Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

This is the thread for talking about Tears of the Kingdom spoilers. No clue if this will keep being used after release, but whatever. Still probably use spoiler tags for anything super huge, I guess, but honestly if people are clicking on the Spoiler Thread they should be prepared for Spoilers. Don't talk about how you got this game suspiciously early either, obviously. Other than that, everything is fair game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
link kills dumbledore

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

For those curious, it's kinda playable on Ryujinx but you should probably give it a couple days, some significant issues still plaguing it. It's fine on actual hardware, of course.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm probably not going to check out this thread too much mostly because, surprisingly enough, I'm liking the story and I don't want to get spoiled about it.

How did everyone get to the ice shrine and then back to the temple of time?

I glued some tree trunks together and climbed them over the ice wall for the former and walked all the way back for the latter but I wonder if I just missed some obvious solution and managed to brute-force my way through the tutorial island.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

lunar detritus posted:

I'm probably not going to check out this thread too much mostly because, surprisingly enough, I'm liking the story and I don't want to get spoiled about it.

I glued some tree trunks together and climbed them over the ice wall for the former and walked all the way back for the latter but I wonder if I just missed some obvious solution and managed to brute-force my way through the tutorial island.

I had to use the tree trunks strat to get up but then I used the new go up power to get to that tree stump that's right outside the door of the shrine and clearly meant to be used for it and there were some gliders on the other side I used to fly down straight to the temple.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol just spent a few minutes on this puzzle that turned out not be one at all. You just swim and climb to the chest.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

there were some gliders on the other side I used to fly down straight to the temple.

I didn't see the gliders until I got back to the temple. :negative:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Game owns once out of sky tutorial. You get the paraglider doing the next quest in Hyrule field so it's real quick.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

lunar detritus posted:

There's a climbable wall under a waterfall between all the frozen walls. I just climbed up there finally. it took me forever to figure out that area

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah a built a huge nerdpole and climbed it up

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Barreft posted:

Game owns once out of sky tutorial. You get the paraglider doing the next quest in Hyrule field so it's real quick.

yeah, honestly, it's a world of difference. I'm kinda worried about the next time I have to go up.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

also jfc this game is huge, just went down one of the big holes and wtf

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
question for the people who've played the game: i know whistle sprinting is out, but is fall damage cancelling still possible? (ie: fall -> go into throwing animation of weapon -> unequip weapon/shield right before hitting the ground)

I know they fixed a lot of glitches, but because that one was only really applicable to the great plateau, maybe they ignored it? might be helpful for this game's tutorial area.

(also goddammit now i want to play too)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How do you save manually? Crashing every now and then, maybe when trying to load too many new shaders at once, idk. Downloading a shader cache for Arceus was helpful but takes time for someone to see enough of the game and effects to build.

I reached an area that seems to be a bonus dead end I go back on but I think I'm gonna just make a hosed up ramp with everything around here.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It's in the menu with all the other stuff, go all the way to the right to get your saves and loads and options.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Blaziken386 posted:

question for the people who've played the game: i know whistle sprinting is out, but is fall damage cancelling still possible? (ie: fall -> go into throwing animation of weapon -> unequip weapon/shield right before hitting the ground)

I know they fixed a lot of glitches, but because that one was only really applicable to the great plateau, maybe they ignored it? might be helpful for this game's tutorial area.

(also goddammit now i want to play too)

Idk about the fall cancelling glitch but in the tutorial area specifically you're kind of "zoned out" from the rest of the game, it seems. If you fall it's like a "bottomless pit" fall and not like falling until you hit the ground

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So I'm not sure if it's mentioned when you first get Ultrahand, but you rotate things with the right bumper.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

goferchan posted:

Idk about the fall cancelling glitch but in the tutorial area specifically you're kind of "zoned out" from the rest of the game, it seems. If you fall it's like a "bottomless pit" fall and not like falling until you hit the ground
no i wasnt talking about leaving the island entirely, because you couldn't fall off the plateau either, but more like... it would be helpful, if there are any climbable things? i have not seen it so i dont know. i assume there's some level of verticality.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do the gliders always have a limited lifespan or just on tutorial island? I was trying to surf to the temple of time but it won't dive fast enough and if I try to make a loop it times out and I fall.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Are the floors in the chasm invisible for anyone else lol

I want to get that dang camera but it's hard to navigate when the ground is seethrough

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Barreft posted:

TotK is kinda the Reverse-BotW so far.

Astonishingly boring and bad tutorial area that leads into a similarly underwhelming first couple minutes on the ground - then you get the parasail back and it’s like the devs were playing a little prank.

Literally every single new thing since that point has been good to loving awesome and now I have whiplash.

Make sure you talk to Robbie in the staging area to get the Camera rune unlocked and take a trip into the Depths. Tons of that Zonai mineral down there; I upgraded my battery with just poo poo I mined incidentally during the Camera quest.

