Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Mayn event are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs Jailton Almeida 3 10.71%
Raquel Pennington vs Irene Aldana 2 1 3.57%
Gegard Mousasi vs Fabian Edwards 1 3.57%
Anything that isn't any of those fights 23 82.14%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Apparently Dana owns Nitro Circus with Lorenzo? And some skate league. "Thrill One" or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?g16Y1vYkdsY&t=1570s

And power slap is "number one in all of sports", with better numbers than basically all other sports combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Apparently Dana owns Nitro Circus with Lorenzo? And some skate league. "Thrill One" or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?g16Y1vYkdsY&t=1570s

And power slap is "number one in all of sports", with better numbers than basically all other sports combined.

You can probably trace the exact moment nitro circus went from cool people doing cool stuff to soulless content farm to that buyout.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
It seems weird to me that goons hate on Cejudo for being a socially awkward guy that makes up for it with cringe worthy attempts at comedy.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1655206656475553796?t=UVtaepSLQ9Jo7z9gFWfPsA&s=19

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

For anyone who doesn't click through, he didn't so much just get drunk and flip his truck, which would already be bad enough, as he got drunk and flipped his truck after wrecking it smashing the poo poo out of two parked cars and then refused a sobriety test. Dude needs help, but that's been true for a long time about a number of things.

blue footed boobie posted:

It seems weird to me that goons hate on Cejudo for being a socially awkward guy that makes up for it with cringe worthy attempts at comedy.

I mean, I don't hate him for being socially awkward and trying to make up for it with a cringe persona, I hate him for using his cringe persona to paper over poo poo like this.

quote:

“My dad wasn’t the best human,” Cejudo said at a Latinos for Trump rally in South Phoenix Wednesday. “He came to this country as a foreigner, broke the law, and was deported."

"I’m going to tell you as an immigrant’s son, that you come to this country, and you break the law, and, rightfully so, you should pay the consequences.”

Cejudo knows many in his own community of Latinos, not just in Arizona but around the world, will disagree with him. As a lifelong fighter, he doesn’t shy away from conflict.

“It is what it is, man. Sometimes you want cheeseburgers. The next day you want pizza. So, they’ll get over it,” Cejudo said. “If they can’t respect my political views, then maybe they don’t have the right to support me, then. Do I want people like that? No. If you think you’re right and I’m wrong, then that’s on you.”

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

blue footed boobie posted:

There is a big difference between being sincere and charming in one's awkwardness and straight up cringe/unappealing. Like many of us have said already, Cejudo became significantly more tolerable once he showed self awareness and leaned into it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

beep by grandpa posted:

There is a big difference between being sincere and charming in one's awkwardness and straight up cringe/unappealing. Like many of us have said already, Cejudo became significantly more tolerable once he showed self awareness and leaned into it.

That woman beside him looks extremely sick of his poo poo.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Lone Goat posted:

That woman beside him looks extremely sick of his poo poo.

First thing that stands out for me too. "Oh, he's doing this poo poo again? Lets see how my insta is doing..."

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I think that's just the general awkwardness of appearing on camera when its focused on the person next to you. Like being next to a kiss cam couple.

UFC 288 was... alright? It always sucks when the entertainment value of the main and co-main fights just isn't there. I love me some Gilbert Burns, and it sucks that the fight was lost with a shoulder injury and had to go on for another 4 rounds. Cejudo and Sterling was lackluster. I don't bemoan either their game plan or performance, it just wasn't exciting to watch. Andrade/Xiaonan was fantastic. The prelims and early card had a few bangers too.

Now I rely on One to get me through the rest of May. Please just let Rodtang fight every Friday, I don't care who you put in front of him.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It's wild that we only have three MMA events for the entire rest of the month and one of them, which is 13 days away, has no main event.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

CarlCX posted:

It's wild that we only have three MMA events for the entire rest of the month and one of them, which is 13 days away, has no main event.

Wait, One isn't doing Friday nights this month? Blaaahhhhhhh

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Of course we have Friday Fights, the true A-show and the only thing you should make sure you watch.

This week's two fights on the poster are:
E.T. (81-38) vs. Kongthoranee (61-15) (132)
Yodphupa (62-9) vs. Andrey Khromov (147)

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Benson Cunningham posted:

Wait, One isn't doing Friday nights this month? Blaaahhhhhhh

Oh yeah, that's why I specified MMA. Muay thai never ends.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Just finished watching the card and it occurred to me that apart from Islam, Volk and Moreno, all the UFC men's champions are really loving lanky. Jones, Hill, Adesanya, Edwards, and Sterling are all very tall and range-y for their weight classes, despite pretty substantial differences in how they make that work for them (pressuring vs countering, striking vs wrestling).

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
We must abandon weight classes and transition to height classes

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Lucasar posted:

Just finished watching the card and it occurred to me that apart from Islam, Volk and Moreno, all the UFC men's champions are really loving lanky. Jones, Hill, Adesanya, Edwards, and Sterling are all very tall and range-y for their weight classes, despite pretty substantial differences in how they make that work for them (pressuring vs countering, striking vs wrestling).

some standards are set early

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
there are really just 2 types of fighters, gangly violence monsters or meaty cubes

anything else is simply a fighter too chickenshit to commit

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

LobsterMobster posted:

there are really just 2 types of fighters, gangly violence monsters or meaty cubes

Lol

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

And as a gangly violence monster, I took that personally.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

LobsterMobster posted:

it had everything the sport was made of, and we all booed. we all booed!

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Boco_T posted:

We must abandon weight classes and transition to height classes

Any reclassing that uniquely fucks over Sean O'Malley and makes Jessica Andrade the GOAT would have to be regarded as a moral and just change.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thats a real shame about Ferguson. I knew he needed help but I thought he was back on track.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BlindSite posted:

Thats a real shame about Ferguson. I knew he needed help but I thought he was back on track.

Same. With the little news we get coming from 1st party and 2nd parties with motives to be positive, it’s not surprising that we don’t know what’s really going on.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Oh nooo

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

:negative: but not surprising

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I somehow missed that being distracted by just seeing Don again

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

No...the 90's wrassler and cage fighter with the thick mustache and the cowboy hat...please don't tell me he's a republican...

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Don Frye was doing the dumb 'men aren't men anymore/pussified society' schtick back in like 2005, that boat sailed a long time ago.

Mostly I'm just glad he's alive, dude was having a pretty bad time not too long ago.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Let's just all remember Godzilla final wars and ignore everything after that

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mayor Haggar being a Republican is sad but not surprising.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Enough about trump, time for sadness

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1655582353614336006?t=

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I cannot believe the UFC elected to use an opportunity to try to push Mackenzie Dern.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

They should push her into a boxing class, followed by a wrestling class

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

i like angela hill and it’s cool she’ll get half-off tickets to summerslam for main eventing but lol

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

mackenzie dern

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Holy poo poo

PFL has drug tests?

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1655928206233305089?t=pdOwO3N_Q5qyr-kYz0Ee7w&s=19

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
happy to take a month suspension if Angela Hill fails to beat the brakes off of Dern in 5 rounds

Overkill Hill rocks, she's been looking amazing, and she's a cardio machine

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

They seem like the most professional of upper tier mma orgs?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

No, the smart cage just knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Hey, good news, they've got Arman Tsarukyan back on the schedule! It's against a guy who's only fought three times since 2019 and got his poo poo hosed up by Nasrat Haqparast and is nowhere even remotely close to a ranking.

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1655989557857509376

When Brett loving Okamoto is subtly signaling that your matchmaking is bad.