Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah game owns. gently caress those red hands tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have been applying all the lessons I learned from BotW so I have been skipping all the combat I can. Why bother fighting camps if the prize is an opal.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
It's Nintendo so I doubt it but are there any accessibility options? I really want to pick this up and I probably will either way since the free form nature of the game is its own kind of accessibility but I'd really like to know what's included since they've been mum about it and the leaks are out there.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
This game is so loving good. I’m pretty sure the Depths are my favorite place to explore in any video game so far.

I built an armored Mad Max car with six headlights and 360 flame cannons and just do donuts around the underground monster camps laughing maniacally until everything is dead.

I love how all the new mechanics are stacked on normal mobs in the Depths to make even Bokoblins fairly dangerous. Stone armor on a Gloomed Boko Rider with a spear is fuckin scary.

Big fan of the Genshin hypostasis knockoff minibosses too.

Anybody know what the different Sage abilities do? I finished Wind Temple last night and he gives horizontal Ravioli’s Gale on a short cooldown that you can use while gliding.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

queeb posted:

yeah game owns. gently caress those red hands tho

Idk what they even do besides drop 2 anti-darkness foods. Every time they've showed up, I was like climbing or something and think there's a sudden midday blood moon and then I look back and there's some hands disappearing and leaving the items.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Is it as hard as im hearing? Like enemies taking 10 hearts off you in one hit and other "hard mode" type of area stuff compared to the surface?

Some vague spoilers for underground stuff, but nothing super specific.

There have been some enemies that were perfectly fine at 4 hearts and weapons with ~12ish strength. There were also some that completely wrecked my poo poo. One issue is that it can be hard to determine exactly how many enemies and what strength they are in a particular camp because its so dark. Which I like. I have mostly been running for my life. I got some treasure in one camp by sending in a contraption for distraction, going up in a hot air balloon and gliding to the top of a tower. Also fought two "bosses with boss health bars" so far. Beat one but by the time I got to the 2nd I was out of weapons and food so I bailed and will return.

Its nice that there are some other things to find in chests other than weapons and materials, posted in a separate spoiler below.

Specific Chest Reward spoiler: Schematics is a neat way to add some other stuff to find. I got a tron light bike schematic from an encampment.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

equipment/possible underground stuff I don't mind especially since I never bothered grabbing a lot of it, but it's funny how apparently a lot of the useful DLC gear from BotW got repurposed as regular rewards in TotK, and mostly in the underground I think?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Wiltsghost posted:

It feels like there is a lot more stuff that you stumble across in this game compared to the previous one. Like over every hill it seems there is a new cave to explore or camp or whatever. Unless I'm completely forgetting how the first game was. The world feels a lot more alive which is awesome.

the last game had 80% of people in the thread sharing weird things they'd found and commenting on how goddamn much of it felt like "sharing game hearsay at recess pre-internet", myself included, and I seem to recall that was part of the intent of the game being set up the way it was in the first place

much like then, not even having the option of looking things up goes a long way towards that vibe instead of knowing ahead of time "yeah I know where the good stuff is so everything else is automatically known ahead of time to be bad stuff"

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I can only point to og BOTW and Elden Ring recently as the games I played socially where I got a thrill out of saying "did you see X?" and my circle of people sharing it all had a different answer of "no, did you see Y, or Z?" and having wildly divergent experiences.

I wasn't even a fromsoft liker, but getting to share the social aspect of discovery really propelled me through the first 80 or so hours of that game. I'm feeling the same about my first 10 or so hours of this.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

the last game had 80% of people in the thread sharing weird things they'd found and commenting on how goddamn much of it felt like "sharing game hearsay at recess pre-internet", myself included, and I seem to recall that was part of the intent of the game being set up the way it was in the first place

much like then, not even having the option of looking things up goes a long way towards that vibe instead of knowing ahead of time "yeah I know where the good stuff is so everything else is automatically known ahead of time to be bad stuff"

i really love this period. you get it for a few days sometimes with new games at official launches, days before the wikis and crawlers can generate SEO pages for every game question. but here, like, if you really do want to look something up you mostly find nothing but vague stuff from like the most goofball people with no clue what's going on. Which is good, you just stop looking up answer and figure it out or move on. I've ran into several things where I'm like hmmm.... I'll have to come back to you, not sure what your deal is yet. exciting!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

i really love this period. you get it for a few days sometimes with new games at official launches, days before the wikis and crawlers can generate SEO pages for every game question. but here, like, if you really do want to look something up you mostly find nothing but vague stuff from like the most goofball people with no clue what's going on. Which is good, you just stop looking up answer and figure it out or move on. I've ran into several things where I'm like hmmm.... I'll have to come back to you, not sure what your deal is yet. exciting!