Also the stables keep the horses from your BotW save, including stats :horse:

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

RubricMarine posted:

Are the floors in the chasm invisible for anyone else lol

I want to get that dang camera but it's hard to navigate when the ground is seethrough

Yeah me too. If your case is anything like mine it helps to use the brightblooms anyway because you can see light reflected off the foliage. You should also light up the big roots.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
poo poo is bigger than elden ring its insane. On this loving handheld

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Leathal posted:

Also the stables keep the horses from your BotW save, including stats :horse:
I have so many questions.

Did they increase the amount of Horses you can have registered? Does the game draw from both the regular file and the master mode file or just the former? Does it carry over the horse gear from the file, to the point that you can have warp horse from the get go?

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
No horse gear, just horses and stats so long as they are in stable last time you played botw

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finn the Hylian / Link the Human over here (whichever is funnier)

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Does this have any proper dungeons (or at least better poo poo than BotW shrines/divine beasts)? I just want Zelda to feel like Zelda again.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I've only seen little bits and pieces of the story but I'm utterly fascinated thinking about how the Zelda Timeline podcast I listened to a while ago are gonna fit this into the canon.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
nintendo is just trolling the timeline nerds at this point, it seems like they're establishing botw/totk as its own timeline unrelated to the other games by not really leaving any room for it to be connected to the others except maybe skyward sword.

Hot Stunt posted:

Does this have any proper dungeons (or at least better poo poo than BotW shrines/divine beasts)? I just want Zelda to feel like Zelda again.

it has dungeons but they seem to be the same basic setup as the divine beasts, just a bit more involved. shrines are back too

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Hot Stunt posted:

Full big dungeons, more botwy but big and not deviney, the lead up to them are long and dungeonys themselves. The mine cart area in the last trailer is one of them. Seems like its 151 shrines (which alot seem to do eventide trick on you), 6 dungeons (including castle) and i guess the depths counts as one insanely huge one maybe, and islands too maybe. depends how you look at that.

Johnny Postnemonic fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 2, 2023

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

lih posted:

nintendo is just trolling the timeline nerds at this point, it seems like they're establishing botw/totk as its own timeline unrelated to the other games by not really leaving any room for it to be connected to the others except maybe skyward sword.

it has dungeons but they seem to be the same basic setup as the divine beasts, just a bit more involved. shrines are back too

They drop imprisioning war and then theres fi and oot stuff but then ganondorf might be a different one in the past pre ss/mc lol it owns. Only thing i can think of so far with the info ive gleemed is that maybe theyve retconned demise to have been called ganondorf too? Unless every game is set before zonai times but they claim thats the first kingdom of hyrule lol

Edit: actually, it does fit lmao if its in the loz/aol timeline, the downfall timeline as implied by the imprisioning war line, then hyrule was hosed up in loz and they moved north of death mountain where aol takes place, could be the 10,000 years ago in botw (zonai times) is after loz/aol and they had to reetabishlish the kingdon again in the ruined loz area ( which is just the top section of hyrule as we've always known it) and the zonai did it and current hyrule treat it as the first because records of old hyrule are just wiped away (also timeline convergence theory) That makes more sense tbh. And this new ganondorf is a proper reincarnation since he dies in aol if i recall. The new ganondorf has scenes where he doesnt have the orb in his head (he does later) so i think this has gotta be it. It all rests imo on when and how corpse ganon got sealed, if its in the past with totk zelda then botw/totk is def after loz/aol

Johnny Postnemonic fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 2, 2023

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

lih posted:

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Full big dungeons, more botwy but big and not deviney, the lead up to them are long and dungeonys themselves. The mine cart area in the last trailer is one of them. Seems like its 151 shrines (which alot seem to do eventide trick on you), 6 dungeons (including castle) and i guess the depths counts as one insanely huge one maybe, and islands too maybe. depends how you look at that.

Thanks guys. Sounds like a step up from BotW.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Played up to the end of the first shrine…..game‘s good. But I barely had time to install it on my Deck before I had to go out so no time for optimisation etc and it ran not great (although not that much worse than high-end computers are running it now it sounds like)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

couldn't resist and ended up peaking at a stream for a bit. dude was doing the lead-up to a dungeon and it seemed really lengthy and involved to the point where it almost felt like a dungeon all its own.

if there are a lot of "technically not a dungeon but feels like one" sections like that in this game I can definitely vibe with that

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Augus posted:

couldn't resist and ended up peaking at a stream for a bit. dude was doing the lead-up to a dungeon and it seemed really lengthy and involved to the point where it almost felt like a dungeon all its own.

if there are a lot of "technically not a dungeon but feels like one" sections like that in this game I can definitely vibe with that

Youre gonna be vibing out into another dimension

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Youre gonna be vibing out into another dimension

gently caress yeah

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Seems like its 151 shrines (which alot seem to do eventide trick on you),

Oh no not Eventide poo poo. I’ve never been good enough at BOTW to finish that… How many is a lot? :ohdear:

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

For those of you playing on v2/OLED switches, how's the performance docked vs handheld? Randos have said 20-25 fps which seems... Off.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Did weapon durability make its return?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Saucer Crab posted:

Did weapon durability make its return?

That was confirmed even in the gameplay demos I believe.