviously a very solid striker, but she’s also fairly competent on the ground. It’s not like she just gets taken down instantly and is submitted with ease.

Anderson had a brief stint in Invicta a few years back, but I don’t recall anything truly memorable about her run there. She’s been in ONE for a bit, losing to the mighty Android 17.

As with most things in life, I must put all my faith in Stamp Fairtex and the Stamp Dance.

Middleweight - Roberto “Robocop” Soldic vs Zebaztian “The Bandit” Kadestam

Soldic had a ton of signing hype when he went to ONE. He’s a former KSW champ and knocks out most of his opponents. Then he got in the ONE Circle and the fight ended in 3 minutes due to a penis attack. The aristocrats!

Kadestam also punches most of his foes to oblivion. However, it should be noted he does have a TKO loss to Ben Askren, which is most shameful.

Gotta send a Robocop to catch a Bandit, baby!

Welterweight - “Super” Sage Northcutt vs Ahmed “Wolverine” Mujtaba

Sage is a sweet boy himbo human golden retriever who has never had a negative thought enter his empty, empty head (Made even more empty when Cosmo Alexandre shattered his skull a few years back).

Mujtaba is a grappleman from Pakistan.

Good news for Sage: this guy is unlikely to break any more of his face bones. Bad news for Sage: he has struggled against grapplemen. Uh oh, Spaghetti-Os!

Light Heavyweight - Aung “The Burmese Python” La N Sang vs Rong “King Kong Warrior” Fan

La N Sang hits things hard until they break. One of the first things that always pops into my head when I think about Aung La N Sang (Right after I have to remember it’s not Auld Lang Syne), is a fight he had with Ken Hasegawa, and his body kicks made an enormous bruise on Ken’s side, and then later, Ken posted a picture from the hospital of the big jug of blood that had to be drained from his punctured lung. Super fuckin gnarly!

Fan is mostly a grappler, and has lost mostly to grapplers, which is always kind of interesting. There isn’t as much of a risk of that in this fight, which is good, but Fan’s faced a lot of severely undermatched opponents. Eight of his last 16 opponents have been somewhere in the neighborhood of 0-0 to 1-3.

La N Sang is probably going to hit Fan very, very hard.

Light Heavyweight (Grappling) - Reinier “The Dutch Knight” de Ridder vs Tye Ruotulo

De Ridder got his face punched by a large Russian man and lost one title so now he doesn’t want to get face punched again.

Ruotulo normally competes somewhere in the 175 - 180 lb range, so I’m sure it’s fine that he’s going up about 25 pounds.

Flyweight (Muay Thai) - Jackie Buntan vs Diandra Martin

Both fighters have lost to Actual Child Smilla Sundell. Where is Smilla Sundell? Why has she not fought since last year? Is it because she’s in school? I bet it’s because she’s in school.

Anyway, Muay Thai is cool, this fight should be neat.

Prelim Card - 7 PM ET, Amazon Prime

Bantamweight - Kairat “The Kazakh” Akhmetov vs Reece “Lightning” McLaren

This is a rematch from 2019 that I’m sure I never saw. Akhmetov took a decision then, and based on what each man has done in the intervening years (Akhmetov 3-0, all by decision. McLaren 4-2, 2 TKO, 2 submissions), I could easily see the argument for another Akhmetov win. He beat guys that McLaren lost to, he’s been active but not running himself ragged, and he’s still a solid fighter. McLaren is more dynamic, based on finishes, but the names on his record aren’t as eye popping.

