Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I can only point to og BOTW and Elden Ring recently as the games I played socially where I got a thrill out of saying "did you see X?" and my circle of people sharing it all had a different answer of "no, did you see Y, or Z?" and having wildly divergent experiences.

I wasn't even a fromsoft liker, but getting to share the social aspect of discovery really propelled me through the first 80 or so hours of that game. I'm feeling the same about my first 10 or so hours of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

queeb posted:

so by the sounds of it exploring the underground is worth it early on?

Depends? Not worth it for some of us playing on emulator because there's a bug that prevents the ground and geometry textures from loading in. Good thing theres hundreds of non depths hours of game to play while it gets worked on.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Icedude posted:

Are the Yiga back? They seem like they'd be loving this Ganondorf poo poo.

I haven't touched the depths yet due to an emulation bug, but I revisited the Great Plateau and had a great encounter in the old cave of resurrection.

w00tazn posted:

So uh do seeds de-spawn overtime? I went back to the sky smelter dude and the entire area was reset and had zero seeds... (getting back there sucks)

If they do de-spawn, I might have wasted a ton down in the depths lol :(

I think they respawn with blood moons? I went back to the zonai mine from the start to find more ore and that and the buds all respawned.

Darkness being a real mechanic feels Very Zelda to me in a way that I'm vibing with. I can't wait to do dumb stuff with Zonai Mirrors. Related, found a sky island with a Mirror Shield puzzle out Gerudo way. This is real Zelda poo poo right here.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

A lot of the design decisions seem like they're informed by the response to what was a format breaking game in the original botw. The Great Island is more traditional because it has to both teach people who are new to it after hearing that BOTW is one of the best games ever, and this is the time to GET IN to what your social circles are experiencing together, and also, wants to bring in fans that were not as keen on the original by giving them the scaffolding they need to be propelled forward.

Being given an open ended problem is not everyone's cup of tea, similarly being tutorialized to death a la skyward sword can equally put people off. So you kinda have to ride a fine line. It's constrained in such a way as to let those who want to break out of the structure do so and start getting creative with the abilities in places, while offering a set path with gentle nudges on where to go next.

I think the Plateau rode a bit closer to the open ended find you own fun paradigm, while for some this can be a bit closer to skyward sword.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

There feels like a lot more quest pointing here than in early botw. Once you're off the plateau you have None Direction until you stumble on a breadcrumb pointing you to Kakariko->Hateno->??? But here, you get more right out the gate with a trek to the castle, teaching you how to use the towers, sending you into the depths with the old man. I'm pretty sure they're pointing me towards Rito Village next, but I'm being deliberately obtuse and going out of my way to just explore.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Blaziken386 posted:

The king literally tells you to go to kakariko, that's not exactly a breadcrumb

Oh huh, I forgot he even puts the map marker down for you. The journey there does allow for a lot of detours, whereas here it's a bit more immediate and closer until you finish the depths excursion.

I very pointedly decided to ignore the depths stuff though. I went directly to kakariko to get my early game stealth suit and mirror my early game BOTW route, only to get suckered into a sidequest (that I read wrong) which sent me to Hateno and now i'm running an election campaign and fighting Pirates.

If I'm making it sound bad it's probably down to the choice of my words, I greatly enjoyed tutorial island and felt it was a more interesting environment than the Plateau. Each tutorial segment had the moment where I said "huh, how am I going to get there?" when I looked through the scope and pinned a shrine, but I enjoyed the path from shrine to shrine more here. It just feels denser and more authored in a way to make sure you don't miss important things while giving you bits of story.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Battle Talus makes me grin from ear to ear.

The new old enemy that fucks me up the most are the goddamn Floormaster swarms, surrounded in gloom. I've been marking my map with where I've seen them so I avoid those spots, since they seem to be somewhat set spawns.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Have you actually fought them yet? I've encounted them three times, twice they seemed to bug out/get caught something where they dropped loot without me actually killing them, but the one time I did hang around to kill them loving Phantom Ganon spawned out of goddamn nowhere and I don't know if that's all of them or something unique to "the one location I was in"

There's one by a stable I was chilling at, and I ran up a tree like a scared cat and it couldn't reach me. Plunked with some arrows and it did eventually seem to either give up and die, or despawn and die, hard to tell.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Purah's age isn't a great tell because she has weird devices. Could be 10 years? Could be 5, could be 1 year and she got in the brain blaster again.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

One nice bit about that is if you find a good weapon in a chest, you can just choose to replace your worst weapon/shield what have you instead of closing, opening menu, dropping garbage, and then reopening chest. Dropping from the hot swap is also pretty dope.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

African AIDS cum posted:

Anyone know how to get into the tower surrounded by thorns?

These are fun little open ended puzzles.
find a way to shade the thorns blocking the door from the rain and then Apply Fire

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Try ust covering the Just entrance, I used arrows + fruit to deliver the payload.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

9 times out of ten i'm fusing from an item that dropped on the ground after something died, or i'm fusing an arrow from the hot menu you can bring up when you shoot. The hot menu for arrows is pretty good when you sort by Most Used, i'm mostly fusing fire and bright fruits, bomb flowers, various ChuChu jellies and Keese Eyes.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I can live with rock textures and hitchy frame rate, I'm in crashes every 30ish minutes land. The autosaves make it pretty easy to just soldier on though.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Wiltsghost posted:

I posted a fix last night that stopped all my crashes. Change the memory manager mode to fast or software in ryujinx.

After that fix I've noticed a reduction in crashes but not a cease. Currently on 90 minutes without one after 2 within 60, so it's probably at least somewhat system dependent.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Khanstant posted:

I forgot about battery upgrades for a few days and then finally remembered and went from starter battery to 2.5 batteries in one swoop and it's amazing.

I presume you need to get 100 Crystals for one of these, or is it a different currency? Either way the only source I have right now for Crystals is 10 or so however quickly they respawn in the skymine on the starting island. EDIT: serves me for only reading the last couple posts

CJ posted:

How much of the depths have you explored? Try looking round under the great plateau.

I did plateau before depths fix was on the live experimental builds so I'll check that out later. The little sneaking you can do at the king's old cottage was a hoot. Kinda hard on 4 hearts too!

Shabadu fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 8, 2023

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

KingKapalone posted:

I got a big battery in one of those portable device bubbles but I don't know what batteries do.

I also don't know what the large zonai charges do differently than the small ones. They show a bigger charge indicator but the charge on a device just drains and then refills. Are my zonai charges being used for that recharge? Just getting pulled out of my inventory?

the batteries you get in bubbles are one time devices that you can stick on a vehicle to give it a full extra bit of juice. Upgrading the rechargable battery's capacity is where I'm currently stymied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

A good poster posted:

I found the secret passage in the castle which lead to a long cave system and finally ended up with the demon statue and a sealed door to the Lookout Landing emergency shelter. Does that door ever open?

yeah it opens in the shelter after you complete ???? objectives, I think a temple?