Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.

CJ posted:

This is the opposite of true. If you are at full health you can't be one shot so 3 hearts and some food to top you back up is perfectly viable. Get that stamina.

did not know that, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You also max out on stamina really fast. I'd add another ring or two if I could. And in some ways lower hearts is easier because of the one shot protection, since I often don't make myself good enough food to get back up to full and then get swiped and a fairy pops.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CJ posted:

This is the opposite of true. If you are at full health you can't be one shot so 3 hearts and some food to top you back up is perfectly viable. Get that stamina.

I'm guessing you need to be completely topped off to avoid being 1-shot? I was 1-shot by a Lizalfos yesterday at what I thought was full health, but I may have been missing a quarter of a heart or something.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ytlaya posted:

I'm guessing you need to be completely topped off to avoid being 1-shot? I was 1-shot by a Lizalfos yesterday at what I thought was full health, but I may have been missing a quarter of a heart or something.

I'm like 90% sure there's an internal cooldown on that mechanic to prevent people from just eating a couple of apples and living forever, but I've never sat down to check

I also don't know how it interacts with gloom-damaged hearts

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like I've been one shot as well. Weird.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I've been one shot plenty even at like 10 hearts soooo yeah

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I dug this up from discussion about Breath of the Wild, I suspect a similar idea is still in play, even if the values are tweaked

quote:

- Link must have full health
- the attack must not deal multiple instances of damage (elemental, knockbacking fall, more than one-hit, etc.)
- the damage dealt by the attack must not be more than 20 above the combined sum of Link's HP and armor value (aka, if you have 3 hearts and 1-armor pants, an attack that does 25 or more damage will still 1 shot you)

basically yeah those armor def upgrades are important since one piece of fully-upgraded armor prevents an entire row of hearts from potentially being knocked off per attack

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 11, 2023

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

It works!,

I just glued a spoon to a train car and now have a trancar-spoon axe.

Also, wow... all the mythic heroes you help with their no-divinebeast end following you around. This is going to look like a musou soon with 4+1 fighters

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Is bullet time bouncing still around or did they fix that

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Lol, my strongest weapon at the moment is a Bokoblin arm fused with a Bokoblin arm.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Crawfish posted:

Lol, my strongest weapon at the moment is a Bokoblin arm fused with a Bokoblin arm.

I'm sure that will last about 2 hits.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I love when the fused weapon breaks before the main blade lol. Also gently caress spears when you can fuse a spear to a sword and use the shield and have spear reach.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

CJ posted:

I'm sure that will last about 2 hits.
You'd think so but it's gone through whacking a bunch of Zonai poo poo in shrines and hasn't become damaged yet.

Easily replaceable half the time too.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Kohga is a bastard man geez

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I see a cool Witch Hut in the distant dark, wow, so excited to meet some witches and drink a weird potion and fight a pickle PSYCHE it's nerds on wheels and new schematic I'll never remember to use

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

After putting like 60 hours into the game over the past 9 days or whatever I think I agree with the reviews? I am getting kind of burnt out though and might take the weekend off. I don't know if it's because it's basically the same map but I am getting fatigued quicker than I thought I would. Still a great game though. I hope I finish it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Wiltsghost posted:

After putting like 60 hours into the game over the past 9 days or whatever I think I agree with the reviews? I am getting kind of burnt out though and might take the weekend off. I don't know if it's because it's basically the same map but I am getting fatigued quicker than I thought I would. Still a great game though. I hope I finish it.

60 hours in 9 days is a whole lot.

e: if you're about to say you didn't feel the same with BOTW, remember you've aged like 7 years since then. we're old as gently caress

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Barreft posted:

60 hours in 9 days is a whole lot.

It is. I definitely need a break lol.

e: it's actually the opposite, I did the same with botw and ended up not finishing it or stopping at the Gannon fight, can't even remember

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't go looking for reviews but the ones I've been unable to avoid have been pretty positive.

And yeah burning out just seems like just take a break. This is a huge game, some people are going to take years to get through it like how some folks still poking around in Skyrim.

Hell some people aren't even going to get off the starter island for a couple sessions lol

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I guess a better way to put it is I've played for that long and feel like I've barely made a dent in the game. It's sort of intimidating.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Wiltsghost posted:

I guess a better way to put it is I've played for that long and feel like I've barely made a dent in the game. It's sort of intimidating.

