Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Finished the game and promptly watched the first speedrun

holy poo poo. They really DID take everything about BOTW and amplify it like 2.2 times over. Playing through the game, I thought there would be no way to emulate the endgame feel of BOTW, but it's like the EXACT same, you just need to fight your way through an absolute army of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
snowboard kids devs getting work, I'm glad

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

This last diving challenge is an absolute MFer. drat clouds mean I can’t see where I’m meant to go so it’s just kinda about memorising the route I guess which is a pain compared to the others especially with the added danger

Make sure you're wearing the clothes from previous versions and then it's easy at full dive speed

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CJ posted:

Am i forgetting something about how to get into the lost woods? As soon as i step into it it teleports me out, i thought there was a path to the centre.

I have a quest to visit the Deku Tree and i can't figure out if i'm just being dumb.

As above so below

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

Make sure you're wearing the clothes from previous versions and then it's easy at full dive speed

Yeah it wasn’t the doing it so much as the not being able to see where the rings and platforms were because of the cloud cover. But I got there eventually and now I soar through the sky fast as poo poo omg it kicks rear end

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

How many main quests do I need to do to unlock all the basic functionality? I have the paraglider, and my latest main quests are "regional phenomena" and "impa and the geoglyphs". Is there anything else I should unlock for the new ipad or should I be good?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Appoda posted:

How many main quests do I need to do to unlock all the basic functionality? I have the paraglider, and my latest main quests are "regional phenomena" and "impa and the geoglyphs". Is there anything else I should unlock for the new ipad or should I be good?

Talk to Robbie and Josha at Lookout Landing and do their first quest.

I just kinda decided to wander over to Eventide on a whim to see what’s what and I ended up doing that whole quest AND the colosseum in the depths beneath without dying and now I have extremely high-level weapons for where I actually am in the game lmao I haven’t even got all the towers on this version and only done the one dungeon (12 hearts and two stamina wheels). I feel pretty good about that! Spears are so OP I love them. The helmet you get there is pretty fuckin rad too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah it wasn’t the doing it so much as the not being able to see where the rings and platforms were because of the cloud cover. But I got there eventually and now I soar through the sky fast as poo poo omg it kicks rear end

The freaking immunity from fall damage is amazing. Just gotta remember to have the outfit on before I do a face slam for the sky

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Appoda posted:

Joshas quests at lookout town unlock a key ability. Progressing Robbie's quest unlocks some minor functionality. You may or may not need to investigate one regional phenomenal before some of that progresses

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

https://twitter.com/Teiman/status/1657517961513431046

so far this is the best vehicle for me, fast, high maneurability and cheap

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Bro, I dropped this large crystal in Tarrey Town and it rolled like a mile down the hill lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bro build a car

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Bro build a car

I know, i need to build poo poo more

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

My first battletank.

https://twitter.com/Teiman/status/1657690349769244672

Hopefully it works..

Edit:
is kinda trash

Tei fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 14, 2023

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Any suggestions folks have as “I wish I did this earlier”?

I don’t care about spoilers or surprises, I just want to avoid wasting time with my limited schedule for games.

Basic things I’m thinking of are:
-how to get stamina up quickly
-how to get the armor/shield/etc that will carry through a good chunk of the game
-secrets that open up the world faster

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Any suggestions folks have as “I wish I did this earlier”?

I don’t care about spoilers or surprises, I just want to avoid wasting time with my limited schedule for games.

Basic things I’m thinking of are:
-how to get stamina up quickly
-how to get the armor/shield/etc that will carry through a good chunk of the game
-secrets that open up the world faster

Do Robbie and Josha's quests ASAP.

Also follow the breadcrumbs to Rito village and tackle that Temple first. It not only gets you Hetsu access if you follow the roads, the ability you get for clearing the temple is incredible and makes getting around both faster and easier.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I love how wells are mini-dungeons of varying degree now.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I wish I found Hestu before exploring the majority of the world except the one spot he was occupying and going to the lost woods to find his home, though he will move if you do one temple.

Just unlock your camera/autobuild early and get more battery juice for vehicles early from bosses in the depths so you can trade in your horse for horsepower to get around.

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
Have managed to commit the bow dupe glitch to muscle memory, after which I cloned about 20k worth of diamonds, 50 big hearty radishes, 50 large zonai charges for capsule dispensers, and a bunch of large zonaite for battery expansion. I feel much less irritated with the game's economic scarcity, now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

I love how wells are mini-dungeons of varying degree now.

Does every well have something inside? Actually do they get check marks at all. I swear some have ended up having the froggy snowflakes or some mini dungeon loot or whatever, while others have been like... A real well, hole with water at bottom, maybe some ore or fish. Always feel like I'm missing something in those but no bomvable rocks or hidden crevice to duck through.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mario Incandenza posted:

Have managed to commit the bow dupe glitch to muscle memory, after which I cloned about 20k worth of diamonds, 50 big hearty radishes, 50 large zonai charges for capsule dispensers, and a bunch of large zonaite for battery expansion. I feel much less irritated with the game's economic scarcity, now.

