Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Don’t forget what comes around goes around:

McNally posted:

Finally home, can finally show off the amazing present I got from Mr. Nice!

Well wrapped, heartfelt note! So far so good!

Inside is a t-shirt. Wait...

That's a big shirt. Don't tell me...

I have been :mcnally:'d!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lake of Methane posted:

I'm watching this press conference in Texas after a search found a mass-shooter, and this guy is standing in the background. Why does his uniform look weird?

y

That's cause he's not military. He's a loving border patrol cop or something like that. The service plate below his big fuckoff badge doesn't say any of the military branches. It's three words but not really intelligible from your screenshot. I think it's US something something.

e: also that camo pattern doesn't seem to be a current us military camo pattern. The giant fuckoff badge and the full bird rank also makes me think non-military.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 3, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

el es la migra.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Clarence Thomas got custody of his great nephew when he was 6. Harlan Crow paid for his tuition at two different boarding schools. None of this was disclosed and the tuition likely eclipsed $150k.

https://www.propublica.org/article/clarence-thomas-harlan-crow-private-school-tuition-scotus

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 4, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Platystemon posted:

So what if it’s a textbook ethics violation and a serious one?

Justices of the Supreme Court are beholden, legally, only to a two-thirds majority in the Senate.

And for whatever power the Court of Public Opinion has, “this guy was taking care of his nephew and his wealthy friend chipped in tuition” is no big deal. It doesn’t matter that that’s an inaccurate summary. They can and they will flood the zone with poo poo.

Yeah there's absolutely nothing that will be done because there is nothing that can be done. It's just amazing to see how brazenly corrupt they are.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Grip it and rip it posted:

I believe all of this information has been made public due to a judicial disclosure law that was passed recently. I'm sure that there are a number of parties with cases before the court that are very interested in what's going on behind the scenes. It does appear that factions within the conservative right have been making very deliberate inroads into SCOTUS in an effort to help shape legal interpretation. Whether that is a tolerable state of affairs for the right, let alone the whole country, remains to be seen.

but yeah I wouldn't wait on congress or SCOTUS if you want to see any type of progress in this country.

The only way congress can do anything is by getting 2/3rds of the senate to be non-republican.

There are 11 current republican senators up in 2024. If all of them flip, the senate will be 62-38. That's enough to pass laws but not enough to impeach.

Republican seats up in 2024: Florida, Indiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska x2, North Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soylent Pudding posted:

All of these civil rights cases from involve a constitutional interpretation called substantive due process. Thomas famously hates the doctrine. In an opinion sometime in the past few years he listed a bunch of civil rights cases that he felt should be overturned because they relied on substantive due process. He hit all but one major civil rights cases yet for some reason Loving was conspicuously absent.

Loving was not found via SDP. Loving was found to have violated the equal protection clause of the 14th.

Substantive Due Process incorporation refers to the method the federal court is using the 14th to impose part of the bill of rights on states. Reminder that federal constitutional amendments for much of our nations history did not apply to state action. They only restricted the federal government. The 14th amendment allows for direct incorporation of the federal amendments on state action through a few channels. The primary two are based on the due process clause and the privileges and immunities clause.

SDP incorporation didn't start with, but it picked up steam with Griswold v. Connecticut. That case was over a Connecticut law that prevented a woman from getting birth control without her husband's consent. That's the real start of the right to privacy in the bill of rights being incorporated via SDP against the states. Roe was the immediate successor to that case. There are a large number of civil rights cases that also use SDP as derived in Griswold because it is the first case they really discussed the unwritten right to privacy that exists throughout the bill of rights.

Thomas is anti-SDP. He has rallied against it in every case that has involved it. If the conservative majority found an SDP incorporation, Thomas would concur with an incorporation method using p&i. If he is opposed, he writes a longwinded dissent about how all SDP incorporation is flawed and should be tossed. Dobbs did not toss SDP incorporation entirely even if Thomas still wants to.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Terrifying Effigies posted:

That's the concept of Chevron deference, named after a 1984 Supreme Court case involving Chevron which established the principle of the courts deferring to a government agency's interpretation of statutes based on that agency's subject matter expertise in the relevant field.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevron_U.S.A.%2C_Inc._v._Natural_Resources_Defense_Council%2C_Inc.?wprov=sfla1

Ironically the original case was something of a Conservative win, since it revolved around Reagan's EPA (run by Neil Gorsuch's mother Anne at the time) deciding to take a more industry-friendly interpretation of Carter's Clean Air Act. During the Reagan era the strategy was to defang regulations the Conservatives hated by putting Conservative appointees in charge of the Executive agencies in charge of enforcement, since they lacked the legislative and judicial control needed to fully repeal/overturn them. Nowadays its become the opposite in that its those pesky woke bureaucrats refusing to play along with the right-wing fringe thats taken over the courts and state governments, so they're tearing down the scaffolding now that they no longer need it.

They've taken a few swings at it the last few sessions with the Covid workplace mandates and West Virginia v EPA, and there's a few more cases coming up that may complete the removal of Chevron.

They explicitly granted cert to a case on the question of "was chevron wrongly decided" so you can read into that what you will.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Wasabi the J posted:

drat it's almost like it was custom made to gently caress up economies, fund criminal enterprises, and put unnecessary strain on first world infrastructure.

It was made so a toy train enthusiast could buy the good poo poo from the UK and get it shipped to California without jumping through currency exchange hoops or getting murdered on exchange rate shenanigans that were standard in the 00s. The unscrupulous types of the world just recognized its potential for criminal use which prompted the train enthusiast to delete everything he had related to it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://twitter.com/RichardHanania/status/1656020296812601345

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Milo and POTUS posted:

25 mils a drop in the bucket for him right? He's in it for the love of the game which im not sure if its better or worse

Correct. He is independently wealthy thanks to his family's food business, Swanson. Elon is also probably paying him more.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Here's the result:

https://twitter.com/NikkiBarnesFL/status/1655934756700430336

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That Works posted:

Does the felony apply to those that hired them knowingly?

(don't @ me it's a rhetorical question)

No just the worker. Employers get escalating fines, though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No we still need President Schwarzenegger

He's not eligible otherwise he would have already ran and won.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's been the better part of a decade, who did he piss off to finally face consequences?

He made a stink about some rep being obviously shithoused on the floor a few weeks ago.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stultus Maximus posted:

I just looked it up and lol, it wasn't "some rep" it was the speaker of the house.
Funny if true, funny if not true!

I couldn't remember if it was the speaker or not so I erred on the side of caution. Despite what Paxton is yelling about, these are republicans running him up. He's hosed.

Also his wife is a state senator and will be one of the jurors in this impeachment. One of the articles against him was giving favors to a real estate developer buddy so he'd keep Paxton's mistress on his payroll.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's just an auto claim. You file with your own insurance while they go collect from the responsible parties and refund your deductible after they get their money. There's no personal injury. There is a fixed amount of damage capped at the value of the vehicle. It will be a pretty trivial claim and should be paid without too much fuss.

That looks like just some body damage at first glance, as well. Not likely to be more than $10-15k and that's if something is majorly damaged. It probably won't even be that much. The racetrack and racing org will pay that claim immediately.

If someone got physically hurt, there would be protracted litigation. Presently, though, this is minor property damage and may not even eclipse the local jurisdiction's small claim maximum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://twitter.com/ragingwoodcock/status/1663166785858797569