Welterweight - Lowen Tynanes vs Rae Yoon Ok

Ok Rae Yoon would probably still be champ if his first defense was against anyone other than Christian Lee. He had Lee hurt early but somehow the TKO didn’t get called and Rae Yoon got a little tuckered out and then finished in the second. Now he’s curtain jerking. Weird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

vibe-check MMA writing is good MMA writing but I've also been concerned about mighty mouse being all 'ehh, maybe i'll retire' right before a fight with a dude what knocked him out

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

CarlCX posted:

I feel like the UFC's starting to get to the point where the ability to turn it off is starting to feel just as weird as my leaving it on all the time has always felt to me. Dana White uses the press conferences to talk about how bad being woke is, Holly Holm wins a fight and goes on about the groomer problem, Jon Anik randomly shouts out Ron DeSantis on commentary, the UFC takes time out of its broadcast to hold a Donald Trump party and every subsequent fighter grovels at him, I dunno, man. It used to just be 'are you the kind of person who isn't so online to know/doesn't care that Bryce Mitchell thinks the Earth is flat' but the programming itself is more and more often used as a platform to talk about this poo poo and it seems like switching it off must be harder than ever.

yeah i agree, though i've just tuned everything other than the fights out and not being american probably helps because i usually just watch the fights on sunday morning and fast forward through everything that's not a fight and watch nothing else, i stopped going on twitter because it just makes me mad, and idk who ron desantis is (deranged republican politican/news guy/influencer/christian genocidal bigot, at least 2 out of these, i'm guessing).

CarlCX posted:

vibe-check MMA writing is good MMA writing but I've also been concerned about mighty mouse being all 'ehh, maybe i'll retire' right before a fight with a dude what knocked him out

i think dj is just an extremely chill guy. after he lost to cejudo in a razor close fight on his xxth title defence he was completely unbothered and said 'good fight, what are you gonna do'. the first two moraes fights were really good, both of them perfect examples of why knees on the ground should be legal, so i'm sure this one will be wild.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Really good preview, LobMob. I’m so excited for the show tonight, I hope chaos reigns.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

this seems like a fantastic card for me to check out one for the first time. thanks for the write-up, lobmob

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/HelenYeeSports/status/1654479989830479875
aww man. poor guy

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/AlexPereiraUFC/status/1654446581809070081

christ almighty just stop. just stop. i am begging you to stop doing title rematches. my children, they're sick.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
ONE Friday Fights Report:

FIGHT THAT YOU MUST SEE:
Jaising (40-15) vs. Denpayak (60-10) (MT 135) 2:13:42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQZo2pcCxKg&t=8022

Fabio Reis kills another Thai fighter: https://twitter.com/ONEChampionship/status/1654502522848006144
Rest of the report: https://bocot.substack.com/p/one-friday-fights-15-2022-05-05

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Boco_T posted:

ONE Friday Fights Report:

FIGHT THAT YOU MUST SEE:
Jaising (40-15) vs. Denpayak (60-10) (MT 135) 2:13:42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQZo2pcCxKg&t=8022

Rest of the report: https://bocot.substack.com/p/one-friday-fights-15-2022-05-05

after the earlier discussion I read this as actually killed him

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

LobsterMobster posted:

:siren: b league preview :siren:

i decided to eschew the more rote, dry recitation of stats and records (partly because i was getting bored doing it) and just went with a purely vibes approach

ONE Fight Night 10 - Friday, May 5

Main Card - 8 PM ET, Amazon Prime

Bantamweight Title - Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson vs Adriano “Mikinho” Moraes

DJ is real cool and good, but I’ve seen one or two rumors flopping around that he might call it a career after this fight. Previously, he’d said he had a few more years/fights left in him, but maybe as this bout approached he reevaluated things. Or maybe it’s just fake internet whispers that don’t amount to anything.

Moraes is fairly large for the division, and he’s very good as well. He might want to use his size on the ground against DJ since I think Johnson was starting to get some good reads on him before the finish came.

This should be a great fight, which of course means it will end inside 90 seconds due to a simultaneous double head clash and groin strikes.

Bantamweight Title (Muay Thai) - Rodtang “The Ironman” Jitmuangnon vs Edgar Juarez Tabares

RODTANG. He hasn’t consistently made it inside the cage recently, but when he does fight, he’s still dangerous and scary.

I know nothing about this guy Tabares.

RODTANG!

Bantamweight Title (Grappling) - Mikey “Darth Rigatoni” Muscumeci vs Osamah Almarwai

Muscumeci is a little grapple nerd but he’s real good at grapples. He’s faced a few guys who aren’t pure grapplers, but MMA guys who also grapple, so the lack of legal striking might have hampered them a bit.

