Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Hyrax Attack! posted:

In WA state they finally managed to enact a capital gains tax on high dollar amount transactions, after years of our plutocrats kicking and screaming and even involving the state Supreme Court. Let’s see how it’s going:

So that’s good news, I think the elites can spare it.

Do you have a link to the article that's from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mustang posted:

Do you have a link to the article that's from?

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/was-new-capital-gains-tax-brings-in-849-million-so-far-much-more-than-expected/?amp=1

It’s paywalled so I was reading it through the KCLS library’s free portal

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Thanks! Wanted to send it to some other folks.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Hyrax Attack! posted:

In WA state they finally managed to enact a capital gains tax on high dollar amount transactions, after years of our plutocrats kicking and screaming and even involving the state Supreme Court. Let’s see how it’s going:

So that’s good news, I think the elites can spare it.

Just wait. I'm sure the state gov will find a way to use just this money and cut regular school funding. Much like what california did with the lotto money.

It started out with schools getting a shitload of apple //e computers and quickly stopped being bonus money.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Washington already famously stole money earmarked for schools by dumping lotto funds into the general fund to obfuscate what money was going where.

Big fan of taxing the rich, and looking at that law it's pretty well aimed at only big-r Rich folks. And we desperately need more schools in the state.

I'm sure by next year everyone affected will have figured out how to move their assets around to tax shelter from it though, and we'll have a massive budget shortfall.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/AndrewKossack/status/1662900354478907392?t=d8_pzbArACZpAm3ljmOV9g&s=19

Indy 500 last 20 laps, crash caused tire to detach from tether and go flying. Thankfully missed grandstand and landed in parking lot

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/AndrewKossack/status/1662900354478907392?t=d8_pzbArACZpAm3ljmOV9g&s=19

Indy 500 last 20 laps, crash caused tire to detach from tether and go flying. Thankfully missed grandstand and landed in parking lot

I wonder who has the liability for that insurance claim

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Kesper North posted:

I wonder who has the liability for that insurance claim

I am sure the Speedway has an indemnity like with your car getting broken into that it isn't their fault.

Wild end to the race with Newgarden winning

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Nick Soapdish posted:

I am sure the Speedway has an indemnity like with your car getting broken into that it isn't their fault.

Wild end to the race with Newgarden winning

Those "by parking here you assume the responsibility for broken bits of your car" waiver statements generally don't mean too much in court.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Those "by parking here you assume the responsibility for broken bits of your car" waiver statements generally don't mean too much in court.

You can buy off a state judge for a few thousand bucks and the people who own racetracks are generally loaded. They'll take the chevy owner to the cleaners.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Midjack posted:

You can buy off a state judge for a few thousand bucks and the people who own racetracks are generally loaded. They'll take the chevy owner to the cleaners.

Or they could just have the good PR of fixing it or replacing the vehicle(if it wasn't a rental) being a Chevy and all

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Midjack posted:

I can't imagine telling all your fans to gently caress off from attending your events in person would really be the business move a racetrack owner would engage in. I'd bet the car owner is gonna be made whole without much of a fuss.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah they have access to mechanics, they’ll fix the car and give the owner some free tickets. Or they’ll give him a “be quiet and go away” check.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's just an auto claim. You file with your own insurance while they go collect from the responsible parties and refund your deductible after they get their money. There's no personal injury. There is a fixed amount of damage capped at the value of the vehicle. It will be a pretty trivial claim and should be paid without too much fuss.

That looks like just some body damage at first glance, as well. Not likely to be more than $10-15k and that's if something is majorly damaged. It probably won't even be that much. The racetrack and racing org will pay that claim immediately.

If someone got physically hurt, there would be protracted litigation. Presently, though, this is minor property damage and may not even eclipse the local jurisdiction's small claim maximum.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Midjack posted:

It's a couple damaged panels on a crappy old sedan. The racetrack owner isn't going to go full Godfather horse head on that dude.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I was responding more to the "disclaimer won't hold up in court" part but my reply was badly phrased.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Ladies and gentlemen, we have our Next Mideast Flashpoint:

https://twitter.com/Terror_Alarm/status/1662481600939016192

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah the Taliban is not going to win that fight.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Irans had a lot of internal unrest lately. Wheres their military on all that?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That Works posted:

Irans had a lot of internal unrest lately. Wheres their military on all that?

