Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ehh, I feel the core theme of Jurassic World still works on paper, because it's ultimately the same kinda thing as what doomed the first park, hubris and capitalism. Jurassic Park was understaffed, overdesigned, over-reliant on automation and short-sighted because they didn't know what they were actually making, they just wanted to rush the product to market no matter what. Jurassic World fixed what it had to but then went the other way in having to add more, more, more for more quarterly returns and marketing gimmicks and side business, no matter how featherbrained.

In the age of techbros, the themes have aged all too well. Whether getting themselves imploded on a ghetto submarine or buying a service that works and running it into the ground because of their coke addled manchild grudges.

Everyone posted:

Which was apparently in the 1950s in the USA. And the HE presents as a black human male.

So it's sort of this scene from Lethal Weapon 2 except played straight.

Would explain why he thought he was brilliant for making that world except apparently without racial prejudice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ehh, I feel the core theme of Jurassic World still works on paper, because it's ultimately the same kinda thing as what doomed the first park, hubris and capitalism. Jurassic Park was understaffed, overdesigned, over-reliant on automation and short-sighted because they didn't know what they were actually making, they just wanted to rush the product to market no matter what. Jurassic World fixed what it had to but then went the other way in having to add more, more, more for more quarterly returns and marketing gimmicks and side business, no matter how featherbrained.

In the age of techbros, the themes have aged all too well. Whether getting themselves imploded on a ghetto submarine or buying a service that works and running it into the ground because of their coke addled manchild grudges.

That works for me. The lady in charge of the place got out fine. Her nephews got out fine. The poor woman who took the job as her assistant to maybe eventually work her way up to an executive position got grabbed, dunked and basically eaten twice. Hell the only reason the park owner got gakked was that his hubris ("Sure I can fly a helicopter in something like actual combat despite my unfinished training on it!") outweighed his survival instinct. He'll probably get a statue for his "heroism." Assistant lady's family might get to bury her in a closed casket funeral if that Mosasaurus eventually shits out any of her undigested bones.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Would explain why he thought he was brilliant for making that world except apparently without racial prejudice.

Key word: "apparently." Maybe Mowing Panda is a member of their version of the KKK?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Medullah posted:

I remember watching Jurassic World and thinking "Why would they do this again, the amount of chaos and death should mean people are smart enough to not do it"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

I’m shocked any of you remember a goddamn thing about Jurassic World

There is no more pre-#metoo era movie than Jurassic World in 2015. By virtually the next week, Hollywood had moved on from making the kind of dull sexist movie that Jurassic World is, with its one-note Han Solo character without the charm, a sex creep nerd character played for laughs, a female lead who just needs a good man to be complete, on and on. That the movie is not very good even besides the usual rote poo poo of the era is remarkable (off the top of my head, it's no World War Z, which is a fun watch despite being a male-dominated movie with no interesting characters).

Jurassic World is memorable to me as an atrocious movie that became outdated even by lovely blockbuster standards immediately. If the movie could be something besides a tedious big budget rehash, great. As it is, Colin Trevorrow proved several times over in the 2010s that he would gently caress up Star Wars even worse than what we got.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lmao

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Name Change posted:

There is no more pre-#metoo era movie than Jurassic World in 2015. By virtually the next week, Hollywood had moved on from making the kind of dull sexist movie that Jurassic World is, with its one-note Han Solo character without the charm, a sex creep nerd character played for laughs, a female lead who just needs a good man to be complete, on and on. That the movie is not very good even besides the usual rote poo poo of the era is remarkable (off the top of my head, it's no World War Z, which is a fun watch despite being a male-dominated movie with no interesting characters).

Jurassic World is memorable to me as an atrocious movie that became outdated even by lovely blockbuster standards immediately. If the movie could be something besides a tedious big budget rehash, great. As it is, Colin Trevorrow proved several times over in the 2010s that he would gently caress up Star Wars even worse than what we got.

I remember watching it immediately after Fury Road, which had the dreadnought effect of making everything else look half assed and backwards, which made it doubly jarring. Even then, though, there was a real trend away from that kind of lazy sexism. Even Bond was trying to be more self aware with its leading ladies, featuring the first Bond girl who was older than the Bond actor. Creed (the film, not a person) made a huge effort to make its leading lady feel like a real person with her own story who's story happened to intersect with the lead's. Joss Whedon's brand of feminism was out of date enough to get some pushback. Jurassic World was an anachronism when it was released and time has just made it more so.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Snowman_McK posted:

Joss Whedon's brand of feminism was out of date enough to get some pushback. Jurassic World was an anachronism when it was released and time has just made it more so.

I remember being struck by how regressively sexist it was at the time, as well, sure. But it's funny to bring up Whedon, since even he had a strong and widely-publicized critique of the movie's sexism. It was plainly lovely, and superlatively so, even to the guy whose movies immediately before and after this recycle the same joke where a superhero character accidentally buries his face in the lone woman's tits. So, it wasn't lost on most people even in 2015.

But in general, I think people have a problem with historical memory surrounding certain social topics. I've had a lot of conversations about 2000's-era pop culture where people claimed, like, "nobody in 2008 had an issue with Mad Men presenting Roger Sterling in blackface," or "people watching How I Met Your Mother were fine with Barney's predatory sexual behavior." And that 100% wasn't true, there was a lot of discussion voicing pretty contemporary complaints about both 15+ years ago.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Xealot posted:

I remember being struck by how regressively sexist it was at the time, as well, sure. But it's funny to bring up Whedon, since even he had a strong and widely-publicized critique of the movie's sexism. It was plainly lovely, and superlatively so, even to the guy whose movies immediately before and after this recycle the same joke where a superhero character accidentally buries his face in the lone woman's tits. So, it wasn't lost on most people even in 2015.