the real hilarity is the reuse of locations and items is going to poison the SEO well in both directions lol

I honestly love it though, I know there are some people complaining that having the same world/locations is "lazy" but it just feels like playing pokemon gold/silver but having access to kanto first thing, being able to go back to places you explicitly remember from the last games and finding how old NPCs are doing since last time/what's changed or finding references to things that were there in the last game (or in some cases, things that will effectively only screw with players of the previous game based on their prior expectations of what was there last time)

i felt moderately seen loving around the great plateau and finding both a "nostalgia fabric" paraglider reskin where the botw paraglider was and a "haha get hosed idiot" trap in the old shrine of resurrection and that's probably just scratching the surface in that area alone

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ohh I hadn't gone back to great plateau. I finally got to tarrey town and it was magical. The map reuse adds to the game for sure. I kinda want to fire up BotW on my switch and just compare and contrast locations. I'm sure there will be a bajillion YouTube's of that soon enough though.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
seriously, i've played like 20 hours+ and I still can't find where to trade in my seeds. Where the hell

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BabyRyoga posted:

seriously, i've played like 20 hours+ and I still can't find where to trade in my seeds. Where the hell

i keep meaning to go push the mainline plot because the poop rattler's probably standing on the side of the road leading into one of the main areas again but I keep getting distracted

i tried going to the lost woods directly but apparently there's a giant ineffable "gently caress off, no solicitors" there for presumably-plot-reasons

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

BabyRyoga posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he can appear in multiple places, but at least one is on the road heading towards the rito village, up the hill from the stable where impa is hanging out. Then he moves to lookout landing

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Does he recognize you if you have a botw save?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BabyRyoga posted:

on the path to one of the towers west of the lookout town area? sorry i don't remember specifics because he immediately hosed off after i met him

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

BurningBeard posted:

It's Nintendo so I doubt it but are there any accessibility options? I really want to pick this up and I probably will either way since the free form nature of the game is its own kind of accessibility but I'd really like to know what's included since they've been mum about it and the leaks are out there.

No, it's still piss poor. You can't even remap the controls.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god drat owns, ive done nothing but explore 2 areas, havent even built any contraptions yet, just fuckin riding around exploring for the last 8 hours. I need to dig into the depths

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i keep meaning to go push the mainline plot because the poop rattler's probably standing on the side of the road leading into one of the main areas again but I keep getting distracted

i tried going to the lost woods directly but apparently there's a giant ineffable "gently caress off, no solicitors" there for presumably-plot-reasons

Haha I'm in the same boat. I'll do the main quests right away... Just as soon as I finish pursuing 15 other arbitrary impulsive goals.

Not looking for an answer but my guess for entering lost woods cloud is going underground nearby. I spent the least time underground so far just bc emulator makes it harder than intended with inviso floor. It's still kinda fun in its own hosed up way, probably simulating darkness void better than the real graphics... But anything vertical or needing a jump or fine movement is a hassle with inviso floors. The grass particles help but game has very short range on those.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

No, it's still piss poor. You can't even remap the controls.

Oh man kept meaning to check because first thing I had to do was switch a couple buttons around. I thought I was maybe going to play on Switch too at release... But remuscling controls is a no go at this point. Already translating the swapped Nintendo symbol promos and images into PS5 buttons into memory, can't bother undoing that. Hopefully they fix the floor and rock texture, otherwise it's good enough to not want to wanna redo and readjust to awkward of controls.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Playing on an emulator is nice since you can change keybinds in ryujinx. I just can't get used to where Nintendo puts the a and b buttons so I switch that around even though it doesn't match what's on screen.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so by the sounds of it exploring the underground is worth it early on?

