Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Holy poo poo, is the ganondorf hilarious laugh animation just a bad interpretation of Matt Mercer over-emoting? I feel like this is how Mercer laughs maniacally with his eyes bugged out and mouth agape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

some DJ Qualls as Stringer Bell-rear end casting imo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

mercer's a mainstay but he doesn't do boomy gravitas that well, and ganondorf's lines are weak enough so that you really need a good basso profundo to make them interesting

The Japanese voice for him seems perfect. I don't know what to call it, but a few gnarly bastards have it in Yakuza and I don't know of an American analogue for the combo of deepish gravelly rattling-chest rumble and the old-cruel-man-who-has-seen-much-and-is-impressed-by-little-because-he-is-confident-his-capability-for-violence-overcomes-any-obstacle-and-is-mildly-amused-and-infuriated-by-any-capable-resistance cadence.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah it seems like american union va's have largely switched generations at this point so there's a lack of strong bass voices. the best we had for a while was steve blum and he's pretty much stepped down except for personal-interest projects. chris sabat's still great but he tends to go for hammy bombast rather than cold menace

tony jay left a hole that can't be filled

e: it's a sin that billy zane didn't stick with voice work. his take on ansem from kingdom hearts could have been recycled on other villains for the next fifty years without getting stale

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Oxxidation posted:

mercer's a mainstay but he doesn't do boomy gravitas that well, and ganondorf's lines are weak enough so that you really need a good basso profundo to make them interesting

Jamieson Price could probably do a killer Ganondorf

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i think mercers goofy take is fine for a cartoony setting like this where every npc is a buffoon. theres a very real disconnect between the characters appearance and his voice but it works i reckon. would still be great to hear a more serious take on it, im tempted to throw on the japanese language pack and check it out

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Check it out for sure. Seems like they have better control over the acting direction in it. The personality shows more in the Japanese VO. The champions in English seemed more focused on trying to keep their forced accents going than anything.

Early on I just left it on English and lol every time you fire off Yunobo it sounds like he's yells "why'd you do it!??"

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Khanstant posted:

Early on I just left it on English and lol every time you fire off Yunobo it sounds like he's yells "why'd you do it!??"

Oh thank god I thought that was just me.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Khanstant posted:

That is what he says. The closed captioning is clearly incorrect

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Check it out for sure. Seems like they have better control over the acting direction in it. The personality shows more in the Japanese VO.

Swapped the VO language and it's miles different across the board, good call.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I doubt foreign VAs get to hear the original voices, if the originals are even recorded before the others, but I wonder if would help them for the vibe of the character better, or if that's ever standard practice when subbing for a movie or show or anything.

Tangent: does Mario have a Japanese voice actor?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It took hours before I could hear "I can do it" instead of "why'd you do it!??" and I was wondering why he was so upset at me that whole time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lol at the final boss saying weapon durability is poo poo

That was the coolest final boss in the series, sorry Wind Waker

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

MrQueasy posted:

Holy poo poo, is the ganondorf hilarious laugh animation just a bad interpretation of Matt Mercer over-emoting? I feel like this is how Mercer laughs maniacally with his eyes bugged out and mouth agape

If I suffer, you must suffer too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNCgpaMlOcs

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/aquatic_ambi/status/1664324456540700672?s=46&t=Mu6ngisnZlTkezPxh7sqCQ

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Broiler Thread

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

so i dunno if im just bad at google or if looking up certain things for this game is particularly annoying because a lot of item names are shared across botw and totk and a lot of the results are seo detail-light ai written pages but i thought id just ask here: is there a set of legs and a headpiece for the zora armor around? i found most of the sets organically after enough time but i still havent found them. fwiw i havent finished the zora main questline yet

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

so i dunno if im just bad at google or if looking up certain things for this game is particularly annoying because a lot of item names are shared across botw and totk and a lot of the results are seo detail-light ai written pages but i thought id just ask here: is there a set of legs and a headpiece for the zora armor around? i found most of the sets organically after enough time but i still havent found them. fwiw i havent finished the zora main questline yet

they exist, I think you can technically obtain them (at least the helm) if you already know exactly where to go ahead of time, but you should get quests for them talking around to people after finishing the zora main quest

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

ah that makes sense im in the middle of it now i just keep getting distracted by searching for upgrade mats/exploring the underground/flying up as high as i can on a balloon and jumping off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

How is listening to Elvis Crespo considered suffering?