Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Mayn event are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs Jailton Almeida 3 10.71%
Raquel Pennington vs Irene Aldana 2 1 3.57%
Gegard Mousasi vs Fabian Edwards 1 3.57%
Anything that isn't any of those fights 23 82.14%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CarlCX posted:

Here's my problem with the bareknuckle vs padding thing, though: Instead of bareknuckle MMA it's bareknuckle boxing, so while you're getting rid of some of the subconcussive impact issues with padding

I think the competition being bareknuckle changes the training very little. You'd want to use training/sparring MMA gloves, which are 6 or 8oz with all the padding in front of the knuckles, so that you get the same defensive constraints around dealing with the fists coming around your guard, but reducing facial injuries that will gently caress up your training camp schedule. With pretty much the same striking volume sustained in camp*, you have the same overall toll on your brain.

*a smaller complaint I have about the sport is that it's hiring big names that are washed up from other professions. With MMA fighters, it's usually people whose hands-only striking is completely unadapted and unevolved for the ruleset. For boxers, it's guys who're significantly slowed down and chinny. In both cases, the product is funneled toward "let's just stand and bang and see who gets KOed," which I assume aligns with what the audience is paying for.

Better boxing skills in bareknuckle competition would make it a lot more of a sport. Right now, it's essentially formerly elite tier physical specimens doing toughman level technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I swear the way i heard Jorge talk about him, that he was dead.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

They only had a right foot so they sewed it on upside down.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Thats a real shame about Ferguson. I knew he needed help but I thought he was back on track.

Same. With the little news we get coming from 1st party and 2nd parties with motives to be positive, it’s not surprising that we don’t know what’s really going on.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

:negative: but not surprising

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

They seem like the most professional of upper tier mma orgs?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

reeg posted:

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/37613472/nine-pfl-fighters-suspended-nevada-state-athletic-commission

Follow-up to the PFL positive tests. Nine fighters suspended, completely loving their "season" setup. lol

One of them was Cezar Mutante, Vitor’s physical specimen of a protege who looked like this:

at middleweight.

And now looks like this at a not-cutting-for-LHW heavyweight:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/1657416254314135552
I looked up the amateur fighter the broadcast memorialized apparently was the only person to die in a 2 car crash, maybe because she wasn't wearing a seat belt.

Also, noticed for the first time the UFC typo team got another decent one in

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://twitter.com/francis_ngannou/status/1657432137124151297
I’m moderately hyped.

It was all noise until the predator clicks, but it occurred to me probably half the fan base is too young to register it?

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 15, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

lol kron is so dumb it almost makes me feel bad to make fun of him

There’s no way someone advised this seriously, right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Boco_T posted:

All things that are worth literally nothing to him

Equity role in PFL
Super-fight PPV back end

While I won't put a lot of faith in Ngannou having modeled out the numbers with any accuracy, both of these likely give him some career satisfaction going forward.

UFC flat pay for a fight: $1mil
PFL PPV points: $50k, and getting free coverage from Dana along the lines of "I told him so."

blue footed boobie posted:

Yeah, I mean presumably he gets smoked by any heavyweight that is an actual boxer? Maybe he’s hoping Tyson Fury will hold him up for 10 rounds so he can get a bag without embarrassing himself?

Francis rocking or visibly hurting Fury would be moral victory enough.
It's risk free for Fury, as he's shown he can't be killed by KO punch.

One of the analysts/coaches I follow, Barry Robinson, pointed out that more than most people, Ngannou actually believes in and uses fundamentals. Like he checks low kicks where others have been ignoring them. I think there's a very small window where he defends against a real boxing HW as best as he can, and then times a perfect hook.
He's similar in Wilder that way -- pretty limited skillset but good enough fight IQ to employ the weapons he has. He shouldn't bother going on the offensive since everything will be too easy for a boxer to read and avoid.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Also, I know we've got stuff going on, but there's much more important news that's gotten overshadowed.
https://twitter.com/UFCRosterWatch/status/1658514669923860491

lol
https://twitter.com/Jimbo_J_/status/1658516237377327105

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

The UFC's got big fuckin' plans for Maheshate. They are very proud of their tall-yet-lightweight big-punchman from China and they would love to use him as a spearhead for further expansion into the market.

This one seems pretty easy to me. Fast track Yan Xiaonan to the title shot if Zhang stays there, and pack the rest of the card with Chinese fighters in contests of whatever level of legitimacy the UFC feels like.
Should sell pretty well. The all China novelty of Yan vs Zhang is there if they want to use it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

cagliostr0 posted:

I would imagine the UFC is also super happy that they both fight a exciting style that non Chinese will also be excited to see

It’s possible. I don’t find that they push Zhang as hard as her performances warrant. It’s in line with how they treat the other non attractive women fighters, and reflective of Carl’s broad frustration with the matchmaking that’s pervasive in this era of the UFC.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

RIP to the greatest commentator in UFC history.

Didn’t realize Jim Brown was still alive. Wonder how lucid he was at 87. He sounded mentally great 3 years ago.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ngannou responded on Twitter to Dana's usual retconn attempt

quote:

What is your problem with me?

1. I completed my contract, was a free agent, and chose to walk away. you didn’t release me

2. I hate taking risks? that’s why I defended my title to fulfill my contract with no acl or mcl?

3. The reason I fought three times in three years is because you wanted to control my deal and signs a new one. And freeze me out. “I owe these guys three fights a year.” Isn’t that what you say? What happened? I always asked for & never said no to any fight in the 3 years

I’m finally getting paid and respected, and have a deal that’s fair and equal for all parties. Why are you so against me being free and happy?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is the New York Gracie family history stuff not accurate? Most of it seems to line up with googling?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brut posted:

So seems like at least the idea of some Scottish families ending up in Brazil isn't insane

I don’t think there’s much disputing the Gracies came from Scotland. It’s certainly not the usual Portuguese name.

The beef was with Rickson skipping over how the New York Gracies were related other than casual common ancestry.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Boco_T posted:

RISE lost Cygames as a sponsor and as a result Abema has picked up the title sponsorship and is moving the big shows to a PPV model on their streaming service, when previously they had aired them all for free live and you could watch the VODs if you had Abema Premium.
https://twitter.com/RISE_2003/status/1660979578586943488
Not a good look

Not a good look meaning Abema is not doing well to switch to this revenue model?
RISE were most likely making most of their money from the gate, right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Does the twitter thread have the Pete sell (possibly?) Fight where someone takes a liver shot and as they go down they knock out their opponent?

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/639489404407578624/mediaviewer

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BlindSite posted:

He does and for ages he was a pill addict and drunk, apparently he's been doing liver king stuff and it's helped him quit the drugs n booze so he might live another 4 years but jesus. It's not a sport he should be doing anymore.

No one was brave enough to do a celebrity wrestling match with him.

Hollandia posted:

gently caress that's grim :cry:

I know this is hardly any consolation, but Chuck doing CTE shadowboxing for Tito 3 was way worse than this.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Was that guy who beat Aleks 185 or 205?

LobsterMobster posted:

Ever the marketing geniuses, Bellator announced Bellator x Rizin 2 at like 4am this morning

Tbh, I dunno what that mean relative to the Twitter algorithm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ilmucche posted:

arlovski lmao why

If he could fight more often, the UFC would never turn to Chase Sherman.