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
The Switch has system-level button remapping. Go to Options -> Controller and Sensors -> Change Button Mapping.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

queeb posted:

Depends? Not worth it for some of us playing on emulator because there's a bug that prevents the ground and geometry textures from loading in. Good thing theres hundreds of non depths hours of game to play while it gets worked on.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

queeb posted:

kind of hard to say "hard yes" on that (depending on your definition of "early"), the amount of pitch black and high vertical spaces makes it feel like one of those things where on your second playthrough you might be able to beeline for "the good stuff" but if you want to explore it and not be miserable doing so you're going to want some decent equipment/supplies before really going whole hog on it, it's not like botw's castle where you can just bumble blindly around a small area, dodge a few enemies and come out absolutely stacked

i found one of the semi-nostalgia-things underground specifically Midna's helmet and it took A Lot Of Facegrinding to get it at 4 hearts and poo poo armor when it involved what-I-assume-is-unscaled fight waves with black/white bokoblins, and I only pulled it off because the last wave had one that happened to be using bomb arrows and did a fair amount of legwork nearly TKing themselves for me

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lmao loving, found a wing underground, slapped 3 wheels on it and 2 fans and i'm just flying around the depths now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

queeb posted:

Not sure what you mean "worth it." Everything seems worth exploring if you're having a good time. Just doing surface shrines since leaving the sky tutorial, like, I'm always stocked with more weapons than I can use and all decent ones.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i guess i meant it more as like, how hard is it on like 5 hearts, should i wait longer etc, but so far its not bad at 7 hearts.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Was getting my rear end kicked by a tree last night and just now realized I could have maybe used fire. It didn't appear to have a health bar though so I'm not sure. As I was running away I got struck by lightning and died. 10/10 gaming there.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
has anyone uhhh i dont know how to spoiler this, i havent seen it mentioned in this thread but its in like, the resetera one, and i dont know if its before or after the midpoint of the game, but it regards ganon and what hes doing while you are on hyrule surface and its a gameplay mechanic

but how often is phantom ganondorf hunting you down? is it everywhere all the time just rare and rng? or is it only during a bloodmoon? (the pic i saw everything was red) but i just wanna know how he turns up, is it like mr.x from re2 or something, or more like the bigger yiga clan members from botw one? i know he keeps turning up but i dont know if its from after you get on the surface or if its after hyrule castle

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Wiltsghost posted:

Was getting my rear end kicked by a tree last night and just now realized I could have maybe used fire. It didn't appear to have a health bar though so I'm not sure. As I was running away I got struck by lightning and died. 10/10 gaming there.

you should have axed mr. tree a question

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Namnesor posted:

Has the soundtrack been datamined yet? I've played an hour and I think I've had my fill until the official release, but after what I've heard thus far the one thing I am absolutely okay being spoiled on is the music.

yeah, this account is uploading some of em

https://www.youtube.com/@FanSoundtrack

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Ok yeah it's worth going into the depths, found something cool in the middle

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Ojetor posted:

you should have axed mr. tree a question

Sigh. I knew it would be something easy. Still trying to wrap my brain around how things work.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The game runs like poo poo on my PC on Ryujinx, but there was just a little unofficial mod released that lets Yuzu actually start up the game and it runs at a flawless locked 30 at 1440p....but as soon as you pick up a fused weapon it breaks the save entirely. However, this is with zero optimisations for the game at all, so signs are extremely encouraging that once the game actually releases and the emulator devs can actually do some work on it without risking Nintendo obliterating them, we'll be in for a good time on the emulators. Seeing how BOTW runs these days on CEMU has me really excited.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Any weapon that can chop a tree should hurt it sufficiently, but an axe type weapon definitely does the job and keeps it stunlocled so outside of the initial startle it's just a tree with more loot than usual (assuming you grab the lizards and bugs before they scamper away)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Khanstant posted:

Oh man kept meaning to check because first thing I had to do was switch a couple buttons around. I thought I was maybe going to play on Switch too at release... But remuscling controls is a no go at this point. Already translating the swapped Nintendo symbol promos and images into PS5 buttons into memory, can't bother undoing that. Hopefully they fix the floor and rock texture, otherwise it's good enough to not want to wanna redo and readjust to awkward of controls.

Someone made a quick patch and posted it on reddit that allows you to launch the game on Yuzu and the underground textures actually work there (but enough other stuff is broken/unstable that it's not worth switching from Ryujinx) -- very confident they'll have fixes in shortly after the game launches for real. I will probably switch to Switch at that point though

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Wiltsghost posted:

Sigh. I knew it would be something easy. Still trying to wrap my brain around how things work.

it's honestly great because it's so incredibly not video-gamey that you almost have to re-learn it

"giant ice cubes? I bet I'll need to get some special thing to melt tho-- no, just put wood next to it and set it on fire, right, right"

"giant tree monster? why is my spear doing noth-- right, fire arrows and an axe, right"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Came across a base-lookin area so spent an hour doing the thing I’d seen on the gameplay vids and trying to build stuff to fly into it in some way. Couldn’t figure it out so just decided to walk in there and check it out.

It was Lookout Landing.