Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Mayn event are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs Jailton Almeida 3 10.71%
Raquel Pennington vs Irene Aldana 2 1 3.57%
Gegard Mousasi vs Fabian Edwards 1 3.57%
Anything that isn't any of those fights 23 82.14%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CarlCX posted:

BKFC is by far the largest beneficiary of slap bullshit, because it's just as gross and uncomfortable and often reckless as it was this time last year, and it's still the company that got one of its fighters killed, but boy, the immediate visuals aren't nearly as shocking on average anymore and it's amazing how much that winds up mattering to people.

i don't agree. i can't equivocate striking a defenceless opponent and a boxing match. even the oildome was a fairer fight than slapping.

i won't accept loss of life as a cost of doing business, but i'd hazard a guess that the sad event would be less to do with the bare knuckle aspect of it and more to do with the safety protocols, officiating, access to medical attention etc that comes with the territory of low budget affairs.

cuts are grizzly, but better a little bit of blood now than a shitload of further trauma thanks to padding imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CommonShore posted:

Yeah but don't you watch BKFC now and go "drat this poo poo is bad but iat least it's not slap fighting"? I kinda do.

honestly, no. if the safety aspects of it were on par with pro boxing / mma, i'd have the equivalent level of critique for it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CarlCX posted:

I personally agree, but I'm more speaking to the tenor of the conversation that seems to go on around BKFC in the combat sports public. I noticed a lot more "it's gross/barbaric' talk before power slap and now it seems like people are less fussed even though BKFC's profile hasn't really grown that much, and I can't help thinking people are directly contrasting the two.

ah. jesus that's depressing but i'd bet you're right.

CarlCX posted:

Here's my problem with the bareknuckle vs padding thing, though: Instead of bareknuckle MMA it's bareknuckle boxing, so while you're getting rid of some of the subconcussive impact issues with padding you're also going back to fighters getting hosed up badly enough to lose the ability to stand and just getting a standing count before being thrown right back in, so I kind of wonder if it makes any difference.

standing 8s should be a war crime

personally i absolutely understand if you prefer your violence with a veneer of respectability. my missus can't stand mma / boxing but likes sumo. i've had a long time to accept that i'm the type of person who will get in the ring in a pub car park and try and kill a guy while knowing full well the the event doctor is a drunk guy that said he used to teach first aid in the military. consent and fair play is my standard, but i'm under no delusion that it's 'correct'.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Rockhold actually stunned Perry pretty good at one point on the 1st, just wasn't able to keep it at the range he needed.

he stunned perry at least three times by my count. all with the straight down the pipe. i'm convinced that if he just spammed that perry would have knocked himself out.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Digital Jedi posted:

Much as the tooth injury and head punches hurt him I think body shots Perry landed really hurt him.

this is what i thought. perry landed two brutal body shots and rockhold fled to the other side of the ring and perry landed one more and rockhold said he was done. sure it would be stupid to say it wasn't the extremely hosed up face if that's what rockhold says but i literally winced at those shots.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

francis is so cool.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

It's like how BKFC made a statement about Ngannou asking for unrealistic money as if they were ever in real contention.

lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Rarely have I gone “gently caress this gay earth” and turned the PPV off as fast as I did there. I might have beaten my time for Aldo-McGregor.

Lol. Bisping owns.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

there are really just 2 types of fighters, gangly violence monsters or meaty cubes

anything else is simply a fighter too chickenshit to commit

Lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i'd give a floor to ceiling ball even money to knock that poor man out. holy poo poo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i have no problem with 'white power slap' as posts but yeah probably not the thread title.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

huh i conflated the two quoted posts. but yeah white pride is even less good as a thread title imo even if it would take all of 5 seconds to understand it's a joke some goons are very busy and cannot spare those 5 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Digital Jedi posted:

yeaaa my bad on that. probably shouldn't have gone for that as suggestion

it's good and i support it in post form. lol.