Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War Boi
Nov 1, 2021

Grip it and rip it posted:

gently caress Netflix and all the streaming services and their bullshit pay structure.

I haven’t followed any of the ups and downs for writers since the last strike (Hence the strike, I assume) so would you mind filling me in on where Netflix plays in this? I haven’t had an account in forever, but I guess they are not paying royalties to writers in the shows they license to stream? Is it something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Boi
Nov 1, 2021

facialimpediment posted:

bahahah what in the gently caress

Edit: wait, was it unanimous?

Yes, even a Bronx Tim Pool Worshipping MAGA Security Guard saw fit to find him liable for everything except rape.

The funny part is he probably wasn’t found liable for rape because Carrol wasn’t clear if it was his penis or his tiny orange fingers he penetrated her with.

So having an absurdly small penis saved him a few million there. Lost him a few with Stormy, lol.

War Boi
Nov 1, 2021
Elon paying for post-Fox Carlson White Power Hour to come to Twitter is my first crack ping of 2023. Not that it isn’t on brand but how did I not see this coming?!

War Boi
Nov 1, 2021

Arcella posted:

who tf is writing TCAs for depression in 2023

Tricyclic’s can still work just fine. Their main disadvantages to SSRI’s are the side effect profiles. Not all patients experience these side effects. Plus, they can be used to help with sleep deprivation associated with depression.

War Boi
Nov 1, 2021
We can all look at this and collectively come to the conclusion that she should have retired a while ago.

But that’s also why none of us will ever be a Senator.

Those people are a separate loving breed of human. Statewide elected officials with an immense amount of power at the federal level.

The types of people who become Senators have a drive and a desire for power and status that is positively clinically insane.

We got some weird states, and a total of 100 senators. Folks like Sanders, Feterman, Cheney, they’re outliers. Good ones, at that. But I digress.

War Boi
Nov 1, 2021
Ah, the Belt and Road Initiative. A "generous" effort by the People's Republic of China to "help" other countries develop infrastructure, while incidentally asserting its global influence. A spectacular display of well-packaged diplomacy and a prime example of economic globalization—or so they'd have us believe.

Let's paint the scene. Here's the PRC, diligently distributing their good fortune to other countries in need. They're like Santa Claus at Christmas, if Santa came bearing infrastructure loans instead of presents, and if those presents were only sometimes functional and occasionally cost the recipients their sovereignty.

China extends loans to other countries to fund big infrastructure projects—roads, ports, railways, you name it. What's the catch? Well, those loans often come with high interest rates, which has led some to describe the initiative as a "debt trap". But hey, who doesn't like a bit of financial jeopardy mixed with their national development plans?

And let's not forget that many of these projects are being built by Chinese companies, using Chinese materials, and often with imported Chinese labor. It's the perfect cycle—China loans you money, you pay a Chinese company to build your infrastructure, and then you owe China the money back, with interest. And the kicker? Some of the infrastructure ends up underperforming, leaving the borrower countries with a pile of debt and a railway to nowhere. It's like paying someone to build you a house, but instead they build a hole in your backyard and hand you the bill.

Critics argue that this puts the borrowing nations in a vulnerable position, potentially eroding their sovereignty. But who needs independence when you've got shiny new infrastructure, right? Plus, it's a fantastic opportunity for the PRC to showcase its world-class standards of transparency and accountability. Oh wait, did I say world-class? I meant, well, it's something else.

It's truly a masterclass in global diplomacy, if global diplomacy were about serving your own interests at the expense of others. All said, the Belt and Road Initiative is a testament to the age-old adage: there's no such thing as a free lunch... or an uncomplicated infrastructure loan from China

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Boi
Nov 1, 2021
I’m laughing at the idea of the PRC doing anything militarily other than unifying Taiwan. (I’m no fan of this) And obviously anywhere they’re bordering. Xi May have global military power projection ambitions, but the vast, vast, majority of Chinese are loving not vibing with that poo poo at all.

Like… I’m trying to remember the last time the PRC was at war outside of driving distance from their border.

Surely it’s happened, but I’m hard pressed to recall it.

Taiwan is literally the geopolitical version of the little blonde college gal w/ braces and knee highs sitting on the couch surrounded by a basketball starting line up’s worth of guys who are all in white boxers and tees.

Edit:
You know the photo I’m talking about.
Except the dudes all have the same face and it’s Chairman Pooh.. err I mean Xi.
I’m not good at photoshop or I’d make it myself and post it in a NSFW thread or spoiler it or something lol.

War Boi fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 21, 2023