Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Mayn event are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs Jailton Almeida 3 10.71%
Raquel Pennington vs Irene Aldana 2 1 3.57%
Gegard Mousasi vs Fabian Edwards 1 3.57%
Anything that isn't any of those fights 23 82.14%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
they've also killed a guy with their matchmaking which even bellator hasn't managed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
at least in that fight both guys were dying of exhaustion and unable to harm each other, just themselves. instead of one guy being a legit prospect and one guy being a schlub like in the BKFC death.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

CarlCX posted:

I know people who watch sports without giving a single poo poo about what fighters, athletes or coaches think about politics or culture or society, and I envy them deeply. And I don't even mean that in a 'this is a backhanded compliment that exists to make me seem wiser and more caring by comparison' sort of way. I don't think a single thing about my life has been improved by knowing Henry Cejudo's a weirdo bigot, nor does it do a thing for anyone reading this to have it restated.

tbh i have no idea how anyone watches this sport without being able to switch it off, nearly everyone involved in mma (and combat sports in general) is a deranged hateful lunatic. if you get lucky your favourite fighter's derangement is just profoundly strange and not venomous (machida #1 nice boy #1 piss drinker)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

CarlCX posted:

I feel like the UFC's starting to get to the point where the ability to turn it off is starting to feel just as weird as my leaving it on all the time has always felt to me. Dana White uses the press conferences to talk about how bad being woke is, Holly Holm wins a fight and goes on about the groomer problem, Jon Anik randomly shouts out Ron DeSantis on commentary, the UFC takes time out of its broadcast to hold a Donald Trump party and every subsequent fighter grovels at him, I dunno, man. It used to just be 'are you the kind of person who isn't so online to know/doesn't care that Bryce Mitchell thinks the Earth is flat' but the programming itself is more and more often used as a platform to talk about this poo poo and it seems like switching it off must be harder than ever.

yeah i agree, though i've just tuned everything other than the fights out and not being american probably helps because i usually just watch the fights on sunday morning and fast forward through everything that's not a fight and watch nothing else, i stopped going on twitter because it just makes me mad, and idk who ron desantis is (deranged republican politican/news guy/influencer/christian genocidal bigot, at least 2 out of these, i'm guessing).

CarlCX posted:

vibe-check MMA writing is good MMA writing but I've also been concerned about mighty mouse being all 'ehh, maybe i'll retire' right before a fight with a dude what knocked him out

i think dj is just an extremely chill guy. after he lost to cejudo in a razor close fight on his xxth title defence he was completely unbothered and said 'good fight, what are you gonna do'. the first two moraes fights were really good, both of them perfect examples of why knees on the ground should be legal, so i'm sure this one will be wild.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
the gracies are such a bunch of lame losers