That's a much better way to put it lol

I love how all the dungeon bosses have underground versions

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 12, 2023

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
hydra dragon has got hands

and also too much health

edit: I will say, one negative to this game in comparison to botw is it does feel like it takes longer to do anything then botw, and it does, on account of there being four separate maps between the skyworld, overworld, cave... world, and underworld and it leading you around to all four. esp given you can only horse in one of them. then you have to fill out two maps and both are slightly more involved then touch the thing (sometimes, anyway) and just getting the ball rolling takes longer

what I'm saying is link should have had a summonable motorbike from the beginning

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 12, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You can make a motorbike whenever you want.

Anytime you are watching your stamina wheel drain while on the ground you should be wondering why you aren't making a vehicle with your thousand orbs.

Speaking of, this desert race is really hard. I keep making a vehicle that can get halfway there. Waste a bunch of Zonai charge trying to power through and then losing my vehicle entirely or it gets stuck. Good challenge though, most of the other vehicle bits have been one and done.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gamerofthegame posted:

hydra dragon has got hands

and also too much health

yeah I didn't really bother with those before having Good Weapons and +atk poo poo (although bananas are omnipresent this time around so there's no reason to not go into every single miniboss fight with +3)

they're not hard since all of them have something to hide behind to LoS their attacks, but once they're down it just takes so long to do anything to them

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Speaking of, this desert race is really hard. I keep making a vehicle that can get halfway there. Waste a bunch of Zonai charge trying to power through and then losing my vehicle entirely or it gets stuck. Good challenge though, most of the other vehicle bits have been one and done.

Got it after complaining. Trick is paraglider glue to sled with one fan on the sled on top of glider so when it pops you just convert into a fan-sled.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

CJ posted:

Did you get the autobuild from next to the foundry and fight the boss? I'm pretty sure that's what it wants you to do based on the quest text but i had already done it when i talked to her.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

it's not obvious if you don't have the place lit up but there's both the giant statue under-underground and a forge and a couple of NPCs on the "roof"-- it's the latter that josha actually wants you to investigate

I found 2 other abandoned mines before the Central one :negative:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Dude I feel like Ive been all over the desert and not found a single block to blast my rear end into the sky from. Like I'm sure I could maybe fly there from Skylands nearby outside the desert but I'm just surprised because literally everywhere else in the game has had ample blocks to rewind to get up high.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I'm looking forward to see if TOTK has a badass goosebump-inducing cutscene like BOTW did. I never get tired of the DBs shootin their big blue lasers in Ganon's face.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Just found some crazy poo poo holy poo poo my god

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Boba Pearl posted:

What?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Boba Pearl posted:

Lol c'mon now share

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
There was a rupee under a rock

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
No but really it's the dragon saddle

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Like I wish you had more control over where the dragon goes, but just riding it is pretty cool, and it goes over all the major spots like a train.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
When you beat a Flux Construct miniboss, it drops a cylindrical spiky thing that doesn't have a Compendium entry, but I can pick it up with Ultrahand. The Compendium entries for the Flux Constructs all mention that they have cores with lots of power, so I assume that's what the cylinder is, but it doesn't act as a battery when I attach it to Zonai machines. What does it do?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Huh, wearing the vah rudinia or w/e amiibo flame guard helm equips it on Yunobo too

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

A good poster posted:

When you beat a Flux Construct miniboss, it drops a cylindrical spiky thing that doesn't have a Compendium entry, but I can pick it up with Ultrahand. The Compendium entries for the Flux Constructs all mention that they have cores with lots of power, so I assume that's what the cylinder is, but it doesn't act as a battery when I attach it to Zonai machines. What does it do?

You stick it on your sword and hit things with it.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Wiltsghost posted:

I feel like I've been one shot as well. Weird.

Attacks with elemental properties deal both a base damage and elemental damage on top of it, getting around the One Hit KO immunity. This was true in Breath of the Wild. Explosions deal fire damage that has a small damage over time effect so mistiming a bomb flower toss blowing you up for all your hearts is a thing.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

A good poster posted:

its very strong and has a ton of endurance when you fuse it to a zonai sword or spear hilt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Barreft posted:

Huh, wearing the vah rudinia or w/e amiibo flame guard helm equips it on Yunobo too

Those masks claim to "increase your bond" with the associated race, I'm very curious if it actually mechanically increases their damage done since "increasing your bond" is what those sage will upgrades claim to do too

A good poster posted:

anything that drops on the ground but can't be picked up in your pocket or hands is meant to be fused

goron area spoilers, for an additional fun treat try fusing the rocks that the goron area boss attacks you with