But in general, I think people have a problem with historical memory surrounding certain social topics. I've had a lot of conversations about 2000's-era pop culture where people claimed, like, "nobody in 2008 had an issue with Mad Men presenting Roger Sterling in blackface," or "people watching How I Met Your Mother were fine with Barney's predatory sexual behavior." And that 100% wasn't true, there was a lot of discussion voicing pretty contemporary complaints about both 15+ years ago.

I have a theory about that. The art survives, the controversy does not. For instance, you can go watch the classic era of the Simpsons and, if you bring it up, people will say things like 'ha, you couldn't do that now" as if it wasn't a pretty loving controversial show at the time, critiqued by a sitting US president. Part of the reason was that it made explicit the underlying lovely nature of sitcom relationships. It made the uncomfortable subtext text. They'll talk about how, back in the day, Carlin could just say whatever, as if there wasn't an obscenity trial that went to the loving supreme court. Blazing Saddles, their loving holy grail, was subversive at the time. That was the loving joke.

The people who say 'you couldn't do that now' do it reflexively.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I feel like there tends to be threshold moments with Hollywood depictions where the dominant portrayal holds on for a while even after it's getting plentiful criticism, especially in by-the-numbers blockbuster tentpoles, until there's something of a watershed moment and things seem to suddenly change, as if a barrier has been pushed and stretched until it finally bursts. Fury Road might be as good a guess as any at a turning point.

Hollywood is slow to learn and change, and movies take a long time to make, so I'm not surprised the reactions tend to be delayed. Something similar with modern video games, which gets extra interesting where big tentpoles come out still proudly repping a genre and/or formulas that everyone is already sick of, and/or get obviously hastily re-tooled mid-development because they realised halfway through they had gone all in on something nobody wants anymore.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Then why does Cyberpunk 2077 have a crafting system?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

this. i feel like if elon musk could make a dumb jurrasic park, he would, and then the dinosaurs would kill him and bunch of nazis so no major loss.

Xealot posted:

i mean whedon is funny because he is one of those ghouls who realized that all you have to do is act super upset at other movies/media doing dumb sexist poo poo and no one will care about the way worse poo poo you doing behind the scenes until it all pours out. its like those evangelicals but hiding behind progressive ideas nstead of regressive ones. but thats human nature.

Everyone posted:

That works for me. The lady in charge of the place got out fine. Her nephews got out fine. The poor woman who took the job as her assistant to maybe eventually work her way up to an executive position got grabbed, dunked and basically eaten twice. Hell the only reason the park owner got gakked was that his hubris ("Sure I can fly a helicopter in something like actual combat despite my unfinished training on it!") outweighed his survival instinct. He'll probably get a statue for his "heroism." Assistant lady's family might get to bury her in a closed casket funeral if that Mosasaurus eventually shits out any of her undigested bones.

Key word: "apparently." Maybe Mowing Panda is a member of their version of the KKK?

nah, they wouldnt even be able to keep that because its corprate brand property and then they ship the turds off to some factory in vietnam where it will be chopped up into tiny pieces and put into blind bags to sell to kids at the park as "real dino poops tm" and pretend its differnt poops from different dinos. some kid gets a ring in his.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean whedon is funny because he is one of those ghouls who realized that all you have to do is act super upset at other movies/media doing dumb sexist poo poo and no one will care about the way worse poo poo you doing behind the scenes until it all pours out. its like those evangelicals but hiding behind progressive ideas nstead of regressive ones. but thats human nature.

There was a huge thing with vocal Male Feminists all turning out to be rapists and shitbags for a while to the point where even the right picked up on it. Lol how Whedon's whole interview where he showed himself to be a weird loving lunatic was supposed to correct the record and instead it put a whole lotta poo poo into new context, amazing how much you could get away with having vaguely progressive liberal vibes just because your fetishes were different from the usual boomer freaks.

That whole strain of 'Ugh, men are just awful' feminism has aged poorly enough even without all the dudes jumping on it like 'Yeah, we're inherently awful!' You end up either outed as a predator or developing the TERF brainworms like the Sinfest guy.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There was a huge thing with vocal Male Feminists all turning out to be rapists and shitbags for a while

oh it's still very much a thing

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There was a huge thing with vocal Male Feminists all turning out to be rapists and shitbags for a while to the point where even the right picked up on it.

The Right picked up on it, but just because "Liberals are hypocrites" is always their strategy in any argument. It feeling occasionally salient is just the minute when the broken clock is right.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...amazing how much you could get away with having vaguely progressive liberal vibes just because your fetishes were different from the usual boomer freaks.

This, though, 100%. It's crazy how often the "sexual agency" of his characters so happens to take the form of horny, attention-starved nerd-girls or dominatrix-adjacent fantasy fulfillment. Half the time, they're literal sex workers. How did he do this for like 20 years?

It's also wild how much Joss Whedon punishes his women characters for being sexual in his work. And we were all so surprised when he punished Charisma Carpenter so brutally for being pregnant against his wishes. Or how, after his tone-deaf Wonder Woman script got shelved, he directed JL and threatened to destroy Gal Gadot's career.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There was a huge thing with vocal Male Feminists all turning out to be rapists and shitbags for a while..
Like last month when the Anti-Flag story broke?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Remulak posted:

Like last month when the Anti-Flag story broke?

Figures it's still a thing. That's a new one on me, though.

There's definitely some patterns of people who beat up on easy targets to gain cred, but on closer examination you realise how little actual understanding or nuance is involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Clipperton posted:

oh it's still very much a thing

did peter coffin ever get outted as one? I am pretty sure that dude faked having a gf twice and last i heard was a massive loving tankie red-brown type guy.