I don’t know diddly squirt about this guy.

Mikey’s probably going to win again.

Strawweight - Stamp Fairtex vs Alyse “Lil Savage” Anderson

Stamp is a multi-sport star, competing in Muay Thai, kickboxing, and MMA. She’s obviously a very solid striker, but she’s also fairly competent on the ground. It’s not like she just gets taken down instantly and is submitted with ease.

Anderson had a brief stint in Invicta a few years back, but I don’t recall anything truly memorable about her run there. She’s been in ONE for a bit, losing to the mighty Android 17.

As with most things in life, I must put all my faith in Stamp Fairtex and the Stamp Dance.

Middleweight - Roberto “Robocop” Soldic vs Zebaztian “The Bandit” Kadestam

Soldic had a ton of signing hype when he went to ONE. He’s a former KSW champ and knocks out most of his opponents. Then he got in the ONE Circle and the fight ended in 3 minutes due to a penis attack. The aristocrats!

Kadestam also punches most of his foes to oblivion. However, it should be noted he does have a TKO loss to Ben Askren, which is most shameful.

Gotta send a Robocop to catch a Bandit, baby!

Welterweight - “Super” Sage Northcutt vs Ahmed “Wolverine” Mujtaba

Sage is a sweet boy himbo human golden retriever who has never had a negative thought enter his empty, empty head (Made even more empty when Cosmo Alexandre shattered his skull a few years back).

Mujtaba is a grappleman from Pakistan.

Good news for Sage: this guy is unlikely to break any more of his face bones. Bad news for Sage: he has struggled against grapplemen. Uh oh, Spaghetti-Os!

Light Heavyweight - Aung “The Burmese Python” La N Sang vs Rong “King Kong Warrior” Fan

La N Sang hits things hard until they break. One of the first things that always pops into my head when I think about Aung La N Sang (Right after I have to remember it’s not Auld Lang Syne), is a fight he had with Ken Hasegawa, and his body kicks made an enormous bruise on Ken’s side, and then later, Ken posted a picture from the hospital of the big jug of blood that had to be drained from his punctured lung. Super fuckin gnarly!

Fan is mostly a grappler, and has lost mostly to grapplers, which is always kind of interesting. There isn’t as much of a risk of that in this fight, which is good, but Fan’s faced a lot of severely undermatched opponents. Eight of his last 16 opponents have been somewhere in the neighborhood of 0-0 to 1-3.

La N Sang is probably going to hit Fan very, very hard.

Light Heavyweight (Grappling) - Reinier “The Dutch Knight” de Ridder vs Tye Ruotulo

De Ridder got his face punched by a large Russian man and lost one title so now he doesn’t want to get face punched again.

Ruotulo normally competes somewhere in the 175 - 180 lb range, so I’m sure it’s fine that he’s going up about 25 pounds.

Flyweight (Muay Thai) - Jackie Buntan vs Diandra Martin

Both fighters have lost to Actual Child Smilla Sundell. Where is Smilla Sundell? Why has she not fought since last year? Is it because she’s in school? I bet it’s because she’s in school.

Anyway, Muay Thai is cool, this fight should be neat.

Prelim Card - 7 PM ET, Amazon Prime

Bantamweight - Kairat “The Kazakh” Akhmetov vs Reece “Lightning” McLaren

This is a rematch from 2019 that I’m sure I never saw. Akhmetov took a decision then, and based on what each man has done in the intervening years (Akhmetov 3-0, all by decision. McLaren 4-2, 2 TKO, 2 submissions), I could easily see the argument for another Akhmetov win. He beat guys that McLaren lost to, he’s been active but not running himself ragged, and he’s still a solid fighter. McLaren is more dynamic, based on finishes, but the names on his record aren’t as eye popping.