I have been engaged with the resource scarcity and exploration loop in this game, but I know full well the satisfaction of removing a resource system you're not enjoying out of the way and it's nice.

I got over 20k rupees selling normal gems and diamonds and such a couple days ago and went absolutely hog wild on the dream home. With your new wealth, you should go tinker with your dream house because this entire thread is slacking. Post your houses, I can't be the only one.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tei posted:

My first battletank.

https://twitter.com/Teiman/status/1657690349769244672

Hopefully it works..

Edit:
is kinda trash

Front wheels being small wheels might help it go faster and maneuver better. The big wheels are better for off roading over hills and streams but I always plop on some little ones up front if I need speed or to point myself better.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
A late-game spoiler I managed to start halfway through:

Am I insane, or is everything about controlling Mineru worse than just going on foot? She drains your battery just to walk, she's slower and can't dodge enemy attacks nearly as well, the weapons you put on her hands don't last any longer or do more damage than if you just use them as Link, whatever damage she takes just goes straight to Link anyway. On the trip to her Temple the game's throwing silver Moblins at me, and I just whack it once, it takes a couple pixels of damage, it falls down and gets up, and that repeats twenty times. Maybe I didn't use her guard ability enough, is that more effective than a good shield?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

A good poster posted:

A late-game spoiler I managed to start halfway through:

Am I insane, or is everything about controlling Mineru worse than just going on foot? She drains your battery just to walk, she's slower and can't dodge enemy attacks nearly as well, the weapons you put on her hands don't last any longer or do more damage than if you just use them as Link, whatever damage she takes just goes straight to Link anyway. On the trip to her Temple the game's throwing silver Moblins at me, and I just whack it once, it takes a couple pixels of damage, it falls down and gets up, and that repeats twenty times. Maybe I didn't use her guard ability enough, is that more effective than a good shield?

I rather appreciated the fact that the game makes you immediately run through a guantlet so you can appreciate how terrible at combat the mech is, although part of me wonders if it's not an issue where the world and enemies can scale up but the mechanisms/mineru's damage doesn't, so if you spent any time loving around maybe it feels worse than it would if it were all still browns and blues?

really though I just threw cannons on her arms and use her for excavation to save durability and bombs

e: I'm doing her first on a no-paraglider-so-far run so maybe I'll get mileage out of no fall damage, if that's a thing that works

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 20, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think it's rare for an open world game with scaling enemies to hand you a new alternate combat mode/murder vehicle and for it to not just feel much slower/clunkier with animation locks/lower damage then what you as the player can do or pull out of your pocket to do more at that point in the game after you've mastered the combat systems and have a zillion consumables.

Probably because it just gets playtested less or the developers focus on the fancy animations without noticing how unfun it is to be locked in place doing them for long periods for peltry damage.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
oh screw you game

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How early in the game do you have to be for that message?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I don't have a paraglider, so apparently at least that early

gonna gently caress around some and see if I can figure out exactly what the requirements to allow it are

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Probably getting your first sage.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Go for the world first wind temple no paraglider run.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
as someone whose favourite dogs are border collies I cannot stress enough just how incredibly win the dog animations are in this game. I dont give a gently caress about the treasure I'm just throwing these guys juicy raw steaks when I see em

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Go for the world first wind temple no paraglider run.

I've got 3 piece owl set and I'm working on upgrading it so I can make an attempt at using vehicles instead of a paraglider for the situations that require it

i guess technically speaking "have enough fairies to just survive fatal falls" would also be an option

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
It has to be the paraglider, I did it with no temples

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
yeeeah, confirmed 1 sage didn't help

interestingly, if you do a region without visiting lookout landing they do have explicit "hey uh have you checked out lookout landing yet, you should do that" dialogue

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Can someone give me a hint on where to find the hint in the game for what to do with the heart island under the Observation Deck in the far-southern depths?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Am I crazy or is Tulin the same voice actor who usually voices Tails in the Sonic games?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

Am I crazy or is Tulin the same voice actor who usually voices Tails in the Sonic games?

Nope, it was bugging me too and the most notable thing I could find on IMDB was her as the English version protagonist's voice of that French Ladybug superhero series.

Also Ganondorf's voice in this is real fuckin bad. It's not even the acting-- it's the huge disconnect between the pure ancient evil jacked wizard thief king sounding like a 32-year-old Target manager holding a morning shift meeting. He sounds like pleated khakis.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
He sounds like a really evil Yakuza boss to me

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Nope, it was bugging me too and the most notable thing I could find on IMDB was her as the English version protagonist's voice of that French Ladybug superhero series.

Also Ganondorf's voice in this is real fuckin bad. It's not even the acting-- it's the huge disconnect between the pure ancient evil jacked wizard thief king sounding like a 32-year-old Target manager holding a morning shift meeting. He sounds like pleated khakis.

That's Matt Mercer doing his best ok :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
mercer's a mainstay but he doesn't do boomy gravitas that well, and ganondorf's lines are weak enough so that you really need a good basso profundo to make them interesting