Zeroing in, I'd say

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So, which side are we going to stupidly funnel arms to (again)?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

We already funneled it to the taliban by all the equipment we left them yeah?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Saudi Arabia

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

It's a couple damaged panels on a crappy old sedan. The racetrack owner isn't going to go full Godfather horse head on that dude.

Yeah

You know how much a horse head costs these days?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ladies and gentlemen, we have our Next Mideast Flashpoint:

https://twitter.com/Terror_Alarm/status/1662481600939016192

Good luck dudes lol

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

I can't imagine telling all your fans to gently caress off from attending your events in person would really be the business move a racetrack owner would engage in. I'd bet the car owner is gonna be made whole without much of a fuss.

Yup

https://twitter.com/RichNye13/status/1662966467107618816?s=20

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I’m assuming they want it back after

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
How true is the adage that Regan “won” the Cold War by outspending the USSR?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It’s very reductive of what was going on at the time.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Tiny Timbs posted:

Good luck dudes lol
Just LOL at Afghanistan invading Iran with worn-out US equipment.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Nystral posted:

iirc from Zubok's Collapse, not very. the Soviet military industry was relatively efficient and produced goods that could find foreign buyers. the rest of Soviet industry not so much

Gorbachev bungled economic reforms horribly between waffling between competing advisors' reform proposals and slow-rolling changes. Chernobyl was also a massive economic hit at an already tenuous time

political reforms also contributed significantly to the growing power of individual SSR governments (Yeltsin in particular) and the loss of confidence among conversations party elites that led to the coup attempt

the Bush government at least did not want the USSR to split, since it was a known quantity

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nystral posted:

About as true as saying Truman won the second world War with America's superior logistics.

Technically true, maybe, but it misses a ton of background.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I'd say less true, the USSR mostly collapsed from internal pressure, the Empire of Japan and Third Reich were crushed out of existence by external pressure.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

iirc from Zubok's Collapse, not very. the Soviet military industry was relatively efficient and produced goods that could find foreign buyers. the rest of Soviet industry not so much

Gorbachev bungled economic reforms horribly between waffling between competing advisors' reform proposals and slow-rolling changes. Chernobyl was also a massive economic hit at an already tenuous time

political reforms also contributed significantly to the growing power of individual SSR governments (Yeltsin in particular) and the loss of confidence among conversations party elites that led to the coup attempt

the Bush government at least did not want the USSR to split, since it was a known quantity

A small part of that I recently learned was when microchips were becoming a critical component for defense & well, everything, the USSR’s usual approach of copying western designs & making them internally simply didn’t work with the technology, as by the time they got a chip & reverse engineered it, it would be a few years out of date. That combined with the complexity of manufacturing advanced designs even if they had the plans was a huge issue.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Alan Smithee posted:

Yeah

You know how much a horse head costs these days?

Seeing how disposable horses were during the Kentucky Dirby, probably pretty cheap.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Hyrax Attack! posted:

A small part of that I recently learned was when microchips were becoming a critical component for defense & well, everything, the USSR’s usual approach of copying western designs & making them internally simply didn’t work with the technology, as by the time they got a chip & reverse engineered it, it would be a few years out of date. That combined with the complexity of manufacturing advanced designs even if they had the plans was a huge issue.
I love how western chip manufacturers trolled the USSR by putting Cyrillic inside their chips: https://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/creatures/pages/russians.html

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cyks posted:

Seeing how disposable horses were during the Kentucky Dirby, probably pretty cheap.

Nope. A horse is comparable in price to a car still, partly because they just don't make many of them nowadays so they are scarce.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Ain’t nothing cheap about a horse.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

RFC2324 posted:

Nope. A horse is comparable in price to a car still, partly because they just don't make many of them nowadays so they are scarce.

A quick Google search says you can adopt a wild, untrained horse for $100

That's a good price for a decapitatin' horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1663160782954045440?t=JoY_4HuAz109IdtcZwk7og&s=19