Welterweight - Lowen Tynanes vs Rae Yoon Ok

Ok Rae Yoon would probably still be champ if his first defense was against anyone other than Christian Lee. He had Lee hurt early but somehow the TKO didn’t get called and Rae Yoon got a little tuckered out and then finished in the second. Now he’s curtain jerking. Weird!

Return, ye, to the GDT for ONE, if ye dare, ye!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031190

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Someone on reddit noticed this about Belal in the embedded video which seems like it might be a bit of a problem

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Fentry posted:

Someone on reddit noticed this about Belal in the embedded video which seems like it might be a bit of a problem

is that an ai generated image

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

LobsterMobster posted:

is that an ai generated image

The UFC does have a habit of photoshopping one fighters limbs onto anothers.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
They only had a right foot so they sewed it on upside down.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Are you guys trying to find the gsp Conan vid cause I think i favorited that and I back up all of my youtube favs but right now I'm quite drunk at my gf's and will post it when I get home tmrw bc i love you all and want you to be happy ok goodnight :)

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

GlassEye-Boy posted:

The UFC does have a habit of photoshopping one fighters limbs onto anothers.

I didn’t know Bilbo Baggins had a stint in the UFC

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

beep by grandpa posted:

Are you guys trying to find the gsp Conan vid cause I think i favorited that and I back up all of my youtube favs but right now I'm quite drunk at my gf's and will post it when I get home tmrw bc i love you all and want you to be happy ok goodnight :)

We were trying to find it but we all failed

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

beep by grandpa posted:

Yes. It might be gone.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's a crazy fight between two guys that are inexperienced from last week's Krush show, worth a few minutes of your time
Juki Sakamoto (4-2, 1 KO) vs. Ryusei Imamura (Debut) (121) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrS7bq6D7Io

For the rest of Krush 148, check this out https://bocot.substack.com/p/tape-delay-kickboxing-24-krush148

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://streamable.com/zh80cp

dinosaurs

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 6, 2023

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

lmao he's still alive.
https://twitter.com/AlexBehunin/status/1654687668578693121?s=20

Rude_Dude
Jun 2, 2009

you're a hero

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I was directly inspired by this excerpt from an amazing video I watched a couple years back, love u all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Fx_idkrvw

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thank you for your service.

lol

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The thing this video doesn't show is the entire preceding 3 1/2 minutes of the round was Roy just getting the poo poo kicked out of him the whole time while looking terrible and then he landed one punch and won anyway, just a consummate Roy Nelson performance

preservation of treasure, this is

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031190&pagenumber=3#post531684882

Back to the GDT one more time for the weekend, UFC begins in 15-20 minutes.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Lmao amazing pull Beep

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Hell yes thank you

Lmao

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Awesome, thank you.

Trashweight never dies

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
wrong thread

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Thank you for your service.

lol

A most blessed page

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I love seeing this rear end in a top hat get beat up

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Wrong thread.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is it though?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

blue footed boobie posted:

I love seeing this rear end in a top hat get beat up

what is "things that could be said on an mma forum or the porn hub comment section"

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Henry Cejudo and a Gracie ate poo poo. A good night.

Also mute this so you don't hear any of the terrible trash talking again, but pay attention to Merab just immediately swiping O'Malley's jacket, it's fantastic.

https://twitter.com/KoreanJohn_/status/1655082555446792193

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Holy poo poo Merab is quick

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1655089151417413632?t=-36MxTfvR2bSqJJBO74FIQ&s=19

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

I think I've mentioned it before but the ufc has ruined the name Gilbert for me. I automatically switch the letters to giblert
Thank god I'm not the only one. That and Bifgoot.

CarlCX posted:

Also mute this so you don't hear any of the terrible trash talking again, but pay attention to Merab just immediately swiping O'Malley's jacket, it's fantastic.

https://twitter.com/KoreanJohn_/status/1655082555446792193
aww Merab looks so pleased with his new jacket :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Hollandia posted:

aww Merab looks so pleased with his new jacket :3:

Watching O’Malley actually hand it to him is hilarious

https://twitter.com/HelenYeeSports/status/1655079474461913088?s=20