Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like people have some weird rose-tinted memory of the Great Plateau. There aren't exactly many interesting problems to solve there. Like, there's "how to get to the shrine on a mountain" and "how to deal with the cold." That's about it. What clever open-ended problem solving are people remembering exactly?

My one "gripe" about the weapon fusing in this is that it basically immediately thrusts you into later-BotW "constantly having to throw away weapons you don't want to throw away" mode. It wasn't long until all my weapons were pretty nice, because they last so much longer in this and can be replaced so frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shabadu posted:

One nice bit about that is if you find a good weapon in a chest, you can just choose to replace your worst weapon/shield what have you instead of closing, opening menu, dropping garbage, and then reopening chest. Dropping from the hot swap is also pretty dope.

Oh yeah, this was a great quality of life thing.

edit: And the dropping from hot swap is also kind of necessary for the Fuse ability (since as far as I can tell there's no way to fuse directly from the menu and you have to drop the item on the ground first).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

An Actual Princess posted:

I tried emulating it but it looked like poo poo so I’m playing it on a real switch

Same; I actually had good performance with the recent Yuzu fix, but various elements were just "off" graphically to the extent that I prefer just doing it on the Switch where there's no hassle and everything just works correctly. I figured out how to transfer saves between the Switch and PC, so I can always just switch over when emulation improves.

It'll be amazing emulated once the kinks are worked out (though it's a shame it will probably never reach the heights of CEMU BotW, which had a ton of graphical/visual upgrades).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Barreft posted:

Never use Yuzu. Use Ryujinx and RyuSAK

Ryujinx runs way worse for me (unless there's been a radical improvement in the last ~24 hours, which is possible). I couldn't get a smooth 60fps in it, while I could in Yuzu.

Infinitum posted:

Seems to be emulating pretty good thus far, though I really haven't gone anywhere other than the first leap.

New emulator versions dropping every few hours and seem to be fixing graphical issues as they go.

Hopefully in a few days it'll be sorted, and worth playing on PC.
I'm dead broke atm, so this is a massive boon

I didn't run into most of the weird graphical stuff until reaching the surface.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Barreft posted:

TOTK can only play at 30fps right now. the 60fps mod isn't good.

I mean, you can play in 60fps pretty reasonably; you'd just need to set the speed to 50% in shrines and cutscenes. I don't think it's worth the hassle when I can just play on the Switch, but it's pretty playable.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Question - is there a good way to turn objects around exactly how you want without having to keep dropping them and picking them up again? A lot of the times I can't get an object into the right position with just the rotations available and only do it through trial and error after dropping it and picking it up again a bunch. I noticed that hitting two directions at once (like up/left or down/right) makes it turn differently, but in way that I couldn't figure out. This is fortunately mainly just an issue in the shrines, where puzzles might be involved - it's less of an issue when building stuff, where you don't generally need to turn things in weird ways.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

You have access to all rotations without dropping and picking up. You can rotate it on the X and Z and every button press rotates it 45 degrees in that direction, so if you hit right twice your Z axis is what used to be the Y axis before you rotated it.

You generally don't need to have things at 45 degrees in most situations so if you just only ever hit one direction at a time and move it in two-press increments it's easier to grasp what's going on (and use ZL to get things "flat" if you accidentally get something rotated on a 45 degree increment)

Ah, somehow I was never able to figure this out. Probably because I have abysmal spatial skills.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Anyone know any solutions to this? Yuzu seems to be running perfectly other than cloud textures.

Yuzu (unless it was improved a lot in the last ~24 hours) also has various issues once you reach the surface. Seems like there are weird issues with shadows and foliage. The performance is great, though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Barreft posted:

slice it

Isn't slicing through vines identical to that literally the first thing you do on the great sky islands, lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Infinitum posted:

I have a launch day Switch, can someone point me in the right direction to get homebrew working on it?

Mate dropped around a microSD reader for me last night so I can actually do something about it

One thing I'll say about this is that it was actually more difficult than I expected (though this is largely because there are different ways to load homebrew, so some documentation I read wasn't consistent with other documentation). And the guides will mention stuff that isn't strictly necessary, like the EmuNAND partition stuff. I think that stuff might be necessary to connect to the internet from the modded Switch or something, but in my case I just set it permanently to airplane mode because I didn't want to risk my account being banned. If I were to do it again, I probably would have put more effort into seeking out a community of people I could ask about it in real-time, because that probably would have made things much more simple than trying to figure out which documentation was necessary and which wasn't.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What does Zonai-powered mean on weapons? That you should attach Zonai construct horns to them or something?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

yeah, zonai weapons get a damage bonus if you use zonai parts and zonai shields use less power when you attach zonai mechanisms

doesn't mean you have to do that, but that's their perk

Yeah, I just came across a flamethrower and noticed it worked better with it, thanks.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How do you throw items again? I remember it was explained in one of the shrines, and I want to do that to avoid wasting arrows for some stuff.

edit: Oh nevermind, I figured it out; you have to hold R before hitting up to select the material.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It feels like you come across stuff very frequently when wandering around in this. It seems like I rarely go 5-10 minutes without coming across a cave or sky rock (more often the former than the latter).

Sky stuff also never gets old and makes traveling around very easy. I was trying to make my way to one of the towers and, on the way, came across a sky rock. It doesn't seem to actually send me anywhere (I'm not sure if I got to it too late, or if it's only purpose was to send you up high), but it allowed me to easily glide to the sky tower (when previously I was having to navigate climbing a mountain with my single stamina wheel). Given its proximity to the tower, I wonder if its only purpose was to make getting to it easier (since the tower itself shot me up where I could access the stuff above the rock).

I really need to find Hestu, because I'm having to toss out weapons that I'd rather keep pretty frequently, just due to finding better stuff.

edit: I don't like those rock worm things, though. I think I'm dealing with them correctly - shoot a bomb arrow as soon as the boulder leaves their mouth, which (usually?) makes them expose their core thing, and shooting that then gives you a bit where you can run up and hit them in melee. But I've died a few times just due to the explosion radius on the bomb arrows being so large that I mistakenly kill myself. I'm not so flush on bomb arrows that I feel comfortable using them unless absolutely necessary, and I'm not sure if the resources the rock worm gave were worth the expense of 2+ bomb arrows. On the upside I'm assuming/hoping they don't respawn, since they gave me a chest when killed.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 8, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

the bad news is they respawn, the good news is you're dealing with them incorrectly, sort of-- just shoot their main body with a bomb arrow and they'll lose their rock armor and turn into a normal like like

Huh, really? My first approach was to just shoot its body (and then mouth) with bomb arrows and it didn't do anything, so I instead shot the rock it shot (which seemed to stun and slightly damage it and - usually, but not always - made it reveal its "core" in its mouth).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I swear the last time I ran into a rock one a bomb arrow just knocked it back to normal state, but I'd need to find one again to check and I have no fuckin' clue where I ran into them before (also bow damage may have an effect on the amount of damage the bomb does)

Is it possible the ones I fought were normal? I just found them in random small caves in the Lanaryu region, so not exactly the sort of areas where I'd expect to find advanced versions of enemies. They fired boulders and when they opened their mouth there would be some rock covering their "core" (which would be removed/destroyed by shooting a boulder as it exited their mouth, but I think directly shooting it with a bomb just did some damage without exposing the core).

Or do normal ones just always have their core visible?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BabyRyoga posted:

Part of it in this game might be the constant want to fuse things to arrows instead of throwing them. Bombing something? Bomb Arrow. Glowseeds? Glow Arrow. Etc.

For such a cool feature, the game punishes you a bit for using it when you should just be throwing things.

Yeah, this is what prompted me to ask in the thread about throwing stuff. I fortunately have realized pretty early that I need to stop using arrows for stuff like "clearing sludge with water."

I need to find a good source of eyes though (either from the bats or the bigger flying enemies). Those are so convenient for stuff like hunting, because I'm terrible at aiming at running animals.

Khanstant posted:

I'm happy to get a 50 or 100 rupees reward, hell, I help out sign guy because that 20 rupees helps.

I like the sign guy just because doing puzzles that involve building stuff never gets old for me, even when the puzzle is simple. I have bad spatial skills, so something as simple as "criss-crossing a couple logs and attaching them to a platform to hold up the sign" makes me feel clever.

Orienting stuff correctly (and just manipulating it in general with Ultrahand) is also getting much easier as I get more used to it.

Wiltsghost posted:

I switched over to yuzu and the game is running a lot better for me than ryu. There is a cloud fix now and everything seems to be working really well. Textures are all fixed too it seems. I would link to the reddit thread I followed, but I don't know if it's against the rules.

The latest Yuzu is working well for me as well (I also downloaded someone's shaders who completed the game, and I think they're working since I haven't had any stuttering). I haven't been to the abyss yet (which I understand was a source of problems), but everything else I've done has looked fine and run well at 60fps and 2x resolution*. A couple days ago it still looked weird.

The one issue I've encountered is that the weapon/shield icons look weird, but this isn't exactly a big deal.

* it's not clear to me if this is 1440p or 4k; I'd assume 1440p, but the edges look sharper than that. Either way it looks good.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 8, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

queeb posted:

yeah you werent lying, it really helps.

also lol you can see so far when emulating:

BotW in CEMU is particularly wild, because there are graphical mods to do stuff like increase draw distance detail. It'd be so great to be able to do something like that for this, but I'm not sure if it's as doable with the Switch version (compared to the Wii U of BotW that had all these mods).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Barreft posted:

That is TOTK

E: I guess I could've read that wrong and you actually want more draw distance, but I don't know for what since you can already see the lands all around Hyrule into infinity

Yeah I noticed you can already see pretty much indefinitely in this, but there's still a big necessary loss of detail and BotW on CEMU has a large suite of improvements. One of them is to remove (or reduce, you can choose the percent) the fog that BotW uses to obscure stuff at long range.

I would encourage anyone who hasn't tried that to do so. It's much easier to get Wii U emulation working than Switch emulation, so it's simple to get set up. The performance is also much better than emulating Switch BotW.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bardeh posted:

some of these cave systems just keep on going, seemingly forever

I've been exploring the one under Lookout Landing for a long time, found a full set of Soldier Armor, lots of ore, but then came to a dead end where an electric wall-worm thing was. Is there anything further than that down there?

I'm a huge fan of caves. Exploring open ground just isn't the same as exploring a cave. With a cave you just want to go down the tunnels and see where they lead. It inherently triggers my curiosity. It's just not the same when you can (more or less) see where you're going. "You see that mountain, you can visit it" just isn't that fun because you'll usually just find "the mountain, but closer" once you arrive. But with a cave who knows where it will lead! And in TotK there's the added element of being able to blindly travel through the ceiling (sometimes, if it's low enough).

It's basically why the Goonies movie was so popular. The idea of exploring tunnels is just inherently appealing. Probably some sort of psychology going on there.

edit: I also like how the game records cave entrances/exits you find.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One time I tried activating my boat with an axe and it just caused my entire boat to fall apart

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ugh, came across this really annoying sorta-bug in Ihen-a Shrine. In the final part where you're supposed to hit the ball across, my first attempt sent it falling into this area far below (which prevented it from respawning). After a while of confusion (about it not respawning), I noticed it was down there and went down myself so I could drop it into the void (which probably made it respawn up above). But there's no way back up, and when I fall down into the void myself it respawned me...down on the bottom area that you can't leave. So I'm basically completely stuck and have to restart the shrine, which is a huge pain because it was pretty tedious; puzzles where you have to move a bunch of platforms around are fun the first time, but not so much when repeated.

edit: God dammit, it fell down there again. This sucks! Worst shrine yet.

If anyone else remembers this one - do I need the long rectangular plate from earlier in the level? Normally I'd assume that everything necessary is provided in the room in question, but I can't think of any reasonable way to do it without that plate (but to get that plate I have to go back to the beginning of the Shrine and rebuild all the steps again...)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 11, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CJ posted:

This is the opposite of true. If you are at full health you can't be one shot so 3 hearts and some food to top you back up is perfectly viable. Get that stamina.

I'm guessing you need to be completely topped off to avoid being 1-shot? I was 1-shot by a Lizalfos yesterday at what I thought was full health, but I may have been missing a quarter of a heart or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kaboobi posted:

I've been one shot plenty even at like 10 hearts soooo yeah

I wonder if they actually changed this, because I'm pretty sure I was never one-shot in BotW. I distinctly remember fighting Lynels and repeatedly getting hit down to a quarter of a heart and healing back up.

basically yeah those armor def upgrades are important since one piece of fully-upgraded armor prevents an entire row of hearts from potentially being knocked off per attack

Ah this is interesting and might explain it. My armor right now (in TotK) is complete trash because I've just been wandering around and haven't come across any (aside from a body piece I purchased).